Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-10-2019, 1:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default What height rings for my setup?

QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED THANKS...

I am hoping to pickup a Remington 700 Police LTR Rifle. It has a rail mount pre-installed, do not know which brand. It is just a flat rail mounted directly to the receiver. My scope is a Leupold Patrol 3-9x40 30mm scope.

I need to know what size rings to get. I am thinking about getting Leupold Mark 4 rings. Or maybe Badger Ordinance rings. But I need to know if Low or Medium rings work best.

Thanks much.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-11-2019 at 8:38 AM..
Old 09-10-2019, 1:28 PM

Calipers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 09-10-2019, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Heck no. That's reinventing the wheel.

This is a known based on fixed constants. There are hundreds if not thousands of people here on Calguns who already know the answer. Why should I waste time and money and effort when I can just ask them what they went with?

Anybody who owns a factory Remington 700 Police, SPS Tactical, etc and a scope with a 40mm already went down this road.

It is a series of constants.

- Remington 700 with a sorendo contour barrel
- standard rail mount
- standard 40mm diamater objective and 30mm tube

From that anybody with any experience with a Remington bolt action rifle should be able to tell me which height rings work best.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-10-2019 at 1:44 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get the rifle first.
Old 09-10-2019, 1:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Get the rifle first.
Well..no. That doesn't work for me. I shouldn't need to. Anybody who owns a Remington 700 Police, Sps tactical, varmint, etc and a 30mm diamater scope with a 40mm objective scope knows the answer. This is all standardized. The constants involved here don't change. Your responses are like saying to measure the magwell of a AR15 to know if a magazine will fit or not. There simply is not need for that. A specific size magazine is designed to fit that specific magwell. Likewise, only one height rings fits a Sorendo diameter barrel and a 30mm scope with a 40mm objective. Remington experts should know this answer off the back of their hand.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-10-2019 at 1:58 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

with a non-adjustable cheek rest, it might not be a foregone conclusion that everyone would prefer the same height, so i cannot really make a suggestion.
Old 09-10-2019, 1:59 PM

With a 40mm objective, you should be fine with low rings as far as clearing the barrel.
Depending on the shape of your face and cheekbones, lows may or may not work for you.
I use low rings on my 40mm objective scopes, when a friend of mine tries to sight through my rifle he can barely see through the scope because his face is fatter than mine.
Old 09-10-2019, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In that case I know that answer as well.

My concern is that the scope clear the barrel. The lower the better for me.
Old 09-10-2019, 2:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamW View Post
With a 40mm objective, you should be fine with low rings as far as clearing the barrel.
Depending on the shape of your face and cheekbones, lows may or may not work for you.
I use low rings on my 40mm objective scopes, when a friend of mine tries to sight through my rifle he can barely see through the scope because his face is fatter than mine.
Thanks, that's the answer I needed.

My concern was clearing the barrel. I should have been more clear. Thank you.

I'm a fat guy...but the lower the better for me. I guess my cheekbones must just be thinner than most.
Old 09-10-2019, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

First figure out if your rail is weaver or picatinny. Usually with a rail you can run low or extra low rings. You do need to watch the clearance between the rail and the scopes turret housing.
Old 09-10-2019, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

Just a suggestion perhaps, based on my experience. A lesson that cost me too much time and money in the past.

As you've noted above, the bare minimum ring height positions the scope and objective bell enough to clear the barrel with an extra few millimeters to accommodate a scope cover.

Building upon that minimal threshold, i wish i had taken the time to assure that i not only accommodated my facial features but also comfort...the ability to rapidly and repeatably establish a natural point of aim improved my overall comfort and performance rather dramatically.

I first acquire the scope...then all you need is an assistant, a deck of cards and a ruler.

I position myself and the rifle in the position i struggle with and yet enjoy the most...for me that would be prone. My assistant stabilizes the scope as we add or subtract cards on the rail till we find a comfortable and natural point of aim and of course eye relief.

Then i measure the requisite height and purchase the appropriate ring height.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-10-2019, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I suppose worst case there will be a set of rings for sale in the marketplace at some point.

I am wishing I didn't unload all the Leupold Mark 4 rings I got for free when my father retired and closed up his gun shop. I could use a set. I let them all go way too cheap. But then again I used the money to buy something cool. So I guess it all evens out.
Old 09-10-2019, 5:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Thanks, that's the answer I needed.

My concern was clearing the barrel. I should have been more clear. Thank you.

I'm a fat guy...but the lower the better for me. I guess my cheekbones must just be thinner than most.
Yeah I had a 1" 40mm on a Leupold STD mount with low rings and about as low as you can go without touching.

Slightly more gap now with 30mm / 44mm Obj (Viper HS-T LR 4-16) Med Talley mount... no rail. Talley 700-721-722-725-40X Scope Mount

This is a 700P
Old 09-10-2019, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am hoping to pickup a Remington 700 Police LTR Rifle. It has a rail mount pre-installed, do not know which brand. It is just a flat rail mounted directly to the receiver. My scope is a Leupold Patrol 3-9x40 30mm scope.

I need to know what size rings to get. I am thinking about getting Leupold Mark 4 rings. Or maybe Badger Ordinance rings. But I need to know if Low or Medium rings work best.

Thanks much.
Primary arms sent me here today.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

I too am trying to figure out the right setup.

TC Compass in 6.5 with PA's Apollo scope for 6.5
https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-3-18x...-6-5cm-reticle

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 09-10-2019, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Primary arms sent me here today.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

I too am trying to figure out the right setup.

TC Compass in 6.5 with PA's Apollo scope for 6.5
https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-3-18x...-6-5cm-reticle

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I have Talley low Ext on a Compass with 30mm tube 44mm obj ... you would definitely need med. I totally recommend doing Talley direct to receiver over keeping factory rails.
Old 09-10-2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
The lower the better for me.

Lol so you need the rifle, scope, and calipers..... unless you just want “what works”.... I promise extra tall will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 09-10-2019, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
Lol so you need the rifle, scope, and calipers..... unless you just want “what works”.... I promise extra tall will work.
I have already owned this exact setup. It's been 15 years however. I just wanted confirmation I was remembering what my ideal setup was correctly. I have that confirmation.

With low rings and a 40mm objective scope it cleared the barrel and was a comfortable fit for my face when both prone and seated. With medium rings I needed a riser/pad to get a comfortable cheek weld. But with a 50mm objective scope I had no choice because they would not clear the barrel with low rings.

I just needed clarification I was remembering that correctly. Had to clear 15 years worth of cobwebs. I have that now. No further help needed. Thanks.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-10-2019 at 8:37 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 8:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

This is a known based on fixed constants. There are hundreds if not thousands of people here on Calguns who already know the answer. Why should I waste time and money and effort when I can just ask them what they went with?

Anybody who owns a factory Remington 700 Police, SPS Tactical, etc and a scope with a 40mm already went down this road.

- standard rail mount

From that anybody with any experience with a Remington bolt action rifle should be able to tell me which height rings work best.
Got to agree with this. Seems like every time there is a ring height question on a forum, people act like it's a big secret, give smartass answers, or link to one of a handful of instruction sites. Yes, there are a few variables, but somebody probably knows the answer.
Old 09-10-2019, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
30mm diamater scope with a 40mm objective scope knows the answer.
Hmmm, ever compare objective bells from one 40mm scope to another "40mm"...they aren't exactly the same. Close, but sometimes that clearance to the barrel gets pretty tight. Not trying to be a jackapple.
Old 09-10-2019, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Hmmm, ever compare objective bells from one 40mm scope to another "40mm"...they aren't exactly the same. Close, but sometimes that clearance to the barrel gets pretty tight. Not trying to be a jackapple.
I listed the makes/model of everything I am planning on using and it's all pretty common stuff. Common enough to expect lots of people to have to have tried this exact setup.

Plus, like I have said above...I am only asking for confirmation of what I already knew. Wanted to be sure I was remembering correctly. I've owned this setup before. But I've owned different setups as well. Just needed a little help clearing the cobwebs. Others have helped me do this already.

Devil's advocate is fine. But I have my answer already. Low probably will work best for me if I am remembering correctly. Medium would be safe, but to my recollection would require a riser/pad with this stock. I don't necessarily mind a pad. They are comfy. But if I can get by without one I prefer to. At least that is my line of thinking at the moment. I reserve the right to change my mind. Availability also comes into play. What my preferred suppliers have in-stock and what they are charging for it also matters. I have wholesale accounts with several distributors. But not every supplier carriers every brand/product line. Nor is everything you want always in stock when you want it. Worst case if I don't like something I can always sell it online. But helpful tips and reminders that others provided above should prevent that if I'm lucky.

Still, my posts in the marketplace are full of things that didn't work out...or that I since changed my mind on.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-10-2019 at 9:18 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 9:21 PM

We just want to make sure you have a drawer full of wrong & unused scope rings like the rest of us. If you buy the correct scope rings on the first try you are doing it wrong.

The scope ring industry relies on you buying at least 3 sets of rings for every scope you buy. It’s just basic economics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You're that lazy??

Place your scope on the base, does the bell touch?

If yes, place a spacer on the base until it doesn't touch. Measure the thickness of the spacer.

Add 1/2", that's your ring height!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

- standard rail mount

With a 0moa base, go with low rings.
If it was a 20moa base, then medium rings.
It also depends on WHO's rings though as some company's mediums are the same as other company's lows etc...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have already owned this exact setup. It's been 15 years however. I just wanted confirmation I was remembering what my ideal setup was correctly. I have that confirmation.

With low rings and a 40mm objective scope it cleared the barrel and was a comfortable fit for my face when both prone and seated. With medium rings I needed a riser/pad to get a comfortable cheek weld. But with a 50mm objective scope I had no choice because they would not clear the barrel with low rings.
Some scope turrets will not clear the RAIL with low rings.
It's back to the "how low is a low ring?" problem.
I have milled away the material between the picatinny slots in the middle of a rail to fix this.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
You're that lazy??
And he's PROUD of it.

Quote:
Well..no. That doesn't work for me. I shouldn't need to. Anybody who owns a Remington 700 Police, Sps tactical, varmint, etc and a 30mm diamater scope with a 40mm objective scope knows the answer. This is all standardized. The constants involved here don't change. Your responses are like saying to measure the magwell of a AR15 to know if a magazine will fit or not. There simply is not need for that. A specific size magazine is designed to fit that specific magwell. Likewise, only one height rings fits a Sorendo diameter barrel and a 30mm scope with a 40mm objective. Remington experts should know this answer off the back of their hand.
He just does not realize that it's NOT all standardized.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Ar15barrels

Not all standardized? You said it better than I did. Absolutely correct. It surely is not standardized in any manner shape or form.
And it's a lot more complicated than even experienced believe.

Last edited by hambam105; 09-12-2019 at 10:41 PM..