Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-13-2019, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Norinco 56s

I have a Norinco 56s and know nothing about them - it resides in OR so whether it's CA legal or not doesn't matter. Doubt it will ever see CA as I'm about 2 yrs from retirement and hope that's sufficient time to enjoy the thing before OR gets more difficult. In +50 years of shooting I've never had an interest in AKs, except avoiding them, and have never fired one outside the military.

This listing on GB isn't mine, but it is the same:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797229533

I have the manual and original mag, plastic oiler and a few other odds & ends. I'm told the factory that manufactured it is designated by the number "66" in a triangle and that has some sort of importance?

My price point knowledge of AKs is that they should all cost about $400.00. What makes this so different? I see other AKs of the same make with higher asking price, operative word being "asking" but not sold.

Last edited by dfletcher; 04-13-2019 at 5:52 PM..
Old 04-13-2019, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

AK pattern rifles are a lot of fun to shoot. The variation you have is one of the best, in my opinion, and is very collectible. They are banned by name in CA. As an aside, the days of $400 AK type rifles are sadly long gone.
Old 04-13-2019, 5:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Norincos (pre ban) have been commanding a price larger than life these days
If it has its bayonet lug intact, box, and (3) magazines, people are paying 1500-2500 for them

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 04-13-2019, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Why do you think all AKs should cost $400? Presumably you bought this quite a few years ago, so why do you think the price should remain constant? I certainly hope you aren't making the same $$ as you were in 1999.
Old 04-13-2019, 5:20 PM

there’s one for sale on AK files for $2000
Old 04-13-2019, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Why do you think all AKs should cost $400? Presumably you bought this quite a few years ago, so why do you think the price should remain constant? I certainly hope you aren't making the same $$ as you were in 1999.
I didn't buy it years ago, and my all AKs "should cost $400.00" was a bit flippant - I guess reflecting the economics of the countries of origin and that while sturdy and functional they're not exactly finely crafted works of art. And my age, maybe -
Old 04-13-2019, 6:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
Norincos (pre ban) have been commanding a price larger than life these days
If it has its bayonet lug intact, box, and (3) magazines, people are paying 1500-2500 for them
There is a lug for a knife type bayonet, similar as found on an AR front sight base. Has a metal cleaning rod that I can't figure out how the hell to get out. Seems like the top should bend out a bit then lift, but no go. I have two 30 rounders for it, no 3rd.

I tend to leave "as is" any guns that may have some collector value in original condition. If what I'm reading is accurate this is a well made AK, but gets much of its value from being banned (in USA) a few years back. So I'd tend to leave it as is.

Last edited by dfletcher; 04-13-2019 at 10:56 PM..
Old 04-13-2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I didn't buy it years ago, and my all AKs "should cost $400.00" was a bit flippant - I guess reflecting the economics of the countries of origin and that while sturdy and functional they're not exactly finely crafted works of art. And my age, maybe -
Every AK is a work of art. The Norinco type 56 is a beautiful gun and was the first gun I ever shot in my life at around 13 years old I would love to have one. Hold on to it seems like they are going to keep rising in price.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 PM
retired Goon

In "Free America", all of the pre-'89 sporting purpose import banned Chinese (Norinco, Polytech) AKs (Type 56, AKS, AKMS, etc) typically sell in the $1500-2500 range depending on condition and accessories.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-15-2019, 6:11 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, the days of $400 AK's are loooong gone. I recently sold one of mine for $4000 and probably sold it a little cheap at that. The cheapest new AK (WASR) is going for $550-600. Heck even the Century junk is selling for that much.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
In "Free America", all of the pre-'89 sporting purpose import banned Chinese (Norinco, Polytech) AKs (Type 56, AKS, AKMS, etc) typically sell in the $1500-2500 range depending on condition and accessories.
Looks like I'm missing the box, one mag and the knife type bayonet. The bayonets are available on eBay. Seems like a pretty well made AK. Interesting trigger pull on the thing. Fairly light and clean but a long single stage pull. Kind of catches me by surprise when it releases.

I'm trying to find an import or DOM. Importer is Sile and the serial number is 6009XX if that helps anyone track it down.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sile N.Y N.Y. was the distributor.
Slightly infamous for an event that happened in Stockton.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376