Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-04-2020, 9:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I a target rich environment where I can choose my shot..OK...Not my first choice, but OK.

In real life in today's world, not so much.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 06-04-2020, 9:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I a target rich environment where I can choose my shot..OK...Not my first choice, but OK.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 06-04-2020, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post

Would probably work well for looters, I'll bet.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-05-2020, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd joe View Post
It won’t work. People never really hunted big game until the 6.5CM came along.
Bass ack wards
When people started trying to hunt with the 6.5cm they realized they didn’t need a real gun because with the 6.5cm they could get lucky some of the time.
Old 06-05-2020, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Bass ack wards
When people started trying to hunt with the 6.5cm they realized they didn’t need a real gun because with the 6.5cm they could get lucky some of the time.
It's funny...... the 30-06 was invented just after the turn of the previous century, and it proved to be effective on the battlefield and in the woods for most everything in North America. It has done and will do anything that needs to be done, and does it efficiently. When I was a boy, everyone's father that had a hunting rifle had one that was chambered in 30-06.For some reason, it has fallen out of favor as folks continuously search out "something better" for hunting applications.

It's what I know, it's what I use and will continue to use. Don't get me wrong...... after decades of using the old reliable 30-06, I did in fact just recently succumb to the allure of the shiny new fair-haired boy. Yup - I bought a 6.5CM just to see what was what. I bought it, I tinkered with it, I got it to shoot to my satisfaction. I will be taking it hunting this fall for Mule Deer and antelope. But you know what? The trusty 30-06 will be by my side, and I have yet to decide whether I'll take the field with something new and unfamiliar, or continue to dance the dance with the same girl I've always danced with.

Full circle now - the 30-30 carbine has a long and distinguished history of putting meat on the table in the eastern woods and in the scrub/brush regions of America. There is no disputing that. But, as so many posters have alluded to, it has very real and defined limits that must be adhered to..... ranges, game presentation, and above all the discipline to recognize and pass on any opportunity that appears in the least bit marginal.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-05-2020, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
It's funny...... the 30-06 was invented just after the turn of the previous century, and it proved to be effective on the battlefield and in the woods for most everything in North America. It has done and will do anything that needs to be done, and does it efficiently. When I was a boy, everyone's father that had a hunting rifle had one that was chambered in 30-06.For some reason, it has fallen out of favor as folks continuously search out "something better" for hunting applications.

It's what I know, it's what I use and will continue to use. Don't get me wrong...... after decades of using the old reliable 30-06, I did in fact just recently succumb to the allure of the shiny new fair-haired boy. Yup - I bought a 6.5CM just to see what was what. I bought it, I tinkered with it, I got it to shoot to my satisfaction. I will be taking it hunting this fall for Mule Deer and antelope. But you know what? The trusty 30-06 will be by my side, and I have yet to decide whether I'll take the field with something new and unfamiliar, or continue to dance the dance with the same girl I've always danced with.

Full circle now - the 30-30 carbine has a long and distinguished history of putting meat on the table in the eastern woods and in the scrub/brush regions of America. There is no disputing that. But, as so many posters have alluded to, it has very real and defined limits that must be adhered to..... ranges, game presentation, and above all the discipline to recognize and pass on any opportunity that appears in the least bit marginal.
I shot the Winchester 30-06 in the 80’s, 90’s. 2001 I went to the Weatherby 30-378 and the 300 win. I’m still shooting the 300win with a 338-378 waiting for a scope.

Last year I gifted my 30-06 to my oldest son for an Elk hunt. I am now purchasing another 30-06 to fill the hole(Weatherby Vanguard First Lite).
I need it for a light shooting hunting rifle I can loan out to my daughter also for training my friend and his young son how to shoot a high power rifle. 30-06 is perfect for a light recoil with real power.

I could of bought a cool new caliber but I love the 30-06 for too many reasons not to have one.