Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default Semi fancy knife steel long term review - D2, S30V and 154CM

I have a few regular carry knives. The majority of them are D2. One is S30V, the most exotic steel I own, and three of them are 154CM.

I own a few beaters in AUS10 or the like, but I no longer carry those. I used to on my kayak and when I fished a lot. That was when losing them into the drink was a real danger.

In the 7 years since I started owning knives with better steel, Ive come to the following conclusion.

154CM is what I like. D2 is nothing special and requires regular maintenance for my light package opening and garden duties. Too much for what those knives cost. I can't even detect if they hold their edges better than cheap AUD steel. It was a mistake investing in D2.

S30V is too much work to sharpen. It's also too fancy for a semi-working knife. I cringe having to sharpen such an expensive blade. It would feel better getting it professionally done, but then, who has the time to spend on getting a blade sharpened? 154CM also requires work to sharpen, but the balance between edge retention and the sharpening task required every 2 to 3 years is ok. For a show knife, I'd probably try an even higher grade of steel, but for EDC and work, I'm very cool with 154CM.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 10-13-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Old 10-13-2021, 12:21 PM

I don't mind D2 but it does take... maintenance.

154CM is some of the best all around steels out there.

S30V is great if you have a good sharpening system.

well, I guess they are all good if you have a good sharpening systme
Old 10-13-2021, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What are some good ones in 154 CM?
Old 10-13-2021, 12:31 PM

I have a Benchmade with a S30V blade. I have a sharpener for it and it works okay but does not create as good an edge as sending it in to them for sharpening. I use it daily and when fishing. I use the sharpener when it's loses an edge and for what I do it sharpens enough to be adequate for my usage.

Thanks for your post. I didn't really know what I had till reading your post and looking at my blade. I looked up on their site and they make blades from all those materials you mention. Something to take into consideration when buying.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
What are some good ones in 154 CM?
Ive had great luck with Leatherman and Kershaw 154CM blades.
Old 10-13-2021, 1:10 PM

Doesnít Buck use 420HC? On paper itís bad but doesnít the hardening process make all the difference?
Old 10-13-2021, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
Doesnít Buck use 420HC? On paper itís bad but doesnít the hardening process make all the difference?
I would say its even steven for me D2 and below. Iíll never pay for D2 again; but if I can get a 20-50 dollar knife close to D2 steel, Iíd consider it.
Old 10-13-2021, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
I would say its even steven for me D2 and below. Iíll never pay for D2 again; but if I can get a 20-50 dollar knife close to D2 steel, Iíd consider it.

I have bought big Spanish knives all my life. They use pretty low end steel, stuff like X42 , MoVa-58. Junky stuff, just high carbon 420. But theyíve always worked for me and not one has been a dud.

I recently got an N695 Cudeman knife. Hope it exceeds my very modest expectations.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post

Nice little knife for $25. D2 steel...

https://www.amazon.com/Arrival-Fireb...4191996&sr=8-4

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-15-2021, 5:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
Doesn’t Buck use 420HC? On paper it’s bad but doesn’t the hardening process make all the difference?
Yes, Buck uses a lot of 420HC and have done so for years with great success. But they also make knives here in the US with S30V, S35V, D2, and many others.

If someone says any one steel is the universal best knife steel, that is proof the person does not know knives or steel.

Knife steel is all about balancing many tradeoffs, and that balance must consider the use of the knife and the user's preferences.

If one buys from a great knife maker like Buck, you can bet their R& D folks looked at the tradeoffs in selecting the steel for each particular offering.

Then you have Anza that makes most of their absolutely beautiful knives out of files.....ok, a few Anza fishing knives are from spring steel.
Old 10-15-2021, 6:17 AM

I find the standard steels used on kershaw, like the 14something on my Blur and the 42cn on my link are fine. They don’t hold an edge as long as I’d like but they sharpen easy and take a great edge. I have a worksharp Ken onion edition so none are difficult to sharpen but it’s definitely easier with these “common” steels. I have one S30 but haven’t carried it enough to need to sharpen it, it’s a Persian looking ZT.

Since I can’t corroborate your evidence I feel I need to buy some knives now to give a through second opinion

Red