Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

View Poll Results: Best on roster "budget" handgun for SHTF
S&W M&P Shield 23 26.14%
S&W SD9VE 17 19.32%
XD9 24 27.27%
RIA MAPP 4 4.55%
Kahr CW9 10 11.36%
S&W M442, M637-2, M638, M642-2, Bodyguard 13 14.77%
EAA Windicator 4 4.55%
Taurus 605 6 6.82%
Charter Arms Undercover 3 3.41%
RIA M206 4 4.55%
Other 15 17.05%
A big slab of BACON is all you need to defend yourself 20 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2018, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
Why not a Black Powder pistol?
Thats a whole can of worms I dont want to get into. I appreciate your out of the box thinking.

I think id rather have a compound bow for SHTF then a cap and ball deringer or revolver. Would it even be feasable to store blackpowder for however long you would need to, like 30-40 years? And percussion caps too? And even if you know how to make black powder, how do you know if you would be in a situation where you could get the raw ingredients and have a setup to mix it all together? Seems like it would be much easier and more realistic to simply stash a 38 revolver or 9mm pistol with 20rds, somewhere no one but yourself can access it.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 08-30-2018, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
That is why you should have put the Hi Point in the poll, because that is a scenario where the Hi Point is not only equal to Glock it is better, but I would stash a Glock for that purpose before I would a S&W Shield, S&W revolver, Kahr, Charter Arms, or Taurus revolver.
I know there is a saying "never say never" but Im pretty sure I will NEVER EVER buy a Hipoint. NEVER! If you like em thats fine more power to you. I think i can manage to scrape together $250 to buy a used SD9VE, you know a gun that you can actually fieldstrip without having to punch out a rollpin to remove the slide. LOL. Yes, i have low standards, not zero standards.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 2:58 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I know there is a saying "never say never" but Im pretty sure I will NEVER EVER buy a Hipoint. NEVER! If you like em thats fine more power to you. I think i can manage to scrape together $250 to buy a used SD9VE, you know a gun that you can actually fieldstrip without having to punch out a rollpin to remove the slide. LOL. Yes, i have low standards, not zero standards.
I have a LGS where I am comfortable with the teasing I might receive for wanting to order one. That's no problem. I still doubt I would ever buy one. I already have cheap guns I don't shoot. If I didn't have cheapos I might pickup a consigned PPT really cheap before a Highpoint... but what are they like $150-$180? I guess there isn't anything that cheap. I think back when things were cheaper I bought a CZ40B, Taurus 605, PT111, P95 all under $300... but under $200... that might be too cheap. I only shot one once and the mag came apart after a few shots. I think it was temporary but it didn't make a good impression on me. Maybe they are better now.

Removing the slide takes a punch? Wow, that'd be a deal breaker for most people I imagine. Close to $200 is a lot towards a XD or used Glock/trade-in, random consigned 9mm, etc... $100 and you are into a trade-in G22? I'd get a G22.

I bet my old pariah PT111 is a hell of a gun compared to a C9. 10 rounds smaller than a G26 there's some stuff to like about it. DAO, double-strike, etc... I could bury it in a PVC tube or whatever.
Old 08-30-2018, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Removing the slide takes a punch? Wow, that'd be a deal breaker for most people I imagine.
Yup, the slide is attached to the frame with a roll pin. That was definitely a deal breaker for me, that and it looks literally like a piece of garbage. But im not judging anyone that buys one since a lot of people think Glocks are junk too. Look up "fieldstrip a hipoint" on youtube. I guess they arent really meant to be field stripped. Pretty much just a cheap gun you buy, maybe put one mag through it to verify it works, then go rob a liquor store, shoot somebody in a driveby with it, or sell it to a gangbanger in an alleyway. All nefarious activities I will never engage in.
Old 08-30-2018, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LOL, didn't you watch the videos FeuerFrei posted, It's a Hi Point no need to field strip just rinse with water. LOL

If shtf while your busy field stripping the SD9VE better have a guy with his Hi Point to protect you from the Oakland thug with a Hi Point. LOL
Old 08-30-2018, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LOL, didn't you watch the videos FeuerFrei posted, It's a Hi Point no need to field strip just rinse with water. LOL

If shtf while your busy field stripping the SD9VE better have a guy with his Hi Point to protect you from the Oakland thug with a Hi Point. LOL
You missed the point. Its not that I will need to fieldstrip an SD9VE but i like the fact that it can be fieldstripped like a normal semiauto handgun. And i dont live anywhere near Oakland or the SF bay area cesspool. Thats just basic common sense. You know, basic common sense, like not buying a chunk of garbage like a hipoint? Remember I already admitted I have low standards not zero standards. Owning a hipoint is negative standards, its actually below zero.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 3:47 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You missed the point. Its not that I will need to fieldstrip an SD9VE but i like the fact that it can be fieldstripped like a normal semiauto handgun. And i dont live anywhere near Oakland or the SF bay area cesspool. Thats just basic common sense. You know, basic common sense, like not buying a chunk of garbage like a hipoint? Remember I already admitted I have low standards not zero standards. Owning a hipoint is negative standards.
LOL as long as the chunk of garbage goes bang and hits where it's aimed is not zero standards especially when it'll do it when it is very dirty.

Oakland isn't the only place with thugs. I just used Oakland because it was mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-30-2018, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LOL as long as the chunk of garbage goes bang and hits where it's aimed is not zero standards especially when it'll do it when it is very dirty.

Oakland isn't the only place with thugs. I just used Oakland because it was mentioned in this thread.
I understand what you are saying but Im not some wackedout gangbanger from the Southside of Chicago that needs a cheap garbage gun that simply goes bang, just to go shoot up a bunch of kids playing basketball.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 4:02 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but Im not some wackedout gangbanger from the Southside of Chicago that needs a cheap garbage gun that simply goes bang, just to go shoot up a bunch of kids playing basketball.
You're not making sense.

Son of Sam used a Charter Arms for his murder spree, it doesn't mean that is what everyone uses a Charter Arms for.
Old 08-30-2018, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

If I was a Gang Banger, I'd use a Glock but toss the barrels.
Old 08-30-2018, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're not making sense.

Son of Sam used a Charter Arms for his murder spree, it doesn't mean that is what everyone uses a Charter Arms for.
I might buy a charter arms revolver. Hipoint? still no. Youre never going to convince me to buy one, sorry aint gonna ever happen.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 5:11 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Gangbangers arent exactly the most intelligent or savvy gun experts.
Old 08-30-2018, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What are the best handgun options on the roster to stash for SHTF?

Requirements:

1. Cheap <$400 preferably around $200.

2. Fairly reliable, doesnt need to last forever just needs to get you out of a jam.

3. Fairly accurate up to 10ft, not going to be used for combat, only as a last ditch effort to save life if accosted by looters/thugs up to no good. Most likely discharded at pointblank.

4. Won't be missed if it gets lost or confiscated at the FEMA camp.

5. Must be in 9mm, .38spl, .40, or .45 only. No .380, .32 or 10mm.

6. Bonus if its compact and relatively easy to conceal.

7. MUST BE ON THE ROSTER, DONT SUGGEST OFF ROSTER GUNS!

Here is what Im thinking:

M&P Shield
SD9VE
XD9
HiPoint C9
Armscor/RIA M206
Charter Arms Magpug, Undercover
Taurus 605, 85, 85 polymer
EAA Windicator

Not really that knowledgeable about cheap .38 revolver options so would like suggestions on those with 2"bbls.

Again, the purpose is something relatively affordable, compact, reliable, and accurate to 10ft in 9mm or .38spl that can be stashed and only used in a very up close and personal SHTF situation.
Quote:
I might buy a charter arms revolver. Hipoint? still no. Youre never going to convince me to buy one, sorry aint gonna ever happen.
What changed your mind about Hi Point from your original post?
Old 08-30-2018, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Gangbangers arent exactly the most intelligent or savvy gun experts.
What is the cost difference between a Glock and a spare barrel and 2 or 3 Hi Points?
Old 08-30-2018, 6:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What changed your mind about Hi Point from your original post?
Huh? Its on the list because it meets the basic criteria but I never said I would ever buy one.
Old 08-30-2018, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Huh? Its on the list because it meets the basic criteria but I never said I would ever buy one.
Does not meet your basic criteria if not willing to buy. Probably shouldn't have put you were thinking of it in first post if it doesn't meet your standards.
Old 08-30-2018, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Does not meet your basic criteria if not willing to buy. Probably shouldn't have put you were thinking of it in first post if it doesn't meet your standards.
Sorry you lost me there. But you win, whatever it is.

I did think of a scenario where i would buy a hipoint, if it came with a free Glock. Haha.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 7:38 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sorry you lost me there. But you win, whatever it is.
You saying it's a piece of garbage that you would not own, but it meets your basic criteria.
Old 08-30-2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
You saying it's a piece of garbage that you would not own, but it meets your basic criteria.
Yeah I've been trying to inject logic and reason myself- this is a thread fail. Police trade in Glock/Sig FTW.
Old 08-30-2018, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Its an exercise not just for me for others as well. Obviously just because I wouldnt buy one doesnt mean someone else wouldnt. Youre just trying to start a pissing contest now. Just move on. Nothing more for you to see here. If you dont understand the point of the thread thats perfectly fine. No sense in you wasting your tme.

The guns on the list meet the basic criteria of OPTIONS. Thats why its on the LIST. You know a list is usually made up of more than one OPTION or item? I prefer one of the other options on the list like the SD9VE or XD9. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Its really a pretty simple concept.

I can only deduce from your stubborness that you are simply baiting or trolling at this point as I really dont see how anyone could be that dense.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 8:02 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Its an exercise not just for me for others as well. Obviously just because I wouldnt buy one doesnt mean someone else wouldnt. Your trying to start a pissing contest now. Just move on. Nothing more for you to see here. If you dont understand the point of the thread thats perfectly fine. No sense in you wasting your tme.

The guns on the list meet the basic criteria of OPTIONS. Thats why its on the LIST. You know a list is usually made up of more than one OPTION or item? I prefer one of the other options on the list like the SD9VE or XD9. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Its really a pretty simple concept.
In all fairness you really cannot expect to post a thread and then try to control what others have to say about it. If someone has what they think is a better idea then isn't it in everyone's best interest to exchange ideas? With that I'm done with this thread. Good luck to you and your cheap guns in your SHTF scenario.
Old 08-30-2018, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
In all fairness you really cannot expect to post a thread and then try to control what others have to say about it. If someone has what they think is a better idea then isn't it in everyone's best interest to exchange ideas? With that I'm done with this thread. Good luck to you and your cheap guns in your SHTF scenario.
Bye Felicia.
Old 08-30-2018, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Its an exercise not just for me for others as well. Obviously just because I wouldnt buy one doesnt mean someone else wouldnt. Your trying to start a pissing contest now. Just move on. Nothing more for you to see here. If you dont understand the point of the thread thats perfectly fine. No sense in you wasting your tme.
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, but you have been trying to convince the readers of this thread that the Hi Point is garbage fit only for gang bangers. I've just been defending the Hi Point because it does fit your criteria of cheap, reliable, accurate, and "Won't be missed if it gets lost or confiscated at the FEMA camp."
Old 08-30-2018, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, but you have been trying to convince the readers of this thread that the Hi Point is garbage fit only for gang bangers. I've just been defending the Hi Point because it does fit your criteria of cheap, reliable, accurate, and "Won't be missed if it gets lost or confiscated at the FEMA camp."
Thats why I put it on the list. But just because its on the list of OPTIONS, doesnt mean its the "best" OPTION or the one I personally would choose over other OPTIONS. People should be big boys here and should be able to decide for themselves. Im simply stating that I would PERSONALLY NEVER buy a Hipoint. If somebody is so weak minded that they cant decide for themselves then thats their problem not mine. I PERSONALLY think Hipoints are ghetto garbage meant for gangbangers to shoot phonebooks and kids. Thats MY OPINION SEE MY DISCLAIMER BELOW. Dont take it too seriously, its the internet, no sense in you getting all butthurt because you cant talk me into buying a crummy hipoint with MY money.

Believe me, my intent was not to start a hipoint bashing thread at all. But you have to keep trying to make something out of nothing. Move on man. I agree to disagree. Id rather have something else than a hipoint. You have a problem with that. Too bad so sad, im sorry but i cant help you with that.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 8:19 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thats why I put it on the list. But just because its on the list of OPTIONS, doesnt mean its the "best" OPTION or the one I personally would choose over other OPTIONS. People should be big boys here and should be able to decide for themselves. Im simply stating that I would PERSONALLY NEVER buy a Hipoint. If somebody is so weak minded that they cant decide for themselves then thats their problem not mine. I PERSONALLY think Hipoints are ghetto garbage meant for gangbangers to shoot phonebooks and kids. Thats MY OPINION SEE MY DISCLAIMER BELOW. Dont take it too seriously, its the internet, no sense in you getting all butthurt because you cant talk me into buying a hipoint with MY money.
I'm not trying to talk you into buying a Hi Point. You said it. Its an exercise not just for you for others as well. Obviously just because you wouldn't buy one doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.
Quote:
Its an exercise not just for me for others as well. Obviously just because I wouldnt buy one doesnt mean someone else wouldnt.

Seems you're taking my opinion of defending the Hi Point personally.
Old 08-30-2018, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to talk you into buying a Hi Point. You said it. Its an exercise not just for you for others as well. Obviously just because you wouldn't buy one doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

Seems you're taking my opinion of defending the Hi Point personally.
Yeah sure, im taking your opinion, whatever you say, lets just move on now. You win again.

Last edited by lightcav; 08-30-2018 at 8:26 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah im taking your opinion, whatever you say, lets just move on now.
Ok lets move on from Hi Point. On your list which one would you not miss if it gets lost or confiscated at the FEMA camp?
Old 08-30-2018, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok lets move on from Hi Point. Of your list which one would you not miss if it gets lost or confiscated at the FEMA camp?
Any of them thats why they are all on the list.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Hi Point.

Couldn't resist. But I would choose Hi Point if I wanted several. If only 1-2 extra, Glock. The $200 price point is kind of unreasonable for anything BUT a Hi Point without some luck on the used market. I doubt you could find much of anything below $300.

The cheapest "acceptable" guns, meaning machined slides rather than cast would be SDVE, police trade Glocks (or any other brand), CW9 and the RIA revolvers. Of course, any used handgun that is a good price will suffice.

There's also some consideration for mag price and availability, parts commonality, usage commonality, etc. So if I typically carry a striker fired semi auto, stashing revolvers won't make sense, DA pistols to a lesser extent. A Polish P64 seems like a decent choice, but if you don't often shoot blowback DA subcompact pistols that use 9x18 it becomes less appealing overall, same with any other type of handgun

I think that's what makes the case for .40 police trade Glocks. Most of us own a Glock, the .40s are cheap and the ammo is more available in a panic buying situation like we saw a few years back. The mags are cheap, stupid cheap sometimes. They also come in three flavors, 22, 23 and 27. Plus the 22 mags work in a 23 and 27. What's not to love? You could buy a conversion barrel and stoke the .40s with 9mm if needed to utilize your supply of 9mm. Parts are cheap and easy to buy. Throw in a recoil spring and some small parts to keep it running if needed.
Old 08-31-2018, 1:45 PM

I didn't read the whole thread and voted with a few suggestions based on your list. But to me, the best high quality budget firearm are the always prevalent Glock Police Trade Ins. I don't care if it's in .40, for SHTF you could have a conversion barrel for 9mm.

My G22 police trade in is probably the best bang-for-buck gun I've ever bought.
Old 08-31-2018, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What is the cost difference between a Glock and a spare barrel and 2 or 3 Hi Points?
I used to pay $100 for barrels. I am comfortable with a Glock's reliability trigger, capacity, sights, etc... so if I had to toss a $150 C9 or a $100 Lone Wolf barrel... I'd rather keep my trusty Glock. But I'm pretty far from a gang banger, so it is moot.
Old 09-01-2018, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I used to pay $100 for barrels. I am comfortable with a Glock's reliability trigger, capacity, sights, etc... so if I had to toss a $150 C9 or a $100 Lone Wolf barrel... I'd rather keep my trusty Glock. But I'm pretty far from a gang banger, so it is moot.
Me too, but I can see where some gang bangers might not want to be caught with a gun even one with a missing barrel.

I didn't know Glock barrels were that cheap.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Me too, but I can see where some gang bangers might not want to be caught with a gun even one with a missing barrel.

I didn't know Glock barrels were that cheap.
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8152
Old 09-01-2018, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

CW9 would be an excellent choice.
Old 10-31-2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
Sig SP2022 is highly underrated and can be found for $400 and under
I always forget about this one. It gets my vote for a Glock 19 alternative.
Old 11-03-2018, 8:47 AM

police trade ins https://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/?price=90-400
Old 11-03-2018, 8:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks like the only thing on your list close to the $200 range is the RIA M206 - I am not familiar with it but am impressed by my RRI 1911. Reviews seem mixed - but ones like this would give me pause. https://homesteading-guide.com/rock-...volver-review/

Back in the day, you could get the EAA .357 or .38 Windicator for under $200 - probably the best bang for the buck pistol I own. Darn nice pistol - paid $179 out the door new.

Finances aside, all the pistols on your list should fit the bill, but I would agree with those who suggest that Police turn in Glocks or pump shotguns in your price range are probably a better route to go.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway

NRA - Endowment Member
CRPA - Life Member
Old 11-04-2018, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
Nobody I know wants to have a revolver (I have many) for SHTF.

I guess weíve never met. I would absolutely take a 4Ē 357 and not only that, it would be high on my list.

SHTF isnít going to be fallujah. It isnít some Wild West shoot out. You arenít going to need to pack 7 mags for your glock. Thereís this idea that itís going to be melee mode in call of duty or something. Hardly.

The mere presence of a gun will far more than suffice in most situations. Just having and if needed, brandishing, will take care of most problems. And a 357 has plenty of defensive capability. And it can take deer sized game, etc.

Iíd be more than happy to carry a 357. Now, can one be had for cheap? Not according to the original parameters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:45 AM

go on commercial sales on calguns and check out ...yzernie has some good prices
Old 11-08-2018, 2:57 PM

Rock Island/Citadel 1911 style in 45 acp. Get a spare slide with a 40 Cal breechface, and you can fit barrels from 9mm up to 40 & 10mm.
Pretty much cover any calibers one may run into.