Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 12-14-2019, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Default TX CalGunners post here

I am in the Hill Country area North of Austin and I know there are more than a few of you guys that have moved to the surrounding vicinity.

Post up here if you have anything TX related to share.
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 12-14-2019 at 5:23 PM..
Old 12-14-2019, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
March 29, 2019

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 12-22-2021 at 9:19 PM..
Old 12-14-2019, 5:56 PM

Up in DFW. I'm hoping Texas starts to improve lived 29 years in California no major problems. Living here a little over a month car broken into and after $2000 dollars damage. I'm gunna need things to improve before I feel this was the right call.
Old 12-14-2019, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In The Pits View Post
Up in DFW. I'm hoping Texas starts to improve lived 29 years in California no major problems. Living here a little over a month car broken into and after $2000 dollars damage. I'm gunna need things to improve before I feel this was the right call.
Don’t you have a $500 deductible?

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
March 29, 2019
Old 12-14-2019, 8:25 PM

I had a very expensive sound system and in the move the receipts were lost so it was my word of what was stolen and they were only offering to repair the broken window and the factory system. There was also some penalty to make a claim because I still had a California policy but was a Texas resident so I had failed to change my policy to reflect this change. So I just bit the bullet and took care of it myself.
Old 12-15-2019, 6:58 AM

I moved to unincorporated McLennan county about 15 miles south/southwest of Waco and it was the right call for us. My wife, who I tried to persuade to move out of California for 25 years, said she can't imagine why we didn't move years and years earlier. There was a little culture shock for her because the nearest grocery store is still far enough away that, if you forgot it, you wait until you need to go into town for something else- there is no "quick trip to Stater Bros.

She went from not wanting to eat chickens that a buddy raised as meat birds to telling me to go kill another wild hog because we're low on pork. She still won't eat venison but she'll cook it, and even use "her" pans instead of "my" cast iron. We have a flock of about 20 laying hens and 2 roosters that went from being my responsibility to being HER chickies. They get the leftovers that the dogs used to enjoy, plus anything that results from cleaning out the fridge. Yes, she'll cook outdated food for her chickies.

And Health Camp was a disappointment except for their shakes. Mediocre food but great shakes. Much rather go to Buzzard Billy's and sit out on the deck or Twisted Root for a decent burger.
Old 12-16-2019, 4:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So far lived in Buda, Cedar Creek (Bastrop Co.) and now Wimberley. I can tell you Bastrop is being taken over by folks who can't afford Austin but really really want Bastrop to turn into Austin. They are annexing and taxing the hell out of everyone to pay for it. Sucks because I really liked it over there. Wimberley has always been my wife's favorite part of Texas so here we are...
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 12-22-2019, 8:00 AM

Arrived in Arlington in late 2015. Finally got off my rear and got my LTC this month.

We are at the bottom of a cul-de-sac off the bottom of a dead end street. One way in, one way out, narrow field of fire--pretty quite back here--strangers stick out. A few neighbors had some stuff stolen from their vehicles at night awhile back. Not break-ins, just handle flippers. Dipsticks forgot to lock the doors.

Yeah, something rural would be nice, but wife and I are getting "older", and the convenience of stuff close by is nice too. Oil change light came on in my truck. Hadn't seen that for awhile, so checked my last receipt. In 12 months, I drove less than 3000 miles. I fill up when ever gas gets close to $2/gallon. Our house (paid cash) is all electric, no gas. Our August bill was $146.

Life is good.
Old 01-02-2020, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
So far lived in Buda, Cedar Creek (Bastrop Co.) and now Wimberley. I can tell you Bastrop is being taken over by folks who can't afford Austin but really really want Bastrop to turn into Austin. They are annexing and taxing the hell out of everyone to pay for it. Sucks because I really liked it over there. Wimberley has always been my wife's favorite part of Texas so here we are...
i live in Cedar Park, in Williamson County, which just LOWERED their property tax rate this year. I don't even like to VISIT California any more.
Old 01-03-2020, 6:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkr View Post
i live in Cedar Park, in Williamson County, which just LOWERED their property tax rate this year. I don't even like to VISIT California any more.
I like Cedar Park. I have a couple friends that live up that way. Been to a few gun shows at the complex there.

I haven't been back to CA one single time since I left in 2012. Closest I've gotten was flying to AZ for work.
Old 02-09-2020, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In The Pits View Post
Move to Burnet Co. almost no crime here.
Old 02-09-2020, 6:24 PM

Just moved to Hood County last month from So Cal. It’s all been as a good as I expected or better. No regrets whatsoever. Haven’t spend any time on gun stuff as I’ve been busy getting settled. Carrying on an AZ CCW and awaiting 6 months to apply.
Old 02-16-2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iropem View Post
Carrying on an AZ CCW and awaiting 6 months to apply.
Why wait?

6 years in DFW now after escaping from NorCal. No regrets.
Old 03-03-2020, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Moved to the Odessa/Midland area in September, 2014, took a transfer with the company I work for and we're enjoying the freedom. I wish there was more greenery around here though. LOL

A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
Old 03-25-2020, 2:46 AM

Enjoy your freedom guys.
Been to Texas a few times and loved every minute of it.
I wish I had your luck. Being able to escape for a new life.
Old 03-25-2020, 3:46 AM

Round Rock, TX here. Moved Oct 2013 from the Alhambra/Pasadena area in SoCal. Closed escrow on 4bd 2ba home in Sept 2014. Best decision EVER! Oh, just filled my fuel tank @ $1.52 for 87.
Old 03-28-2020, 7:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Defense View Post
Enjoy your freedom guys.
Been to Texas a few times and loved every minute of it.
I wish I had your luck. Being able to escape for a new life.
Its not luck its a mountain of hard work with a good payoff at the end. Just like shooting, line up your target and do what it takes to hit it.
Old 04-11-2020, 7:09 PM

Moved to McKinney in late 2017. Originally from Fresno. It's been a challenge for the wife and kids, but time is working on them. Been back to Cali once...to get all my guns and safes. If any of you are on TGT I have the same username there. Can't believe gas has dropped to $1.17/gallon.
Old 04-12-2020, 7:49 AM

"If any of you are on TGT I have the same username there".

Do tell. Same here. Check your intro thread there.
Old 04-13-2020, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaxman View Post
Why wait?

6 years in DFW now after escaping from NorCal. No regrets.
Gotta be a TX resident for 6 months prior to CCW application
Old 04-19-2020, 2:24 PM

Almost 4 years now in East Texas just south of Tyler. Picked the Big Piney Woods because of all the greenery, trees and lakes. I live in a small town of a few thousand and it is very conservative and folksy here but each year there are a few hundred Dallas liberals building their retirement homes here. Why these pinkos would want to move to a conservative, small town Bible belt community is beyond me, but the BMWs and Range Rovers with the rainbow stickers are now showing up at the grocery store parking lot more often. Worst part is that the locals are so darn nice they don’t want to offend anyone which results in the newbies walking all over folks with their collective whining about noise, smells and hunting that occur near “their” homes.

Reminds me a lot of what happened in Sacramento
Old 04-20-2020, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdr_11 View Post
Almost 4 years now in East Texas just south of Tyler. Picked the Big Piney Woods because of all the greenery, trees and lakes. I live in a small town of a few thousand and it is very conservative and folksy here but each year there are a few hundred Dallas liberals building their retirement homes here. Why these pinkos would want to move to a conservative, small town Bible belt community is beyond me, but the BMWs and Range Rovers with the rainbow stickers are now showing up at the grocery store parking lot more often. Worst part is that the locals are so darn nice they don’t want to offend anyone which results in the newbies walking all over folks with their collective whining about noise, smells and hunting that occur near “their” homes.

Reminds me a lot of what happened in Sacramento
Leftist liberals are locusts, its what they do.

They sure do seem a lot like the early American pioneers that they hate so much... weird eh?
Old 05-01-2020, 6:04 AM

Former LA resident now living in the DFW area for the past couple years. No plans on moving back!
Old 05-28-2020, 9:35 AM

moved back home to Tx a decade+ ago, grew up here in Tx. Joined calguns while living in the PRK. Still on the forum.
Old 05-28-2020, 6:52 PM

Texas resident to be......Closing on a house in San Antonio.....my NV CCW I got when I lived in Vegas just expired but my FL non-resident license is still good till 2021, I think I am good until I can get my Tx license.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:41 PM

I attended Texas A&M back in 1984 but didn't do well juggling academics and the Corps of Cadet program (ROTC). I wasn't mature enough to leave the nest and went back to home. Second attempt to leave the nest had better results and that experience helped me thru USMC Boot Camp in 1985.

My brother moved his family to Austin about 8-10 years ago when he took a new position with his company. He's experienced both good and bad things since leaving the PRC but overall feels it was best for his 2 young kids. The few times they visited our parents in LA, the more and more they're shocked by how bad things have become.

I'm still in the PRC but moved to Roseville in Placer County almost 5 years ago. Love the area and dream of the State of Jefferson. Back in reality, I'm planning my move to Nevada when my employer establishes telecommuting permanently. After I reach 25 or more years of service, I'm moving (and taking my PRC pension with me) to Texas, Wyoming or South Dakota. In retirement, I might go back to TAMU and finish my degree... or just go fishing, take up hog hunting and explore the country on my motorcycle.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT

Last edited by jigenax; 05-30-2020 at 5:43 PM..
Old 06-05-2020, 7:45 PM

I’ve been in Texas For 9 months and love it. I’m a bit north of San Francisco East (Austin). The liberals have really turned that city into a sht hole.
Old 06-05-2020, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmxracer View Post
I’ve been in Texas For 9 months and love it. I’m a bit north of San Francisco East (Austin). The liberals have really turned that city into a sht hole.
Same here I knew I wanted to be near but well outside of Austin excellent choice.

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
March 29, 2019
Old 06-05-2020, 8:34 PM

El Paso Here. Any other West Texas clagunners here?

Its been great enjoying real freedom.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:23 PM

Wow, just discovered this subforum only today, had no idea.

Tarrant County resident here. Been in TX since the start of 2018. My wife and I consider ourselves Texans, not ex-Californians. It has been an awesome life here, just wished we did it earlier.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM

I grew in So Cal during the 50s then bounced around the world with the Army for 9 years (2 Germany and 2 Viet Nam tours) - flying job with Continental A/L in L.A. until 1979 then moved (for 4 years) to Hawaii (still with the Airline) - married a Tejas gal while in Hawaii and we moved to Amarillo - 4 years there then I moved to Houston (still with the Airline) - retired there in '99 (after 31 years) but moved to E Tejas 2 years ago (just north of Tyler) - on 20 acres - have 4 adopted Horses and 3 of our 4 dogs are adopted.....that was my final relocation

Have Sister still in Oxnard - also a good (H.S.) buddy in Escondido that I've kept in contact all these years - I get out west infrequently (reunions and such) - don't care to see what's happened to a once wonderful State

Last edited by Ex Pat; 10-27-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Old 11-27-2020, 3:01 AM

I'm a California native, born in Redwood City, lived in San Mateo, then Chico, then Sacramento/Elk Grove/Wilton for the last 20 years. Now I live in New Braunfels, TX right in between Austin and San Antonio (Hill Country) and wish I had done it sooner! Since being here (August) I've exercised the **** out of my 2nd amendment rights and have bought 2 suppressors and 2 handguns. Property taxes here suck but the cost of living (utilities, groceries, fuel, insurance etc) is still overall way cheaper and I finally feel like I live in America and my tax money goes to what it should! Texas Gun Trader is an awesome site and it's also nice to be able to have ammo (when in stock) shipped to my house and be able to buy anything from an online reseller or gunbroker and only pay $25 for a local gun shop to do the background check in like 8 minutes and walk out. I giggle every time! :-) God blessed Texas!
Old 12-04-2020, 6:53 PM

Welcome to all fellow escapees.

We escaped from PRK in 2014, when the wife and I retired at 55. We had a 2 year plan in implementing our retirement. We bought 1.7 acres about 4 miles S-SW of Azle, Texas (we're technically in the Weatherford tax area) and built the house in 2013. Then we revamped our house and our condo (for the kids to live in while attending college) in Santee and sold those mid 2014. Built the workshop with the ultimate mancave in 2015. Love it here. A couple of pictures in the link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/groce/...57717164211491

Last edited by San_Diego_Shooter; 12-04-2020 at 9:08 PM..
Old 12-05-2020, 8:58 AM

San Antonio.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 01-15-2021, 3:54 AM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

I was wondering if we’d ever ever an ex-Pat page too...just been busy working (Texas allows that) and not browsing the forum outside of my regular watering holes so much when I have been checking in.

Moved from from Solano County to Denton County / north of Frisco in 2017.

Used to shoot at Concord...but then it closed and seems only recently did they reopen and that seemed like an eternity and quite honestly I wasn't optimistic it would ever open again.

I like do enjoy the freedoms here...but feel we are a generation or so away from the threats to those freedoms arriving on our door step here too with all the transplants and indifference of our offspring.

I do miss my LGS in Vallejo and duck hunting the Sac Valley...it’s only been a few years away at this point....and relationships persist back in my old stomping ground, but common enemy of anti-gun single party rule not being here in Texas I feel has somehow made me soft. I think being in that environment for years and seeing erosion of rights make us a particularly politically astute bunch. I don’t see myself ever going back to my old stomping grounds on a permanent basis...as there isn’t much there for me anymore and the exodus from places like the Bay Area is real thing.
Old 01-17-2021, 1:00 PM

ENTHUSIAST : ya might wanna resize your pic (smaller) before posting
Old 01-17-2021, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

I got kinfolk in GAtesville. I was there a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-22-2021, 8:06 AM

Hello all,

I found this sub-forum fortuitously because my wife and I have plans to move to Texas in about a year or so.
After extensive research on school quality, crime, and demographics we are highly considering the DFW Suburbs [NE area]. Our good friends and children's God-Parents just moved to Austin so that is on our radar but, DFW seems to be a better fit, from afar.

As I am one for thoroughness, we will be flying out there in a few months and spending a couple weeks to extensively examine both areas. I am curious if anyone here could shed any light on the areas and help us make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2021, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkr View Post
Say whaaaat? I hadn’t heard of this. That’s awesome. I moved to Wilco from Bell county and the property tax in Wilco is a kick in the junk
Old 01-23-2021, 1:22 AM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK75 View Post
Hello all,

I found this sub-forum fortuitously because my wife and I have plans to move to Texas in about a year or so.
After extensive research on school quality, crime, and demographics we are highly considering the DFW Suburbs [NE area]. Our good friends and children's God-Parents just moved to Austin so that is on our radar but, DFW seems to be a better fit, from afar.

As I am one for thoroughness, we will be flying out there in a few months and spending a couple weeks to extensively examine both areas. I am curious if anyone here could shed any light on the areas and help us make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance.
I’d probably be best to PM and we can exchange numbers to chat.

There is a saying ex-pats have here in regards to our former home... Texas, great place to raise a family, not so much to visit...California, great place to visit, not so much to raise a family.

Worked in Silicon Valley for 15+ years and commuted for about 10+ years of it from the North bay/ WFH / and living in South Bay for a bit. Company I worked for bought a Dallas company and I traveled here off and on ever since 2001 and moved to DFW in 2017 after my wife finally saw the writing on the wall for schools...but most importantly...quality of life.

I can give you a perspective of someone that has been here a few years more permanently and tell you more about where in DFW to look based on the stage of life you are at....meaning if schools are #1 vs. space / land or food or growth prospects etc.

I can’t tell you much about Austin area comparatively but it is said to be more cosmo and is dubbed to be ‘Austin weird’ and had a lot of earlier academic transplants and high tech in years prior and it likely draws that crowd and vibe still. Food is probably better in Austin area....and they have hills....Dallas is about as flat as any 6mm cartridge shoots...but if you have family in Austin it’s a good reason to travel. Not uncommon for people to make that drive here for the weekend.

As for food....I just bought a smoker so I’m probably gonna make my own now as our pandemic cooking skills certainly have escalated....as has our cocktail making ability. In reality DFW food should catch up over time. It has a lot of people coming in with $ and the market is here for sure.

Personally...if you can get in...North Dallas is where the growth is for the next few years...I’ve seen the area change a lot living north of Frisco the past few years. The ranchers have started to sell some land, Jerry Jones and Perots have made out well on selling/developing for residential and commercial interest.

Places like McKinney /Allen / Frisco are maturing and in Allen’s case look to be built out. North of 380 is starting to pick up. The North Dallas Tollway just got the overpass up over 380 and it should be operational this year....meaning places like Celina are next on the build path with good schools and lots of land. There are some nuggets in between still with 1-2 acre minimums on the lots but that depends on your price range. We looked seriously at some of those areas like Lucas, Fairview...but being from out of the area we picked north of Frisco area. More dense residential building but my kids have friends and the streets ... remind me of the streets of old in my neighborhoods in the 80’s...kids outside.

One thing I know is that it would be hard for me to move to the Bay Area again...we were 3-4 generations deep and still have family but find ourselves recruiting a lot...and now that I’m here I’m telling people to leave their politics behind. Don’t move all the way out here and mess things up to be like the place you left from.

Vince