Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-11-2021, 10:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Threading a skinny barrel?

I have a .308 Tikka T3X Superlite, which has a skinny barrel. Is there a reasonable low-cost solution to threading the muzzle? It's too small for the traditional 5/8-24 threading. I don't want to replace the barrel. Is there a fairly low-cost solution? I've seen barrels with a "swell" near the end that provides a flat area to thread a muzzle device against, but that looks like a very expensive way to go.
Old 10-12-2021, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

30 cals can be threaded 1/2-28. I do it quite often on light weight hunting rigs. KDF Slimline fits well and looks good, with ample torque shoulder.
Not sure what is reasonable or low cost to you, but if you want a good job, you might want to think of reasonable for the guy putting it on too.
Old 10-12-2021, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I have a .308 Tikka T3X Superlite, which has a skinny barrel. Is there a reasonable low-cost solution to threading the muzzle? It's too small for the traditional 5/8-24 threading. I don't want to replace the barrel. Is there a fairly low-cost solution? I've seen barrels with a "swell" near the end that provides a flat area to thread a muzzle device against, but that looks like a very expensive way to go.
I thread them 9/16-24 of 1/2-28 depending on what the actual barrel diameter is.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-13-2021, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Does the barrel have to be removed?
Old 10-13-2021, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Not usually on Tikkas. The receiver fits in the lathe spindle.
Old 10-13-2021, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Does the barrel have to be removed?
I thread 20" and longer bolt gun barrels with the receiver still on the barrel.
Shorter than 20" depends on if the receiver will fit into the spindle bore or not.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-14-2021, 7:36 AM

Assuming you're putting a brake on? There are clamp-on alternatives. Tuners, ditto.

Ideal? Probably not.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My battery died in my digital caliper and I couldn't measure the muzzle. But I found stuff on the web that indicated it was in the .60 area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I thread 20" and longer bolt gun barrels with the receiver still on the barrel.
Shorter than 20" depends on if the receiver will fit into the spindle bore or not.
It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I think it's 22". Skinny and fluted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Assuming you're putting a brake on? There are clamp-on alternatives. Tuners, ditto.

Ideal? Probably not.
Silencer. So the shoulder has to be nice and square. Or nice and tapered. Either way, just consistent.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:56 AM

Consider if you really want a brake. The recoil of a 308 does not require a brake. Hearing protection has no place in the hunting field. The concussion and noise is dangerous to your ears and especially to your hunting partner. If you shoot prone it will kick up a bunch of dust and debris. The concussion is uncomfortable and distracting making a follow up shot slower. Shoot once, shoot straight, assess the reaction of the game. Shoot again if you must.

I refuse to hunt with anyone who is sporting a brake in their rifle. I do not own anything with a brake, never will. That is 50 years experience, hundreds of head of big game, and severely damaged hearing talking.

Brakes are "cool" among the young and inexperienced. I choose my rifles for more practical reasons. I understand I am a dinosaur and now in a minority.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Put a ross schuler brake on it he turns it to conform to barrel od. Did a nice job on my 300 mag and my sons .308; Very reasonable price. Randall did out install using ross brake
Old 10-14-2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scota4570 View Post
Consider if you really want a brake. The recoil of a 308 does not require a brake. Hearing protection has no place in the hunting field. The concussion and noise is dangerous to your ears and especially to your hunting partner. If you shoot prone it will kick up a bunch of dust and debris. The concussion is uncomfortable and distracting making a follow up shot slower. Shoot once, shoot straight, assess the reaction of the game. Shoot again if you must.

I refuse to hunt with anyone who is sporting a brake in their rifle. I do not own anything with a brake, never will. That is 50 years experience, hundreds of head of big game, and severely damaged hearing talking.

Brakes are "cool" among the young and inexperienced. I choose my rifles for more practical reasons. I understand I am a dinosaur and now in a minority.

See post above yours.
Old 10-14-2021, 6:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scota4570 View Post

Who said I want a brake? Not me.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hush now youngun, old men are yelling at clouds and such...

Quote:
Who said I want a brake? Not me.
Old 10-15-2021, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Silencer. So the shoulder has to be nice and square.
I would not put a suppressor on a superlight centerfire barrel if there is not at least 0.1" of shoulder for it to square up against or if the suppressor will square itself against the muzzle instead of against the shoulder behind the threads.