Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Taking gun parts to a foreign country?

Mods - feel free to move. Not sure where this should be posted.

I go down to Mexico every year to hunt ducks. I’m taking down a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad to increase the LOP. I’ve talked to the owner of the club about the difficulty of purchasing shotguns and ammo.

It got me thinking “I wonder if I can bring anything down there for him?”

I send him an email and he sends me a list of parts costing around $1,000 - firing pins, extractor, bolts handles, trigger pins, etc. for various guns, mainly berettas, Benellis and Rem versamax.

Am I allowed to take these parts down there?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The correct place to ask is your local Mexican embassy or consulate. WAY too much to lose with interweb "lawyers".

ETA...not sure moving the question to any other forum will help...calguns.net doesn't have a free legal device forum. Have you tried contacting the Mexicans directly?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

Last edited by -hanko; 11-07-2018 at 1:34 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
The correct place to ask is your local Mexican embassy or consulate. WAY too much to lose with interweb "lawyers".
This. Many gun parts are export controlled by the US. Many are not. Many are import controlled by Mexico. Many are not. Sorting out what needs which permit (in both countries) isn't simple, and any mistake could be a legal disaster. Easy answer: get help from an attorney who specialized in this area (will cost THOUSANDS of dollars). Even easier answer: don't bring anything.

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.
Old 11-07-2018, 1:47 PM
CGN Contributor

My question is why doesn't he just order the parts himself? I'd stay as far away from this as I could. Might be innocent but then again?
Old 11-07-2018, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
My question is why doesn't he just order the parts himself? I'd stay as far away from this as I could. Might be innocent but then again?
The vast majority of vendors refuse to ship weapon-related parts overseas, due to possible ITAR issues.

OP,
The rule of thumb is rather simple. Find the part online and check if it can be shipped overseas. If it can't, probably you shouldn't smuggle it either.

Last edited by riderr; 11-07-2018 at 2:50 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP could also call the local or DC offices of his U.S. Senator(s) or Representatives...most are somewhat skilled in finding the right people in a foreign legation.

There's only one gun store in the country of Mexico, and unless the Mexican citizen is "connected" to one degree or another, the process to purchase a weapon makes California's laws look like Idaho's. Not sure why the guy running the hunt can't make contact with a foreign manufacturer. E.g., Brownells can ship worldwide, but not everything.

Getting ITAR approval is a similar PITA, even to take weapons components to a long time U.S. ally. BTDT

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

Last edited by -hanko; 11-08-2018 at 7:34 AM..
Old 11-07-2018, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

The more I think about this, I start to see scenes from the tv show “locked up abroad.”

I’ll let the owner know I’m not willing to risk bringing parts over and will look for a vendor that will ship parts to him.

Thanks all
Old 11-09-2018, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

In contact with Brownells. They may be able to ship the parts down there.
Old 11-09-2018, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
The more I think about this, I start to see scenes from the tv show “locked up abroad.”

I’ll let the owner know I’m not willing to risk bringing parts over and will look for a vendor that will ship parts to him.
That's the only sane answer. It's not worth any risks to do this. He needs to go through a normal importer who does this and knows the rules and takes responsibility.

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.
Old 11-15-2018, 3:46 PM

INAL however I did work for a maquilladora. Everything brought into Mexico for a business has to go through an Importer/Exporter. If you are NOT one stay away from bringing stuff in.
Old 11-15-2018, 3:51 PM

Really really bad idea. You think corrupt Mexican cops care about the laws?? No, your just giving them a reason to empty your bank account
Old 11-15-2018, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Search the ATF site there is a list of what can be exported without a license. That is the US side next you'll need to somehow check the Mexican laws to see what can be imported.
Old 11-15-2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
That's the only sane answer. It's not worth any risks to do this. He needs to go through a normal importer who does this and knows the rules and takes responsibility.
+1 No way would I do anything like that.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:39 PM

Do not pass go do not collect 200. Go directly to jail. Think of the headlines . . . American importing gun parts to mexico. Your last name isn't Holder is it? You get legal on one side, legal on the other and a international border in the middle. Not a smart move amigo.