Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

View Poll Results: SRO vs 507c ACSS
SRO 13 52.00%
507c ACSS 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2021, 9:11 AM

Default RE: SRO vs 507 ACSS dot acquisition speed and shootability

Lets please keep this discussion to not what is made where, this topic is purely for those that have downrange experience with both and my only question at this point in deciding does not hinge on price or features but dot acquisition and general shoot-ability. Which between the SRO and 507 ACSS is faster to acquire the dot and in general better to shoot with?
Old 07-28-2021, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

i don't have either, but ordered and SRO to replace the romeo1 i am using on my p229, basically because i wanted to try the larger window.
i ordered the 2.5 moa dot because i want more precision, but many like the big dot if they are more concerned with speed.
from what i have seen, there is enough bloom on higher setting to make the 2.5moa version more visible if needed.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a friend that shoots an SRO on his competition Glock and a Delta Point Pro on his competition Sig. But, he recently purchased 2 Holosun 507's with the Vulcan ACSS for his carry guns because he liked the optic so much. When his life is on the line, he wants the quick correction of that giant ring.

He will likely switch out his competition guns to run the Vulcan ACSS in the near future. Unfortunately, it's expensive to replace that many optics.

The 250 MOA ring is MUCH faster to re-acquire your dot (chevron) if you loose it. That 250 MOA ring also negates the need for a bigger window.

If you noticed, pistol optic windows kept getting bigger and bigger to help with re-acquiring your dot. But the new 250 MOA ring means you don't need a bigger window and it's even faster than even the biggest windows.

I'll guarantee you that all pistol optics will adopt the big ring in the next few years over a big window. It's a revolutionary improvement, not an incremental improvement.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 07-29-2021 at 4:46 PM..
Old 07-28-2021, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

I understand where you are coming from with your question, but IMO dot acquisition & speed greatly depends on your level of training. Meaning what is fast for me, may or may not be fast for you, because our training level is likely not the same. And I also think of the correction ring as something of a training wheel - Eventually your reliance on it will reduce to the point of basically not needing it anymore and at that point, I really dont think you would see a meaningful difference between them in terms of speed.

I did recently pick up a 507c X2 ACSS and while I like the idea of it, my eye just really doesn't seem to work with the chevron. I have an astigmatism that is corrected with lenses and I seem to have no issue with any other dot, but for whatever reason the chevron still looks funky to me. Whats odd is my wife sees the exact same thing as I do and she has perfect vision and no astigmatism. But it looks perfect through a camera, so not sure whats up with it. I will likely just sell it and replace it with either another Trijicon or maybe a DPP. Neither one of those looks distorted while I'm wearing corrective lenses. So as far as "General shootability" goes, my vote is for the Trijicon. This is my first and likely last Holosun, so not sure its worth figuring out /shrug.

Last edited by Meety Peety; 07-28-2021 at 6:31 PM..
Old 07-29-2021, 9:10 AM

I have both and I think it’s a balance. With lots of reps and training, you should be able to have good enough muscle memory that when you present your pistol the dot is always there. However under a stressful life or death situation that may not always be the case, and I think the acss Vulcan reticle wins here because of the ability for instant feedback on the corrections you need to make to bring the reticle back into view. If In a defensive situation you get pushed down or end up in some weird position for example, the muscle memory built around just standing at a range and drawing/presenting goes out the window and under that kind of stress, I don’t think you’ll be able to 100% replicate a “perfect draw/presentation”, resulting in the inability to quickly find the dot.

I used the acss Vulcan to practice drawstroke and presentation and overtime it translated to the SRO. The dot was always there on presentation.
Old 07-30-2021, 9:58 AM

I shoot USPSA competition. I use the SRO and have looked through the ACSS. I find the outer ring & inner reticle too "busy" for me. I like the single 5 minute dot. I find it faster and more accurate at speed. When I was working I had a Holosight (outer ring & a dot) on my M4 and asked that my reticle be changed to a single dot. Same reasons..... So maybe it's me, but it is an individual preference. I also like how easy the battery can be changed on the SRO and simple adjustments.

A decent test would be to try both on a simple plate rack at speed and see whats better for you.

FYI.....Sooner or later the dot will die on you & will probably have to be sent in for repairs. Might take 5K or 25K rounds. Look at warranties for both.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Vulcan ACSS is much faster. We used to be a RMR and SRO family but there is no comparison. Esp when shooting from awkward positions.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM

This thread was a mistake, it's only left me more confused!
Old 07-30-2021, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnyden View Post
This thread was a mistake, it's only left me more confused!
if you are an experienced shooter, you shouldn't have to "find the dot".
many make that mistake, instead of letting muscle memory do all the work.
if you present the gun so that you can see the iron sight picture, the dot will be there.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:28 AM

I'm a new shooter to RDO on handguns, but not a new shooter overall. So would I miss the large window of the SRO if I got the 507c acss? Do any of the top competitors use the 507c acss? or are they mostly on SRO? I was just wondering if all the hype about the large window really does mean those new to the RDO on handgun world can find the dot fast or the acss is better suited to this but the smaller window eventually holds you back.
Old 07-31-2021, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is this just for competition?
Old 07-31-2021, 6:44 PM

This optic would be just for competition eventually but also to learn red dots on pistols as well, something that can grow with me as I become competitive down the road.
Old 08-01-2021, 8:20 AM

After reading your reply to previous posts I have my 2 cents and hope that it'll help you. For a starter RDS you probably want a good size dot with a big window to get use to the presentation drill.

Different guns and application may dictate special features. Are you staying on a specific platform for competition (like USPSA Carry-Optics), or is this just going on your defense rig? If cost is not the limiting factor get both!? Or try to get rentals at a range store and try them out. Unfortunately both the SRO and the 507VUL are rarely discounted at the moment. But like mastering the trigger you need a lot of dry fire practice with whatever you end up getting. Different sights work for different folks, so if it sounded confusing to you it's actually is. Absolutely hands on.... And may be a RDS transition class could help.

Last edited by LVcleef; 08-01-2021 at 8:02 PM..
Old 08-01-2021, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

ok, if this is for a rifle and not a pistol, dot acquisition is not typically a problem because your cheek weld takes care of that. i have never had an issue with even a primary arms micro dot.
where the larger window helps (imho) is with both eyes open action shooting where your overall sight picture is more seamless.
Old 08-01-2021, 8:59 AM

It’s for pistol
Old 08-24-2021, 9:42 PM

I've run both the SR0 5 moa and the 507C ACSS in IDPA. I'm an experienced shooter but have only shot IDPA club matches for about 2 years.
Started with irons but with aging eyes, carry optics made sense. Started with 3 moa RDS with smaller windows (FastFire3 and Vortex Venom) and had difficulty in quickly acquiring the dot. Switching to the SRO 5 moa improved my dot acquisition.

Stumbled on the 507 ACSS and thought it was a great idea. Bought one to try out with the hope of replacing the SRO. Shot with the ACSS for several matches, dot acquisition speed didn't really improve but saw a decline in accuracy. I attributed this to the chevron reticle. I could not get used to the chevron tip as my point of aim. I've switched back to the SRO and sold the 507 ACSS. Did pick up a 407CO with the 8 moa circle reticle to try out. So far, it's a better option for me than the ACSS. I also like the 6 moa Venom but the footprint is not RMR compatible. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:42 AM

Hmm The Holosun HS507C-X2-ACSS is a new generation of pistol red dot sight packed full of features like the multiple reticle system, solar failsafe.
Old 08-25-2021, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRod85 View Post
Hmm The Holosun HS507C-X2-ACSS is a new generation of pistol red dot sight packed full of features like the multiple reticle system, solar failsafe.
The 507C ACSS does not have the Multiple Reticle System. The 507C X2 does.
Old 08-25-2021, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
I understand where you are coming from with your question, but IMO dot acquisition & speed greatly depends on your level of training. Meaning what is fast for me, may or may not be fast for you, because our training level is likely not the same. And I also think of the correction ring as something of a training wheel - Eventually your reliance on it will reduce to the point of basically not needing it anymore and at that point, I really dont think you would see a meaningful difference between them in terms of speed.
This.

If you train correctly and consistently, your dot will be visible on presentation -
everything else is personal preference. For me it's an SRO with the 5.5 MOA dot. I do have a backup CO with a Vortex Venom and the practical difference for me is negligible.
Old 08-25-2021, 9:25 AM

It’s a case of different strokes and not a clear answer of which is better. The larger window of the SRO is more forgiving in acquiring the dot, but proper presentation is still the overriding factor which comes with practice. However, I’ve found that people talking about proper presentation are usually referring to the standard draw and two-handed grip. What about off-hand shooting? What about horizontal or unconventional positions? That’s where the ACSS Vulcan reticle makes the biggest difference.

The ACSS Vulcan reticle provides a visual indication of improper presentation/alignment and helps correct unconventional shooting positions or newer red dot shooters. It provides a different advantage from a large window. The chevron reticle is always going to be debated but I think the center dot has already won the argument when you look at the low popularity of the DeltaPoint and RMR triangle reticles.

The benefit of a larger window, IMHO, is the ability to track the dot between shots. When running a plate rack, I can literally watch the dot bounce from plate to plate. It is a fantastic diagnostic tool and visual indicator for calling shots without waiting to see the target react. This will probably be the faster sight for competition.

ETA: If you shoot with co-witnessed backup irons, they can also provide the visual cues for alignment similar in function to the ACSS Vulcan.

Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 08-25-2021 at 9:31 AM..
Old 08-25-2021, 12:14 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As others have said, it's all about training and preference.
Old 08-25-2021, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdad View Post
I've run both the SR0 5 moa and the 507C ACSS in IDPA. I'm an experienced shooter but have only shot IDPA club matches for about 2 years.
Started with irons but with aging eyes, carry optics made sense. Started with 3 moa RDS with smaller windows (FastFire3 and Vortex Venom) and had difficulty in quickly acquiring the dot. Switching to the SRO 5 moa improved my dot acquisition.

Stumbled on the 507 ACSS and thought it was a great idea. Bought one to try out with the hope of replacing the SRO. Shot with the ACSS for several matches, dot acquisition speed didn't really improve but saw a decline in accuracy. I attributed this to the chevron reticle. I could not get used to the chevron tip as my point of aim. I've switched back to the SRO and sold the 507 ACSS. Did pick up a 407CO with the 8 moa circle reticle to try out. So far, it's a better option for me than the ACSS. I also like the 6 moa Venom but the footprint is not RMR compatible. Hope this helps.
This is more or less the same response I gave to the OP when he reached out to me based on a separate thread where I gave my feedback/experience between the SRO, the normal 507C, the 407, the Vulcan-ACSS, etc.

_