Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-12-2021, 4:15 PM

Default Volquartsen 17hmr super light / optic?

Hey Guys,
I have a new rifle on the way and Iím researching optic choices.
I have several Leupold scopes (4.5x 14) that I can mount but Iím thinking of a red dot. Iíll mostly be walking and shooting jackrabbits and squirrels. Keeping it light is a consideration. Iím worried that a red dot may not give me the accuracy on a squirrel over 100-150 yards. I know theyíre used a lot on ARís but Iím dealing with a small target. Any experience on a red dot mounted on a 17hmr Iíd appreciate.
Thank you
Old 05-14-2021, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

I used rd sights on 22 plinkers and NEVER on a hunting 22/17hmr.

I always use a good scope and have settled on a 4x12 variable for my 17/22 rifles for culling the rats. They are pests, but I still want a clean kill.

Scopes combined with an accurate load and a steady rifle has a greater chance of delivering a knock out blow with less suffering. RD sights just aren't that precise at 75-150 yds.

I have both a Savage and CZ in 17hmr and those rifles in that caliber are lights out accurate/precise, but the heavy lifting is done with my little Savage Mk2 fvsr 22 using subsonics in all of it's basic no frills factory form. Just added the 4x12 scope.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Thank you for getting back to me, that’s what I was thinking. I guess I have a urge to play around with a red dot, I’m thinking of getting a inexpensive RD for a 10/22 for plinking and I’ll mount the Leupold on the Volquartsen 17hmr. For hunting.
I really appreciate your time FeuerFrei
Old 05-14-2021, 12:36 PM

I use a Vortex 6 X 24 on my Volquartsen 17 WSM. Way too much scope, but it does work well for ground squirrels. I usually have it around 10X most of the time. When we go shoot squirrels its from a stationary position. I agree the red dot may not be accurate enough for the longer 100+ yard shots.

On my CZ 17 HMR's I have 4X12 and a 4X16 scope. It works just fine. Mostly set on 8x to 10x.
Old 05-14-2021, 4:40 PM

Thx oddjob, I’ve heard nothing but great things about the CZ’s
Old 05-14-2021, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCabe View Post
Thank you for getting back to me, thatís what I was thinking. I guess I have a urge to play around with a red dot, Iím thinking of getting a inexpensive RD for a 10/22 for plinking and Iíll mount the Leupold on the Volquartsen 17hmr. For hunting.
I really appreciate your time FeuerFrei
That sounds like a plan.

Go get'em!!!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-14-2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCabe View Post
Thx oddjob, Iíve heard nothing but great things about the CZís

I've shot thousands of squirrels with my CZ 17HMR's. If CZ made one in 17WSM I'd jump on it. I do have a 17 Hornet by CZ and its a great varmint rifle.

good luck!!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:28 PM

Thanks guys