Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-31-2018, 5:51 PM

Default I hunt alone

In North Idaho I hunt alone.

I carry the essentials; water, fig bars, energy bars, fire starter, emergency space blanket, whistle, signaling mirror, other.

Bow hunting, I also carry a sidearm (Ruger .454 casull) with 15 rounds.

In many places up here, gps, phones, do not work. The terrain is unrelenting.

The best plan is to tell someone your plan.
Old 10-31-2018, 7:29 PM
CGSSA Associate

Go slow and don't take chances is my best advice when solo
Old 10-31-2018, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

I hunt with MJB but often we are not even close to each other but we communicate by either radio or text. If I waited for one of the gang to hunt with I'd have about 3 days to hunt. Just keep in touch with them however you need to. Be armed, be smart and keep in touch with hunt buddies or family in case something goes bad.

With fishing it's called a float plan. Hunting plan works.
Old 12-02-2018, 8:32 AM

I always tell my wife coordinates of the area im going just in case im not back in certain time frame and as well the ranger station info of the area i'm in be prepare be smart always plan
Old 12-02-2018, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I hunt alone a bit.

Things I do.

Be smart. Weigh the risks and don't take excessive risk.

Know your abilities and equipment. See above.

I carry an inreach mini now. Peace of mind for me and for my wife.

Let hunting buddies know where I'm going and how long.

Let wife know the same as ^^^^^.

Carry gear to get you through if you get stranded either in vehicle or in field.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 09-22-2023, 11:16 AM

My god people...

I used to solo hike and camp before I got to the point I can't walk very far anymore. I took almost none of what you guys consider absolutely essential. My out-for-more-than-just-the-day pack had my kitchen stuff with freeze dried food, water bladder, lightweight sleeping bag and some misc essentials like paracord and stuff. I could go out several days on it depending on how much food I packed. My day pack had a water bladder and trail snacks. I didn't even carry a compass, although I did usually have a map if I hadn't been in that specific place before, and I was in rugged terrain in various wilderness areas miles from nowhere almost all the time.

I met a guy once who'd been out alone on the PCT for 3 months. All he had was a daypack water bladder with filter pump, a knife, and a huge jar of peanut butter. Not even a bivy or sleeping bag. He smelled horrible (and I mean really horrible) but hadn't fallen off a cliff, or got snake bit, gut shot, lost, broken his limbs, or any of the other things you all seem to be worried about. 3 months of just wandering around in the boonies all alone like a crazy man and he was just fine. The only reason I met him was because he was on his way to the store to buy another jar of Skippy.

The point is that all you guys trying to carry a full ER, an entire restaurant of food, full Search & Rescue team's worth of survival equipment, and all the rest while out for a "day hunt" are being ridiculous. Just go. Learn to use the sun as a compass, pay attention to where you are, where you were, where you're going and what you're doing and you'll be fine as long as you stay within your personal physical limits and experience.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery