Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-01-2021, 7:41 PM

Default Renewal Question

If one were to be approved, say weeks or months before the current LTC were to expire, would the IA...

1. Issue a start date one day after the current LTC were to expire? (Example: Bobís license expires 11/1. His renewal was issued on 10/1 with a start date of 11/2.)

or

2. Issue early with a start date that runs parallel to the current? (Example: Bobís license expires 11/1. His renewal was issued on 10/1 with a start date of 10/1.)

or

3. Moot. Renewals are never issued before current licenses expire.

or

4. Varies by IA.
Old 10-02-2021, 5:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
If one were to be approved, say weeks or months before the current LTC were to expire, would the IA...

1. Issue a start date one day after the current LTC were to expire? (Example: Bobís license expires 11/1. His renewal was issued on 10/1 with a start date of 11/2.)

or

2. Issue early with a start date that runs parallel to the current? (Example: Bobís license expires 11/1. His renewal was issued on 10/1 with a start date of 10/1.)

or

3. Moot. Renewals are never issued before current licenses expire.

or

4. Varies by IA.
I can't talk about all IA's, but I can tell you how San Bernardino county does it.

Regardless of when you renew and get your new permit, they run back to back.

Bob's permit expires on 11/15. Bob files for renewal on 8/16. Bob gets new permit on 9/20. Bob's new permit shows that it's valid from 11/16/this year through 11/15/two years from now. Bob will need to carry his current permit until his new permit is valid.

Here's another situation to consider.

Bob's permit expires on 11/15/this year. Bob files for his renewal on 11/1/this year. Bob's new permit DOES NOT arrive before 11/15/this year. On 11/16 Bob can no longer carry.

Bob's new permit arrives on 12/20/this year. Bob's new permit shows that it's valid from 11/16/this year through 11/15/two years from now. Bob lost more than a month of carrying because he waited to turn in his renewal.

Don't be Bob number 2.

Sent from my OnePlus Nord N10 5G using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

ĒBenitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacityĒ
Old 10-02-2021, 5:54 AM

Sacramento use to issue your renewal with the date issue when you pick it up. I've lost a total of 8 months because of this. Now they issue with the date after your current one expire.
Old 10-02-2021, 6:44 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Placer County issues a renewal with the expiration based off the renewal approval date.

Example, Bob's permit expires on 11/15. Bob files for renewal on 8/16. Bob gets new permit issued on 9/20. Bob's new permit shows that it's valid from 9/20/this year through 9/20/two years from now.

So, if you apply early, you lose time. I just accept it, because I am not waiting until the last minute. I'd rather be early than late. I usually lose 30 to 45 days every two years. My renewal date keeps getting earlier every 2 years. So does my qualification window.

So like most things CCW in CA, it varies by IA.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-02-2021 at 6:50 AM..
Old 10-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Interesting. Sounds like it’s all over the place (differing from county to county).
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
In San Bernardino...they run back to back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Sacramento use to issue your renewal with the date issue when you pick it up. I've lost a total of 8 months because of this. Now they issue with the date after your current one expire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Placer County issues a renewal with the expiration based off the renewal issue date.
Thanks for the replies.

As for Bob, I’m of the opinion he should have never been approved in the first place. The man is reckless.
Old 10-02-2021, 2:54 PM

Orange County issues back to back as well.
Cheers,
Mauserguy
Old 10-02-2021, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you'll have better luck if you post this question on your specific IA board. Who knows if all IA's handle it the same way.

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-03-2021, 11:42 AM

Our county uses the Permitium online system that allows you to choose what day to come in, so the new date will refect that.
I picked mine up about 3 weeks before the actual expiration date, and the new permit started the day I came in to get it.

The old way was all done through the phone, you would call in the renewal and they will tell you when to come in, usually on or very near the expiration date, so it was pretty much back to back in those days.

Last edited by Nismo; 10-03-2021 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-03-2021, 3:09 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
Our county uses the Permitium online system that allows you to choose what day to come in, so the new date will refect that.
I picked mine up about 3 weeks before the actual expiration date, and the new permit started the day I came in to get it.

The old way was all done through the phone, you would call in the renewal and they will tell you when to come in, usually on or very near the expiration date, so it was pretty much back to back in those days.
Placer uses Permitium too, but our renewals are mailed to us - no need for a visit.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Placer uses Permitium too, but our renewals are mailed to us - no need for a visit.
Does your county issue a hard plastic card and the rice paper?

Our county recently switched to Permitium starting this year, and we had to come in to get a picture taken for the plastic card. They have us carry two cards now. Maybe next renewal will be through the mail like you guys.
Old 10-06-2021, 3:19 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
Does your county issue a hard plastic card and the rice paper?

Our county recently switched to Permitium starting this year, and we had to come in to get a picture taken for the plastic card. They have us carry two cards now. Maybe next renewal will be through the mail like you guys.
We just get the paper. Actually now they just send us a scaled down photocopy so it fits in the wallet.

Old 10-06-2021, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
The Sheriff's website, last entry, disagrees with you...

Quote:
Note: Your new expiration date is the date the permit is approved/printed. Current expiration dates on your permit will not be carried over to the newly renewed permit. Therefore, if you apply well in advance of your current expiration date you will be forfeiting the remainder of the days that are left on your current permit.
Old 10-08-2021, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I think a big part of this depends on your issuing agency. In San Diego, they said not to apply more than 30 days before your license was set to expire. Mine expired in the middle of July last year. Exactly 30 prior to that, I reapplied. Because of Covid and general lack of staff/urgency, I ended up with a 14 day gap between when my last one expired and my new one was issued. And I was told I was NOT allowed to carry during that period. Think about that. The Sheriff's office determined I had good cause to carry, but refused to let me carry for two weeks because they were slow. It is a messed-up system.

-Mb
Old 10-13-2021, 9:07 PM

IA uses Permitium. We apply for renewal 90 days prior to expiration. I received my new rice paper on expiration day. Start date was the next day. Nicely done!