Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-13-2023, 9:30 PM

Default Arisaka Type 99 last cartridge not feeding correctly

My Arisaka Type 99 has an issue with the last cartridge riding a little high off the follower and is loose and pushed into the chamber. It is not correctly low enough that it rises into the extractor to be feed. I suspect my follower could be a bit wiggly causing a slight tilt, shifting the round toward the center and up. I've tried a few different magazine springs but with similar results. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2023, 4:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Just a shot in the dark (pun intended) but has the follower been altered? The magazine design and function on a Arisaka is pretty simple and straightforward. If the other rounds feed okay and you have tried different springs, the only part I can see affecting the last cartridge is the follower.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 04-14-2023, 5:51 AM
Veteran Member

Not altered to fire 30-06?

I recall a friend had an Arisaka altered to fire 30-06 and sometimes he had to hand feed a shell into the chamber.
Old 04-14-2023, 7:10 AM

It doesn't seem to be chambered in .30/06 and the first 4 cartridges feed fine (dummys). The fifth rides high and is either too loose or is pushed in by the bolt rather than engaging the extractor. The follower appears like an unaltered Type 99 follower but the magazine spring that came from the rifle appears to be from a Mauser and has an E stamp on it. A correct Type 99 spring has the same result. I'm going to try a extra power Mauser spring, then maybe a different Type 99 follower when I get a chance. The magazine box is intact but there could be too much space between the box and the follower causing a slight tilt.
Old 04-14-2023, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be chambered in .30/06 and the first 4 cartridges feed fine (dummys).
Dummy round, or a snap cap? Snap caps have one purpose, feeding function isn't it.
Old 04-14-2023, 6:19 PM

Dummy round made from the correct cartridge case and bullet.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:38 AM

Trap55 makes a good point. For these old rifles, the ammunition needs to match the specifications of the time. If the cartridge has a different OAL or projectile with a different shape than the original military issue it was designed for, you might run into problems. I have an Enfield SMLE that will not cycle certain soft points and light FMJs. The shortness and ogive of the projectile does not keep them in the magazine at the proper angle for feeding. It works fine with the standard 174gr FMJ projectiles though. So make sure your dummy rounds are up to spec before messing around with parts on the rifle.

If you are certain the cartridges are not to blame, it sounds like you are on the right path with follower tension being the culprit. How much play does the floor plate have with the retaining notch on that little release lever by the trigger guard? If you press up on the floor plate and hold pressure does the last round feed fine? I would guess the fix is probably a longer, stronger spring. Does the floor plate stop the bolt from moving forward when the magazine is empty?
Old 04-17-2023, 7:46 PM

The extra power Mauser magazine spring did the trick. It fits tighter in the follower and keeps it from tilting and prevents the last round from following out.
Old 04-17-2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker McGee View Post
The extra power Mauser magazine spring did the trick. It fits tighter in the follower and keeps it from tilting and prevents the last round from following out.
Very nice, it's always satisfying when you find the fix to problems with old guns.