Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-06-2023, 10:29 AM

Default Recent CMP M1 Garand order

Had a little time to snap some photos of my recently acquired M1 Garand and do a mini review for anyone thinking of doing a CMP order, and to help understand some realistic expectations.
Finally hopped on the CMP train and ordered a Rack Grade M1 Garand while they still have them. The process was a lot less intimidating than I expected. Easy and straight forward. Took them about 5 weeks to ship the gun to me. I placed a sticky note in my paperwork asking for all matching wood and WW2 receiver, and I believe I got what I asked for, but you guys can be the judges.
The stock is almost matching, given that the handguard has more of a natural finish, and the stock has some sort of a lacquer coating on it. To my surprise, it has some engraving/trench art and a small piece of tape by the sling swivel. (Can't tell what it says). Underneath the butt plate, there is a bunch of dried-up vegetation/hay, which is neat and would be nice to know the backstory to it.
As you can see, some of the metal has some significant pitting and have been reparkarized. As far as I can tell, all of the parts are SA marked, but for the life of me, I cannot take down the gas plug. I even tried to use a designated brass wrench (from Amazon) and ended up bending the wrench. Makes me think that the threads are rusted, and it hasn't been taken down since the 50s.
Overall it's a really good value, considering that the rifle, taxes, shipping and the really good quality gun case are all included in the $700. I am happy with the rifle that I received, as I really wanted a real warhorse, which seems to me that it is. I did also put my order in for a 1911, so fingers crossed. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. Cheers

https://imgur.com/a/43dKXhZ

Last edited by alks207; 04-06-2023 at 1:25 PM..
Old 04-06-2023, 11:01 AM

OP, nice job!
Old 04-06-2023, 11:08 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lockbar rear sight to boot...nice pickup, OP.
Old 04-06-2023, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Nice looking rifle.
Old 04-06-2023, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alks207 View Post
Had a little time to snap some photos of my recently acquired M1 Garand and do a mini review for anyone thinking of doing a CMP order, and to help understand some realistic expectations.
Finally hopped on the CMP train and ordered a Rack Grade M1 Garand while they still have them. The process was a lot less intimidating than I expected. Easy and straight forward. Took them about 5 weeks to ship the gun to me. I placed a sticky note in my paperwork asking for all matching wood and WW2 receiver, and I believe I got what I asked for, but you guys can be the judges.
The stock is almost matching, given that the handguard has more of a natural finish, and the stock has some sort of a lacquer coating on it. To my surprise, it has some engraving/trench art and a small piece of tape by the sling swivel. (Can't tell what it says). Underneath the butt plate, there is a bunch of dried-up vegetation/hay, which is neat and would be nice to know the backstory to it.
As you can see, some of the metal has some significant pitting and have been reparkarized. As far as I can tell, all of the parts are SA marked, but for the life of me, I cannot take down the gas plug. I even tried to use a designated brass wrench (from Amazon) and ended up bending the wrench. Makes me think that the threads are rusted, and it hasn't been taken down since the 50s.
Overall it's a really good value, considering that the rifle, taxes, shipping and the really good quality gun case are all included in the $700. I am happy with the rifle that I received, as I really wanted a real warhorse, which seems to me that it is. I did also put my order in for a 1911, so fingers crossed. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. Cheers

https://imgur.com/a/43dKXhZ
get a 1/4" drive ratchet with a short extension. this will fit a poppet valve lock screw perfectly.

use some real penetrant, not wd40, and give it a chance to work.
Kroil is best.

the parts are stainless steel so actual oxidation will be minimal.
Old 04-06-2023, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Solid rack grade. But can't believe they are going for $700 now. I think thats how much I paid for my Service grades. But that was years ago. Geez time really flies.

I saw some real rust buckets when I visited the North Store in November last year.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 04-06-2023, 9:34 PM

Be sure to post back to let us know how it shoots. Congratulations.
Old 04-07-2023, 3:49 AM

Along with the 1/4 drive, a gas cylinder wrench is helpful. Fulton Armory has one for 10 bucks. The one in the link is pricy but I posted it to show the setup.
https://www.garandgear.com/product/m1-garand-wrench/
Old 04-07-2023, 4:38 AM

Buddy just bought two, but they are the completely refurbished ones. One is a Springfield, other a IH..They were 1200.00 each..

I think yours is really nice for near half the price..And I think I would rather have yours for the much lesser amount, more than one of the new spiffed up ones he got..
Old 04-15-2023, 10:47 AM

Wow. When did they start sending them in that neat plastic case??
Old 04-17-2023, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
Wow. When did they start sending them in that neat plastic case??
For a good long while now. Several years ago it was a hard green plastic case, for the last couple of years it's been the heavier black ones.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-17-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
For a good long while now. Several years ago it was a hard green plastic case, for the last couple of years it's been the heavier black ones.
Wow. In my day it was just came in a cardboard box... sudda waited.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

I've purchased 3 over the years with no problems. About five years ago I ordered another and my NICS background check was denied. CMP returned my check and said I would have to file an appeal.
I have an 03FFL and a concealed carry license. My appeal to the FBI was acknowledged, but they said they were two years behind on appeals; that was five years ago. Since then I've bought numerous firearms with no issues.
I've moved on, CMP, not interested in reconciliation...
Old 04-17-2023, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wow. In my day it was just came in a cardboard box... sudda waited.
LOL - I still have a few of those cardboard boxes. Way too nice to toss out.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-18-2023, 10:57 AM

Cool

Quote:
In a few years those boxes will become a collectors' item too.
Old 04-18-2023, 2:46 PM

Quote:
^This!
Old 04-24-2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Ditto. You got me curious so I looked up in the attic. Still got mine it seems.... 18 years!

While we're on the subject of CMP Garands, does anyone know back when CMP sold their ammo by the crate was it for 500 or 1000 rounds? The outside markings on mine are rather confusing and I'd rather not open it up to count

thx
Old 04-25-2023, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ditto. You got me curious so I looked up in the attic. Still got mine it seems.... 18 years!

While we're on the subject of CMP Garands, does anyone know back when CMP sold their ammo by the crate was it for 500 or 1000 rounds? The outside markings on mine are rather confusing and I'd rather not open it up to count

thx
2 can crate? 192 rounds per can in bandos. I think there was a 4 can crate, Danish crate on stripper clips (got 1) and a 520 round can (got 1). There was probably more types over the years. They also had 30 cal cans that had ammo in clips and loose. One day i need to go through my stash.

Got those cardboard shipping boxes also. keeping them for if i ever get out of this state.

Last edited by stevie; 04-26-2023 at 5:56 AM..
Old 04-26-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
2 can crate? 192 rounds per can in bandos. I think there was a 4 can crate, Danish crate on stripper clips (got 1) and a 520 round can (got 1). There was probably more types over the years. They also had 30 cal cans that had ammo in clips and loose. One day i need to go through my stash.

Got those cardboard shipping boxes also. keeping them for if i ever get out of this state.
Oh, there may be cans inside. I had no idea. I can't see in of course. I'll take pix of the crate and markings and maybe someone will be familiar with it. Im trying to figure out how much to sell if for.
Thx
Old 04-26-2023, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Oh, there may be cans inside. I had no idea. I can't see in of course. I'll take pix of the crate and markings and maybe someone will be familiar with it. Im trying to figure out how much to sell if for.
Thx
A buck a round would be the starting point.......

Old 04-26-2023, 12:37 PM

I need one to keep my CMP 03A3 company, enjoy that thing!
Old 04-26-2023, 12:40 PM

edit: dupe
Old 04-26-2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
A buck a round would be the starting point.......
Cool. Thx. I'll try to find out how many rounds are inside without opening the crate.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Nice pickup OP looks good. I him-hawed around for decades before I finally I figured it was now or never with mine. A service grade picked up 5 years ago. Winchester March of '45 I believe. The original owner got it during the transition from DMC to CMP and ordered the manufacturer selection option. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798