Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Default CA State Military Reserve

Does anyone have any experience in transferring to CSMR from another State’s SDF? Do they honor your rank, experience and professional schooling from another state?

I’m originally from CA, but have lived in NY for the last 4 years. Currently an E5 in the New York Guard (SDF) but beginning OCS this month. I’m considering moving back home to CA in a few years, at which time I will likely be a 2LT or 1LT.

Would CSMR honor my NYG service if I transferred, or would I start over as a college educated E4 again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Does anyone have any experience in transferring to CSMR from another State’s SDF? Do they honor your rank, experience and professional schooling from another state?

I’m originally from CA, but have lived in NY for the last 4 years. Currently an E5 in the New York Guard (SDF) but beginning OCS this month. I’m considering moving back home to CA in a few years, at which time I will likely be a 2LT or 1LT.

Would CSMR honor my NYG service if I transferred, or would I start over as a college educated E4 again?

The short answer is "quite probably". CSMR and NYG are the top 2 SDF's. I have heard of people moving to CA and CSMR honoring their rank/accouterments. It will depend on the recruiting rules at the time you transfer.

If you hit them with a "I was in NYG, I was a 1LT, trust me..." the answer would likely be no.

If you hit the ground running with an up-to-date, current 201 file that has all of your accolades neatly spelled-out in the proper format, then the answer is more likely yes.

These are questions for recruiting and even if you get an answer today chances are that it could change in two years so I think any attempt at a solid answer would be moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 01-03-2019, 8:35 AM

Default CA State Military Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
The short answer is "quite probably". CSMR and NYG are the top 2 SDF's.
Ha, I’m sure TXSG and GSDF would have something to say about that! But thank you for the recognition, we in NY strive to do our best within the framework provided by our TAG, and definitely look to CSMR to see how much better we can be.

Quote:
If you hit them with a "I was in NYG, I was a 1LT, trust me..." the answer would likely be no.

If you hit the ground running with an up-to-date, current 201 file that has all of your accolades neatly spelled-out in the proper format, then the answer is more likely yes.
Absolutely. As an S1 staffer I keep meticulous records, and certainly wouldn’t have gotten into the OCS program without having been able to write an effective military bio with the 201 and documentation to back it up.

And I hear you on the rest - policy today is not policy two years from now. Just curious if there was an existing “we don’t recognize commissions from other states” policy in effect. Sounds like I will cross that bridge if and when it comes to that.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 PM

Unfortunately Regulations 600-1, -2 & -3 won't recognize prior SDF service with another any other state (or Country for that matter).

California will recognize Title 10 / 14 and USPH / NOAA Officer & Warrant Officer ranks as equivalent, but for enlisted - broken time may impact your rank when you return to service (or accession as its called in the CSMR).

Not that the gaining unit (Army, Air or Navy) won't appreciate your skills. And depending on if you meet the requirements for Officer / Warrant Officer Candidate school - that is a path to Title 32 rank. There are a very limited number of Direct Commissions that can occur if you have one of the 5-6 specialized areas the State is looking for qualified leaders to run Chaplains, JAG, Medical, ICS Emergency Management and Cyber.

And yes - TSG is 3x larger than California's - but I don't think NY or TX will be bigger for much longer...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
These are questions for recruiting and even if you get an answer today chances are that it could change in two years so I think any attempt at a solid answer would be moot.
I think a solid answer to the Guard and Reserves is that in 2 years they will be more desperate than they are now.

The complicated answer is going to be in how that exactly effects recruiting and which MOS's and rank tiers will be impacted.

For example, even reservist Warehouse Clerks of E1+ who are already "IN" are getting re-enlistment bonuses of $20,000.

When I went in the only ones I saw get $20K were ACTIVE EOD techs after they went through HELL to get EOD qualified.
Old 01-07-2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
Unfortunately Regulations 600-1, -2 & -3 won't recognize prior SDF service with another any other state (or Country for that matter).

California will recognize Title 10 / 14 and USPH / NOAA Officer & Warrant Officer ranks as equivalent, but for enlisted - broken time may impact your rank when you return to service (or accession as its called in the CSMR).

Not that the gaining unit (Army, Air or Navy) won't appreciate your skills. And depending on if you meet the requirements for Officer / Warrant Officer Candidate school - that is a path to Title 32 rank. There are a very limited number of Direct Commissions that can occur if you have one of the 5-6 specialized areas the State is looking for qualified leaders to run Chaplains, JAG, Medical, ICS Emergency Management and Cyber.

And yes - TSG is 3x larger than California's - but I don't think NY or TX will be bigger for much longer...

Thank you for the response. To clarify, my Title 32 commission in NY will be meaningless in a transfer to Title 32 with CSMR?

From your perspective, where does that leave me? With my previous Title 32 NY enlisted rank of E5? Back down to E4 (with a degree)? All the way down to E1?

Old 01-07-2019, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Thank you for the response. To clarify, my Title 32 commission in NY will be meaningless in a transfer to Title 32 with CSMR?

From your perspective, where does that leave me? With my previous Title 32 NY enlisted rank of E5? Back down to E4 (with a degree)? All the way down to E1?

A man with a heartbeat and no college degree enters at E3. Most of the time college degree, police officer or EMT enters at E4. This is with zero prior service.

I could see an E5 coming in at E5 with no break in service. That certainly is more preferable than giving an 18 year old E4 because he went to 3 weekends of EMT class...but I don't make the rules.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Zperk,

Sorry - I'm just reading you what the Regs are (they used to be openly available at www.calguard.ca.gov CSMR).

As I said - there could be that a case is made for your NYSG Title 32 position, but it's not Recruiting or even MACOM's call - it's entirely up to HQ.

Just setting the expectation & hoping that it would work out for you!

Tim
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 PM

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for CSMR recruiters to get back to you? I’ve been considering joining and I’ve applied but not heard back yet. I also had some questions about CSMR like what the initial training consists of. I was also wondering if in the CSMR there are MOS’s and if there are then what the training for these jobs consists of. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for my total ignorance on the subject.
Old 03-20-2019, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmanzano View Post
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for CSMR recruiters to get back to you? I’ve been considering joining and I’ve applied but not heard back yet. I also had some questions about CSMR like what the initial training consists of. I was also wondering if in the CSMR there are MOS’s and if there are then what the training for these jobs consists of. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for my total ignorance on the subject.
I have heard nightmares about recruiting.
One cannot always believe what he hears.

Keep one thing in mind and you cannot go wrong: "It is a privilege to serve."

Here is basic info for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...litary_Reserve

Welcome
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 03-23-2019, 6:26 AM

Regarding Recruiting- like much of the CSMR, there are changes afoot. Systems and processing, including marketing are being upgraded, digitized, etc.

In short - the typical time from you filling out a (1) Interest Form, (2) Application form, (3) attending an orientation or Mini-MEPs as I call it, and (4) awaiting orders to complete your live scan. An Oath takes place shortly thereafter as Orders are cut.

I’ve seen anywhere from 1-4 months being the “norm” in the last 1-2 years but please, please PLEASE- make sure to have the originals of the required documents, bring any VA rating letters (including diagnosis) and be honest with the JAG (military lawyer) regarding any past transgressions.

The process goes much smoother!

Tim
Old 03-27-2019, 4:02 AM

A reminder and update "...per the California Military Department / California State Military Reserve (CSMR) HQ and the Government Affairs Office (Policy and Liaison) - CSMR service members, without prior federal service, do not meet the state (or federal) definition of "veteran", therefore CSMR membership does not qualify for CalVet Home Loans.
Old 08-27-2019, 3:55 PM

How does everyone feel about the name transition from State Military Reserve to State Guard? Personally, I like the new designation better. It just seems more applicable and historically accurate I guess, but that's just my .02 lol.
Old 08-27-2019, 7:44 PM

When I went to the orientation/medical eval this summer, they mentioned the name change and I thought to myself that sounds much better.
Old 05-02-2020, 1:22 AM

Hi, I'm prior service (ETS'd as a SGT) and I have a few questions for the CSG folks here:

1. What training opportunities are available on the Army side? Does the CSG have its own version of the Army's Basic Leadership Course, Advanced Leadership Course, etc or do they send their soldiers to regular Army or Army National Guard schools?

2. Is there a cyber defense component in the CSG?

3. This is a sensitive topic but I need to ask, do you ever feel looked down upon or disrespected by Army National Guard soldiers? Do they salute CSG officers?

Thanks for your service. I appreciate very much everything that CSG soldiers/airman/sailors do for the state of California!
Old 05-03-2020, 3:29 PM

M1NM - we're almost complete with the refurbishment of USCG Motor Life Boat #2 (one of the hot rods). Engines done - getting some SFPD stickers off it. Recommissioning is not far off! Down south we'll get John boats and a couple Zodiacs for floods and swift water respectively. Exciting times for our sailors!
Old 05-03-2020, 3:41 PM

Yum.... Nachos! Dammit man - you're making me hungry. I might have to do an Alberto's run. Right - on to questions:

#1 - Army side training can be a reduced amount of MOS's and in some cases - shortened duration. Yes - we have a BLC, SLC & ALC and even OCS. Each Component (Army, Air, and Maritime) have or are danger close to launching their individual Basic Orientation Course (BOC). Army has done a great job (give credit were its due) with their 3-6 month program for Prior & non-prior service types. In some cases - our service members attend courses or qualifications alongside our CAARNG, CANG or US Army / Air Force brothers and sisters.

#2 - Yes - sort of. Cyber is an ever evolving item. Let them know you have IT skills - they will keep track of you!

#3 - It's really difficult for National Guard troops or airmen to tell the difference from CA State Guard in many cases. They are required to render salutes or military courtesy to anyone of higher rank, regardless of their Branch or Title 10 vs 32 affiliation. That said -I've had people cross the street just to avoid MARPAT style uniforms (or CALPAT as we called them). So it happens regardless. The best advise is to gauge each situation on its merit and circumstances. If a gaggle of soldiers passes by, and the senior enlisted or officer doesn't render proper courtesy - and I overhear them joking about it - I will pull the senior individual aside and educate them about AR600-20, and perhaps toss in if they don't meet AR670-1 regulations while I'm at. Normally - I use it as a friendly exchange and diffuse such situations - One Team - One Fight.

Always glad to provide the feedback I can! Anyone can adjust my fire or course correction if I got anything wrong.

S/f,

LT (CA) Grizzle
Old 05-03-2020, 4:12 PM

LT Grizzle,

Thank you very much for that info. It answered all my questions.

I was in the CAARNG (40th ID) years ago and would occasionally see CSMR (now CSG) troops out and about. I always rendered the proper courtesy to them.

I'll call a recruiter about cyber opportunities.

V/R,
Nacho
Old 05-03-2020, 4:46 PM

Thanks for your service - first and foremost!

Outstanding regarding your interest! Please visit https://calguard.ca.gov/csg/ and either email or call with your interest in serving again.

You can also visit: https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov/ which we're reworking for an automated accession process (mini-MEPS online).

LT Grizzle
Old 05-14-2020, 4:28 PM

After a long wait, a few weekends ago I was finally sworn into the CSG Maritime Component. I'm ready to go to work!
Old 05-14-2020, 6:58 PM

Rock On! Welcome Aboard!!
Old 05-15-2020, 9:54 AM

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2020, 8:35 AM

I just wanted to give a shoutout to the CSG folks - I just got off a COVID-19 mission working alongside CSG medical teams and they were absolutely fantastic. They brought huge experience from their civilian occupations which was essential to the mission. Everyone of them were professionals and highly motivated despite the difficult conditions. Can't wait to work with them again.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:10 PM

I have a question for you State Guard guys. I was talking to an old friend last weekend. He is a retired marine. He mentioned that when he retired he missed serving, and of course, the subject of riots were discussed. I suggested he should have looked at the CSMR. He has health problems now, so that's not an option, but did the State Guard deploy in any way during the recent riots?

Mauserguy
Old 07-13-2020, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
I have a question for you State Guard guys. I was talking to an old friend last weekend. He is a retired marine. He mentioned that when he retired he missed serving, and of course, the subject of riots were discussed. I suggested he should have looked at the CSMR. He has health problems now, so that's not an option, but did the State Guard deploy in any way during the recent riots?

Mauserguy
Yes and no. People worked the EOCs as liaisons, and some did security at the armories. Got paid about $300 a day for 6 days for ESAD. However, I did not see anyone get to go to the front lines.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 02-21-2021, 2:08 PM

Greetings everyone! Great news! The California State Guards EMERGENCY RESPONSE COMMAND has officially been stood up!

We had our first UTA yesterday and I must say that it's an honor to be one of the first members of this new unit and be part of California's military history.

And there's more great news.... We are actively recruiting!

For those who haven't heard of the Emergency Response Command and are interested, the mission of ERC is to be ready to respond on short notice to natural and man-made disasters throughout California. The ERC is designed to focus on security missions as well as man-made or natural disasters. There are two subordinate detachments within the ERC, Team Blaze and Team Shield. Team Blaze is responsible for providing forces for wildland firefighting, mass casualty and general disaster response. Team Shield is a security force that is tasked to conduct fixed point security at both military and governmental infrastructure. Additionally, Team Shield can augment and support civil authorities for operations such as traffic and access control during disasters such as fires, earthquakes, and others. Follow the link for more information: https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov/public...ponse-command/

For those current CSG members interested in joining either Team Blaze or Team Shield of the Emergency Response Command, contact your chain for further information. For non-CSG members interested in joining the ERC, check out the above link to find out more information and to contact a recruiter.

Thanks!

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 02-22-2021 at 4:40 AM..
Old 02-22-2021, 7:43 AM

Hooah to this Nevets!

Yes - a new Security Forces command, Medical, Fire are all happening. Cyber is still a work in progress.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:27 AM

Absolutely, Tim! Things are lookin' good!

Hey rkt88edmo, did you receive my response? I tried to send it a couple times but my phone and internet are acting up...
Old 02-23-2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
#1 - Army side training can be a reduced amount of MOS's and in some cases - shortened duration.
Is there anywhere I can find more detailed information regarding training? I'm curious about what sorts of specializations are available, and what they entail in terms of training. The main reason I'm tempted to join the CSG is to receive military/emergency training and serve as emergency response while avoiding being shipped overseas NG-style.
Old 02-23-2021, 5:07 PM

@ QuadrupleTensor - Thanks for your interest in joining the California State Guard! You can go to https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov and click the "join" tab at the top to be contacted by a recruiter. They can answer all your questions about training and certification offered by the CSG. Also, if you have Facebook, you can join the California State Guard forum and post questions for active members who can answer in more detail and probably in a much more timely manner. I know the CSG website is very general with regards to details and specifics about training and the like...

Last edited by nevets; 02-23-2021 at 5:08 PM.. Reason: Add nsme
Old 02-23-2021, 5:26 PM

I can clarify my previous message.

In US Armed Forces training and most / many of the National Guard courses are longer and more involved than State Guard training.

There are some courses where SG troops will attend courses alongside their NG counterparts.

Otherwise many of the general and specialized SG training is a compressed or otherwise relaxed version of Title 10 training.

Not that it will necessarily be easy either way.
Old 02-28-2021, 7:41 AM

Exactly what tim said. Our title 10 and NG counterparts are going to have longer and typically more physically intensive courses than State Guardsmen. You also have to keep in mind that our title 10 and NG buddies are training to go to war. The California State Guard, and state defense forces in general, are NOT war fighters. That being said, you will find many training opportunities in the CSG to be both physically and mentally taxing and you will find plenty of stress inoculation in many of the courses such as OCS, WOCS, and NCO courses. Some units may offer specialized training courses organic to that particular unit. For instance, my previous unit before I transferred to the ERC was able to do training courses at the Los Angeles County sheriff's Department shoot house where we engaged in active shooter force on force drills utilizing weapons that fired simunitions (I still have a scar from three years ago on my elbow frim being hit). In addition, new recruits to that unit are required to complete a training course called BETA phase (basic entry training and assessment) or as we call it "red phase." it's carried out over the course of about 6 months during drill weekend and you will be in formation before the sun comes up to do your APFT and if you mess up or mess around, you'll have one of the training cadre in your face to correct you. It's not like army boot camp but we have on occasion had recruits transfer to other units after realizing this unit may not be what they were looking for.

In addition, members of the Maritime component and members of the Emergency Response Command are required to complete an Arduous Physical Duty Test. You can follow this link to get the current CSG physical fitness requirements, as well as the arduous physical duty requirements:

https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov/public...a-state-guard/

Last edited by nevets; 02-28-2021 at 7:53 AM.. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 03-02-2021, 3:59 PM

I've been with the CSG Maritime component for about ten months now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I went to BOC (now called Basic Training) last year in November and there was a little bit of stress involved, not much as it's mostly classroom, but there was a fair bit of yelling in your face if you messed up something during marching or if you were caught falling asleep during classes. At least that was my experience.
Old 04-29-2021, 6:09 PM

Team Shield of the California State Guards Emergency Response Command just made the news!!!

"The California State Guard activates its O.C.- based unit for disaster response" - LA Times

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...aster-response
Old 05-04-2021, 11:54 AM

Fyi, for anyone interested, the California State Guard Emergency Response Commands wildlands firefighting unit, Team Blaze, will be hosting a recruiting/training event at Camp Roberts 21-23 MAY 2021. Check out the link below for more info and to sign up.

https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov/public...ruiting-event/

Old 09-02-2021, 10:45 PM

What is the status on recruitment at this time? I am now over the one year mark since I applied and went to the State guard version of MEPS at Los Alamitos and have not heard back since.

I have emailed the recruiter for any status updated and have not head back. I was told at Los Al that my application looked good and I should be hearing something but so far nothing.

I'm just guessing, but I'm assuming since we are in a pandemic that things in Sacramento might be not running smoothly.

Any new news would be welcomed.
Old 09-19-2021, 7:11 AM

ShastaCola,

I know exactly what you're going through. When I came in to the CSG and 2013, it took me about a year to access. This is been an ongoing problem and it's something they're still trying to fix today. My best advice would be to stay on your recruiter or whoever your POC is for whatever point in the accession process you're at, and just keep calling and emailing. It may take a while but it will go through in time.
Old 09-19-2021, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Yes and no. People worked the EOCs as liaisons, and some did security at the armories. Got paid about $300 a day for 6 days for ESAD. However, I did not see anyone get to go to the front lines.
When the 1992 LA riots started CSMR deployed to the front lines (armed with ammo). As the NG deployed (armed with no ammo) CSMR pulled back to support positions. We ended up using the big Scottish Rite building on Wilshire. They had a big hall, kitchen and were happy to see us as someone had started a fire in their lobby.
Old 09-20-2021, 5:28 AM

Shasta - a year does seem long to me. There have been many improvements (systems, websites, processes) which should streamline accessions - yours included. But there were several years when a unified recruiting effort was disbanded and each component (Army, Air, Maritime) had to do their own recruitment efforts. We once again have joint recruiting effort, so things should get smoother.

I'd agree with Nevets - reach out to your POC or recruiter and ask if you have any medical or legal holds.

As for Covid messing things up - well - the business of the Guard is to deal with fires, floods, riots and earthquakes (and now outbreaks). So the organization should be able to accomplish its various support missions despite XX event going on.

Looking forward to hearing about you in action soon!
Old 09-26-2021, 3:33 PM

I would like to personally thank everyone that responded to my question. Your responses are the first and only news since I applied. As for reaching out to my recruiter, I have averaged sending an email about every six weeks asking for any news. No response. The only possible delay is as somebody mentioned is a med hold. I am at 50% disability but nothing mental or with PTSD. I was airborne and I have back and knee issues as well as a constant ringing in my ears. But that is just a huge guess. Basically I have not heard anything for over a year. Maybe if I reapply and go through the same process with a recruiter again?