Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-02-2021, 2:01 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Default Bowhunters - most devastating broadhead?

Hey bowhunters, just got my tree stand up on my property and I have some awesome bucks coming through here... but here's the deal. I only have five acres and where my tree stand is I have maybe 40 yards to the neighbor's property in two directions. I have five really good acres for hunting, except it's you know, only five acres. My neighbors are awesome, and the one neighbor would not care if I had to go on his property to retrieve a deer. The other neighbor would let me, but his wife is a animal lover and I just don't want to deal with having to get my deer off her property. I think you get the idea. Even worse still would be if he was able to cross my entire property and get to the neighbors I don't know.

Here's my question, I will be hunting with a crossbow during archery season and I just want to know the most devastating broadhead in your opinion. My shooting lanes will give me a 20 yard shot at the most, so I should be able to put it right where it needs to be, but I am not a bowhunter. I've done it, but I've never shot anything so I have no experience to draw from.

I have traditional fixed broadheads, but that's what, a 7/8" wound? I really want to get something that will open that guy up and not leave me knocking on doors if at all possible. I've read mixed reviews on mechanical broadhead reliability so I just thought I'd ask here and see if there was any first hand experience and hopefully some DRT results.

Last edited by ACfixer; 08-02-2021 at 3:04 PM..
Old 08-02-2021, 2:41 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

There are no DRT kills with a box except in extreme situations. I'm my circle mechanical broadheads are not the way to go. I personally use Montec G5 carbon. There is a very good chance you shoot a deer and it leaves your 5 acres. You will need to give it a nice long sit before pursuing it after the shot (hours).

The best way to DRT is a brain shot with a rifle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 08-02-2021, 2:56 PM

For mechanical I’ve had great luck with most of the rage Broadheads, but my new favorite, the grim reaper 3 blade pro series. (Separately) They offer the most realistic practice head I’ve seen, for getting sighted in and dialed in. For fixed blades I loved the fixed 4 blade magnus hornet Broadheads. They have the most amazing warranty I’ve ever seen. Send in your old Broadheads, no matter what reason, and they’ll send you new ones. All of my experience with these are for archery not for crossbows, although I would expect similar results my state doesn’t recognize crossbows for archery season unless you’re disabled.
Old 08-02-2021, 3:06 PM

I shoot nap killzones every animal I’ve shot has made it 40-50 yards they are wildly effective . It’s a shame idaho has no mechanical rules .. I’m probably switching to slick trucks once I have time to re tune . The kilzones are lasers to 80yds +
Old 08-02-2021, 3:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys, yeah I'm rethinking if I want to arrow this guy or not. I can wait for muzzle loader season and nail him pretty easily, but... I tried to post a pic and it won't let me for some reason... I wanted you guys to see this buck. I'm just afraid if I don't get him early someone else will. Serious prince, one of five or six real beauts visiting my property daily.

I've done enough DRT's (or reasonably close to it) with a 150g Core-Lokt to the lungs Lew, they weren't jumping any fences or leading a quarter mile away anyway. I was just thinking an excellent shot with a crossbow from close and up high I might be able to get him to lie down pretty quickly. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDadLife View Post
... my state doesn’t recognize crossbows for archery season unless you’re disabled.
Tennessee and Virginia allow them now. We're thick with deer right now... arrowguns are allowed in archery season too. My shoulder just can't pull my 70lb Hoyt back quietly, it's time for me to get a new bow... a 60lb with a smoother draw. Mine is getting pretty long in the tooth and although I can get it back, It's a struggle doing it quietly. A friend loaned me the crossbow so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Old 08-02-2021, 3:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteassasin View Post
I shoot nap killzones every animal I’ve shot has made it 40-50 yards they are wildly effective . It’s a shame idaho has no mechanical rules .. I’m probably switching to slick trucks once I have time to re tune . The kilzones are lasers to 80yds +
Thank you, I'll look into those as well.
Old 08-02-2021, 3:33 PM
CGN Contributor

Here we go...

Old 08-02-2021, 3:37 PM

100 Grain Slick Trick's here. Work great on the bears and deer's I've shot with em. Proven for me. Might work for you too.
Old 08-02-2021, 3:44 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
100 Grain Slick Trick's here. Work great on the bears and deer's I've shot with em. Proven for me. Might work for you too.
The standard fixed blade? I think that might be what I have now. I was thinking of a bigger wound channel but the reliability of almost every mechanical seems spotty based on reviews and the reading I've done.

These look nasty, but I just don't know...

https://www.amazon.com/Rage-Extreme-...%2C239&sr=8-14
Old 08-02-2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
The standard fixed blade? I think that might be what I have now. I was thinking of a bigger wound channel but the reliability of almost every mechanical seems spotty based on reviews and the reading I've done.

These look nasty, but I just don't know...

https://www.amazon.com/Rage-Extreme-...%2C239&sr=8-14

Hello,

So I'm a fixed blade guy. Just always have been able to get them to fly great and everything dies quick. I arrow'd my last bear @54 yds shooting through the netting on one of my ground blinds and he went 27 yds. And was dun.

I know the mechanical broadheads are great too, just never really hunted them.

I have two friends who are renowned hunters and who also happen to own archery shops. They both suggested 100 grain slick trick fixed blade heads years ago and I just stuck with them.

I really hope you whack a nice one!
Old 08-02-2021, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Be aware in some places there are limits to the diameter of your broadhead (there are here in WY, and crossbows are legal).

I have a similar situation, but I am just going to wait until rifle season and use a suppressed 300 blackout from a tree stand.
Old 08-02-2021, 5:11 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Be aware in some places there are limits to the diameter of your broadhead (there are here in WY, and crossbows are legal).

I have a similar situation, but I am just going to wait until rifle season and use a suppressed 300 blackout from a tree stand.
Not many restrictions here Bainter, I didn't read anything in the regs about diameter or fixed blades etc.

Here's the deal, we have an early private land only archery weekend at the end of August 27-29, bucks only. I am seeing this guy almost daily on my cameras and I think I can get him to walk under my stand that weekend... or so I keep telling myself. If I can get a prime shot at him I just hate to pass that up. There's only one direction I think I might lose him, but he would have to cross my property and past my house out into the street etc. It's directly away from where I will be sitting so that's not out of the question, but he has good cover to go bleed in a lot closer than that in every other direction. I'm situated perfectly for prevailing winds and if he comes down one of two trails he'll present me with a 15-20 yard broadside.

The last thing I want is to injure and lose him, that would suck. But if I wait until muzzle loader season (Nov 6) he'd have to survive the month of archery season (not unlikely really) but also the youngster weekend and they are allowed rifles.

I don't own a muzzle loader, but I'm looking to.
Old 08-02-2021, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
There are no DRT kills with a box except in extreme situations. I'm my circle mechanical broadheads are not the way to go. I personally use Montec G5 carbon. There is a very good chance you shoot a deer and it leaves your 5 acres. You will need to give it a nice long sit before pursuing it after the shot (hours).

The best way to DRT is a brain shot with a rifle.
Not a bow hunter, but the concept, as I understand it, is they bleed to death after getting startled/stuck. That takes awhile.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 08-02-2021, 7:47 PM

I’m new to bow hunting, bought my first bow a few months back. With all the conversations I’ve had seems like lots of people are moving towards the Iron Will s100/125 and the Kudu broad heads. I bought Slick Tricks because my neighbor has had good success with them on hogs and deer.
Old 08-02-2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Not a bow hunter, but the concept, as I understand it, is they bleed to death after getting startled/stuck. That takes awhile.
My last 2 deer were dead within 5 min stone dead when I walked up ... I only walked up that quick cause I watched them fall one bolted uphill 20 turned and made it 30 yards down hill before it wadded up . The other made it 40 yards on a side hil jumped a barbwire fence and wadded up 10 yards later Ase over teakettle. Good bowshots kill well I only take broadside and quartering away shots and aim for the opposite shoulder .
One word to the wise if you can't drill a pie plate at 80yds you aren't good enough yet any distance . You need to be calm and steady I've seen plenty of gutshot deer shot at 20 yards and only get found in spring shed hunting .
Old 08-02-2021, 8:34 PM

Rage or G3 are the best I've used.
Old 08-03-2021, 5:19 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteassasin View Post
My last 2 deer were dead within 5 min stone dead when I walked up ... I only walked up that quick cause I watched them fall one bolted uphill 20 turned and made it 30 yards down hill before it wadded up . The other made it 40 yards on a side hil jumped a barbwire fence and wadded up 10 yards later Ase over teakettle. Good bowshots kill well I only take broadside and quartering away shots and aim for the opposite shoulder .
One word to the wise if you can't drill a pie plate at 80yds you aren't good enough yet any distance . You need to be calm and steady I've seen plenty of gutshot deer shot at 20 yards and only get found in spring shed hunting .
Yes, thank you. If everything goes well I should have a 20 yard, slightly quartering away and a rest for the crossbow on the tree stand. But of course I will be shooting with a real downward angle so I am studying online trying to find proper placement for 20' high and 20 yards out.

I'm going to the range to sight this thing in, then I'll place a few targets near my stand and see how the elevation affects my POI. I think I am doing my fair share of homework on this, I think it's only fair to the animal that I do my best in doing this right. I still haven't decided on fixed vs. mechanical, just no clear answer on that like many things in this game. In the end, shot placement is still king right?
Old 08-03-2021, 5:26 AM

Quote:
In the end, shot placement is still king right?
Absolutely. I believe mechanical Broadheads are more forgiving on a marginal shot, for the obvious reason of larger cutting diameters.
Old 08-03-2021, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDadLife View Post
For mechanical I’ve had great luck with most of the rage Broadheads, but my new favorite, the grim reaper 3 blade pro series. (Separately) They offer the most realistic practice head I’ve seen, for getting sighted in and dialed in. For fixed blades I loved the fixed 4 blade magnus hornet Broadheads. They have the most amazing warranty I’ve ever seen. Send in your old Broadheads, no matter what reason, and they’ll send you new ones. All of my experience with these are for archery not for crossbows, although I would expect similar results my state doesn’t recognize crossbows for archery season unless you’re disabled.
Yeah, the grim reaper whitetail special has a monster cut. Worth a look.

Quote:
Thanks guys, yeah I'm rethinking if I want to arrow this guy or not. I can wait for muzzle loader season and nail him pretty easily, but... I tried to post a pic and it won't let me for some reason... I wanted you guys to see this buck. I'm just afraid if I don't get him early someone else will. Serious prince, one of five or six real beauts visiting my property daily.

I've done enough DRT's (or reasonably close to it) with a 150g Core-Lokt to the lungs Lew, they weren't jumping any fences or leading a quarter mile away anyway. I was just thinking an excellent shot with a crossbow from close and up high I might be able to get him to lie down pretty quickly. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Tennessee and Virginia allow them now. We're thick with deer right now... arrowguns are allowed in archery season too. My shoulder just can't pull my 70lb Hoyt back quietly, it's time for me to get a new bow... a 60lb with a smoother draw. Mine is getting pretty long in the tooth and although I can get it back, It's a struggle doing it quietly. A friend loaned me the crossbow so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Muzzleloader is probably the way to go. You may want to investigate the high shoulder shot. That will probably drop him in his tracks.
Old 08-03-2021, 8:32 AM
CGSSA Associate

I would not wait till the muzzleloader season.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:27 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I would not wait till the muzzleloader season.
I like the way you think. Someone else will shoot this guy, no question about it.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:38 AM

I am new to bow hunting as well, got my bow for Christmas. I have missed a turkey 50+ yards and got one squirrel. As Yote said, practice is key and I am hoping to get a deer on our property this year. I purchased some Rage and some from Annihilator all 100gr. Read good things about the Annihilator and will be using them this season. Good luck!

https://annihilatorbroadheads.com/pr...or-broadheads/
Old 08-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

A crossbow bolt has the ability to damage more like a rifle than a bow.

Shot placement is of course everything but a bow shot is likely to be heart/ lung and not intended to keep the animal from wandering.

A high shoulder shot can punch both shoulder blades,
both lungs and the spine making both shot placement and broadhead design critical if you want to put one DRT .

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.
Old 08-03-2021, 1:41 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
A crossbow bolt has the ability to damage more like a rifle than a bow.

Shot placement is of course everything but a bow shot is likely to be heart/ lung and not intended to keep the animal from wandering.

A high shoulder shot can punch both shoulder blades,
both lungs and the spine making both shot placement and broadhead design critical if you want to put one DRT .

Kind of my line of thinking as well Randy, but I honestly don't have the experience to back it up. I went and ranged the likely areas I would get a shot, one is 14 yards and the other 18. A third possibility is about 24 yards... This is of course if he doesn't deviate and just walk right out in the open, but my cameras have them pretty much sticking to the game trails. The does and fawns cross the open areas, but the bucks are a lot warier. They change their time as well, pretty sneaky... but they seem to stick to the same trails.
Old 08-03-2021, 3:07 PM

Highly recommend reading Ed Ashby's work. Forget mechanicals and even chisel points. Read the 12 factors of penetration & live by them. You need the wound to bleed out fast. You do that by having the arrow blow completely through. Just the point exiting is not enough -- you want that arrow stuck in a log or on the ground somewhere on the other side of the animal.

Cutting diameter is worthless for blood trails & bleed outs if the arrow is still embedded in the cavity & clogging up the wound. Basic first aid says that if you get an object embedded in your body (knife, stick, whatever), keep it in there until you get to a hospital because if you pull it out, you risk bleeding out before you get there. So, when looking to kill an animal fast, get the arrow out fast & open up that wound. Penetration is #1. There is no such thing as overkill. I believe Ashby said that if you hit them well with enough penetration, they'll die with a great blood trail with just a sharpened field point. But a wide point that doesn't exit may not show a blood trail at all. A 1" broadhead is plenty wide to take down cape buffalo so it's fine for deer. But an extra wide head may not be able to punch through bone if your shot isn't perfect. All else being equal, narrow heads penetrate deeper.

As for broadheads, Grizzly & Tuffheads are about the best there is. Ashby has his own name on one as well but refuses to take any royalties or compensation for it. It's just his favorite and it follows his research recommendations so he puts his stamp of approval on it. Zwicky or similar is the budget option, though they don't really have good single bevels. You're looking for a 3:1 length/width ratio, single bevel, tanto point, hard steel. Polish the edge razor sharp & put it where it matters.

I took a small bear with a grizzly-tipped 650 grain arrow last year. Arrow went between the ribs on entry, spun through the cavity & took out the lungs, blew through an off-side rib (split in two) and then buried itself in a log up to the shaft. I thought I had missed and was looking for my arrow on the ground before I found it buried in the log & covered with blood. Bear made it about 100 yards on a dead sprint before collapsing. Granted, that was an ideal shot -- couldn't have been better placed. And she was a small bear. But I'd have no qualms about using that setup for a much bigger bear, deer, elk, hog or whatever I'm hunting.

Weight-wise, I was impressed to learn that the heavy bone threshold of 650 grains was tested on 40# longbows as well as 70# compounds. In all cases, 650 grain arrows punched through cape buffalo ribs nearly every time. Not so with lighter arrow setups. So a 40# longbow with a 650 grain arrow penetrated heavy bone more reliably than a 70# compound with a 350 grain arrow. Is that overkill for deer? Yes. Unless you hit the spine or scapula. Then it's barely adequate. Anything less is less than adequate.

Rinella did a podcast with Ashby recently -- highly recommend it.

Last edited by CVShooter; 08-03-2021 at 3:11 PM..
Old 08-03-2021, 3:56 PM
CGSSA Associate

Crossbow has less energy than a compound bow..... The draw length determines the speed hence 150 lb crossbow 14" draw length, versus 29" draw at 60 lb compound bow.

One thing to watch with the crossbow is make sure the nock/latches at the same position on the string everytime.
Old 08-03-2021, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Highly recommend reading Ed Ashby's work. Forget mechanicals and even chisel points. Read the 12 factors of penetration & live by them. You need the wound to bleed out fast. You do that by having the arrow blow completely through. Just the point exiting is not enough -- you want that arrow stuck in a log or on the ground somewhere on the other side of the animal.

Cutting diameter is worthless for blood trails & bleed outs if the arrow is still embedded in the cavity & clogging up the wound. Basic first aid says that if you get an object embedded in your body (knife, stick, whatever), keep it in there until you get to a hospital because if you pull it out, you risk bleeding out before you get there. So, when looking to kill an animal fast, get the arrow out fast & open up that wound. Penetration is #1. There is no such thing as overkill. I believe Ashby said that if you hit them well with enough penetration, they'll die with a great blood trail with just a sharpened field point. But a wide point that doesn't exit may not show a blood trail at all. A 1" broadhead is plenty wide to take down cape buffalo so it's fine for deer. But an extra wide head may not be able to punch through bone if your shot isn't perfect. All else being equal, narrow heads penetrate deeper.

As for broadheads, Grizzly & Tuffheads are about the best there is. Ashby has his own name on one as well but refuses to take any royalties or compensation for it. It's just his favorite and it follows his research recommendations so he puts his stamp of approval on it. Zwicky or similar is the budget option, though they don't really have good single bevels. You're looking for a 3:1 length/width ratio, single bevel, tanto point, hard steel. Polish the edge razor sharp & put it where it matters.

I took a small bear with a grizzly-tipped 650 grain arrow last year. Arrow went between the ribs on entry, spun through the cavity & took out the lungs, blew through an off-side rib (split in two) and then buried itself in a log up to the shaft. I thought I had missed and was looking for my arrow on the ground before I found it buried in the log & covered with blood. Bear made it about 100 yards on a dead sprint before collapsing. Granted, that was an ideal shot -- couldn't have been better placed. And she was a small bear. But I'd have no qualms about using that setup for a much bigger bear, deer, elk, hog or whatever I'm hunting.

Weight-wise, I was impressed to learn that the heavy bone threshold of 650 grains was tested on 40# longbows as well as 70# compounds. In all cases, 650 grain arrows punched through cape buffalo ribs nearly every time. Not so with lighter arrow setups. So a 40# longbow with a 650 grain arrow penetrated heavy bone more reliably than a 70# compound with a 350 grain arrow. Is that overkill for deer? Yes. Unless you hit the spine or scapula. Then it's barely adequate. Anything less is less than adequate.

Rinella did a podcast with Ashby recently -- highly recommend it.
Thats some good info but I disagree on the broadhead choice. Those single bevel heads do not kill quick compared to a 3 or 4 blade.
Old 08-03-2021, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Crossbows are louder than compounds when you shoot, so you will have to aim a few inches below the boiler room. The deer will flinch downward automatically when they hear the shot so you'll hit high if you aim dead-on. This problem is magnified at distance.

I limit myself to 40 yds with the crossbow for this reason. My shoulder won't handle a compound bow anyway.

Best of luck
Old 08-03-2021, 5:51 PM

I have tried everything i could get my hands on.
The only one which gave close to DRT performance was grim reaper.

Last edited by 12Ga Hunter; 08-03-2021 at 5:54 PM..
Old 08-03-2021, 7:02 PM

Where did your pictures go? Nice bucks. Are you sure they will keep coming back when you have to stop baiting 10 days before the season starts?
Old 08-04-2021, 5:51 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottacticool View Post
Where did your pictures go? Nice bucks. Are you sure they will keep coming back when you have to stop baiting 10 days before the season starts?
Well that's a good question, but I did it last year... just never got a shot until the last day of the season (I missed) but I didn't have a stand up or prepare for it very well.

I don't leave corn or salt licks out constantly, I put it out for a week then won't put it out for a week or ten days etc... So hopefully the bucks realize it's a periodic thing. I'll put out a nice pile ten days before that archery weekend and just hope they come around looking for a new pile. I had bucks with no corn out last year, and I've had them this year... not 4 beautiful bucks eating corn on the ground kinda stuff, but still walking by several places on the property. That one night pic of the buck was in an area with no food source other than stuff I planted. I have thrown out some seed in areas hoping that will sprout and draw them in as well.

I do need clarification from TWRA as well, I want to know if there can be corn at another location and I just cannot hunt "over bait" or if there can be nothing on the property. I'm not looking to break any rules obviously, I am an ethical hunter and follow game laws.
Old 08-04-2021, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Thats some good info but I disagree on the broadhead choice. Those single bevel heads do not kill quick compared to a 3 or 4 blade.
Put up your research & I'll give it a read. It will take a decade or more to compile it. I'm not that old yet. I can wait.

In the meantime, give it Ashby's work a read.
https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/

Here's a quick blurb from his website:

The Foundation has nearly thirty years of research and an additional fifteen years of data utilizing penetration enhanced arrow systems in real hunting situations strongly validating the findings. The fifteen years of data has accounted for clean kills on multitudes of Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Elk, Wild Hogs, Nilgai, over 2000 Cape and Asiatic Buffalo, over one hundred Elephant, multiple Hippo, and countless other large game across North America, Africa, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia, making the Ashby Bowhunting Foundation the leading global authority on arrow and broadhead lethality. The Foundation officers’ and directors’ combined bowhunting experience is extensive, exceeding 220 years and spanning six continents. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization and as with all the previous testing, the Foundation accepts no funding, direct or otherwise, from the archery industry, thus keeping the Foundation’s testing truly independent of industry influence.

Last edited by CVShooter; 08-04-2021 at 8:11 AM..
Old 08-04-2021, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Single bevel refers to the edge on the blade, not how many blades there are lol
Old 08-04-2021, 9:35 AM
CGSSA Associate

So any scrapes near your deer stand?

If not make one now and pee in it often.

WT bucks follow scrapes more than food.....
Old 08-04-2021, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Put up your research & I'll give it a read. It will take a decade or more to compile it. I'm not that old yet. I can wait.

In the meantime, give it Ashby's work a read.
https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/

Here's a quick blurb from his website:

The Foundation has nearly thirty years of research and an additional fifteen years of data utilizing penetration enhanced arrow systems in real hunting situations strongly validating the findings. The fifteen years of data has accounted for clean kills on multitudes of Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Elk, Wild Hogs, Nilgai, over 2000 Cape and Asiatic Buffalo, over one hundred Elephant, multiple Hippo, and countless other large game across North America, Africa, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia, making the Ashby Bowhunting Foundation the leading global authority on arrow and broadhead lethality. The Foundation officers’ and directors’ combined bowhunting experience is extensive, exceeding 220 years and spanning six continents. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization and as with all the previous testing, the Foundation accepts no funding, direct or otherwise, from the archery industry, thus keeping the Foundation’s testing truly independent of industry influence.
Shoot a single bevel through a milk jug and then shoot a 3/4 blade head. Generally speaking, the 3/4 will run out quicker.

Do you have a link to something showing a single slit bleeding out faster than one with 3 or 4 blades? If you do I am all ears but it does not seem logical that a slit from a 2 blade bevel has superior bleeding or sealing chareristics to a 3 or 4 blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
Single bevel refers to the edge on the blade, not how many blades there are lol
Sure, but I would hope you know what I am saying (I guess not). Look at his website and he only sells a two-blade. Everyone you see shooting "single bevel" broadheads uses 2 blades or 2 blades + bleeders. Go to your local pro shop and ask to see their single bevel heads and you'll see the same.

Last edited by 180ls1; 08-04-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Old 08-04-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Shoot a single bevel through a milk jug and then shoot a 3/4 blade head. Generally speaking, the 3/4 will run out quicker.
I'll simply refer you to his research. The number of blades & wound channels just don't matter if the arrow fails to pass completely through. 3-4 blade heads don't reliably pass through soft tissue or bone like COC 2-blades. Extra wide heads like Simmons are great for opening up tissue but if the arrow fails to pass through, who cares? The most lethal broadhead is the one that most reliably gets complete pass throughs and can reach the vitals even after hitting heavy bone. The rest is just marketing.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'll simply refer you to his research. The number of blades & wound channels just don't matter if the arrow fails to pass completely through. 3-4 blade heads don't reliably pass through soft tissue or bone like COC 2-blades. Extra wide heads like Simmons are great for opening up tissue but if the arrow fails to pass through, who cares? The most lethal broadhead is the one that most reliably gets complete pass throughs and can reach the vitals even after hitting heavy bone. The rest is just marketing.
How would a wound channel not matter if he does not get a pass-through? The internal damage is what matters most. Doing as much damage to the internal organs is what stops a deer quicker then making sure the arrow is completely out the exit side.

Also, he is shooting CA deer, they are not hard to get good penetration on, and stopping it quickly is priority #1 for his specific situation. This is where a 3 blade would likely help.

The best part about his system is penetration (and it's very good at that), not stopping power or steering an arrow.
Old 08-04-2021, 3:13 PM
CGN Contributor

CV & 180 - ^^^ No dog in that fight, happy to learn what I can... but just for the record they are Tennessee whitetails. 14 to 25 yards, 5-10 degree downward angle. The crossbow I have available to me supposedly shoots around 325 fps, thinking of upgrading to a Killer Instinct 425 and loading it with heavy bolts and 125g tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
So any scrapes near your deer stand?

If not make one now and pee in it often.

WT bucks follow scrapes more than food.....
I have a LOT of bucks visiting MJB, scrapes, rubs, sign, doe, everything a WT buck wants is right here, hard to imagine much better habitat than my 5 acres for WT except the size.

I do have a 1/3 share in a 150 acre lease in VA also, as long as the good Lord is willing I should have some shot opportunities this year. The WT population is really good this year.

Last edited by ACfixer; 08-04-2021 at 3:17 PM..
Old 08-04-2021, 3:32 PM
CGSSA Associate

Hunt the scrapes or make your own in your shooting lane at the game trail.
Old 08-04-2021, 6:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How would a wound channel not matter if he does not get a pass-through? The internal damage is what matters most. Doing as much damage to the internal organs is what stops a deer quicker then making sure the arrow is completely out the exit side.

Also, he is shooting CA deer, they are not hard to get good penetration on, and stopping it quickly is priority #1 for his specific situation. This is where a 3 blade would likely help.

The best part about his system is penetration (and it's very good at that), not stopping power or steering an arrow.
Again, not a bowhunter, but I've been around plenty. The idea is to make them leak real badly. An exit greatly accommodates that goal. Also provides for a better blood trail if you get a runner.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter