Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-15-2019, 1:19 AM

Default First gun! Idk what to do.

Hi guys, Iím sophomore!

Now with introductions aside, I have a questions and needs some suggestions!

Iím a first time gun owner and I acquired a Gen4 G19c from a good friend of mine. Iíve added a set of GL01, TLR-1, Magwell, basically making it my home defense handgun.

After browsing the Classifieds I notice that most people only put either 0 rounds up to 1,000 rounds through their gun... is this the norm? Is this to keep the value of the gun?

Iíve already gotten through 1,500 plus rounds through this gun in 4 sessions at Target Masters. Itís awfully hard to believe that people purchase a gun to simply use it as a paperweight.

Of course, I know the value of an off roster is higher then a normal firearm, to help prevent devaluing the Gen4, should I purchase a Regular gen3 G19 to practice with and keep the Gen4 as a paperweight?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 04-15-2019, 1:42 AM

shoot the heck out of it, learn, practice buy another
Old 04-15-2019, 1:52 AM
Veteran Member

Gen 4's aren't particularly valuable. Gen 4 G19's are $600-700 here all the time. Just shoot the heck out of it. Can't imagine a discussion would be had re: keeping up the value of a Glock. It's a Glock.
Old 04-15-2019, 2:35 AM
Veteran Member

The reason people put 0-1000 rounds through their gun isn't because they're trying to maintain value - it's likely because they have so many guns that they don't shoot a lot of them all that often.

As your first gun, learn it inside and out, and practice practice practice. Glock is a good choice as they are so ubiquitous that parts, accessories, upgrades, Glock armorers, and the like are readily available.
Old 04-15-2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
The reason people put 0-1000 rounds through their gun isn't because they're trying to maintain value - it's likely because they have so many guns that they don't shoot a lot of them all that often.
Or thatís just what people say to make the sale. Kinda like how every scratch on a motorcycle happened in a driveway tip over.
Old 04-15-2019, 3:25 AM

I have some handguns I have only put 1K rounds through, and it is for the reason stated above(I have many handguns).
My first handgun though, I have probably put 7-8K rounds through.
Old 04-15-2019, 5:17 AM
Calguns Addict

The only valuable Glock is a G7, but those are illegal now. The rest of them can be shot indefinitely.
Old 04-15-2019, 5:22 AM

Most on Calguns probably have multiple guns to shoot. We also like the experience of shooting the latest and greatest. Then after a few rounds you sell it to maybe buy something else.
Old 04-15-2019, 5:46 AM

Hi Sophomore,
Congratulations on being a gun owner and shooter.
I have guns that I shoot only a few hundreds rounds or zero.
As I grew older there was less time to shoot. Wife, kids, jobs, other hobbies....
But I still continued to buy guns of interest to me. Browning hi power, HK USP, Colt Python, 1911s ......
So some guns are shot a few times only. Some day I will have to sell off a few to make room for more.
As you shoot and read more, you will discover the limitations of any one gun.
Desire for a short clean trigger break lead me to hi power and 1911s.
For lighter carry, polymer guns.
Striker fire guns.
Revolvers

So what is next for you?
Old 04-15-2019, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

It’s just a Glock dude. Shoot the hell out of it.
Old 04-15-2019, 6:23 AM
Calguns Addict

If your first gun valued at $5,000, then maybe you should buy a Glock Gen 3 as an alternative for SD, otherwise shoot it.
Old 04-15-2019, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get some lessons from a qualified instructor if you want to use it for SD...

Shoot, shoot some more, clean it, shoot....repeat.

Congrats OP...guns are like tools...use or look at emí...up to you.
Old 04-15-2019, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

Shoot the hell out of it as others have stated.

I have a G19 Gen4 FDE with about just under 2000 rounds down the pipe. It would have been higher but with other pistols I shoot it doesn't hog all my ammo.

As your first handgun, become proficient in it. As others have stated-Its a Glock!

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 04-15-2019, 7:18 AM

Nothing wrong with getting a Gen 3 (2 guns are better than 1, 3 better than 2 and so on). But hey shoot what you have. You will not de-value the Gen 4 by shooting it a bunch. Welcome to the club. Be safe and have fun. Follow the gun safety rules and the laws of our state (even if some are crap) and enjoy. If you have questions feel free to ask.
Old 04-15-2019, 7:24 AM

Are you familiar with the phrase "drive it like you stole it"

That's how you run a Glock. Clean it after use since it is your primary defense weapon but shoot it as much as you want. Maybe put a new recoil spring in after 5,000 rounds but that's about it. You cannot wear out a Glock.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-15-2019, 7:30 AM

I have a Gen 3 Glock 17 that is about a year old. I've run 5800 rounds through it. It still functions perfectly, but I will change out the recoil spring soon. Since my 17 is also my HD gun, I keep it clean and lubed.

I also have a Ruger Single Six that I bought in February. I've run just over 1K rounds through it.

The point is: I shoot the heck out of them!

Welcome to CalGuns!

Join the fight for our 2A Rights! Join the NRA and/or CRPA if you have not already done so.
-P

Last edited by Preston-CLB; 04-15-2019 at 7:35 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Default First gun! Idk what to do.

You would spend way way way more in ammunition costs to wear your gen 4 down to the point of devaluing it to next to nothing. Even shot tens of thousands of rounds itíll have some resale value as they are easily and infinitely rebuildable so long as the frame remains undamaged. Glocks are in no way collectable firearms, unless itís gen 1 guns complete and mint. They are the absolute definition of ďtoolĒ firearms. Even with the whole off roster cluster, say you managed to wear it out and itís only worth 3-400$ in ca off roster scam, how much did you spend on 9mm ammo to get it there? Itís a honda civic, drive the crap out of it. Donít sweat wear marks. Keep it maintained. Enjoy it for what it is. If you want a gun to stare at and appreciate and not shoot, pick up a mint in box python.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
... I’m a first time gun owner and I acquired a Gen4 G19c from a good friend of mine. I’ve added a set of GL01, TLR-1, Magwell, basically making it my home defense handgun.

I’ve already gotten through 1,500 plus rounds through this gun in 4 sessions at Target Masters.
You are off to a great start. I prefer the Gen 3 myself but a G19C is on my want list after a G32C.

You got 1500 rounds down range so I am guessing you are mastering the Glock trigger. You have already completed the "1000 Round Trigger Job" which I believe the best way to master "Glock Perfection".

P.S. http://id.glock.com/
Is a nice website for Glock Owners.
Old 04-15-2019, 7:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Some folks that don’t shoot much rounds through the gun usually have other guns they like to shoot. Some folks buy guns as they can’t controy the monkey on their back.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-15-2019, 7:46 AM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283į N, 118.5358į W), (33.6700į N, 117.7800į W)

Quote:
Hi guys, Iím sophomore!

Now with introductions aside, I have a questions and needs some suggestions!

Iím a first time gun owner and I acquired a Gen4 G19c from a good friend of mine. Iíve added a set of GL01, TLR-1, Magwell, basically making it my home defense handgun.

After browsing the Classifieds I notice that most people only put either 0 rounds up to 1,000 rounds through their gun... is this the norm? Is this to keep the value of the gun?

Iíve already gotten through 1,500 plus rounds through this gun in 4 sessions at Target Masters. Itís awfully hard to believe that people purchase a gun to simply use it as a paperweight.

Of course, I know the value of an off roster is higher then a normal firearm, to help prevent devaluing the Gen4, should I purchase a Regular gen3 G19 to practice with and keep the Gen4 as a paperweight?

Thanks in Advance!
Who cares if it's considered normal or not? Do you wanna be a great shooter? Practice!!!
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-15-2019, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

When buying a new to me firearm I completely disregard any claims of round count. I can tell the difference between holster wear and actual shooting wear.

The only people that I'd seriously consider believing are the long range competition crowd. Range data book, log book etc.. They tend to be very anal about that stuff, so...

Consider all else BS.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-15-2019, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just for reference, 0-1000 in a Glock is similar to 10 miles of driving in a Honda Civic. ie; you aren't even using it.

I recommend to you to keep on shooting it. Never mind "value" and round count.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 04-15-2019, 9:53 AM

Come back after you've fired 10k rounds through it.

There are Glock owners with 25-50k rounds through theirs. Chuck Taylor has over 350,000 rounds through his Gen 1.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Hi Sophomore,
Welcome to the club. My first hand gun was a gen 3 G19. My son now has it and I have a handful of Gen 4 Glocks. I bought a Glock because they were supposed to be decent for the price. A stayed with them because they are great shooters, have lots of aftermarket support, easy to maintain, and are work guns. I have started collecting others that I do not shoot often. My Glocks get used and sometimes abused and they keep working.

My G17 and G29 have at least 10,000 rounds through them. When I do a range trip, I easily shoot 500 rounds and I try to go twice month. My G42 probably has 5,000 rounds through it.

The so-called extra value for Gen 4 is just a CA thing due to the roster. As more Gen 4 make there way into the state and they become more available, their prices drop.

Two months ago I picked up a Gen 4 G19 for $550. In two range trips I likely put more ammo through it than the person I bought it from. It still had the original copper grease from Glock on the slide.

The best thing you can do is shoot it and shoot it some more. Also take a few classes.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Congrats on your first handgun. Shoot the heck out of it and don’t worry about keeping round count on it. No one buys a Glock as a “financial investment”.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Keep an eye on the magwell. They all don’t work 100%. Sometimes factory is best for Glock and HD.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 AM

modern polymer guns dont retain their value, they will never be "Heirloom pieces" like your grandpa's M1911

enjoy it while you still can
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Life is too short enjoy your guns shoot them all. I do.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Guns are made for shooting like cars are made for driving. Anyone not doing either is doing it wrong. If you want something nice to look at go buy a painting.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
This.

My first has probably 5-8k through it. All my others are under 2k easily.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Shoot it. I think most people don’t have that kinda time / money. But have at it.

I’ve never worn the spring out on a gun, But I seem to remember hearing that we needed to change the spring on our duty glock 17’s we carried every 3k rounds or so. But that’s been 20 years ago. Might be worth asking a Glock armorer.
Old 04-15-2019, 5:41 PM

Default Your GLOCK will outlive you.

OP, I see you're a shooter not a collector.

Shooters shoot better than collectors. Collectors will just leave more stuff when the die.

Enjoy shooting your GLOCK!
Old 04-15-2019, 6:23 PM

As others have said, just shoot it and have fun. It will never be a Collectorís item. Glocks are just solid dependable pistols that you canít kill. I have a Gen 2 21 that I bought new. It has somewhere around 25,000 rounds through it. Other than spring replacements and a decent set of sights, it is bone stock and still going strong. Enjoy your pistol.
Old 04-15-2019, 6:26 PM

Shoot it, have fun, buy more when you can.
Old 04-15-2019, 6:37 PM

A lot of people buy a gun they think they'll like knowing they can sell it for not too much less than the cost they bought it for. So a lot of people put 500 rounds or so through it, decide they don't like it, and sell it. I'm guilty of doing it.

Some people just like collecting guns and shooting them sparingly, and buy and sell as their tastes change.

Some people purposefully low-ball to make their gun seem newer. I think it's reinforced by the fact that if you don't post round count people will message you asking about it. But those people probably won't buy it anyway no matter what you say.
Old 04-15-2019, 8:56 PM

Don't worry about round count, a Glock 19 will go thousands of rounds before any issue. Watch this video, it's pretty crazy: https://youtu.be/ub4OswUhLwo
Old 04-15-2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
There's nothing collectable about your Glock. Plenty of folks regularly shoot FAAAAAAR more valuable guns, and have a ton of fun doing it.

If the gun was mine, I'd run it hard, shoot it a lot, and STILL expect it to last tens of thousands of rounds.
Old 04-15-2019, 9:39 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:

After browsing the Classifieds I notice that most people only put either 0 rounds up to 1,000 rounds through their gun... is this the norm?
Some people have many, even hundreds of guns. So yes, for some people it is very much the norm that some or most of their guns get little to no use. Sort of like the guy who collects stamps but never uses them to send a letter.

Welcome to Calguns!

ORDER YOUR MAGAPALOOZA WEEK T-SHIRT HERE:
https://www.customink.com/g/dyj0-00bt-bt3r

** I WILL PERSONALLY DONATE $5 TO CPRA FOR EVERY SHIRT THAT IS
SHIPPED (UP TO 20 SHIRTS), IN ADDITION TO ANY EXCESS FUNDS COLLECTED.

**I make nothing on these shirts. All money paid goes to the shirt company. Any excess
collected will be returned to me and also donated to CPRA.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 PM

Guns in the classified section have low round counts because we tend to sell the guns we aren't using much. Guns with high round counts typically aren't for sale because the owner wants to keep them.
Old 04-16-2019, 8:53 AM

All things considered, by the time you get any serious amounts of rounds through your Glock, you will have purchased another firearm.

Back in 2008 I purchased a Gen3 G23 and a conversion barrel with the thoughts that this would be the "only handgun I will ever buy".

I now have 5 handguns.......and have my eye on a sixth.