Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Default ...

Last edited by buicknutt; 02-24-2019 at 8:30 AM..
Old 01-15-2016, 11:37 AM

IMO, because your daughter has experience shooting .22lr, I don't think it will be a problem having her try the five-seven, one shot at a time like you said. The ergonomics may be the only thing I can see of possibly being a challenge for someone with tiny hands, but the two of you should be able to ID that before even firing off a shot.
Old 01-16-2016, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Personally, I don't think a 7 year old is really ready for a handgun, but that's just me. Too many things that can go wrong. I started all my grandkids and my kids with rifles between 5-7 years old. I didn't introduce them to handguns until they were about 10. It isn't about handling the recoil, it's about being able to keep it pointed in the right direction, not turning around with it, etc. it's harder to sweep around with a rifle.

Others may disagree, but that's their right. I always err on the side of caution.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 01-16-2016, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Personally, I don't think a 7 year old is really ready for a handgun, but that's just me. Too many things that can go wrong. I started all my grandkids and my kids with rifles between 5-7 years old. I didn't introduce them to handguns until they were about 10. It isn't about handling the recoil, it's about being able to keep it pointed in the right direction, not turning around with it, etc. it's harder to sweep around with a rifle.

Others may disagree, but that's their right. I always err on the side of caution.
This. ...start with rifle 22lr first
Old 01-16-2016, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Im all for teaching kids gun safety and marksmanship but there seems to be a recent trend to introduce kids to the most powerful weapons as early as possible. Im sure you could teach a 7yo to drink whisky or drive a racecar. Doesnt necessarily mean its a good idea.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 01-16-2016, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

The 5.7 has a relatively massive grip for small hands.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2016, 6:56 PM

If she's got the cash to pay for one in the Calguns classifieds, then great. But I'd let her arms and wrists develop a little more. Shooting handguns is harder than rifles because of the limited purchase for hand grip. Muzzle rise tends to rotate the line of fire back towards the shooter or adjacent companion.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 PM

Good points! All of which I have already considered...She does great on the sentinel revolver and seems to have a good grip on the FN. Like I mentioned earlier, 1 round only & I would be right there to keep everything down range. She knows the drill...

This most likely is not going to take place until much later...My initial ? was more about if anyone has tried this yet.

Funny how things get all turned around to giving children hard liquor and turning them loose in a race car.

Last edited by buicknutt; 01-27-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 AM

^ hahah so true
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:

One of the more intelligent posts.

Too many parents are so enthusiastic about introducing their kids to guns, they don't think clearly. For a seven year old, a rifle (preferably not semi auto) is wise. I had my nephew safely shoot my Semi-auto Uzi when he was 12. 10-lb. trigger, grip safety, 16" barrel & very little recoil. A semi-auto pistol is NOT a wise choice for a 7 year old. I've seen kids unintentionally fire a Ruger 22 auto when they let their finger get into the trigger guard. A heavier trigger or a single shot or bolt or lever gun would be more forgiving of such errors new shooters make - especially children. I've left the range several times when unsupervised children turn around to look for their stupid father (who wandered away to chat with someone), & the pistol turned with them, sweeping everyone. On one such occasion, I let the "father" know what happened & suggested he stay with his daughter & supervise her. He responded by chuckling "Yeah...she's gotta learn about gun safety...she's quite a gal." I responded, "You're quite an idiot."
Old 01-17-2016, 12:36 PM

Yeah what's the rush she's 7 years old.
Old 01-17-2016, 1:10 PM

Things get funky with semi's. She could drop it. Hammer could bite her. Recoil could bring her support hand into the slide. Best to keep things fun and safe with young shooters. If something raises suspicion then it's better to leave it be for a while.

A note on hammer bite, my pops has a large size browning .380. It's the largest .380 I've ever seen. I have big hands for a 5'10 person. At my annual physical my grip strength rates "ultra preferred." I can hold the gun and work the slide with no adverse effects or odd contact. As soon as I pull the trigger it bites me every time. All I can figure is the recoil somehow squishes the web of my thumb so that the hammer can bite it.

Like a five seven it's not a big or powerful round.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:

lol, okay. If a kid is going to sweep a rife, they'll sweep a pistol. Either way that's a fault of the parent, not the kid. My son has never swept either.

I started my 5 year old on a cricket. He did excellent with gun handling and safety, so we moved to a semi rifle, then semi pistol. I told him he had to continue to show me he was able to be safe, as well as function check the pistol by himself, and he'd earn his own.

Here just shot his first steel match this past weekend with his gsg 1911 .22

Last edited by Par5In2; 02-04-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, if you read my post, I never said they couldn't sweep a rifle. I said it was easier to sweep a pistol than a rifle. The size of the rifle gives you more reaction time.

Every kid is different. I didn't start any of my grandkids at the same age.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Long gun is absolutely preferred for beginners (regardless of age really), for exactly the reason ron-solo stated, among others.

OP indicates child is not inexperienced in shooting though.

I don't think letting the child shoot it is a big deal. She might have a little fun but it won't teach her anything valuable.

It's far from a "suitable youth pistol" though. The grip is large, the pistol is light, the flash is stunning.

Old 02-19-2016, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

So, have you shot it yet?? More so, has your daughter shot it. I'm just curious how many people who commented here actually owns one.....or more.

I have 2 in my tiny collection. They are fun to shoot. I was also thinking the same thing a few days ago for my boy.
Old 02-19-2016, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I would say a pistol is a bit much.
Old 02-19-2016, 4:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know how I've missed this thread for so long!

OP, if you thinks she's ready, can handle the size/recoil, and is responsible enough to not put herself or others in danger, go for it. As long as you're right there all time ready and watching it should be fine.

Stay safe, and have fun.

And I know how to drink whiskey (well more specifically scotch), will you teach me how to drive a race car?

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!