Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Well, let's break this down, how many fires could one start with a full-sized Bic, vs a USB ARC lighter?

An ARC lighter has a lithium battery, which might be good for say 1.5 years max, if sitting idle with a Lithium Polymer, from a fresh charge?

With the draw on the battery required to create that ARC, a little research says that "A full charge can last up to a week or 100-300 uses", however with the small capacity of probably <700Mah, I assume it would be less than that...

My money is on a $1.19-$2 lighter that works every time and can be stored, if never used, for YEARS, not some gimmick that would not work after being stored for 1.5 years MAX, if not less than that for $13-$30+. If you have never owned any sealed Lithium Ion/Polymer devices, the battery wears out rather quickly with normal use (or not even with use), and has to be replaced, and for these, I am not sure I want to do the solder-work, nor do I know if they can actually be taken apart to do so.
The correct Lithium Polymer batteries that fit... can be also hard to source, and there are generally 3.6v and 3.7v variants that have to match the charge controller on the internal board, unless they are integrally-protected on the battery side, but I am not sure how that works.

If you like $13-$30+ devices that I assume might probably have a 50% failure rate at the 2-6 month mark, more power to you, but and use it regularly, don't drain it empty before the next charge, ever for longevity, and prove me wrong...

Another problem is that 96% of people w/iPhones I deal with, generally don't have anything but a Lightning cable, and I assume 99.9999% of these would take MiniUSB, MicroUSB. or if they are fancy, a USB-C to charge.
In my experience, iPhone users ALWAYS forget cables or anything but the iPhone.
Good to be rarity among iPhone users
I do have a decent assortment of USB micro cables in various places. They are just lot more common outside iEcosystem: various lights, 2 way radios, readers, you name it.. More and more I think, some sort of solar charger and USB cables must be included in the pack.

As for another fire starting option, how about magnifying glass? We are in CA, no?
Old 10-16-2020, 2:59 PM

kabar bk7, katadyn water filter, backpacking mess kit, small first aid kit, handheld ham radio, multi tool, paracord, compact binoculars, 2 forms of fire starters, gransfors bruks hatchet.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:18 PM

1) My overland built Tacoma (does all the gear with it count as part of the truck or do I have to get rid of the tent, awning, water/gas jugs, recovery gear, lights, solar kit to recharge the battery, power inverter to charge phones, laptop, rechargeable flashlights, 2 first aid kit, map of california, 192 piece mechanics tool set, dewalt 16 inch electric chain saw with 2 extra chains, Shovel, Axe)

2) the family

3) bug out bags for my family

4) as much food and water as we can load on my tacoma.

ideally we would not leave since the home is barricaded, and secured. we have enough stock for a year with the family of 4 plus 2. we would only leave if it got really bad like break down in government or zombies.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Add a Life straw.
Old 11-26-2020, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Uhhh The RIGHT place to go to. Seriously !

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 11-26-2020 at 6:23 PM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 11-27-2020, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Uhhh The RIGHT place to go to. Seriously !

Psalm 1
My opinion is that you should have, at least, THREE possible destinations to bug out to; whether your plan is to 'bug-in' or not.

If you buy into the thought that all (or most) of what you'd include in your list of things to take should serve multiple purposes, then so too should you have multiple options in terms of places to go. Personally, I'd think of multiple routes "out" and go from there in terms of selecting potential destinations. It doesn't matter if you have a bunker with 5 years of supply and hardened against near misses by 10 megaton nuclear bombs if you can't get to it. Likewise, heading to the mountains in December or January and trying to 'live off the land' may not be your 'best' option at the moment the flag goes up.

By the way, those destinations and how you're gonna get to 'em can have an influence on the selection of items you choose to take.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
I'll hike down to Baja if I can't stay in San Diego.
Hike down to Baja? LOL!
That's about 225 miles of the most desolate nothing on earth.
Attachment 959444
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams

Last edited by Full Clip; 09-20-2022 at 2:17 PM..