Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-27-2018, 5:24 PM

I've recently bought and gotten a delivery at home from Outdoor Limited and they were great and even made an order change for me last minute. Very fast order processing and shipping as well via FedEx. They have a very clean and easy to use "upload the docs" portal which is great as well.

Part of me is actually okay with them shipping to willing LGS's as well, as most are only charging a tiny fee and at least you don't have to worry about the package sitting on your porch or being around to sign for it.

Last edited by Keyser-Soze; 03-27-2018 at 5:27 PM..
Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 PM

I am pissed at SGAmmo. I was a Loyal customer and I spent a lot of money there. Sam's competition will love the extra money. We should send him our receipts. I don't believe him that CA is such a small portion of his sales.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

After literally four years, SGAmmo just sent me a notification that a particular round of sotgun ammo is finally back in stock.

I emailed them and asked if I could somehow order a couple of cases, pointing out how much of it I had bought in the past and how it took forever for them to get it back in stock.

And I got a copied and pasted response back about no sales to California.

*sigh*

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblack1234 View Post
I am pissed at SGAmmo. I was a Loyal customer and I spent a lot of money there. Sam's competition will love the extra money. We should send him our receipts. I don't believe him that CA is such a small portion of his sales.
Well, let's give him some time. Perhaps down the road, everyone is still adapting to things and perhaps it was too much at once for now, and overall they were always great so I'm willing to be patient and see if we can arrange something that works for them later.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Well, let's give him some time. Perhaps down the road, everyone is still adapting to things and perhaps it was too much at once for now, and overall they were always great so I'm willing to be patient and see if we can arrange something that works for them later.
Yes indeed, the plan is to stop bugging SGAMMO. We wait. We coordinate a lot of orders a few months from now, along with a proposal that he only deals with 03+COE and forgets trying to arrange shipments to 01 FFLs for non-licensee customers. We make it hard for him to say no.

But we have to stop bothering him with one off requests for the time being. We need the wound to scab over, not keep poking it when it is raw.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 03-28-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Old 03-29-2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Yes indeed, the plan is to stop bugging SGAMMO. We wait. We coordinate a lot of orders a few months from now, along with a proposal that he only deals with 03+COE and forgets trying to arrange shipments to 01 FFLs for non-licensee customers. We make it hard for him to say no.

But we have to stop bothering him with one off requests for the time being. We need the wound to scab over, not keep poking it when it is raw.
I am down with this, I can definitely understand his dilemma.
Old 03-29-2018, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

I agree with this, I have hope we just need to chill and give him time to figure out the best way to deal with.
Old 03-29-2018, 8:22 AM

Just sent my FFL03, COE and ID to Outdoor Limited and immediately got the go ahead to order, which I did. Easy Peasy!
Old 03-29-2018, 8:27 AM

Def gonna check put outdoor limited since the ammo I want is never in stock at Targetsportsusa
Old 03-29-2018, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Just ordered some ammo from AIM Suplus and Simpson LTD and provided my COE + 03 FFL and they were fine with shipping to me on the address on my 03 FFL. Easy peasy.

Disappointed about SG Ammo. Used to be a great go-to place for ammo, but hopefully he'll change his mind in a few months. I am highly skeptical with his claim that CA orders were only 1% of his sales.
Old 03-29-2018, 8:40 PM

Mods, can we make this a sticky ?
Old 03-29-2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Just ordered some ammo from AIM Suplus and Simpson LTD and provided my COE + 03 FFL and they were fine with shipping to me on the address on my 03 FFL. Easy peasy.

Disappointed about SG Ammo. Used to be a great go-to place for ammo, but hopefully he'll change his mind in a few months. I am highly skeptical with his claim that CA orders were only 1% of his sales.
Simpson LTD is not yet on the list. SO if I read your post correctly I should add them with a link to your post - correct?
Old 04-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil conrad View Post
Mods, can we make this a sticky ?
I second the request to sticky this post. It is a truly helpful thread for us as well as retailers since it will help reduce emails asking if they will ship to coe/FFL customers.

Maybe it should be considered to sticky this in the c&r section as well.

Last edited by userformerlyknownasfitty; 04-01-2018 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: To add something
Old 04-04-2018, 10:23 PM

Tagged
Old 04-05-2018, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Placed my first TSA order. Whoop Whoop!
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

I know Buds gun shop is on the gtg list but has anyone else uploaded their 03FFL & COE to them? So I sent two FFL inquiries and had to upload them seperately. Now just wait for an approval response before I complete my ammo order?
Old 04-09-2018, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

AIM surplus has been wonderful in this regard. I very much apprecite their customer service, as well. They just returned a gun with a broken safety, which not all companies will do on a surplus weapon.

I was going to bother SGA, so I am glad I checked back in on this thread.
Good idea to let folks think about it a while and see their competition do it.

In the mean time, let's build the list!

+1 on making this a sticky.
Old 04-10-2018, 2:14 PM

AIM Surplus told me if ammo is located at their #2 warehouse, they will not ship to CA. Everything else is okay.

A note from Palmetto State Armor
"You will need to submit a copy of this FFL with EACH ammo order as we do not have a database of these types of FFLs."
Old 04-12-2018, 7:11 AM

I'm wondering if anybody has successfully ordered ammo from Bud's. I've provided them with my FFL03 + COE and they say that it is now linked to my account. I've been directed to place my order without specifying an FFL and they will be able to see from my address that it is ok to ship.

The problem is that I cannot see how to progress beyond the "select an FFL" step in their check-out process. I pointed this out to customer service and asked for instruction to get past it but I've received no response.
Old 04-12-2018, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrambaud View Post
I'm wondering if anybody has successfully ordered ammo from Bud's. I've provided them with my FFL03 + COE and they say that it is now linked to my account. I've been directed to place my order without specifying an FFL and they will be able to see from my address that it is ok to ship.

The problem is that I cannot see how to progress beyond the "select an FFL" step in their check-out process. I pointed this out to customer service and asked for instruction to get past it but I've received no response.
If they responded to you that your documents are linked to your account then they’re pretty much telling you your gtg with ammo purchases. I do see that there is no selection for you to choose in FFL selection part of the checkout process which they should add just a generic 03FFL selection.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I removed myself from the SG Ammo email list. When you do this, they ask you why. Maybe if they see a bunch of people leaving, it will help them to reconsider. I had been a loyal customer and spent thousands of dollars over the last few years. I know the law is a pain, but cutting people off like that, especially a long time customer that has a 03 ffl and coe on file with them is no way to treat a loyal established customer.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 04-19-2018, 5:51 PM

Default California "FFL 03 Friendly" Ammunition Dealers starting 1/1/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
If they responded to you that your documents are linked to your account then they’re pretty much telling you your gtg with ammo purchases. I do see that there is no selection for you to choose in FFL selection part of the checkout process which they should add just a generic 03FFL selection.

Buds isn’t shipping to 03FFL. They should be removed from the list. I emailed them and they said they’re not currently doing so because they do not have the ability to vet the license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Montano310; 04-19-2018 at 5:54 PM..
Old 04-19-2018, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano310 View Post
Buds isn’t shipping to 03FFL. They should be removed from the list. I emailed them and they said they’re not currently doing so because they do not have the ability to vet the license.

I gave up and bought from Target Sports since they already have my documents uploaded.
Old 04-20-2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
I gave up and bought from Target Sports since they already have my documents uploaded.

I just placed my first order with them. But they still made me choose an FFL during checkout. Was this the case with you?

Old 04-20-2018, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
AIM Surplus told me if ammo is located at their #2 warehouse, they will not ship to CA. Everything else is okay.

A note from Palmetto State Armor
"You will need to submit a copy of this FFL with EACH ammo order as we do not have a database of these types of FFLs."
Geez, how hard would it be for them to setup a database? I mean a high schooler could do it for $50.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The real question here is ... if we start buying from our LGS, would prices go down locally? It's hard to beat internet sales, sure and the sales tax thing. But rather than pay a fee to the LGS, why not buy some of their (usually overpriced) ammo? I just hope the CA DOJ can get their act together so (if they are willing) Walmart can sell their decently priced ammo again.

Or if the DOJ really can't get things working, someone needs to sue them for that.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
The real question here is ... if we start buying from our LGS, would prices go down locally? It's hard to beat internet sales, sure and the sales tax thing. But rather than pay a fee to the LGS, why not buy some of their (usually overpriced) ammo? I just hope the CA DOJ can get their act together so (if they are willing) Walmart can sell their decently priced ammo again.

Or if the DOJ really can't get things working, someone needs to sue them for that.

I can’t speak for your lgs but the 2 local to me already had insane prices before this, purchasing locally just isn’t a viable (cost wise) option for some / many. On the flip side one lgs did say that they would accept ammo shipped to them for a $5 fee and storage if not picked up within 24 hours - since I can only get to them on a Saturday I’d end up paying storage fees as well but I’m considering going that route and investigating what the end price will be going with them until I set up reloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I'll remove Bud's from the list.

Looks like we are going the wrong direction here. My last two edits to the list have been to remove SGAmmo and Buds.
Old 04-20-2018, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. I now have my recently-acquired FFL 03 and COE on file with Brownells, Target Sports, and Bone Frog Gun Club. All three places were more than accommodating and made the process amazingly easy for me. I received my first order today (2,000 rounds), and I have two more orders en route. It’s too bad about SG Ammo — that used to be my primary source for ammo. But life goes on, and right now life is good for this California gun owner!

Old 04-21-2018, 2:59 PM

Default Surplusammo.com Is Now In

Just checked the Surplusammo.com site and they are now taking the FFL03 + COE from California so please add them to the list.

From their site:

Instructions for CALIFORNIA Ammunition Sales (as of 1/1/18):
•ALL AMMO SALES need to ship to a CA FFL or the new CA Ammo license. We have as of 02/07/18 received several CA FFL's (gun shop, pawn shop that deals in firearms or other business that deals in firearms and will have the federal firearms license "FFL") and a few of the new CA Ammunition Vendor's Licenses for CA ammo orders.
•We only need a copy of your local dealer's FFL or CA-Ammo license once for our files, any future ammo orders just need mention the license is already on file and we'll ship your order almost as quick as we used to (after checking the license IS on file and still current).
•We CAN and do now ship to 03 FFL's with a California C.O.E. (Certificate of Eligibility). Again, send us a current copy of each and once on file, future orders only need mention the documents are already on file.
•Basically, it is harder now, but we plan to ship as much ammo into your state as we can. So please bear with us, like the rest of CA we're still learning what we all have to do going forth.
Old 04-21-2018, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
•Basically, it is harder now, but we plan to ship as much ammo into your state as we can. So please bear with us, like the rest of CA we're still learning what we all have to do going forth.
They deserve our business and support.

Old 04-21-2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
They deserve our business and support.
Roger that. Plus they are in WA which equals some pretty decent shipping rates.
Old 04-21-2018, 5:49 PM

I just created an account with Surplusammo and emailed my paperwork. Once they confirm, I will give them a try. Prices seem good.
Old 04-21-2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Just checked the Surplusammo.com site and they are now taking the FFL03 + COE from California so please add them to the list.

From their site:

Instructions for CALIFORNIA Ammunition Sales (as of 1/1/18):
•ALL AMMO SALES need to ship to a CA FFL or the new CA Ammo license. We have as of 02/07/18 received several CA FFL's (gun shop, pawn shop that deals in firearms or other business that deals in firearms and will have the federal firearms license "FFL") and a few of the new CA Ammunition Vendor's Licenses for CA ammo orders.
•We only need a copy of your local dealer's FFL or CA-Ammo license once for our files, any future ammo orders just need mention the license is already on file and we'll ship your order almost as quick as we used to (after checking the license IS on file and still current).
•We CAN and do now ship to 03 FFL's with a California C.O.E. (Certificate of Eligibility). Again, send us a current copy of each and once on file, future orders only need mention the documents are already on file.
Basically, it is harder now, but we plan to ship as much ammo into your state as we can. So please bear with us, like the rest of CA we're still learning what we all have to do going forth.

Thanks for the info. Surplusammo.com has been added to the list. I like their statements. Sounds like they are really trying to help us out.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just placed my first order with them. But they still made me choose an FFL during checkout. Was this the case with you?

I’ve had an order in Buds cart for a week until I got a definitive answer if I was gtg before completing my order. There really isn’t a step in the checkout process to upload my documents. I emailed them with my docs attached, also uploaded them to their chat. I looked for my name on the FFL drop down list with names in the black text which indicates only ammo receiver who don’t resell ammo. Still no answer so I gave up. I will generally want to buy from ammo websites that have free shipping for bulk ammo purchases.

Last edited by CAGLS; 04-22-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 6:11 PM

I wouldn't do business with buds they suck
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can you elaborate? I've only had good experiences there, but granted that is very limited. Only ordered ammo to an FFL01 - so I don't know how they handle anything else. The shipping is a bit steep and the multiple supplier thing is annoying.

I was hoping they'd get back on the list, but if there are issues I have no problems sticking with AIM Surplus or J&G.

I also want to express my anger with Cheaper Than Dirt who wan't ship ANY ammo to CA, or guns. even to an FFL01. I was incredibly polite and asked just because I thought I heard wrong and they proceeded to get rude and defensive right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfan View Post
I wouldn't do business with buds they suck
Old 04-26-2018, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
I also want to express my anger with Cheaper Than Dirt who wan't ship ANY ammo to CA, or guns. even to an FFL01. I was incredibly polite and asked just because I thought I heard wrong and they proceeded to get rude and defensive right off the bat.
This surprises you?

Attachment 702041

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 07-09-2019 at 3:29 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That image. LOL

Up until then, I had okay experiences with them, am I late to the CTD hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
This surprises you?

Attachment 702041

Want to buy:
  1. 12+ Gun Safe (Bsy Area)
  2. A .327 Henry lever action
  3. SPPrimers
Old 04-26-2018, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
That image. LOL

Up until then, I had okay experiences with them, am I late to the CTD hate?
Oh about 20plus years late