Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-08-2019, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Default Wyoming mini report

I just came back from Newcastle Wyoming. Weather while I was there ran from cold to warm, windy to no wind, and rain to some teensy bit of snow, to bluebird clear sky days.

I filled a mule deer buck tag and a doe antelope tag, the mule deer was nothing to brag about; a little spike buck but hunt days and access to huntable areas was difficult because of the weather. The area I was in is naturally rich in bentonite clay making some of the most slippery mud you've ever known. If it rains for more than about 24 hours in any given stretch getting around is difficult and potentially dangerous. Two of the people in my party didn't fill their tags, two did; one was with a decent 3x3. We nearly got on a very good 4x4 but he gave us the slip in the end.

My mule deer was taken at about 200 yards with a 110 grain TTSX starting at 3200 fps from a 7mm-08 rifle. I hit him in both lungs just under the spine right behind the shoulder and the bullet impacted at about 2600 fps. He did a 180 and died on the spot. He was walking left to right and I aimed for the front point of the shoulder. That particular load is about 2.5 inches high at 100, 2 inches high at 200, and 3.5 inches low at 300. For anything out to 300 yards I just put the crosshairs on the 'x' and pull the trigger. In the time it took to think about pulling the trigger to the time the bullet landed, he moved about a foot apparently (which is about what I was expecting). I was shooting into a 15 mph wind so did not compensate for that (no reason to).

My antelope was taken with the same load at about 300 yards. I hit her a little low in the chest right behind the shoulder shooting off a pair of shooting sticks from a kneeling position using terrain for cover. Wind was blowing from my 10 o'clock at 15+ mph and I guessed her range to be within 300 yards so I did not compensate for anything and put the crosshairs right on her shoulder. The bullet impacted at roughly 2300 fps took off the top of the heart and a portion of both lungs. She ran in a circle for about 40 yards and died. I was worried I had missed and/or wounded her as I lost sight of her due to terrain; but when I saw the small group she was with leaving the area one antelope short I popped up on a little mound and found her stone dead in my binoculars.

Both shots resulted in complete pass throughs, so no bullets recovered. Bullet performance was fine, though I still feel that for both shots (shots I've made in the past) my old load of a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2700 fps was a faster killer. The copper bullet does provide for less blood shot meat, and I'll be able to do something with the heart that was shot since I know it doesn't have any lead fragments in it, so it's not all bad.

I saw 5 rattle snakes on the warmest day we had (the high was in the mid 70's). The first one I stepped down about a 1.5 feet in front of it and was getting ready to take another step that would have landed on him but saw him start to move. I quickly looked behind me and took another step back. He eventually got around to coiling up and rattling before slithering back into his hole. The second one I stepped maybe 3 feet from him and my buddy was maybe 2 feet to the side of him. He started rattling immediately and while we both backed off he went back down into his hole. I'm not big on killing rattlesnakes unless there are kids, dogs, or cattle around so let them be. One of the snakes on the road met its end via shovel from one of our party members that doesn't feel the same way about rattlers as I do. The other two slunk off into the grass and weren't seen again.

I head back out in a couple of weeks or so to try and fill a couple more tags near the Cody area.
Old 10-09-2019, 4:28 AM
Veteran Member

Nice report 'Cheese. Sounds like the 7-08 performed fine enough. Glad you're heading back out there. Probably a bit cooler then? And, I feel the same way about rattlers as your buddy does. Don't like 'em. Good luck in Wy.
Old 10-09-2019, 6:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Very good, Wyoming weather, the one thing that you can be certain is that it won't ever be the same from day to day.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 10-09-2019, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Nice report 'Cheese. Sounds like the 7-08 performed fine enough. Glad you're heading back out there. Probably a bit cooler then? And, I feel the same way about rattlers as your buddy does. Don't like 'em. Good luck in Wy.
Yeah, I like that 7-08. It's the rifle I bought when I first started big-game hunting in 2010 and I still can't think of a reason to replace it. I normally go through a few different 'things' whenever I get into something chasing 'the best', but never felt that way about this rifle.

The area I'll be in a couple of weeks from now is a little higher elevation and at the base of the Absaroka Range, it'll be plenty cold by then. I used to hunt that area in early October and always saw bears, we started hunting it a little later in the year to try some different areas. Last time we were there I don't think it ever got above 35! At least the bears might be asleep by then.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Wow 5 rattlers ? Screw that
Old 10-09-2019, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

If my last 9 years of hunting in Wyoming has taught me anything it's that the weather is unpredictable and if you're not dealing with rattlers, you're dealing with grizzly bears.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 10-09-2019 at 5:29 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 3:38 PM

Cool report, and good shooting! Best of luck out there!
Old 10-09-2019, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

I'm near Alpine Wyoming right now, getting ready for the mule deer opener tomorrow. You got lucky..... It is frickin' cold here

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-09-2019, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

bbm, you're NW of Pinedale/Boulder area. You're getting into some nice country up there. Cold, I'll bet. Good luck you guys. Up dates when/if possible.
Old 10-09-2019, 4:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yea it rained on us opening day around 30, luckily we got our 4 tags filled by 9 the following morning to get out of there before the storms start hitting
Old 10-09-2019, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
bbm, you're NW of Pinedale/Boulder area. You're getting into some nice country up there. Cold, I'll bet. Good luck you guys. Up dates when/if possible.
Saw two legal bucks today....one whitetail and one mulie. Either one will die if I see one of them tomorrow.

Probably won't see any more for the duration, though.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 10-09-2019 at 5:30 PM..