Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2018, 9:06 PM

Is anyone having problems getting their USN engraved that already have a personalized serial number before July 1? Will the engraver, ffl engrave a serial # if there’s already an existing serial #?
Old 10-31-2018, 9:29 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissr View Post
Is anyone having problems getting their USN engraved that already have a personalized serial number before July 1? Will the engraver, ffl engrave a serial # if there’s already an existing serial #?
Plenty of people will do that engraving, what area are you in?
They don't need an FFL if you stay there while they do the work.

Old 11-01-2018, 3:58 AM

is this article accurate? or is it missing steps?
https://www.80-lower.com/blogs/80-lo...r-pistol-in-ca
Old 11-02-2018, 1:09 PM

If I got a USN issued to me that has Model blank and Caliber 0000, what do I engrave on the lower?
Old 11-02-2018, 1:22 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephlwu View Post
If I got a USN issued to me that has Model blank and Caliber 0000, what do I engrave on the lower?
Nothing, and "Cal: Multi"

Old 11-03-2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty1911 View Post
is this article accurate? or is it missing steps?
https://www.80-lower.com/blogs/80-lo...r-pistol-in-ca
Proof of building it as a single-shot is not a requirement. Burden of proof is on CA DOJ that you did not build it that way. Although, it could be helpful to have proof, some would argue it could also provide evidence you did it wrong since there are no court determinations as to what is or isn't a single-shot AR. Also, based on the new regs there is some discussion to whether a single-shot sled is enough to meet the definition of being single shot.

Further, serial numbers must now be applied for and provided by the CA DOJ if the receiver did not already have one registered in the CA DOJ central registry.

Finally, because of changes in definitions regarding "manufacturing" there is some discussion as to whether or not it is even still legal to convert to semi-auto at all after the single shot build is complete.
Old 11-03-2018, 9:18 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

^ that final paragraph is important to remember. It is NOT known if one can legally make a semiauto out of a single-shot homebuild pistol anymore. The penal code indicates that it might not be. Proceed at your own risk (and be aware of heavy consequences if you assume incorrectly). Personally, I won't take that gamble. I have some home-built semiauto pistols from the original SSE era, and that's all I'll ever have. Don't really feel like risking living in a 5x8 room for the next decade.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
^ that final paragraph is important to remember. It is NOT known if one can legally make a semiauto out of a single-shot homebuild pistol anymore. The penal code indicates that it might not be. Proceed at your own risk (and be aware of heavy consequences if you assume incorrectly). Personally, I won't take that gamble. I have some home-built semiauto pistols from the original SSE era, and that's all I'll ever have. Don't really feel like risking living in a 5x8 room for the next decade.
Violation of the unsafe handgun law is a non-prohibiting misdemeanor, not a felony, not a wobbler.

Quote:
(a) A person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends an unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
Further, as long as one is doing this for personal use and not for sale, even if converting a single-shot to semi-auto is considered manufacturing under this new theory being bandied about, it would still be legal to do the conversion in Arizona/Nevada/Oregon.

In other words, even if adding a gas tube is manufacturing, the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did this "in this state."

Lastly, if this is manufacturing an unsafe handgun, then taking an on-roster "safe" handgun like a stock gen3 Glock 19 and putting an Apex trigger on it would also be a violation of 32000 as one would now be manufacturing an unsafe handgun from a safe handgun.
Old 11-05-2018, 1:04 PM

So I got another email from DOJ, generic one like many got. I assume its in response to previous one I got for my pistol build that I listed as multi they wanted me to specify a caliber. I changed it to .223 and this email today is like the others "The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail."
Soooo am I okay?
Old 11-05-2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMartin1776 View Post
So I got another email from DOJ, generic one like many got. I assume its in response to previous one I got for my pistol build that I listed as multi they wanted me to specify a caliber. I changed it to .223 and this email today is like the others "The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail."
Soooo am I okay?
That is what I am hoping for... It has been a couple weeks I think but I haven't received anything in the US Mail as of yet...
Old 11-05-2018, 2:08 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Soooo am I okay?
Ya you should be good now. Most people have been reporting that it takes about a month to get the letter after getting that email.

Old 11-05-2018, 4:35 PM

So I just received my approval letters; 4 of 5 received, each rifle or pistol had their own letter. One thing to note is, I moved during the process but the letters showed up with my new address even though the letters themselves have my old address. I never informed them of my new address since I didn't want it to slow the process down. The envelope wasnt forwarded or anything. It was printed with my new address...

Also it seems that I did not receive an approval letter for my AK, even though it was processed with the other rifles. I did however get an approval letter for my AR pistol which was rejected and resubmitted after the others.
Old 11-06-2018, 2:02 PM

Got my approval letter today! Hallelujah
Old 11-06-2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by customiiguy View Post
Got my approval letter today! Hallelujah
what was your total time start to finish?
Old 11-06-2018, 2:58 PM

It is possible that I missed it, but has anybody received confirmation one way or another regarding:

Firearm ownership reports submitted before the deadline, but not approved until after the deadline being acceptable as not needing to request DOJ issued SN?

or even reports being submitted and approved BEFORE the deadline meeting the DOJ requirement of not needing to apply for DOJ issued SN?

We know the language of the law makes it sounds like this is sufficient but has anybody received confirmation from DOJ?
Old 11-06-2018, 8:55 PM

I finally received my final approval letter, so I am now 5 of 5. All were volreg'd before the deadline with my own serials. All were rejected after the July 1st deadline for caliber or photos. I could not resubmit apps due to being after the July 1st deadline until some random date, where one of our members mentioned resumittal was possible again. Resubmitted per their requirements and then one of my AR pistols was rejected again with them requesting photos. Resubmit with photos.

Started the process in May and received my letters this week. All in all, I submitted 2 semi auto AR pistols and 3 semi auto featureless rifles.
Old 11-07-2018, 1:59 PM

Is there anyone that made corrections on or after 9/27, that still has not received an approval email?
Old 11-07-2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
what was your total time start to finish?
Submitted 6.6.18 ...80% pistol volreg.
Got email saying they want pics of maglock and engravings 8.24.18. Was able to resubmit pics 10.3.18
Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Anyone have their name, city, state and usn engraving on the right side of the mag well? Will doj accept it? And will they accept colt clone engraving like colts logo, m4 a1, colt defense, carbine etc? Anyone have any experience on getting their colt clones approved?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissr View Post
Anyone have their name, city, state and usn engraving on the right side of the mag well? Will doj accept it?
Why wouldn't they? They don't care where the engravings are on the receiver, as long as they're visible and not covered by anything.

I've got some where the make and model are on one side, the caliber on the opposite side, and the serial on the front of the magwell. DOJ didn't care.

Old 11-09-2018, 1:26 PM

Finally got the email confirming that I will get my approval letter by mail.

For anyone that is interested...

This was an 80% fully built AR that was self serialized. Submitted the registration on June 11th. DOJ kicked it back to me on Sept. 26th asking me to choose a caliber for my receiver marked MULTI. I made the correction on 27th and got the email today Nov. 9th.
Old 11-09-2018, 2:55 PM

Nice to see a lot of people from early June are starting to get their approvals. Gives me hope that my 11th hour 6/30 submissions will be processed "soon."
Old 11-09-2018, 6:25 PM

Been away for a couple months. People had positive results applying for a serial number for their 80% PISTOL that they built in 2016?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2018, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Has anyone who submitted June 30, received anything from the DOJ? I registered my pistols as frames only and I haven’t heard anything. I know I will probably have to resubmit with caliber and all the other crap since mine were actually built up.

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 11-11-2018, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just received the email about my CFARS application saying that my two homemade AR pistols application need photos also.

Did I totally miss that? I thought only Assault weapons registration needed photos.
Old 11-11-2018, 7:03 PM

Curious how did you register them: semiautomatic or single shot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
I just received the email about my CFARS application saying that my two homemade AR pistols application need photos also.

Did I totally miss that? I thought only Assault weapons registration needed photos.
Old 11-11-2018, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Only Assault weapons registration needed photos, until DOJ made up a rule wanting photos for some volreg firearms.

DOJ is requesting pics on at least some volreg firearms, but it looks like we may have a pushback option.

Member Mbdist posted this on 11/3 in post #134 in the "CFARS Self Built Firearm Applications Rejected" thread.

"Good news, sent corrections on 9-28 and received my Approved letters today. No pics were provided; however they asked for them... I politely informed them there is no provision in the current Penal Code for that request... I was expecting some push back or an outright rejection letter but today is a good day..."

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 11-11-2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
Only Assault weapons registration needed photos, until DOJ made up a rule wanting photos for some volreg firearms.

DOJ is requesting pics on at least some volreg firearms, but it looks like we may have a pushback option.

Member Mbdist posted this on 11/3 in post #134 in the "CFARS Self Built Firearm Applications Rejected" thread.

"Good news, sent corrections on 9-28 and received my Approved letters today. No pics were provided; however they asked for them... I politely informed them there is no provision in the current Penal Code for that request... I was expecting some push back or an outright rejection letter but today is a good day..."

T
Uh but he got his forms back that they did finalize registration? Again I've been off the forum for a couple months and probably need to go thru where I left off but people were starting to get visits from DOJ to inspect what was registered is that still a thing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
Has anyone who submitted June 30, received anything from the DOJ?
The latest submissions we have heard results from seem to be the middle of June.
I'm betting it's going to be quite some time for them to work through the backlog created the last 2 weeks of June.
Old 11-12-2018, 9:16 AM

I'm still waiting one 1 out of 5 submitted at the end of May. Was kicked back for caliber and I updated it at the end of Sept. I have gotten the "wait for mail" emails for the other 4.
Old 11-12-2018, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post

T
I thought so......although I see that post neither on 11/03 or post 134.

Are they accessible by phone to ask (assuming not but thought I'd ask)
Old 11-13-2018, 7:33 AM

Someone a while back had mentioned asking if DOJ will "unlock" your account so you can make edits before they review (for things like needing to select a caliber). Assuming the answer is no, but has anybody had any success with this?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Are they accessible by phone to ask (assuming not but thought I'd ask)
Call the main line, hit 2 and then 2 again. Not that you'll hear anything helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Here is his original post:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=134

Further update on this from Mbdist via PM:

The exact text he used in his responses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdist
All builds are featureless and do not require photographs per current regulations. Please provide the memorandum authorizing your picture request or justification based on current policy, Thank You.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps
Did you put this in the comments section of the application as a reply to their comment or did you open an issue in your issue log? Sounds like you did it in the comments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdist
Once in each area... Submitted 5 requests for assistance and 4 "issue" submissions.
So it looks like he put the request in the comments section in response to their request for photos, as well as starting an "Issue".

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
Someone a while back had mentioned asking if DOJ will "unlock" your account so you can make edits before they review (for things like needing to select a caliber). Assuming the answer is no, but has anybody had any success with this?
Yes. You can raise an "Issue" that you need to change something and they will respond. If they have any problems with your submission you will get and email about it and your submission will be marked "Incomplete" until you make changes.

T
Old 11-13-2018, 12:21 PM

Has anyone submitted something as a Guest? It was failing to process my submissions so I made the mistake of submitting 2 lowers as a Guest, thinking that I can at a later time add to my account. Nope, not even a record on the site other than my email credit card receipt and my printed receipts. Thankfully I printed them!

I'm curious now though as I haven't heard anything about them, but have on my others. Has anyone else had success with their Guest submissions, or get them added to your account somehow? I'm thinking of calling them or creating an issue ticket to check on their status.
Old 11-13-2018, 4:40 PM

Got approval letters for my 3 builds vol-reg'd today dated Nov 6th!
- Filed all three 6/14
- Rec'd emails 10/17 for all 3 but my AR pistol build had to be changed from multi to cal of my choice (.223) Pics were NOT requested and IMO the way I built & reported it is the reason. I built it as a single shot.
- Rec'd standard email for that 11/05
All 3 remain "In Progress" status on CFARS site

Last edited by BMartin1776; 11-13-2018 at 6:31 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 4:52 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Got letters for my 3 builds today dated Nov 6th!
- Filed all three 6/14
- Rec'd emails 10/17 for all 3 but my AR pistol build had to be changed from multi to cal of my choice (.223) Pics were NOT requested and IMO the way I built & reported it is the reason. I built it as a single shot.
- Rec'd standard email for that 11/05
All 3 remain "In Progress" status on CFARS site
This was for BBRAW, or for regular vol-reg?

Old 11-13-2018, 5:02 PM

regular vol-reg, i made correction in my post
Old 11-15-2018, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Curious how did you register them: semiautomatic or single shot??
Sorry I missed this....yes, I did them as semiautomatic...wonder if I can change it now?