Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Gun homicides, suicides, and geography

https://medium.com/handwaving-freako...l-277cb90fa06d
Quote:
We hear a lot of banter from the “anti-gun” media that these problems are gun problems, and they’ve concocted this “gun deaths” number in order to lump these into the same problem and gloss over the differences. But if the problem were “guns,” then the hot spots on the suicide map and the hot spots on the homicide map would coincide, and would be related to gun ownership rates. There are only a few places where they overlap. Most of the hot zones for suicide have low homicide rates, and most of the hot zones for homicide have low suicide rates. The difference is stark. Let’s zoom in.
Gun suicide is a California problem north of Sacramento. Gun homicide is a problem south of it. There’s basically a geographic boundary that runs through Reno, Sacramento, and San Francisco where suicides are a problem to the north, and homicides are a problem to the south. I hear it’s nice in San Diego, and these maps confirm it.
I picked this up via https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/, which I have set as my home page in Firefox.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Great article - argues that it really is a cultural problem
Old 12-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Remember how people liked to blame the neighboring states/cities surrounding Chicago for their high homicides? :^)

Weird how Chicago is such a **** hole, but everywhere else in the immediate area is totally fine.

It's as if guns have literally nothing to do with it :^)
Old 12-29-2019, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Yet, most gun violence 'research' doesn't bear this out?

Sorry, that should read 'All' gun violence research.

It seems like there is money available for those who wish to study the 'right' aspect of the problem.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Suicides should be in a special category. Folks wanting to off themselves are very different then homicides in most cases.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 12-29-2019, 1:47 PM

Homicides involve victims who do not want to die and suicides are reserved for those who do want to die. Kind of like apples and oranges isn't it?
Old 12-29-2019, 2:35 PM
CGSSA Associate

I know some on here don't like the gun violence study by the feds, but my Hope is s*** like this will come to light once and for all.

If we get really lucky, we might lock up the crazies like we've done in the past.
Old 12-29-2019, 2:59 PM

in the past we could only lock up crazies after we demonstrated through over whelming evidence that they were crazy in a legal court. Now we lock up crazies based on hearsay evidence provided by some ding bat housewife who is crazier than the person she is complaining about. we now call it red flag laws and we ignore due process. kind of reminds me of that loony toon professor in Davis.
Old 12-29-2019, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Homicide can be a desirable occurrence , as it does include every instance of self defense when an attacker is killed.

As an aside democrats and their media henchmen never refer to murder rates because it is an accurate term that shows the USA is one of the safest least violent nations on earth !
Old 12-29-2019, 6:27 PM

I would like to see an alcohol and drug incident overlay.

Break down the drug incidents into opioids, marijuana, manufacture / grow and use.

Both suicide and homicide and how it ties into the overall.
Old 12-30-2019, 1:19 AM

Good article- good info thanks.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 PM

My take on all of the maps and statistics is: A lot to digest. As noted there is a dramatic difference between gun homicide and gun suicide. I would suggest that the statistics are related to hunting and more rural communities. i.e. long gun suicides versus hand gun homicides. People in hunting communities are less likely to commit gun homicides but given the availability of guns (long guns) can and do commit suicide.

A few years ago I read an article about states that are more "trigger happy".
The lady author tried to say that states like Montana, Wisconsin and Alaska are more "tigger happy" because of the higher number of gun deaths. It was a very biased and flawed article because she singled out states that have a high number of gun ownership due to hunting (long guns); AND the biggest omission was....the "trigger happy" states have a very high number of Native Americans. Suicide is a HUGE problem on reservations. And gun suicide is often just listed as a gun death.

If the statistics took into consideration the type of gun; it would make things a lot more understandable.
Old 12-31-2019, 7:15 AM

Trump needs to hire John Lott to run the government study.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:56 AM
Calguns Addict

I believe geography can influence suicide rate... Arctic Circle countries with long dark winters or areas where it's always rainy, foggy, cloudy for instance but I do NOT believe these suicide rates would be less if they had 0 access to guns.
Old 01-09-2020, 7:15 PM

Geography or socioeconomic status? I bet we would find a stark correlation between the 2
Old 01-10-2020, 6:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

One word - Japan. High suicide rate, no guns.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 01-10-2020, 7:28 AM

Default Annual Homicide Report - In 2019 St. Louis - 91% of Homicide Suspects are Black

"In 2019 St. Louis—A 49% Black/43% White City—91% Of Known Homicide Suspects Are Black . . .

Our good friends at the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department not only put out an annual report on crime broken down by race, but a weekly analysis of the yearly crime rate.

Also, conveniently, the SLMPD breaks out violent crime by the race of suspects.

For 2019, there were 194 homicides in the city, with 175 of the victims being black (90%).

Suspects are known in only 42 percent of the homicides, with 75 of the suspects being black and 7 being white (there were 15 white victims of homicide in St. Louis in 2019).

Thus, in 2019 St. Louis, black suspects represent 91 percent of known suspects.

Full article: https://vdare.com/posts/in-2019-st-l...ects-are-black

Jesse Jackson: "“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
Apparently Jesse knows his crime stats too!
Video of tourists in St. Louis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBoa-NbNL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post

Last edited by CPRAFAN; 01-10-2020 at 7:31 AM..
Old 01-11-2020, 1:42 AM

Economic inequality is the modern discriminator. Why do we keep focusing on race?? Keeps us all divided by things we can see with our eyes...
Old 01-11-2020, 8:10 AM

The conclusions drawn from this data are already well known. The gun haters know this too and that’s why they hate guns! To gun haters the guns are the problem and they know suicides and homicides aren’t going away if you take them away. They really do not care about facts or data. Do you honestly think Democratic legislators even read the anti-gun legislation they vote for? They do not care about data, and if suicides made up 100% of gun deaths they would still vote to get rid of semi auto rifles and pistols. Moreover, they would still pass additional laws to increase the burden and barriers to gun ownership we already face.

Last edited by fireguymfd; 01-11-2020 at 8:14 AM..
Old 01-11-2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguymfd View Post
The conclusions drawn from this data are already well known. The gun haters know this too and that’s why they hate guns! To gun haters the guns are the problem and they know suicides and homicides aren’t going away if you take them away. They really do not care about facts or data. Do you honestly think Democratic legislators even read the anti-gun legislation they vote for? They do not care about data, and if suicides made up 100% of gun deaths they would still vote to get rid of semi auto rifles and pistols. Moreover, they would still pass additional laws to increase the burden and barriers to gun ownership we already face.
Agreed. That’s why social issues including gun violence and suicide are greatly influenced by socio economic status yet we don’t even think twice about
Old 01-11-2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Yep. South Korea is even worse, I believe.