Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-19-2019, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Would you......???

Would you consider becoming a deputy sheriff at the age of 50?

So I have a buddy who is a deputy sheriff and he is now in an administration position. He approached me the other day and asked if I would be interested in becoming a deputy.

At first I thought he was joking. But no, he is serious.

The thing is, I have been self employed for about 25 years. And setting aside the whole LEO thing, the thought of being on someone else’s schedule is worrisome.

And, I never thought of myself as someone who would be a “good cop”. Plus...I have a history. He is fully aware of my past and says no worries, it would not be a problem as far as hiring.

I pointed out again to him that I am 50. I am in pretty good physical condition. Most folks think I am in my mid 30’s.
But...let’s face it..,I’m 50.

So....what say you of LEO wisdom?

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 04-19-2019, 2:04 PM

The 47 year old man in my academy class smoked all of the younger guys in PT...case by case basis lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Well...my buddy said I was probably in better physical condition than 90% of the whole dept.

I laughed but, that is kinda disturbing on many levels.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 04-19-2019, 2:22 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

One thing to consider is when retirement will be. If you wouldn't be on long enough to be vested in whatever agencies pension and medical programs for retirees, that's a significant factor.
Old 04-19-2019, 2:28 PM

Ask yourself this; can you live with the thought that you passed up a chance
to do your best for someone on their worst day..?

if the thought really doesn't register to you- then you're probably good where you are in life.

..but if the thought of the above makes you stop and think of your life so far, and how you can add to it?, Then take that step fwd and find out what difference you can make in someone's life.
Old 04-19-2019, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

No. Enjoy your life, you are a few years from retirement.

Plus if you don’t think you would be a “good cop”, why bother.

Buy a fishing pole, find a good spot, and enjoy taco Tuesday’s. Do what you want, not work some wonky schedule and start at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
One thing to consider is when retirement will be. If you wouldn't be on long enough to be vested in whatever agencies pension and medical programs for retirees, that's a significant factor.
Good point. At this point, being self employed, I have resigned myself to working for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
No. Enjoy your life, you are a few years from retirement.

Plus if you don’t think you would be a “good cop”, why bother.

Buy a fishing pole, find a good spot, and enjoy taco Tuesday’s. Do what you want, not work some wonky schedule and start at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well...as I mentioned above, I am self employed and am not just a few years from retirement. Pretty much will work until I am physical unable to.

Keep the input coming.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 04-19-2019, 6:08 PM

No. Are you prepared to work for younger, less competent supervisors? Do you want the stress of the internal politics?
Old 04-19-2019, 6:21 PM

Are you ready to go to graveyard and work 80% of all holidays for the next 5+ years?
Old 04-19-2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish45 View Post
Are you ready to go to graveyard and work 80% of all holidays for the next 5+ years?
^This, plus a bunch more. Have you done any ride alongs? Not trying to be a smartass, but do you know anything more about the day to day work or lifestyle of being a LEO other than what you’ve seen on tv or in the movies?

There are freaks of nature out there, I’ve worked with a couple, but for the most part, police work is a young person’s game. The hours, stress, adrenaline dumps, shift work (not to mention all the crap you have to wear) will age you prematurely. Not saying you couldn’t do it, and with your life experience you could be at an advantage over other candidates, plus it’d be a huge help in dealing with the people and problems you’d experience during calls for service. However, you may have too much life experience in that much of the bs, both internal and external, you will have to deal with be that much more frustrating.

As long as you go in with your eyes wide open, and you’re honest with yourself and your prospective agency, I say go for it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about my experiences.
Old 04-19-2019, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

No. IMO, at your age it's not worth it. Cop work now-a-days is a young man's game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't care how fit you are, the older you get, the longer it takes injuries for to heal.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM

Why in the world, at any age, would you want to put yourself in such a dangerous, thankless, and politically mixed environment?

Even doing everything right can result in you being labeled as a racist member of the blue gang...

No thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Possibly. What would your career goals be as a Deputy Sheriff? What positions are available within the department and what are your skills? At 50 years old if you are not looking to live out childhood dreams of chasing and arresting people, then maybe working in the courts would be a great option.

As was already mentioned, it is a case by case basis. I'm sure your buddy would be able to fill you in on what positions might be available to you straight out of the academy, and what benefits you can hope to earn before retirement age.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Don't forget Sheriff's time working the Jail for several years. Right now it is a thankless job that even Supervisors fang you for their own good. After 32+ years I'm glad it's over. Don't get me wrong I loved going to work I started at Lynwood (between Compton/Watts) in the early 80's. I always felt that I had the best job in the world until the last couple of years. The Dept. promoted inept people upon gender not qualification. Though I must say Retirement Is Awesome with ccw creds!!! Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Don't do it. I graduated the academy at 36 and I'm just staying long enough (2 years to go) to get my medical for me and the Mrs. And believe you me, after all the physical stuff I got into I'm going to need that coveted benefit.

Ask yourself is it worth for you (and your family) if you got seriously injured on duty at your age. If you still want to get a taste, go through the Reserve academy and keep your day job. At LASD you donate 20 hours a month, but any other time you work you'll get paid.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It is my personal opinion, that we all can benefit more from having people with longer life experience (and hopefully wisdom) out on the streets with badges, as the mix seems these days on average to be pretty young. In 2019 being 50 years old is not what being 50 in 1990 was about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
That's one of the biggest factors - these positions are mostly weighted about serving time in for the pension benefits. If those numbers don't work for you with the risk you would undertake and you giving up what you have now, especially with this kind of position, that's a real big consideration.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 04-20-2019, 7:18 PM

I know there was a 55? year old female recruit in the academy. She kicked many young ones' butt. There is no age limit that I know now. If one can make it, all the power to the person.
Old 04-20-2019, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would think it is a decision that you have to make. The biggest thing most of have in life is regrets so you need to make a decision that your comfortable with as you don’t wanna be 70 years and regret not trying something because you had reservations or fears. I know several late in life officers that made it and became successful law enforcement officers as you have a lot more life experience and common sense than a 21 year old does
Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I don't see the age as a big issue if you really wanted it. But you seem pretty lukewarm about it, and the academy will be a much harder slog if you don’t really want to be there. The older guys I went through with all did well, but they had the fire in their belly to compensate for any physical disadvantages.

If you want it, do it. But it is a commitment and it just gets tougher when you leave the training environment and start doing actual LEO work. I wouldnt have any expectation of landing an admin spot of any sort until you make your bones in the trenches first.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:06 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
Ask yourself this; can you live with the thought that you passed up a chance
to do your best for someone on their worst day..?

if the thought really doesn't register to you- then you're probably good where you are in life.

..but if the thought of the above makes you stop and think of your life so far, and how you can add to it?, Then take that step fwd and find out what difference you can make in someone's life.
I just need to bump this.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

No, don’t do it. If it isn’t/hasn’t been a burning desire of yours it ain’t worth the risk, heartache, stress, and likely injuries.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 04-21-2019, 7:53 AM

My opinion as someone who has the pleasure of being a full time training officer on patrol with this wonderful millenial generation:

Academy - sure no big deal if you're in shape

Jail - sure easy money but gets boring after a while

Patrol - absolutely not. I've had a few 50+ year old trainees and while they were good people, they quickly realized running around chasing and fighting young criminals around was not for them.

So they either stayed and became a slug on patrol (lazy), or went back to work at the jail.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone but looking at myself I'd say 100% I couldn't start this job in my 50s.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Though I miss it every single day, patrol is a young man's game. Sorry.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Old 04-21-2019, 5:44 PM

lots of good input - ultimately depends on you and your goals. In general, it’ll take 5 years to vest in the retirement system

Perhaps help the department as a volunteer, search and rescue

To be a reserve nowadays, will basically require a full academy (full time academy or modular).
Old 04-22-2019, 3:17 AM
Veteran Member

Many here keep suggesting that age 50 is really “nothing” for academy PT. While that may be true, in reality though the academy is a mere grain of salt for what’s really to come with the job AFTER the academy. It definitely is a young man’s/woman’s job and when starting out new.

I’d say you’re nuts and if not already divorced from starting a new career like being a cop, you’ll soon end up divorced.

At 50, everyone’s mental acuteness is diminished big time. The job is though and mentally demanding these days, and now more than ever. And you’re just starting out trying to learn all the inns and outs with being in LE at that age?

Plus, your mindset says the job isn’t for you. If one has to hymn and haw and contemplate if the job is for them, then it probably isn’t. That bus for this type of career left you years ago buddy.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 04-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
I just need to bump this.

Hooah ABN..

I'm seeing too many timid souls, and not enough "**** It, let's see what happens.."
Old 04-23-2019, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
Would you consider becoming a deputy sheriff at the age of 50?
Well will it bother you if you got beat up by a 6-3 300# 25 year old thug? Or sucker punch by a 12 year old girl?

For Civil Service why not go to the Postal Service?
Old 04-23-2019, 3:04 PM
In Memoriam

I would not do it if I could not vest into retirement and medical.
Old 04-26-2019, 7:03 AM

Don't do it.

I don't think age is the limiting factor for you. LE doesn't seem to a lifelong dream or anything for you; you sound more curious than anything since your buddy mentioned it. If you're not properly motivated the bull**** in LE will consume you very quickly. Even the "wanted to be a cop my whole life" guys turn very bitter after a while. Looking at your post you seem like a nice enough guy with a fulfilling life. Keep it that way and stay out of LE.

I assume your buddy has time in since he's in an admin position now (not a prerequisite at my agency). He's probably been off the streets for a while and doesn't fully realize how much patrol has changed even in the last five years. Patrol based police work has been dying a slow avocado toast fueled instagram broadcasted death and it will never come back. It is NOT what it used to be. I cannot stress this point enough.

Oh, and you're right. being on someone else's schedule sucks. I cannot even imaging going to midnights with rotating days off after being self employed for 25 years. I just landed in a specialized unit with a "normal" schedule and realized how much 12 years of a patrol schedule has drained me.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Old 04-30-2019, 6:14 PM

I have been self employed for about 25 years. And setting aside the whole LEO thing, the thought of being on someone else’s schedule is worrisome.

Don't do it, it only looks cool on tv but especially for your situation there isn't much benefit. The biggest benefit is early retirement which won't benefit you.

Now for some new college grad or military vet it's a great job to get started in. For that money they are making they have to work a lot of overtime.

Not a cop but work with them daily.

Last edited by Beagle; 04-30-2019 at 6:17 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
No. Are you prepared to work for younger, less competent supervisors? Do you want the stress of the internal politics?
This right here is the one that gets most guys our age. this far along in life do you really want to deal with a 34 year old guy critiquing you and telling you what to do? being your supervisor?
Old 05-12-2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
This right here is the one that gets most guys our age. this far along in life do you really want to deal with a 34 year old guy critiquing you and telling you what to do? being your supervisor?
34 is generous
Old 05-15-2019, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcop143 View Post
Have you done any ride alongs? Not trying to be a smartass, but do you know anything more about the day to day work or lifestyle of being a LEO other than what you’ve seen on tv or in the movies?
I grew up on Ponch & John hitting the disco at the end of each episode. They always got the bad guy, and they always had fun doing it.

Early in my career while working graves my partner & I got a call of a solo vehicle t/c in the McD’s drivethrough. It was 1 or 2 in the am and dude was passed out behind the wheel. He basically just coasted into the side of the building. So we pry the passenger door open & the STENCH hits us. Dude had crapped his pants but huge. Medics arrive & we assist with “extrication”. Apparently he had some serious diarrhea & had been in the car so long that his pants were stuck to the seat. Sounded just like velcro as we peeled him out.

So we get him to the hospital and are waiting for the blood draw when the nurse brings us his clothes in a bio bag. They needed to know who he was (as did we) and, of course, his wallet was in his back pocket. So my partner & I flipped a coin to see who would dig around in the bio bag & go through his wallet. Thank GOD my partner lost.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 05-15-2019, 2:07 AM

My Wife just reupped at 49. She'd been out of law enforcement for 25 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM

I know a guy who went to the academy at 52 and did 20 years, patrol and detectives in a busy, med-high crime city. However,
He was a reserve officer for 4 years prior and had the LE bug. I’m not getting that feel from your post that you have that strong of a desire to do this job. I think to be successful in this profession, it has to be a calling. It isn’t just a job.
I’ve been out 5 years and miss parts of it. However, in the current political environment, political correctness, cameras everywhere, social media, and lack of support in general, I can’t recommend a career in LE to anyone. If AB 392 passes, why would anyone who understands what cops face want to go into the profession just to be second guessed and prosecuted.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2monaro View Post
My opinion as someone who has the pleasure of being a full time training officer on patrol with this wonderful millenial generation:

Academy - sure no big deal if you're in shape

Jail - sure easy money but gets boring after a while

Patrol - absolutely not. I've had a few 50+ year old trainees and while they were good people, they quickly realized running around chasing and fighting young criminals around was not for them.

So they either stayed and became a slug on patrol (lazy), or went back to work at the jail.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone but looking at myself I'd say 100% I couldn't start this job in my 50s.
This 100%. All the comments about 50 year olds performing well in the academy are great. Hell in my academy we had a retired 50 year old Army Lt. Colonel who was a great guy, great leader and great in PT. But running an O-Course at 50 when you are prepared for it and after stretching out is one thing. Running after an 18 year old burglary suspect over fences and then fighting with them with no warning in the middle of a graveyard shift is completely different.

And as others have said, you do seem lukewarm about the idea. Probably because of your maturity and experience.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt