Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2121  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Here is another one I recently acquired. Its Busse Swap Rat Mountain Mandu. 10" INFI flat ground blade with convex edge. This one came with a Big Satin finish I think they called it. I was not a fan of the finish so I've been sanding it down and its not done obviously. But so far it has proven to be a very good light chopper at 17oz.

This is a keeper for me, I bought two of them, the other in satin finish.

IMG_0127.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2122  
Old 11-06-2018, 7:30 AM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Here is another one I recently acquired. Its Busse Swap Rat Mountain Mandu. 10" INFI flat ground blade with convex edge. This one came with a Big Satin finish I think they called it.
Nice one. I had a HOGB8 with the BIG DC which is like sand blasted matte. The only INIFI blade I have right now is that FTG COMP.

I hear you. Unwrapping a $600 blade out and beating on it is not for everyone, and certainly not if you already have users the same size. I didn't want to do it especially with dupes, but I also didn't want to stack them in crates like cord wood, hahah. Actually has its appeal, but gets old. Pretty painless to hold these till values shoot up. That's the thing about BUSSE.

If you have a OKC you paid $90 for and add a $60 kydex sheath, you probably have a knife worth $100 in a couple years, haha.
Reply With Quote
  #2123  
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,288
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I spend most of my knife money on fixed blade knives, saws, and a couple axes. My preferred brands are Busse, Bark River, ESEE, Silky saws, Grandfors Bruk and Estwing hatchets.
I believe that you have this interest in common w/Cufflers and others here. I like looking at fixed blades and have a few (only the Gerber Mark I is of any value/interest) but, practically speaking, I have very little use for them and don't have the space to store them. I am already running out of room to store the folders I've been binge buying in my gun safe. I have 7 knife cases full of folders and most all of them are full. Just bought 2 more cases for backup. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
BTW, the reason you are seeing Hinderers for sale is because the Gen 6 is significantly better than previous gens.
The Hinderers I've seen still aren't bargains by any means but they keep popping up on Blade Forums and I'll probably buy one eventually.
__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-06-2018 at 4:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2124  
Old 11-06-2018, 2:17 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I am already running out of room to store the folders I've been bunge buting in my gun safe. I have 7 knife cases full of folders and most all of them are full. Just bought 2 more cases for backup. LOL!.
What kind of cases do you use?
Reply With Quote
  #2125  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:12 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
The Hinderers I've seen still aren't bargains by any means but they keep popping up on Blade Forums and I'll probably buy one eventually.
A gen 6 of the WC would be my choice.



I just scored another GEC.
Reply With Quote
  #2126  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:12 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Nice one. I had a HOGB8 with the BIG DC which is like sand blasted matte. The only INIFI blade I have right now is that FTG COMP.

I hear you. Unwrapping a $600 blade out and beating on it is not for everyone, and certainly not if you already have users the same size. I didn't want to do it especially with dupes, but I also didn't want to stack them in crates like cord wood, hahah. Actually has its appeal, but gets old. Pretty painless to hold these till values shoot up. That's the thing about BUSSE.

If you have a OKC you paid $90 for and add a $60 kydex sheath, you probably have a knife worth $100 in a couple years, haha.
I wanted a HOGB 8, but I was busy and missed the offering.

Well, OKCs are not exactly collector type knives haha, but they are good competent knives. Probably a good value as user knife, kind of like Kabar/Beckers. I have a big Kabar Taiwanese chopper I keep in the trunk of my daughter's car for emergencies. Its is a bad butt knife I just wish it was USA made.

I have most of my knife needs filled so I'm just doing upgrades and exploring value knives now. I've decided to keep the Bunker Buster for now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2127  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:27 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I believe that you have this interest in common w/Cufflers and others here. I like looking at fixed blades and have a few (only the Gerber Mark I is of any value/interest) but, practically speaking, I have very little use for them and don't have the space to store them.

I am already running out of room to store the folders I've been bunge buting in my gun safe. I have 7 knife cases full of folders and most all of them are full. Just bought 2 more cases for backup. LOL!

The Hinderers I've seen still aren't bargains by any means but they keep popping up on Blade Forums and I'll probably buy one eventually.
I really don't keep any of my knives in the safes because I don't have any safe space left and I'm not worried about theft. We are home almost all the time and have dogs and alarm system.

I like fixed blades, I keep them in vehicles and take them out camping. I also maintain four BOB type kits. My oldest couldn't take hers to college with her (no dorm space), but she'll get it back at some point.

If you go for a Hinderer my suggestion is that you get a Gen 6 because of the new Tri Way Pivot. The ball bearing option transforms the knife from a mediocre flipper action to an excellent action.

So I'm afraid the older Hinderers might loose some value, or it could be an opportunity to pick up a previous Gen at a very good price.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2128  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:28 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Or I have some cheaper choppers that are even better choppers like the Condor Pack Parang that I bought on Amazon for $50. Its not a super high quality blade, but that sucker will out chop some small axes.

I see you stripped your Chop House is that SR101 or INFI?
Yeah I hear that. I have a OKC RTAKII and a Cold Steel Royal Kukri Machete and some other cheap blades like that... real Kukri from Nepal made of a truck leaf spring, etc... Not much resale on a $20 South African CS machete that even comes with a usable sheath. Only thing to do with it is chop stuff.

BB13 BG is pretty purposeful looking but I have not used it... 1111's are really nice. Yeah that Chophouse is SR-101. Since I am low on INFI, I'll be keeping the Team Gemini and might try to find a new TGLB, but overall slowed way down. mostly like the 2ndary market stuff. I have nothing pending from Busse after that Forsaken Gemini. People love that SR-101 though... I have sold a bunch of knives over $300 that were not even INFI. But you know FLEAbay takes a big fee.

Cool hobby. When you regret selling something you can hunt for another - a hobby in itself. I let my Beer Scouts go and just got one I liked better than the two I had for less than I sold them for. Sniping one is more exciting than ordering on CK or TSA when they are well stocked.
Reply With Quote
  #2129  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:32 PM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,288
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
If you go for a Hinderer my suggestion is that you get a Gen 6 because of the new Tri Way Pivot. The ball bearing option transforms the knife from a mediocre flipper action to an excellent action.

So I'm afraid the older Hinderers might loose some value, or it could be an opportunity to pick up a previous Gen at a very good price.
I'm not enough of a Hinderer connoisseur for the generational differences to matter that much to me. So, I'd be happy to pick up an previous gen version as a discounted price.
__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.
Reply With Quote
  #2130  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:41 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
A gen 6 of the WC would be my choice.

I just scored another GEC.
I would like a Wharncliffe, but only in the fatty blade. The thin tip has always kept me away from that blade design. That, and I like having a curved belly for certain tasks.

It was hard for me to decide between the Spanto and the Skinner. The Spanto is a very strong blade design. Everyone has different preferences.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2131  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:42 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I'm not enough of a Hinderer connoisseur for the generational differences to matter that much to me. So, I'd be happy to pick up an previous gen version as a discounted price.
Some would say, with a 0560 KVT and the others you have it covered unless you really want one of Rick's.
Reply With Quote
  #2132  
Old 11-06-2018, 4:43 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I would like a Wharncliffe, but only in the fatty blade. The thin tip has always kept me away from that blade design. That, and I like having a curved belly for certain tasks.

It was hard for me to decide between the Spanto and the Skinner. The Spanto is a very strong blade design. Everyone has different preferences.
Yeah I'd love the one in the video or the ZT.
Reply With Quote
  #2133  
Old 11-06-2018, 5:07 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I'm not enough of a Hinderer connoisseur for the generational differences to matter that much to me. So, I'd be happy to pick up an previous gen version as a discounted price.
Probably one of the good ZT 0562 models is just as good/better than the previous Gen Hinderers IMHO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2134  
Old 11-06-2018, 5:08 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yeah I'd love the one in the video or the ZT.
Yeah, love the fatty blade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2135  
Old 11-06-2018, 5:19 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

A couple of others I bought in the last four months.

I bought the ESEE 6 for each of my daughters BOBs. I'm an ESEE fan, daughter got it dirty batoning some small wood for her Bush Box stove.

And this odd, but amazingly nice Cold Steel forged hunting knife. I bought it because it is one piece drop forged 52100 steel. Came with surprisingly decent sheath. If you need a short knife that has good steel and you won't kill yourself if you loose it then this thing is pretty cool.


IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg
__________________

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-06-2018 at 5:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2136  
Old 11-06-2018, 5:33 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Last two more recent purchases.

The twin Mountain Mandu 10" in INFI this has a satin finish.

And my first Bark River, the Bravo 1.25 5" blade in CPM 3V. Love this knife, but I just gave this to my wife.

IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg

I think I'm all caught up now on newer knives.
__________________

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-06-2018 at 5:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2137  
Old 11-06-2018, 6:25 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yeah I hear that. I have a OKC RTAKII and a Cold Steel Royal Kukri Machete and some other cheap blades like that... real Kukri from Nepal made of a truck leaf spring, etc... Not much resale on a $20 South African CS machete that even comes with a usable sheath. Only thing to do with it is chop stuff.

BB13 BG is pretty purposeful looking but I have not used it... 1111's are really nice. Yeah that Chophouse is SR-101. Since I am low on INFI, I'll be keeping the Team Gemini and might try to find a new TGLB, but overall slowed way down. mostly like the 2ndary market stuff. I have nothing pending from Busse after that Forsaken Gemini. People love that SR-101 though... I have sold a bunch of knives over $300 that were not even INFI. But you know FLEAbay takes a big fee.

Cool hobby. When you regret selling something you can hunt for another - a hobby in itself. I let my Beer Scouts go and just got one I liked better than the two I had for less than I sold them for. Sniping one is more exciting than ordering on CK or TSA when they are well stocked.
OK, the Chop House is SR101 nice strip job it looks cool. My SR101 knives have been quite good. Ive done a lot of chopping with my Ratweiler, Trash 2, and some with the Trash 1. I got micro chipping with the Trash 1 and 2 on seasoned blue oak testing on a cross cut (very tough test), but I just ground out the chips and haven't had a problem since. Otherwise, the SR101 holds a hell of an edge. The Ratweiler has been stellar.

The RTAK is a good solid knife, and I've always wanted a good Kukri but I don't know much about the Nepalese Kukris. I tried to look into them and it seems there is one maker that is better than the rest, but I don't care for the traditional raised portion in the handle. I guess I could modify the handle some.

I'm more likely to buy an American designed Kukri, Parang, or Bolo chopper because they often come with a full tang. I guess the people in Nepal have been using their designs for generations and know what they are doing though.

I like messing with inexpensive knives, some of the Joe Flowers designed Condor choppers are very impressive for the money and when you inadvertently hit the ground or chop dirty wood you don't feel so bad grinding the blade chips out. It hurts a lot more when you do that to your 200-$500 chopper.

I even bought a couple sizes of those Old Hickory $11 to $17 dollar knives. I'm going to modify them for fun. I'm going to pop the handles off, make some new scales or reshape them, perhaps reshape and patina the blades.

I'm a little jealous, I've been wanting a Busse TG for a while, but I don't want to spend $1500 on ebay. I think I like the TG a little better than the TGLB because I like the weight, but I haven't done enough research to compare well. You are a lucky man.

I'm not a fan of the Forsaken TG, I like the look, but its not practical for me and all my knives will eventually become users or I will get rid of them. I should have bought a TG a year or two ago, but I wanted satin and thought they were too expensive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2138  
Old 11-06-2018, 7:46 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
And this odd, but amazingly nice Cold Steel forged hunting knife. I bought it because it is one piece drop forged 52100 steel. Came with surprisingly decent sheath. If you need a short knife that has good steel and you won't kill yourself if you loose it then this thing is pretty cool.
I was all set on the CS Drop Forged Survivalist and just forgot about it. I had even bought the skate tape I was going to put on it already. Still might get it someday or maybe that smaller blade, that looks pretty cool. I still have a Master Tanto in 3V that is a 6" blade. Kind of cool to look at, but not really the style to take camping or even in the backyard. More like for a shelf, which is why I'll sell it. Already sold the 9" version I had - that one was not well balanced. I do have some Hard Edge Knives that are Asian influenced that are more usable IMHO... with kydex sheaths he made and blade shapes are better for me. One is 1095 and the other one is 3V. The handles are wraps, but marine epoxied. I'm sure I posted here but ya never know with the PhotoBucket meltdown. That guy makes some cool stuff meant to use.



Reply With Quote
  #2139  
Old 11-06-2018, 8:26 PM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,288
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Probably one of the good ZT 0562 models is just as good/better than the previous Gen Hinderers IMHO.
Perhaps but, silly as it may sound, performance isn't that important to me because none of my ZTs will EVER be carried or used to actually cut anything and the same applies to any XM-18 that I may buy.

They're just something I've decided to collect and will remain safe queens as long as I own them, which will probably be until the day I die because I almost NEVER sell anything that I buy for a collection, unless I am so unhappy w/something in particular that I just HAVE to sell it, but generally anything I buy never leaves my possession.

This includes the over 25 firearms and over 2000 LPs and 1000 CDs all of the vintage high end audio equipment that I also own to play them.

The only knives that I've used and carried are cheaper Kershaws and CRKTs. My favorite EDC for the moment is a CRKT Terrestrial. I also have used/carried an old black Shallot blem and a black Blur blem but have retired them in favor of the Terrestrial. If I think I need to carry a knife for defensive use, I'd probably carry my Kershaw/Emerson CQC-4KXL. I've also got a CRKT Sting to use as a boot/ankle knife and a Ka-Bar Hellfire OWB knife that I can use for backup as well. All of them are relatively cheap and fully functional.
__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-07-2018 at 5:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2140  
Old 11-07-2018, 4:13 PM
DolphinFan DolphinFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 795
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Buck 110 Automatic arrived today. Beautiful craftsmanship. Smooth blade activation.
Reply With Quote
  #2141  
Old 11-07-2018, 5:41 PM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,288
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
Buck 110 Automatic arrived today. Beautiful craftsmanship. Smooth blade activation.
Congrats!

It's still on my list too. Want to pair it w/my old beat up Buck 110 Hunter Folder.
__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.
Reply With Quote
  #2142  
Old 11-07-2018, 6:46 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Perhaps but, silly as it may sound, performance isn't that important to me because none of my ZTs will EVER be carried or used to actually cut anything and the same applies to any XM-18 that I may buy.

They're just something I've decided to collect and will remain safe queens as long as I own them, which will probably be until the day I die because I almost NEVER sell anything that I buy for a collection, unless I am so unhappy w/something in particular that I just HAVE to sell it, but generally anything I buy never leaves my possession.

This includes the over 25 firearms and over 2000 LPs and 1000 CDs all of the vintage high end audio equipment that I also own to play them.

The only knives that I've used and carried are cheaper Kershaws and CRKTs. My favorite EDC for the moment is a CRKT Terrestrial. I also have used/carried an old black Shallot blem and a black Blur blem but have retired them in favor of the Terrestrial. If I think I need to carry a knife for defensive use, I'd probably carry my Kershaw/Emerson CQC-4KXL. I've also got a CRKT Sting to use as a boot/ankle knife and a Ka-Bar Hellfire OWB knife that I can use for backup as well. All of them are relatively cheap and fully functional.
Everyone has their way of enjoying their knives and belongings. I personally decided that it doesn't make sense for me to buy really nice things and not use them. I enjoy using good tools, as I appreciate the fit, finish, precision, materials, reliability, and feel of good tools. It just bugs me to use crappy tools.

Not that I don't have quite a few cheaper tools, but if I'm going to use them a lot I'll upgrade. I usually give away the tools I don't keep, or sell them in a garage sale.

So, I have a different philosophy. I carry my expensive knives and if I have to use one for defense I'll throw it away just like I would a cheap knife. $25 or $425 its still cheaper than lawyer time. The chances of me needing to use a knife for self protection are probably 1 in 100,000 anyway.

I also have trouble getting rid of anything. My wife tells me that I need to sell stuff I don't use. I have 6 motorcycles I don't ride anymore. Over 60 firearms (I need to get rid of at least 10). I did give my Mark Levinson and B&W audiophile stereo stuff to my son about 15 years ago when I got into home theater, but yeah, its hard for me to get rid of stuff. In fact, I still have an old Vidikron tube video projector in my garage that I replaced at least 10 years ago.

The other thing about really good tools is that they wear well. Good tools will still be good or repairable after years of use. Some tools even increase in value with some wear patina.

Good knife companies also have great warranties. Destroy your $600 Busse, Swamp Rat, or SYKCO knive and Busse will repair replace or give you a credit. ESSE has a no questions asked repair or replacement warranty. I believe Benchmade does as well as other quality knife companies.

Anyway, good luck with your collection. Hope you enjoy it.
__________________

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-07-2018 at 6:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2143  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:05 PM
MeatyMac's Avatar
MeatyMac MeatyMac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: A Banana Republic
Posts: 872
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Reply With Quote
  #2144  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:14 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I was all set on the CS Drop Forged Survivalist and just forgot about it. I had even bought the skate tape I was going to put on it already. Still might get it someday or maybe that smaller blade, that looks pretty cool. I still have a Master Tanto in 3V that is a 6" blade. Kind of cool to look at, but not really the style to take camping or even in the backyard. More like for a shelf, which is why I'll sell it. Already sold the 9" version I had - that one was not well balanced. I do have some Hard Edge Knives that are Asian influenced that are more usable IMHO... with kydex sheaths he made and blade shapes are better for me. One is 1095 and the other one is 3V. The handles are wraps, but marine epoxied. I'm sure I posted here but ya never know with the PhotoBucket meltdown. That guy makes some cool stuff meant to use.



You know, I almost bought the Survivalist, but I thought I'd get the small one first to try it out before deciding. And I'm still not sure about the bigger knife. You were mentioning skate board tape and that might work, but the problem is, if you think the recessed scale-less design is a problem, That you would need some more thickness.

I though about making some wood or micarta inserts for the handle, but I figured out that it might interfere with the sheath locking in in the front. And if I wrap something around the outside of the handle it will keep the sheath snap from reaching around the handle. So, I haven't decided which way to go. I may just put two or three thin coats of Dip It on part of the handle and call it a day.

That Master Tanto knife looks very cool. Where did you find that? In 3V you could use that as a prybar and then cut bones with it...
__________________

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-07-2018 at 7:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2145  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:16 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Camouflage? That is a beauty. I would carry that any time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2146  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:18 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

CQC-10K / 6030 - like it a lot already, this one is not going back in the box. Lean and mean - or at least thin. Perfect detent, perfectly smooth, hooks the pocket better than others I've had including the Cold Steels.







Reply With Quote
  #2147  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:18 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
Buck 110 Automatic arrived today. Beautiful craftsmanship. Smooth blade activation.
Nice, I wish I had one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2148  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:21 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
You know, I almost bought the Survivalist, but I thought I'd get the small one first to try it out before deciding. And I'm still not sure about the bigger knife. You were mentioning skate board tape and that might work, but the problem is, if you think the recessed scale-less design is a problem, That you would need some more thickness.
Yeah I just want to put the tape in the recess and if grip doesn't allow contact, so be it. I ordered the small one you have. I found one in black. I will try it out and probably compare to my Dumpster Mutt. I got rid of a 311 before trying it but that one is pretty neat. A 411 would be sweet.
Reply With Quote
  #2149  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:23 PM
97F1504RAD's Avatar
97F1504RAD 97F1504RAD is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal-East Bay Area
Posts: 5,924
iTrader: 77 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Thatís a sweet blade
Reply With Quote
  #2150  
Old 11-07-2018, 7:37 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
CQC-10K / 6030 - like it a lot already, this one is not going back in the box. Lean and mean - or at least thin. Perfect detent, perfectly smooth, hooks the pocket better than others I've had including the Cold Steels.
Very beautiful. I've never tried the pocket hook type knives. Emerson is the company that came up wit that design right? In looks good in theory, I guess it works pretty well. Hmmm. Nice stone washed blade. What kind of steel are they using on that? Wicked tip.
__________________

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-07-2018 at 7:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2151  
Old 11-07-2018, 8:00 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yeah I just want to put the tape in the recess and if grip doesn't allow contact, so be it. I ordered the small one you have. I found one in black. I will try it out and probably compare to my Dumpster Mutt. I got rid of a 311 before trying it but that one is pretty neat. A 411 would be sweet.
You'll see what I was talking about when you get it. I wish I could just buy some aftermarket scales for it. I'd just drill through and put a couple rivets in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2152  
Old 11-07-2018, 8:05 PM
MeatyMac's Avatar
MeatyMac MeatyMac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: A Banana Republic
Posts: 872
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Camouflage? That is a beauty. I would carry that any time.
That's my first ZT, bought it this afternoon and I bought a 0452CF to go with it, Perry's in Concord made me a cash deal I couldn't refuse

The 0452CF is a beast, blade length is 4.10"

Last edited by MeatyMac; 11-08-2018 at 5:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2153  
Old 11-08-2018, 10:57 AM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,288
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
The 0452CF is a beast, blade length is 4.10"
Yeah, I really like the 0452CF as as well as the 0462BLK "Sprint Run" that I bought too. The specs say that the 0462 blade is only 3.75" but I measure mine at 4.125" Great BIG knives!

__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-08-2018 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2154  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 AM
FIELDWORKS360's Avatar
FIELDWORKS360 FIELDWORKS360 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 376
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Default

Williams Blades. Made by Winkler.
Reply With Quote
  #2155  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 AM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Very beautiful. I've never tried the pocket hook type knives. Emerson is the company that came up wit that design right? In looks good in theory, I guess it works pretty well. Hmmm. Nice stone washed blade. What kind of steel are they using on that? Wicked tip.
Yeah I prefer flippers, but I might add this one to the rotation because the action is good and the bowie tip is so cool. I am carrying it today with a Maserin Plow. These are inexpensive alphabet steel IIRC. 8Cr14MoV. Probably comparable to AUS8. I was never impressed by something like a Thermite with similar steel but they cut. Just like any $20-$30 Chinese Kershaw that doesn't have KVT's (bearings) or decent sized phos-bronze bushings there is a bit of blade play that will get worse I am sure. That's to be expected. Great $30 Wave knife IMHO.

You might check out a Comp finish Busse up close... kind of like a rough satin finish with enough machine / grind marks that you won't worry about scuffing a perfect polished surface. I wasn't crazy about the bead blast finish either. That satin looks awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #2156  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 AM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,288
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yikes. Not a good copy at all. Most like a 0566 from the pic. The 0562 is a 3.5" blade Hinderer slicer grind and a pretty big knife (with kvt's S35VN, titanium, premium materials, etc).
Just an update on my Chinese Clone adventure:

Surprise, surprise!

DHGate (the coordinating vendor for those Chinese clone makers) just agreed to give me a full refund for the very poor ZT0560 copy. I also got a refund for a Kershaw Agile that I received that came w/a bottle opener end instead of a lanyard as advertised. That's a total of $150 in refunds so far. Also asking for a refund for a Kershaw Induction that "rattles" because there's something loose inside the knife body.

That's 3 "bad" knives out of 8 received and 11 ordered. The 4 "good" Kershaw knives that I've received are an Amplitude, Freefall, Brawler and RJ1. I also received a Launch 2 that works BUT the button is not fully recessed like a "real" one which makes it a risk to carry, even if that's just around the house. However, when I put it in my pocket and tried to set it off my pressing against my pants it did not deploy. So, I did not ask for a refund and would rate it "acceptable" (neither "bad" nor "good).

That's only a 50% success rate on the "good" knives that I've received so far but, since I've gotten a 50% refund for all the knives purchased, I don't feel ripped off. The success rate may get better if the 3 knives remaining to be received are "good" too.
__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-08-2018 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2157  
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,829
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Just an update on my Chinese Clone adventure:

Surprise, surprise!
Sounds like a SCI-FI themed porno.
Reply With Quote
  #2158  
Old 11-08-2018, 1:05 PM
readysetgo's Avatar
readysetgo readysetgo is offline
Win win win win
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips
Posts: 8,147
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

They're FAKES!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by teg33 View Post
Welcome, don't listen to readysetgo.
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Reply With Quote
  #2159  
Old 11-08-2018, 1:22 PM
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,324
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post

....You might check out a Comp finish Busse up close... kind of like a rough satin finish with enough machine / grind marks that you won't worry about scuffing a perfect polished surface. I wasn't crazy about the bead blast finish either. That satin looks awesome.
I like the old school Busse comp finish with the bubble/dimple finish, but I guess they don't do that anymore. What I got with the Big Satin Finish was a finish with curved deep machine marks. When you run your fingernail across them you get sort of a zip noise. I didn't care for it so I'm sanding that one out. I don't mind getting marks on the satin finish knives, if I use them I expect that.

I have not seen a bead blasted Busse Kin live, but that might be interesting. Wish they did a stone wash.
__________________

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-08-2018 at 1:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2160  
Old 11-08-2018, 1:26 PM
MeatyMac's Avatar
MeatyMac MeatyMac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: A Banana Republic
Posts: 872
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Yeah, I really like the 0452CF as as well as the 0462BLK "Sprint Run" that I bought too. The specs say that the 0462 blade is only 3.75" but I measure mine at 4.125" Great BIG knives!
I almost bought a 0462BLK yesterday before the guy put a 0452CF in my hand, then the 0450CF went into my hand and I was sold
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:46 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.