Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-18-2014, 8:29 AM

Default Open carry fixed blade knife in Alameda County?

Does anyone have a link to an official website, or reliable information on laws specific to Alameda County regarding openly carrying fixed blade knives? I've searched around and can't seem to find anything specific to Alameda County.

I've looked at the sticky here which states, "UN-CONCEALED FIXED BLADE KNIVES may be legal, depending on where you are." I'm just looking for anything that may be specific to Alameda County.

For example, is it legal to carry a sheathed 4 1/4" fixed blade Kephart knife on my belt while walking down the street in the middle of Hayward? What about while hiking at local parks such as Garin, Lake Chabot, Mission Peak, Redwood, etc?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Try the County and city and park web sites.

You should look for 'weapons', 'dangerous weapons' as well as 'knife' - some codes make a definition that includes knives and then restricts the defined term.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-18-2014, 1:14 PM

I did a Google search against the Alameda County and Alameda County Sheriff's websites and didn't find anything. For East Bay parks, I did find this document which on page 5, "SECTION 403. FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS" states:

Quote:
Restriction.
Except as provided in subsection 403.2 of this Section, no person shall have in his/her possession within the District, nor shall any person fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged, across, in, or into any portion of the District any gun or firearm, spear, bow and arrow, cross bow, sling shot, air or gas weapon, or any other dangerous weapon.
It makes no mention of knives (except if thrown, presumably).

I would think that there would be a list of local laws available somewhere but I just can't seem to find anything.

Thanks Librarian.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Since you are not finding much it would be best to call Hayward police department and ask. If they say their is a restriction ask for the PC.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaShooter View Post
Since you are not finding much it would be best to call Hayward police department and ask. If they say their is a restriction ask for the PC.
Better to check the city web site - on the phone, sometimes the answers one gets are a bit inaccurate.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-19-2014, 4:42 AM

Looks like 9.12.050 defines a fixed blade knife and a knife over three inches long as a dangerous weapon.

9.12.060 prohibits the use of dangerous weapons by, or the furnishing of dangerous weapons to, minors, except with their parents, basically.

Other than that county law looks ok but you might want to dig around that section see if you see anything else interesting.
Old 09-19-2014, 6:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. If I uncover anything more specific, I'll reply back here. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Better to check the city web site - on the phone, sometimes the answers one gets are a bit inaccurate.
I feel the same. That is why I suggested asking for the Penal Code if they say their is any restriction.
Old 08-03-2018, 8:00 AM

Cool It's a good question,

Important question, any updates?
Old 08-11-2018, 6:58 AM

Years ago, (70's, 80's) we always understood it to be lawful to carry a fixed knife on your belt for example, as long as you were not concealing in any way, shirt tucked in. My friend and myself would both carry Buck knives like the 120 when we were hiking, etc. Used to see guys often doing the same in public. Not so much nowadays. Never had an issue, though I can't speak to current laws.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 PM

I dunno about Alameda specifically, but CA parks have a general standing rule of "carrying no weapons" or something to that extent. So no open carry fixed blade knives in CA state parks in Alameda.

I was camping at a CA state park this summer out by Tahoe, with my fixed blade on my belt clip, walking by the check-in station when a park ranger (deputy? police? he was armed anyway) noticed the knife, and told me I had to take it off, and put it away.