Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-20-2013, 6:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
I believe this thread has gone from hunting solo, to living out in the woods, to prepping for Armageddon, to battlefield first aid.
When I'm on COD Ghosts I carry backup brews. Probably should invest in a stadium buddy.
Old 12-28-2013, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
When I'm on COD Ghosts I carry backup brews. Probably should invest in a stadium buddy.
I have no clue what you just said.

WTB: Dan Wesson ECO .45; PM me
Old 12-31-2013, 7:43 AM

cod ghosts is an arcade video game i believe. Then he talks about a stadium buddy which is a bra with flasks built into it so you can smuggle alcohol into the stadium. i guess it could be used by a hunter in the woods idk.

another good thing for solo hunting is a good light. headlamp or flashlight or spotlight it has to have a long batteryt life and be very bright. being in the wild after dark without a light isn't any fun, even if there is a full moon.
Old 03-04-2014, 3:05 PM

Found this. Might be helpful.

Backpacking can be very rewarding if you go about it right, or very defeating if you go about it wrong. With some thought and planning, you’ll have a great experience. Below is my standard gear checklist for backcountry bowhunts.

A dome tent like this will keep two or three elk hunters happy in the backcountry.

General Thoughts: Overall, think light. If one ounce of toothpaste will do, don’t carry a six-ounce tube. In place of a fork and spoon, carry a plastic spork. Rather than steel pots, use titanium. Try to keep your total load in the 50-60 pound range.

I put a lot of value on a good tent and sleeping bag. You can tolerate a lot of misery during a long hunting day if you know you have a secure shelter and a warm sleeping bag waiting for you in camp. I often set up a lightweight tarp next to the tent for storing extra gear, especially with two or three guys because their gear will fill the tent.

Leave ALL cotton clothing at home. It’s relatively heavy, and in damp, cool weather it takes forever to dry. Wet wool will keep you warm, but it’s heavy and dries slowly. For backpacking, I far prefer all-synthetic materials — fleece for cool weather, light polyester for hot weather — because they’re relatively lightweight and dry quickly. For trips up to 10 days or so, I just carry one change of socks, underwear, and T-shirts. If one set gets too rank, I just rinse it out and put on the other set.

Regarding food, plan a simple diet. I personally won’t use foods that require cooking. For me, “cooking” means boiling water. That’s why I especially like Mountain House freeze-dried dinners. You just boil water, pour into the foil pouch, and eat out of the pouch.

Get a good stove. Butane stoves are easy and quick, but butane does not perform well in cold weather. For hard-core backpacking, I generally prefer a stove that burns white gas or other liquid fuels.

Meat care and packing may be your biggest concerns. If you’re hunting elk for instance, the average mature bull will bone out to roughly 300 pounds, so you can figure three trips of 100 pounds, six trips of 50 pounds, or some similar combination. If you have a couple of buddies willing to help pack meat, it’s doable. But assess your abilities honestly. If you’re not capable of that, talk to local packers — before the hunt! — to line up pack stock.

To get in shape, running is a good place to start. To backpack at elevation, you should be able to run four or five miles, five days a week at home. If that hurts, you’re not ready to backpack for elk. Also, lift weights with emphasis on legs two or three times a week. Best of all, put on a 50-pound pack and climb hills regularly. If you live in the flatlands, find a tall building or stadium, and climb the stairs. Put in just as much time going down as up. Descending is far harder on the legs than going up.

HUNTING GEAR
Backpack (3,000-5,000 cu. in., depending on length of stay)
Waterproof pack cover
Bow
10 hunting arrows
Extra broadheads
Release aid or tab
Armguard
Rangefinder
String wax
Extra bowstring
Allen wrenches/bow repair gear
Binoculars
Camo facepaint
Scents
Calls (grunt tube, mouth diaphragms)
Bow sling
Maps/Compass/GPS
Flashlight/headlamp
Emergency fire starters
Lighter
First-aid kit
Knife/sharpening steel
50 feet of nylon cord
Signal whistle
Plastic flagging
Folding saw (antlers, camp projects)

CAMPING GEAR
Tent (two-man for one or two guys, three-man dome for three guys)
Tarp for shelter, gear storage outside of tent
Therm-a-Rest (or similar
superlight) mattress
Sleeping bag (lightweight for early archery season)
Small pillow (I normally used rolled up vest instead)
Toiletry kit
Toothbrush and paste
Comb
Headlamp for camp use
Band-Aids
Soap
Lighter
Toilet paper
Towel and washcloth

KITCHEN
Stove (MSR, Brunton, Coleman, or similar backpack model)
Extra fuel
Matches/lighter
Cook pots (small and large)
Spork (or spoon and fork)
Cup (doubles as cereal bowl, coffee cup)
Plastic plate (when alone,
I just eat out of cook pot)
Dish cloth/soap
Alarm clock (I just use Timex Ironman watch)
Plastic bags
Flashlight
Water filter

GENERAL
Hunting license/tags
Game bags (six lightweight
muslin bags for boned-out elk)
Thermometer
Camera/extra batteries
Flashlight/extra batteries
Water bottle/bladder for
hunting pack
Reading material
Fishing gear (optional)
Notebook and pen
Needle/thread
Unscented baby wipes in
Ziploc bag

CLOTHES
Hiking boots
Lightweight shoes
Lightweight socks
Heavyweight socks
T-shirts (two)
Underwear (two)
Longjohns (one set, lightweight)
Lightweight shirt
Lightweight pants
Fleece shirt or jacket
Fleece pants
Lightweight gloves
Wool gloves
Lightweight hat
Warm hat
Down or fleece vest
Wool scarf or neck gaiter
Raingear
Hankies
Sweatband (keeps sweat off my glasses on hard hikes)

FIRST-AID KIT
Aspirin
Band-Aids
Gauze pads
Neosporin
Diarrhea medicine
Moleskin
Medications

FOOD
Breakfast: Granola w/powdered milk in plastic bags (just add water), instant oatmeal, coffee, hot chocolate
Lunch: Hard rolls or tortillas with cheese, dried beef, pb&j, granola bars, candy bars, gorp, jerky
Dinners: Freeze-dried dinners, Top Ramen noodle dinners; instant potatoes or rice; instant pudding, instant milk.
Old 03-04-2014, 3:49 PM

Ya, his name Pemba Dorjie. I met him in Nepal. He told me to share my info to those that may not have a starting point.
Old 03-29-2014, 4:04 AM

Default Hunting alon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninask View Post
Its not really safe to hunt alone,
you must restrict certain practises if you go alone,
hvae a well planned trip with the right gear,
maybe even have a beacon with you/communication in case of a bad event
I agree that hunting alone is almost a silly idea esp when you are not strong enough to face a very tough situation. If not a well trained trip then you must have some 2 or 3 friends of you with you and a very strong and powerful bullet prof vehicle. Your guns should be loaded all the time on trip.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Be prepared for anything, right? My only real concern with hunting alone is the possibility of a mountain lion attack while field dressing game. This is not unlikely, in one of the places I hunt; a mountain biker was killed while bent over fixing his bike, a few years ago, and there are plenty of sightings. Any one have a suggestion?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Just be aware of your surroundings which includes what's behind you. If confronted with an aggressive cat SSS is probably the best course of action for all of mankind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 04-06-2014, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by center_x View Post
I guess it is natural selection. Guess that's why I don't rely on 20 pounds of gear to live. "Just my opinion though."
Depends on where you hunt and how you hunt. When I do day or morning trips into areas I know, I pack light, but make sure to have some type of fire starter, plenty of water, snacks, and an emergency blanket. But often times I backpack 10-20 miles into wilderness areas. No roads anywhere nearby. You sprain an ankle and you are going to be stuck there for a week while it heals. You break something major and you better hope someone comes looking for you and you better hope you have enough provisions and gear to keep you alive during that time.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 04-16-2014, 5:07 AM
Veteran Member

Do you guys really change clothes that often? .
Old 10-30-2014, 5:57 PM
CGSSA Associate

I challenge anyone to do a sub 24 hour with very minimal supplies. it will give you an idea of what you can NO BS live with or without.

kinda fun in a semi controlled environment.

Last edited by tacksman; 09-09-2015 at 7:17 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 8:52 PM

My base layer t shirt is always a some sort of blaze orange or yellow, i also wear a blaze orange hat.
I don't back pack out for days or stay a night so In my fanny pack I have a gps, little hat flash light, flash light, couple spare batteries, spare small knife, small sharpener, orange flaggers tape, lighter, whistle and a bone saw. Some snacks and one or two water bottles. Pending on weather and type of hunt. Walkky talkie
On my belt a knife and a leatherman.
In my pocket a photocopy of map of the area and a compass

Last edited by FishnHunt; 07-17-2015 at 4:15 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 9:02 PM
CGSSA Associate

You must always plan for the unexpected to some degree that's the bottom line in this thread ......your covered for the average hunt it's the ones that go south quick that get you in trouble......
Old 08-30-2015, 7:34 PM

its just not wise to hunt in the back country alone. if you get into trouble on day one then people wont even start looking for you until your due back in town and you dont show up. so if your gonna hunt alone i suggest keeping the trip short and not going to far off the beaten path.
Old 08-30-2015, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Tagged

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 08-30-2015, 7:44 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr2of4 View Post
its just not wise to hunt in the back country alone. if you get into trouble on day one then people wont even start looking for you until your due back in town and you dont show up. so if your gonna hunt alone i suggest keeping the trip short and not going to far off the beaten path.
Really???

Your crazy people do it all the time you can fall and hit your head in the shower and be dead before you know it........the back country is in some of our blood and if I die out there so be it I died doing what I LOVE!
Old 08-30-2015, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Should always have a buddy when you head out into the wild. In the very least, let someone know where you're going and for how long.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 08-30-2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Really???

Your crazy people do it all the time you can fall and hit your head in the shower and be dead before you know it........the back country is in some of our blood and if I die out there so be it I died doing what I LOVE!
tell you what, i would rather die in the back country than my shower if i have a choice. and your right you can fall and hit your head in the shower. you can get hit by a car crossing the street. anything can happen. my point is i would rather not die in the back country because i went by myself and got an injury that someone could easily survive if they have help. i participated in an unsuccessful search for a co worker of a good friend. he went hunting on the last weekend of the season and never came home. evidence suggest his trouble began on day one before ever making camp. his truck was found on the side of the road with most of his gear in it and half eaten fast food. all that was missing was him his rifle and 3 rounds. we figure a buck ran up the hill and he jumped out of the truck and ran after it. up hill from where his truck was found there were a bunch of huge granite boulders with spaces in between that were big enough to provide him with shelter. we found his underwear between a couple rocks but that was it. he was never found.
Old 08-31-2015, 7:02 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Threads like this are the reason people don't leave their couches. Not that bad things can't happen. I was part of a group where we ended up calling 911 due to a missing guy, thinking he was dead or dying on the mountain so I've been there.

Point is be smart and there is inheritant risk with everything. If you live in fear and are paralized by it then just sell all your stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 09-09-2015, 7:17 PM
CGSSA Associate

so.........almost a year later, doesn't look like any feedback. no worries.
Old 09-14-2015, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacksman View Post
i'm getting there. some feedback when i go alone.
Old 09-14-2015, 2:42 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
i'm getting there. some feedback when i go alone.
Your back yard doesn't count...
Old 09-14-2015, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
Your back yard doesn't count...
My backyard does.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 09-14-2015, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A sub 24 hour what?
I've been on climbs that went over 24 hours where I slept on my rope with my feet in my backpack while spooning my buddy in a snow cave we dug with our ice axes.

I've overnighted in So Cal with nothing more than a knife and jacket.

What's your point? To see how little stuff you need to stay outside for less than 24 hours and not die?
Old 09-20-2015, 8:30 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
A sub 24 hour what?
I've been on climbs that went over 24 hours where I slept on my rope with my feet in my backpack while spooning my buddy in a snow cave we dug with our ice axes.

I've overnighted in So Cal with nothing more than a knife and jacket.

What's your point? To see how little stuff you need to stay outside for less than 24 hours and not die?
where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I challenge anyone to do a sub 24 hour with very minimal supplies. it will give you an idea of what you can NO BS live with or without.

kinda fun in a semi controlled environment.
Quote:
Quote:
where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.
I guess I'll just take this as your congratulations of my achievements.
Old 09-21-2015, 6:11 PM
CGSSA Associate

Old 10-16-2015, 12:54 AM

I hunt alone, but I am never gone for more than 12 hours. I live on the same mountain I hunt in fact, I am a 5 minute drive from where my trek begins. My trails are just over 5 miles in and 5 miles out.

I hunt alone as all my deer hunting buddies grew old and died. I was "the kid" when I hunted with them. Late 40s now, it's just me.

I get a lot of younger "hunters" who always say they want to hunt with me, yet cancel out the night before with XYZ excuse. Oh, that's not something that offends me, never had one actually pack the sand to do it.

I bring plenty of water and snacks with me, a means of defending myself against bear or lion attack other than my rifle. a box of wood matches, some snivel gear, I also pack in a portable chair that after I stalk a while, I like to sit on a peak and just glass the area for a few hours. I get insanely good cell phone reception too where I hunt, it's got GPS as well. I carry two knives, one Buck 110 and a Buck 119. I bring some basic stuff like rope and a tarp. Range finder, Binocs, the usual stuff. A mini first aid kit.

Until the day I meet someone who will actually BE a hunting buddy, I hunt alone. I also scout alone off season. It's just the way things have worked out. Sure, I'd love to have a hunting buddy, that's just not where things have gone.

I'm heading out again in just a few hours. Wish me luck with a nice big buck.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy91W View Post
...Sure, I'd love to have a hunting buddy, that's just not where things have gone...
This guy needs a mentor...

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1127927

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 03-30-2016, 9:12 AM
Banned

Important info in this thread as more people get out in the better weather for spring hunting.
Old 03-31-2016, 5:10 AM
Banned

OP, show up driving this bad boy, and you'll close the deal right there in the street.

Old 01-03-2017, 2:21 AM

Hunting alone is quite interesting but also quite dangerous if there is an accident occurs.
I think before the hunt you should inform family members and friends areas where you will hunt and carry full range of equipment needed (a knife, flashlights, lighters, medicines, handheld GPS ... is the indispensable item in your backpack).
But if you have a friend to accompany, I think it would be better for the big game.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:42 PM

I see a lot of videos of guys hunting in California while wearing camo and NO orange vest or hat. I am kind of surprised to see that -- I thought it was a requirement. Certainly my Hunter Ed class and material stressed that it is an important thing for safety, even more so if one is alone.

BTW, Garmin has acquired DeLorme, and they have some new combo models of GPS/map database/satellite messenger, very nice but a little pricey, but maybe a good idea for solo hunters or backcountry hikers. I know from experience that the older DeLorme models are effective and reliable.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I do the majority of my hunting alone. Sometimes in pretty remote places. I recently bought a inReach satellite tracking/texting/SOS beacon.

It does 10 min (can be setup for less or more) tracking points so if you fall, get attacked by a wild beast, shot by pot growers, etc., at least your family or friends can have a reference point to start looking for you.

For me it was a good investment and gives some piece of mind to my loved ones when I am out in the middle of nowhere.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 05-19-2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogen View Post
I see a lot of videos of guys hunting in California while wearing camo and NO orange vest or hat. I am kind of surprised to see that -- I thought it was a requirement.
Not a requirement in california. Other states yes.
Old 08-08-2017, 8:28 PM
Banned

Great list and posts.
Longtime bowhunter here. I also hunt public land so that means Ive got to pull some miles to get out there.

When Im scouting I let my wife know where Im going with long/lat. When I decide where Im putting my hanging stand I let her know the exact coordinates, when Im coming out and going in.

Ive also learned to double your tools...As in,
map, and gps/extra batteries.
iPhone with separate battery charged.
Headlamp with hand held flashlight.
Two releases and two hunting knives.

Ill also cache water and food in my stand usually as well when Im setting up a few weeks prior to season start.

All in all, I prefer bowhunting by myself for a lot of reasons but if your safe you can reduce the odds of trouble.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM

As I have progressed in age (become an old fart) I have decided that a good investment is a Satellite communication option. I now have a Garmin InReach Explorer. It is a GPS unit that includes satellite texting and an emergency location SOS button. Yes, it requires a service subscription but it's about $15 a month so not too bad. (A heck of a lot cheaper than a satellite phone that won't even give out your location) It can also be set to send out tracking reports so whoever your contact is will automatically get your GPS location every few minutes (whatever interval you set it for, an example every 20 minutes).

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Has a good battery life, supposedly something like 50+ hours. A small solar charger would keep you charged up indefinitely.

Last edited by Redhawker; 09-13-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 2:36 PM

Default Hunting/hiking alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog27 View Post
+1 on the ResqLink personal locator beacon.
This is overkill and expensive. You probably don't want to call a chopper to pick you up.... Because they will send it...and a bill of $7000 later on.
Stay safe, don't rush. If you panic - stop and sit down.... most problems happen when people panic. Have a gun with you and bear spray. I always wear snake guards - full length.
Don't jump even it is tempting. If you brake your leg you are doomed.
I see mostly four dangers out in the woods:
1. Humans growing pot
2. Snakes
3. You brake a leg
4. Bears or lions.

I always have a GPS ($200) and a compass.
Old 09-11-2018, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Both my hunting buddies have to delay a week. I will be going out this weekend solo for the B opener. I will set up a base camp and set out in the morning looking for a buck and a bear. Sure is nice to have a few good friends to help drag an animal out. They will be missed.
I will leave a map with the wife and a check in time. I will call her before I loose cell service and again any time I pick it up on the mountain.
Reading this thread reminded me of some of the little things I still need to pack.
Old 09-13-2018, 6:28 PM

Aside from the aforementioned necessaries for solo hunting, if it's within your budget, a satellite phone is an invaluable back-up asset for emergency communications when cellular coverage is non-existent. I always carry my fully charged Iridium 9575 with a solar charger when I solo hunt.

I prefer to hunt with a slower buddy in grizzly country... ;-)