Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-07-2018, 9:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Riverside - Glock 29, Non-Standard Calibers

Does anyone know how to qualify with a Glock 29 or any less common caliber in Riverside County?

I am done with my interview and live scan, just need to finish qualification tomorrow at Wrenn Ranch. The standard requirements for live fire with all training facilities seem to be: (1) OWB holster, (2) retaining strap or Level 2, (3) model-specific holster, (4) list of "allowed calibers."

Sounds somewhat reasonable, except that it's not how the guns are typically carried and it doesn't cover all calibers. My initial three guns are S&W 1911 PC 4.25, HK USP 9c and Kahr PM9. These are pretty standard, yet even with this selection I had hard time finding an OWB holster for Kahr that has a strap. The holster I got is certainly not something that I will use for Kahr - I have a pocket holster and an IWB.

So, if one wants to qualify with 10mm (Glock 29; for hiking and outdoors), or wants to try different guns for which OWB holster might be hard to get (Kimber Solo; would renew only one of Kahr/Kimber), is there a training facility or a way to get this done?

If I go strictly by the book, they won't let me shoot 10mm in any configuration, and they won't let me qualify with Solo unless I have an OWB *with* a strap and that is *not* a generic nylon holster.

Any help here is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Approved calibers for Riverside County are .380 to .45.
As long as your OTW holster fits your firearm securely there should be no issue. The holster you qualify with does not have to be the holster you use for ccw. I used the same holster for all different guns during my range qualification.
Old 09-10-2018, 9:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Where did you take your qualification?

Here is my story from last Saturday. The website states that holsters must be OWB and that they must have some retention mechanism beyond friction. In reality, people had all sorts of holsters, and kydex without latch was completely acceptable. This is what I would expect, as those are the types of holsters people normally carry.

Also, there was a guy with an IWB holster. He wasn't allowed to use it as IWB, but he was allowed to use it as OWB where the belt goes *over* the holster (like IWB, just not tucked into the pants). This again makes sense since one can qualify with a carry holster, but in the "safe configuration" for the class. My concern was that I would have to buy a throwaway OWB holster for every gun I wanted to qualify with.

When drawing and shooting, I didn't buckle up the strap. This was just a matter of convenience and a welcome simplification. My reasoning was that the instructors were busy enough helping others with stance and shooting, so they wouldn't care how my holster was set up once they realized that I knew what I was doing. Similarly, I had a vest that would cover the gun, but they didn't force me to wear it. Another welcome simplification at 107 degrees.

At the end of the class, I talked to the guys about G29 and they said that their website doesn't list it, but that "they are okay with it." Looks like I can get in touch with them and qualify at a later time. If it remains reasonable the way it was last Saturday, I can show up with quality IWB holster that I would normally wear (without extra strap), set it up as OWB and shoot the qualification.

In summary, if they allow regular carry holsters (including "IWB as OWB" configuration) and allow 10mm, there should be no problem whatsoever.

Hope this helps others who are qualifying in Riverside County.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:31 AM

I did my class/qual for my Riverside CCW with Riverside Sheriff at Ben Clark. See my post here. The stated "rules" for Ben Clark was that you are required to have a backstrap on the holster. In reality, as long as it wasn't a cross-draw on your plate carrier OR a SERPA style holster, it was fine. The majority of people had IWB with their shirt tucked in (Open Carry IWB) and the range staff was fine with it. They were not looking for backstraps at all. As long as your holster secured the weapon so it doesn't fall it, it was fine. We even had people with Walmart special Uncle Mike's OWB generic "fits all guns" holster. My good friend was one of these people because she has a revolver that is a bit rare and finding a holster to fit it is a challenge.
Old 09-10-2018, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Great - thanks. The only reason I didn't do Ben Clark is that there was an earlier class available locally. I will consider it next time.

A question, though. If you were to add guns to your CCW, can you go to Ben Clark and just shoot qualification? I can't find anything online - their website doesn't even talk about CCW. Should I just call them?
Old 09-10-2018, 5:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did my qualification at Ben Clark. Their main concern was that the holster retains the weapon, ie... holster the weapon and turn upside down.
Old 09-10-2018, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Wouldn't a g29 fit into a g21 safariland holster with als?
I have that holster if you want to check
Old 09-10-2018, 5:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
A question, though. If you were to add guns to your CCW, can you go to Ben Clark and just shoot qualification? I can't find anything online - their website doesn't even talk about CCW. Should I just call them?
http://www.riversidesheriff.org/ccw/

Last year they said no adding/removing weapons from your permit until renewal. However, I dont know if this is still the case.
Old 09-12-2018, 1:28 PM

The Riverside Deputy Instructor told us during the CCW class that calibers from .380 to .45 were OK, and he made sure to point out .357 Magnum is fine (numerically smaller than .380 to the layman), and said .44 Magnum is fine too if that's what you want to carry. There is no problem with 10mm, in fact I know of one for sure was used during Qual.