Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-31-2019, 2:23 PM

Default Fire safety and evacuating ideas for rural areas

Just bought a place in the foothills in Nevada County looking to put together 2 backpacks and 1 duffle bag as grab and go bags incase of a fire. I already have my edc backpack that's pretty well outfitted but I would appreciate ideas for the 2nd pack as well as filling a large duffel. It would be my wife, myself, and our two large dogs evacuating. Maybe sharing lists or brainstorming would be helpful... Also the baofeng handheld ham radio's are the able to listen in on Calfire frequencies or any other frequencies that may give useful information? What is everyone doing to give yourself every advantage possible? Does anyone use a solar panel for their well in the event that PGE cuts power?

Last edited by ginman; 07-31-2019 at 2:29 PM..
Old 07-31-2019, 5:38 PM

Fire protection is all about prep. Cut weeds preparing wells and water storage. You should get a generator powerful enough to run your well. My generator will power my well for 48 hours nonstop. I have put sprinklers on all my buildings. If I have to evacuate I can start the generator and leave.

In my area evacuation is probably not going to happen. So I prepared to fight the fire and survive. I also have heavy equipment and a large gravity fed spring.
Old 08-01-2019, 8:06 AM

Having a decent bug out bag in case of evacuation is a good idea but have you thought about taking steps to harden your structures against fire and getting some rudimentary equipment to help you protect your structures in case evacuation is not possible or desirable?

There are many videos on rural residential wildfire safety around the home and a few threads on the forums here about the topic. As for me, I have Hardy Plank fiber cement siding, metal roof, lots of clearance around structures, no flammable decks or furniture around the outside of the house and garden hoses on every corner of the house. In the garage, I keep a small gas engine fire pump and enough 1.5 inch fire hose to reach all around the house.

A gravity fed, hydrant sits just outside the garage supplied by two, 3,000 gallon water tanks up the hill. I have multiple ways to power my well pump to keep storage tanks full. Army surplus Nomex pants and jacket, along with hard hat, gloves and Nomex hood round out the fire gear making "home-brew" self defense from fire a reasonable option.

In a wildland fire in my area, the potential to be cut off from escape is a real possibility so being able to defend my home is mandatory since there may be no where to escape to depending on circumstances.

Back to your evacuation planning, having a list of things to do and things to take with you at the time of evacuation is essential. Again, lots of other thread here to help in your planning. With fire season upon us and the acquisition of your new rural property, you are smart to start getting these issued worked out.

Last edited by twinfin; 08-01-2019 at 2:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2019, 8:51 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Having a decent bug out bag in case of evacuation is a good idea but have you thought about taking steps to harden your structures against fire and getting some rudimentary equipment to help you protect your structures in case evacuation is not possible or desirable?

There are many videos on rural residential wildfire safety around the home and a few threads on the forums here about the topic. As for me, I have Hardy Plank fiber cement siding, metal roof, lots of clearance around structures, no flammable decks or furniture around the outside of the house and garden hoses on every corner of the house. In the garage, I keep a small gas engine fire pump and enough 1.5 inch fire hose to reach all around the house.

A gravity fed, hydrant sits just outside the garage supplied by two, 3,000 gallon water tanks up the hill. I have multiple ways to power my well pump to keep storage tanks full. Army surplus Nomex pants and jacket, along with hard hat, gloves and Nomex hood round out the fire gear making "home-brew" self defense from fire a reasonable option.

In a wildland fire in my area, the potential to be cut off from escape is a real possibility so being able to defend my home is mandatory since there may be no where to escape too depending on circumstances.

Back to your evacuation planning, having a list of things to do and things to take with you at the time of evacuation is essential. Again, lots of other thread here to help in your planning. With fire season upon us and the acquisition of your new rural property, you are smart to start getting these issued worked out.
What he said. For me it took 5 years to get prepared and I still have more to do. Start preparing today. It is going to take a while to get everything in place. Every year is a new fire season and new/more preparations.
Old 08-01-2019, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll add an important caveat to the evac part of the OP's question. You need to know how many/few roads that you can use to escape. The most recent big fire that erased Paradise (search Camp fire) the roads are mostly 2 lanes and were clogged up pretty fast. Many people/vehicles were burned up with nowhere to run to. Shake n bake style.
Updated info helps to plan. Examples:
https://esrimedia.maps.arcgis.com/ap...00a7e263a7c8a1
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...,firms_modis_t
https://esrimedia.maps.arcgis.com/ap...09dab6d0003a38

The lesson here is to get out sooner than later. Don't take a stupid chance or it could get Paradise ugly. Carrying fire extinguishers in the car/truck you're driving out in is also a good idea.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 08-01-2019 at 9:10 AM.. Reason: update links
Old 08-01-2019, 11:19 AM

The previous posters have the home/property preparation well covered as it comes down to a few basic things. Remove anything that can burn and have lots of water and a way to pump it.

As to evacuation, make a list of what to pack and think irreplaceable items and things you need to survive for the next week camping or living in a hotel. Since you have dogs have a plan on what you will do with them if you have to return to work while evacuated...

Since you mentioned the radio-print out the frequincys used in your unit. "local net", command, tacs, air tac, and air-ground are all use full depending on incident size. FYI-scanning on the baofeng sucks if you put in too many frequency so keep it to 3-5 max.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The Bf radios can monitor A/B channels you select.
Mine are usually set for my local FD and SO. Another radio for friends that are near me. The can & string thing only goes so far.
Monitoring all freqs is a slow and unproductive battery sucking waste of time.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-01-2019, 7:38 PM

I have personally watched a fire jump a 1000 foot fire break. Plan accordingly.

We learned a lot from the Butte fire. You cannot have enough water and big enough fire break. We will never see the fire intensity like that again in my lifetime, there isn't the fuel load on the ground and the pine trees are gone.

Blocked 2 lane roads killed lots of people. Don't get trapped. Fire can and will out run you truck.

We have doubled our water volume with pressure from 500 gpm to over 1000 gpm. Grid power will not be available. Fuel powered pumps are the only way to go.

With the help and blessing of God we will make it thru the next big fire.
Old 08-01-2019, 9:08 PM

Thank you guys for the info so far. I have got A LONG way to go. We just moved in two months ago so my prep are nowhere near where they should be which obviously bugs me. I’ll be reading your posts a few times over and lay out short and longer term goals so that I’m as ready as I can be.
Old 09-13-2019, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

We are looking to remodel and I have a couple of friends building homes in in rural areas. I was thinking of a metal roof, cement board and some type of brick or rock for the front.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.jjsfiresupply.com/produc...ms&category=21
Old 09-13-2019, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Killer View Post
Fire protection is all about prep. Cut weeds preparing wells and water storage. You should get a generator powerful enough to run your well. My generator will power my well for 48 hours nonstop. I have put sprinklers on all my buildings. If I have to evacuate I can start the generator and leave.

In my area evacuation is probably not going to happen. So I prepared to fight the fire and survive. I also have heavy equipment and a large gravity fed spring.
Curious as to what “sprinklers on all my buildings” looks like. Can you share a picture?
Old 09-13-2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Curious as to what “sprinklers on all my buildings” looks like. Can you share a picture?
As simple as pvc and irrigation sprinklers on the ridgeline of the roof. I use a lot of 1" and just a ball valve in a irrigation box. That way it can't freeze. You just have to get everything wet. You turn everything on and walk away.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

We don't have many roads and during the last few fires they were either clogged with fire trucks, blocked by fire or jammed with fleeing folks.

If the plan is to bug out do it at the first hint of trouble. Or sooner.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

It was the smoke that was the biggest problem. Even miles away breathing was tough. Up close it will kill you.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:04 AM
CGN Contributor

Do you have respirator masks in your kit? There are even respirators for dogs if you want to spend the money.

If you have the space, consider an underground fire bunker to hunker down in until the fire passes by. You can use it as a storage larder normally.
If you get caught in a firestorm like the Paradise/Camp fire, no firebreaks, sprinklers or fire resistant building materials will protect you or family.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Do you have respirator masks in your kit? There are even respirators for dogs if you want to spend the money.

If you have the space, consider an underground fire bunker to hunker down in until the fire passes by. You can use it as a storage larder normally.
If you get caught in a firestorm like the Paradise/Camp fire, no firebreaks, sprinklers or fire resistant building materials will protect you or family.
Sadly, in some situations even a bunker won't save you unless you have an air supply. In my area if there is a fire storm almost everyone will die. We get 100 mph winds in the summer. My only hope is to be able to set a back burn and burn all the fuel on the mountian before the main fire hits it. My biggest fear is a flash over.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
We don't have many roads and during the last few fires they were either clogged with fire trucks, blocked by fire or jammed with fleeing folks.

If the plan is to bug out do it at the first hint of trouble. Or sooner.
The problem is that fires start and by the time you even know they are there you are trapped.
Old 09-13-2019, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Have them in my go bags and in the bedrooms

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-E...-/322256870086
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
We are looking to remodel and I have a couple of friends building homes in in rural areas. I was thinking of a metal roof, cement board and some type of brick or rock for the front.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.jjsfiresupply.com/produc...ms&category=21
Those kits look enticing but you usually end up with a low quality engine and not enough fire house to reach where you need to get the water to. You might be better off getting a quality Honda high pressure gas powered water pump and go someplace like FirehoseDirect.com for enough quality rubber lined hose of sufficient length for your situation.
Old 09-18-2019, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginman View Post
...Also the baofeng handheld ham radio's are the able to listen in on Calfire frequencies or any other frequencies that may give useful information?...
I looked up Nevada County and the answer is YES, you can pick up both Cal-Fire and Sheriffs on the Baofengs.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=211

These are the guys you need to reach out to: http://www.ncarc.org/ and these guys: https://nevadacountyares.org/

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 09-18-2019 at 8:04 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Those kits look enticing but you usually end up with a low quality engine and not enough fire house to reach where you need to get the water to. You might be better off getting a quality Honda high pressure gas powered water pump and go someplace like FirehoseDirect.com for enough quality rubber lined hose of sufficient length for your situation.
Good ideas - thanks
Old 09-19-2019, 7:21 AM

Something that came up over the last few fires is that vented roof/attic can draw embers into the structure and cause it to burn.
Old 09-19-2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoup View Post
Something that came up over the last few fires is that vented roof/attic can draw embers into the structure and cause it to burn.
You can cover them off with screen. I used stainless screen to keep the ambers out.
Old 09-22-2019, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

If the plan is to evacuate and it should be I’d have a full tank of gas, pile of cash, cell and computer chargers, water and some food. You generally only gotta go less than 50 miles to be safe. Cash is king when the power is out. A good map book is also nice.

If you’re the first to leave it’s a easier day. Have basic outings planned for whatever direction you gotta go. For instance local fire breaks out, leave and head opposite direction, do some errands, go shopping etc. If all clear head home. Therefore it’s not a wasted day. If things got worse while gone make it a weekend and go hit Carmel or Vegas. The most important thing is to be the first to bail.

In both the Sonoma fires and the 1989 earthquakes you only had to get a short distance to get back to a functioning infrastructure. Once your past the pinch points for traffic it’s generally smooth sailing.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 09-22-2019 at 9:42 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Killer View Post
You can cover them off with screen. I used stainless screen to keep the ambers out.
This^^^

1/8" Metal screening is the code minimum for any vented roof openings. If you want the most protection, look int "Vulcan Vent" (https://www.vulcantechnologies.com/products.php) inserts to use with existing vents, or "Brandguard" (https://www.brandguardvents.com/) for replacements vents.

On new construction, we are staring to spec closed-cell spray-foam insulation in the attic. Sprayed along the underside of the sheathing & all the way down the roof line to the top plate removes the venting requirement. This works great for stick-frame roofs (cathedral ceilings) where you would have to vent each bay @ the eave & provide a ridge vent. Way more efficient, too. Of course... all new construction requires fire sprinklers now.

Last edited by furyous68; 09-23-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 09-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Helicopter? An episode of Preppers had a guy who had one ready to evac his family.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So a local architect built a home in a canyon known for fire.

House is thick reinforced concrete, with rock and brick facia, windows all have steel fire shutters and the roof is a pool. Pumps in the creek for cooling the outside of the house with sprinklers.

Nothing to burn.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 09-24-2019, 11:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default fire moves fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginman View Post
Just bought a place in the foothills in Nevada County looking to put together 2 backpacks and 1 duffle bag as grab and go bags incase of a fire. I already have my edc backpack that's pretty well outfitted but I would appreciate ideas for the 2nd pack as well as filling a large duffel. It would be my wife, myself, and our two large dogs evacuating. Maybe sharing lists or brainstorming would be helpful... Also the baofeng handheld ham radio's are the able to listen in on Calfire frequencies or any other frequencies that may give useful information? What is everyone doing to give yourself every advantage possible? Does anyone use a solar panel for their well in the event that PGE cuts power?
Fire moves too fast to outrun on foot

I would have a clear place- cement or no weeds for a shelter.
add a nice gazebo onto the cement pad

add a few used 30-55 gallon rain barrels- they are $20 each
surround them with either cement hardibacker or pavers for a nice- flame proof look

in the event of a fire... drape canvas or burlap over the gazebo

use a pump weed sprayer to soak the cloth

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-gal-...yer-63092.html

If you can't drive out- going out on foot is too dangerous...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...1402/303001293

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)