Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-05-2019, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Default Recommendations for a used Smartphone with a good Camera

I'm looking for a used Smartphone with a good Camera, MicroSD capability, and good battery capacity to use with a Digiscoping adapter to film video through a Spotting Scope. Would like to keep cost under $200 as this will probably be the only use for the phone.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 05-06-2019, 3:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Default NIB

I can't speak to your specific purpose, but LG V20 (2 gens behind?): SD card, USB-C (seems to work with everything USB-C), swappable batt, 16MP, ~$123:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...c&LH_PrefLoc=1

I'd probably get the version for your provider, that way if you break your phone you can also use this as a backup w/ a quick SIM-SWAP(, or VZW/Sprint call 611 to do the swap?) for full-speed data if the need arises, just in case.

Last edited by the86d; 05-07-2019 at 3:00 AM..
Old 05-06-2019, 3:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Any samsung...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-06-2019, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Does this sound like a decent deal? Been looking on CL but I'm kind of leery of buying a used phone from some random person with the only guarantee being "Yeah, it works fine".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-G...-AT-T/46728046
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by WartHog; 05-06-2019 at 5:40 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 PM

a little above budget, and no microSD, but brand new and 128gb capacity...1st gen pixel XL. camera is quite good for a smartphone. (i have one of these, and a pixel 2) (here)

alternately, i can't say about the camera quality, but microSD compatible, and brand new Moto g6 for $99, plus another $20 to set up a google fi account for a month (then cancel it). (here)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM

You want an LG G6? Dont use it anymore and still have the box.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

iPhone SE?

Old 05-09-2019, 12:51 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

From what I've seen out there amongst all the folks is Samsung has the best camera's for picture quality.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 05-09-2019, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokieBear View Post
You want an LG G6? Dont use it anymore and still have the box.
Wow! - PM inbound
Quote:
Old 05-12-2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
I'm looking for a used Smartphone with a good Camera, MicroSD capability, and good battery capacity to use with a Digiscoping adapter to film video through a Spotting Scope. Would like to keep cost under $200 as this will probably be the only use for the phone.
I'm going to be selling mine and my wife's old Galaxy S7 edge phones once I replace the screens, since they're both cracked. I just got the replacement screens in the mail so I'm planning to do that this week. Let me know if interested and you haven't found a phone yet. The camera on the Galaxy is second to none, as far as cell phones go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 7:54 AM

Motorola moto x4
$149 brand new at bestbuy

usb-C, good camera, unlocked so no bloatware...
Old 05-14-2019, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the suggestions - going to look at a pristine Galaxy S7 that works on my current carrier, AT&T. If it checks out, for $150 I'll have a phone that takes great photos/videos and that will replace my ancient crappy Windows Phone.
Quote: