Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

If you carry a G19, one should try to get one of those combo laser/flashlight/bayonet attachments.

Boom - three birds stoned at once.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fanny Pack Boomer!
Old 06-11-2021, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Are you drowning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
Gun is obviously for deadly encounters, knife is more multi use and may not even be self defense related, pepper spray could be used in a non-lethal situation. Extra magazine is probably a good idea especially with only 8+1 in this gun. However this stuff plus the other normal carry stuff like a wallet, phone, keys, etc itís a lot.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-11-2021, 7:15 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
But you do wear clothes with 20 pockets?

Why a flashlight? I'm honestly curious unless your daily routine regularly takes you into unlit corridors or dark alleys at night. When I walk my dog at night (he's a bulldog and daylight walks have him panting after just a few hundred yards - so he prefers nighttime walks) I typically wear a Black Diamond headband lamp that illuminates my path very well and also keeps my hands free. There are plenty of coyotes in my area and I've seen their eyeshineany times as they try to stalk me and my doggie.
Why a flashlight? Not even sure if serious. If I need to get out of a smoke filled anything, a movie theater when SHTF or anything at night when the power goes out and the emergency lighting that hasn't been tested in 20 years fails, the flashlight is gold.

Also, I use it on the regular when inspecting used guns at FFLs. It is a tiny 1AA sized flashlight with a powerful beam, about the size of a standard Bic lighter.

A better question is why not flashlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
Fanny Pack Boomer!
Soon....

As soon as my back gives out from the crossbody, probably!

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-11-2021 at 7:18 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I edc a pistol and a 3" folder. I don't edc a spare mag or flashlight or pepperspray but every car has one of each in it as I do spend a lot of time in the car. I'm pretty much either in the car, the office or at home.
Old 06-16-2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
Gun is obviously for deadly encounters, knife is more multi use and may not even be self defense related, pepper spray could be used in a non-lethal situation. Extra magazine is probably a good idea especially with only 8+1 in this gun. However this stuff plus the other normal carry stuff like a wallet, phone, keys, etc itís a lot.

Your thoughts?
A 2nd magazine is more likely to be used to get you pistol running following a malfunction. There are plenty of great small lights out there that can ride next to your pocket knife, and I have a weapon mounted light as well. Ask yourself: "If I knew I was going to have to fight for my life today would this be too much?"
Old 06-16-2021, 9:17 PM

My thoughts would be using a judgment call. Great to have all the tools. To feel forced in carrying all the tools all the time may not be necessary and hence judgment. When I go out to the back country, I usually always have a light, a 45, a knife, extra mag (especially hiking alone). My wife wants me to have a mag with blanks in case I have a bear encounter. That is actually a good method since we do that at boy scout camp when some dumb *** troop leaves a big steak out and the bears come. They use a camp shotgun with blanks and scar off the bears. I would never carry blanks in a CCW weapon for obvious reasons, but a separate mag with a different color, not bad idea for wild life. For urban areas, compact 9. Don't really go with extra mag unless civil unrest. Around town going to the gym, usually gun free. Crime rate is close to zero and the gun battle would probably be with another CCW over a parking spot.

I am thinking about snake gaiters. Lots of rattlers out now. Different subject.

Actually I am now thinking of what first aid items to carry. In urban areas, 911 is fast, yet rural, always good to keep my first aid kit with me. I think having to assist in a medical emergency is low, yet probably higher than self protection of CCW.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:39 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Guy View Post
My wife wants me to have a mag with blanks in case I have a bear encounter. That is actually a good method since we do that at boy scout camp when some dumb *** troop leaves a big steak out and the bears come. They use a camp shotgun with blanks and scar off the bears.
If you think the noise will work, carry normal ammo and try a shot into the ground. If the bear runs away, great. If it runs at you, you have something slightly more effective than a noisemaker.

By repute, most handguns are not very good bear defense. As with many things, one must use what one has at hand - but often it's possible to have planned for the event, and have brought along something better suited for the job. (e.g Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Government)
Old 06-17-2021, 5:44 AM

I like these discussions as it gives one pause to review your priorities, what you carry and when.

Since i wear a T.Rex Arms side car, pistol and extra mag same holster, easily accessible with either hand.
I carry a small light and a folding knife. Light because my old eyes don't function as well as they used to in low light, so i use it often to "find" small parts that have jumped off my workbench and tried to escape. The knife for basic utilities.
I was once asked if i would use my knife instead of a gun in an altercation. My response is straightforward, the knife is to keep you off me until i can get to my pistol.
First aide kit and tourniquet are in both vehicles as well as a boo boo kit.

I also carry a basic set of tools, rope, tow strap in my truck for situations that arise when i am traveling across town or off road.

Prepare for what you believe is reasonable. Re-evaluate often.
Check your gear on a regular basis.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
If you think the noise will work, carry normal ammo and try a shot into the ground. If the bear runs away, great. If it runs at you, you have something slightly more effective than a noisemaker.

By repute, most handguns are not very good bear defense. As with many things, one must use what one has at hand - but often it's possible to have planned for the event, and have brought along something better suited for the job. (e.g Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Government)
I agree completely. Blanks make the wife happy. Probably will help with Rangers and Fish and Game if it turns into an "incident". Campsites can have some people who may look at shooting at a bear as attempted homicide. Just a precaution in California.

Immediate threat...simple, stop the threat. Purely if you have time and can control the situation, then blanks.