Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:39 PM

Default Storage for mason jars & canned food Question

I am preparing to move - I am looking for cheap containers that I can use for moving my stored food, primarily Mason Jars but canned food as well & some #10 cans; and ideally leave them stored in these containers and use the items out of the storage containers. I have some cardboard boxes that fit pint size Mason Jars perfectly, but I would prefer something more durable.

Any suggestions or tips?
Old 09-27-2021, 2:39 PM

Uline sells storage boxes with dividers, in mason jar sizes.
https://www.uline.com/BL_29/Canning-Jar-Boxes
Old 09-27-2021, 9:51 PM

$3.80 - $5.00 for cardboard boxes? Seems awful steep to me. I found a cardboard box on Amazon for just over a buck - but I was hoping for something more long lasting.
Old 09-28-2021, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Grocery store freebies cardboard fruit boxes. Very sturdy and free for the asking. Put cloth or towels or whatever to protect cargo from slamming together.

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-28-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Grocery store freebies cardboard fruit boxes. Very sturdy and free for the asking. Put cloth or towels or whatever to protect cargo from slamming together.

I kind of like this idea & I'll keep looking, but I can't recall ever seeing one of these that would contain Quart jars.

What I was really hoping for was a black stackable plastic container that would perfectly fit 2 stacks of 12 pints or 1 stack of 12 quarts, and cost about $10. I guess if it was that easy I would have found it already. I have found bins that are too big or too small, but none that fit precise. I also found a plastic clam-shell style container, but it was like $30 ea - that's too rich for my blood.

I did find cardboard boxes that will perfectly fit 12 Pint jars with an extra piece of cardboard on top & bottom & each jar wrapped in a piece of newspaper. I was looking for something that would also accommodate Quart jars &/or something sturdier than cardboard (if these get wet at all the cardboard will fall apart). https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BT5G8...roduct_details
Old 09-28-2021, 3:09 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're moving the jars from A to B just lay the jars on their sides. You trust the lids?

We use these type boxes to grocery shop and they hold up and stack just fine. How likely are these gonna see wet weather to have a chance to degrade? You can easily water proof cardboard. Ye ole tub of Johnson's paste wax. garbage bag as a cover or spray paint 'em??

*grocery stores will basically give you any of the boxes they have. Go ask anybody at the loading dock. All free boxes can be had before they get banded up to go the the recycler. Good luck finding custom fit.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-29-2021, 3:04 AM

Maybe milk crates will do.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Go buy plastic totes. You can get the cheap clear ones.
Old 10-03-2021, 2:22 AM

The black tubs with yellow lids at Costco or Sam's Club. Which coincidentally will also give you the cardboard boxes @FeuerFrei is referring too..FREE!!
Old 10-03-2021, 3:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FUD from feuer frie never on side. hard to crush mason jars stored with lids up. But drop box with jars sideways and broken mess. What an idiot. Never seem them sideways and never will .
Old 10-03-2021, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
FUD from feuer frie never on side. hard to crush mason jars stored with lids up. But drop box with jars sideways and broken mess. What an idiot. Never seem them sideways and never will .
Your statement is ignorant. Moving jars on their sides can be done without any problems. We're not storing them this way. OP wants to move them from A to B and get them there in one piece.

Dropping boxes of empty jars will cause casualties. If I have to explain any more to you then your idiocy will will continue to be self evident.

Your comment has no value to me.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-04-2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
The black tubs with yellow lids at Costco or Sam's Club. Which coincidentally will also give you the cardboard boxes @FeuerFrei is referring too..FREE!!
I'm using those for many things, but they are too big for mason jars . . . if you fill them up with full mason jars they're too heavy to move easily. I may put smaller boxes in to these containers for storage on the other end though.
Old 10-04-2021, 7:34 PM

I basically have 4 types of jars: Pint Mason, Quart Mason, Aldi Brand Salsa jars, & large Vlassic Pickle jars. I bought one size cardboard box for the Pint jars & Salsa jars, a larger cardboard box for Quart size jars, and was able to empty enough existing plastic totes for the large Pickle jars. By having only 3 sizes of standard boxes I can stack them (they actually stack very well in stacks of 1 plastic tote, with 2 Quart jar boxes on top, and 3 Pint jar boxes on top of that. By keeping the cardboard off the ground and installing a small fan for ventilation this should store fine for the length of time I need it too.

One piece of advice - if you're going to move eat all your food first! It's a PITA to move.
Old 10-05-2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I'm using those for many things, but they are too big for mason jars . . . if you fill them up with full mason jars they're too heavy to move easily. I may put smaller boxes in to these containers for storage on the other end though.
There are smaller sizes of those same bins. I think Costco and Sam's both carry the same size only. But if you look at HD or Lowe's you might find a smaller size if you're concerned with breakage of the jars and weight of the loaded bin.
Old 10-05-2021, 1:52 PM

A little expensive, but these get high reviews.

https://www.rootsandharvest.com/prod...xoC040QAvD_BwE
Old 10-05-2021, 5:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why don’t you just use regular boxes. Cut some up to make dividers between the jars. Then make a top cover to do a double tier per box.
When yiu get to the destination yiu can shred the cardboard soak in water and make fire logs for winter

I save all the boxes and packing supplies I get from packages that I order. When I move a lot of the boxes will be used.
Old 10-08-2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skavert View Post
A little expensive, but these get high reviews.

https://www.rootsandharvest.com/prod...xoC040QAvD_BwE
I did find those, but I would need 20 (P's & Q's combined) and $400 seemed unreasonable.
Old 10-08-2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
Why don’t you just use regular boxes. Cut some up to make dividers between the jars. Then make a top cover to do a double tier per box.
When yiu get to the destination yiu can shred the cardboard soak in water and make fire logs for winter

I save all the boxes and packing supplies I get from packages that I order. When I move a lot of the boxes will be used.
I ended up using cardboard boxes I bought on Amazon - yes, I'm sure I could have got free ones, but the hassle just wasn't worth it. Instead of using cardboard as a divider I wrapped each jar in newspaper.

While I like the idea of reusing things, not letting things go to waste, & not adding to our landfills; as I mentioned I am moving to a temporary location where I will be for about a year, so I plan to keep the jars in the boxes, use them out of the boxes, refill the jars and put them back in the boxes, and use the boxes when I move on (that's why I was looking for something more durable than cardboard).
Old 10-10-2021, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

We had some 64oz Mason jars I never got to filling, as we are moving to TX, and ants were HORRIBLE this year...
Coming all the time, even from the walls behind the sockets and cabinets.

The 64 oz mason jars saved our bacon, as these damned ants LOVE our cat food, and got into the bag/containers. Vacuum sealed the buggars in 64 oz mason jars and vacuum-seal bags (we buy the 15 LB cat food, as it is much cheaper this way) and more protein for the gatos...

Wife was going to pitch the bag, BUT I knew I had a better solution!

Next bag I saved some pretzel and nut containers, and mason jars still had the overflow.
Old 10-12-2021, 8:08 AM

Default question re: vaccum sealed ants

Great idea, how long did the ants live under vaccum?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
We had some 64oz Mason jars I never got to filling, as we are moving to TX, and ants were HORRIBLE this year...
Coming all the time, even from the walls behind the sockets and cabinets.

The 64 oz mason jars saved our bacon, as these damned ants LOVE our cat food, and got into the bag/containers. Vacuum sealed the buggars in 64 oz mason jars and vacuum-seal bags (we buy the 15 LB cat food, as it is much cheaper this way) and more protein for the gatos...

Wife was going to pitch the bag, BUT I knew I had a better solution!

Next bag I saved some pretzel and nut containers, and mason jars still had the overflow.
Do you like Pickles? Buy the Vlassic Pickles in the large jars (I think their 1 gallon. You could fill these with cat food, put in your oven @ 200 for 20 min, put the lid on and turn the oven off - the jar will reseal as it cools. This is not preserved - but it will get rid of any moisture & reseal the jars.
Old 10-13-2021, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting_mom View Post
Great idea, how long did the ants live under vaccum?
SECONDS!

IRL, I have no clue, nothing was moving once the vacuum started...

Last edited by the86d; 10-14-2021 at 3:43 AM..