Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-13-2021, 7:14 PM

Default Mossberg 590 Shockwave pump shotgun, anyone try it?

Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12 gauge pump shotgun, anyone try it? the 18 inch barrel is legal in Cali.
Mossberg is a good brand, I assume it good? How about the jam?

This gun is just the stock is just design weird, it like it round instead of square padding like the KSG.

How Mossberg gun in general? I only have experience with the Remington and KelTec shotgun.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

It's a fun novelty, friend has one. The best part is letting everyone else run a few shells through it. I shot about half a dozen pheasant loads through it, that was enough for me.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a 590 but it’s a regular one. That pistol grip doesn’t look comfortable to shoot.
Old 05-13-2021, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I can contribute this, at least it has the newer type of pistol grip because I know from personal experience the original Factory Mossberg pistol grips got uncomfortable after shooting all day ( especially if some of it was buckshot )
But more importantly I learned the lesson that your accuracy, on Moving targets at any reasonable distance, goes right out the window compared to a shotgun with a stock.
Old 05-13-2021, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

its better then the Mossberg manufactured pistol grip. fun for a few shots then the novelty wears off.

burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns
Old 05-13-2021, 8:13 PM

Are you going to use it inside a vehicle? Carry it under a coat? Are you in a movie and need to look extra tough? Do you hate your wrist? Then buy a shotgun with no stock.

OP. You need to graduate to boring guns. Go buy a regular Mossberg 500. Buy a 590 if you feel like spending extra money. Resist every urge to attach things to it. Mossbergs are reliable. The end.
Old 05-13-2021, 8:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 18" version seems pointless.

I own two Mossberg 590A1s and LOVE THEM.

I have played with pistol grip shotguns - they are a fun novelty for one or two outings but that is about it. Somewhere in a closet or my basement I have a couple of pistol grips for shotguns, but I have zero intention of ever installing them again.

The real Mossberg 590 Shockwave with the 14" barrel makes a lot more sense.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 05-13-2021, 10:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I have one. With standard 12 gauge ammo, it's no trouble to shoot as accurately as most folks will ever shoot a 12 gauge. I think at least one poster above needs to check their man card at the door... "Do you hate your wrist?" With the Opsol adapter and mini-shells, it's downright fun to shoot and carries 8+1 rounds. Add a laser if you think you're not up to using the Shockwave as demonstrated by Clint Smith.

On the other hand, an 18" barreled Shockwave really *is* a waste of time. Better to get a standard 590 and add a folding stock. Then install the Opsol adapter and use mini-shells if your delicate wrist can't handle a standard pistol grip.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 05-13-2021 at 10:42 PM..
Old 05-13-2021, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you should get a regular 500. If you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 PM
Praise the LORD!
CGN Contributor

Some friends and FFLs recommended skipping it and getting a 500 if desiring a Mossberg. Otherwise many recommend looking at Remington or Benellis.
Old 05-14-2021, 5:52 AM
retired Goon

IMO...
The only reason to get one is so that you can submit a Form 1 to the BATFE to make it into a Title 2 AOW.
After you get BATFE approval (6+ months later), you can then legally modify it so that it has a less than 18" barrel.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-14-2021, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComBlocAddict View Post
Are you going to use it inside a vehicle? Carry it under a coat? Are you in a movie and need to look extra tough? Do you hate your wrist? Then buy a shotgun with no stock.

OP. You need to graduate to boring guns. Go buy a regular Mossberg 500. Buy a 590 if you feel like spending extra money. Resist every urge to attach things to it. Mossbergs are reliable. The end.
Don't forget about being middle class guy from the east coast who moved to South Central LA in high school who earns riches singing songs about killing cops to one audience and playing a cop in a TV drama to another audience. If you're that guy, a Mossberg with a pistol grip makes sense.
Old 05-14-2021, 6:25 AM

I had a shockwave on a 500 at one time. Mainly to try it out. It is managable to shoot but not practical. When you factor in extending your arms to shoot, you are better off with a stock. Hip shooting gets old. As stated before, its really a good way in a free state to start the process for a sbs.

I also heard somewhere its Ice-T approved for album covers.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2021, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's probably handy to have with you in case of mostly peaceful protests, which can break out at any time as we have seen.
Old 05-14-2021, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I owned several over the years just because I like them and the birds head grip is much better than the pistol grip but still not as good as a full stock.

The basic full stock 18” Mossberg 500 in 20 ga is my favorite. I’ll sacrifice capacity for a shortest legal barrel length.

None of us will wear out a regular 500 so no need to get the 590A1. It’s much heavier and costs more.

I shot “thousands” thru my first model 500 and the receiver and barrel never wore out. I would say they are easily a lifetime gun, as-in you won’t need to buy another one.

Just get it in 20 ga so you’ll still enjoy shooting it when you’re 90!
Old 05-15-2021, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

"whip it" shotguns are cool for a time and then the user discovers the lack of utility because of less leverage to control it. You find hunting with them very limited too.

Mossberg 500/590 are basic meat and potatoes reliable. Easy to maintain and they just run and run.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-15-2021, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wat? Nobody buys a 590 Shockwave for hunting.
Old 05-15-2021, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's a novelty. Just like the Mossberg bullpup.
Old 05-15-2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I have one. With standard 12 gauge ammo, it's no trouble to shoot as accurately as most folks will ever shoot a 12 gauge. I think at least one poster above needs to check their man card at the door... "Do you hate your wrist?" With the Opsol adapter and mini-shells, it's downright fun to shoot and carries 8+1 rounds. Add a laser if you think you're not up to using the Shockwave as demonstrated by Clint Smith.

On the other hand, an 18" barreled Shockwave really *is* a waste of time. Better to get a standard 590 and add a folding stock. Then install the Opsol adapter and use mini-shells if your delicate wrist can't handle a standard pistol grip.
Dude calls out another poster and tells him to check him man card, then later goes on to talk about mini shells. Are you serious? Mini shells? Do you keep your purse full of them at the range?