Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-21-2022, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Default CMP Rack grade

I liked the two I received well enough to spin the wheel and order two more. Wish me luck!!!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 09-21-2022, 10:54 AM

I just put together my packet for my first, since I was doing one for the 1911. Hope it’s not awful.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:05 AM

I was very lucky with the two I received other than the wood on one of them. If I wasn't at my CMP limit for the year Id order more, but it's like playing Russian roulette, I've seen some that were just horrible, barrels not even round any more due to corrosion, pitting so bad the receiver legs look like their ready to break off. But even so could probably part it out for your investment and maybe a little more.
Old 09-21-2022, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
I was very lucky with the two I received other than the wood on one of them. If I wasn't at my CMP limit for the year Id order more, but it's like playing Russian roulette, I've seen some that were just horrible, barrels not even round any more due to corrosion, pitting so bad the receiver legs look like their ready to break off. But even so could probably part it out for your investment and maybe a little more.
Maybe I got lucky as well. I received a decent WWI era SA with lock bar sights an a nice SA/NFR cartouched stock, and a lesser but still decent HRA with pretty crappy wood that was easily refurbished and put to presentable shape. The HRA had a lot of surface rust on various bits like the butt plate and ferrule/swivels, but cleaned up well.

Both had good bores, and shot well.

Maybe I beat the odds and should quit while I'm ahead, but I just gotta spin the wheel one more time.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 09-21-2022, 2:02 PM

I'd spin the wheel until I got burnt. Even then like I said I'm sure it can be sold to recover your investments or possibly a little more for the trouble.

Last edited by brianm767; 09-22-2022 at 5:54 AM..
Old 09-21-2022, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

That's what I'm thinking. Hell - even a crapped out one should be worth $650. I saw rack grades selling at the last show for $1,200. Not asking, selling.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:10 AM

I wound up changing my order to an Expert. Was set for a rack…until I saw the latest set of pictures from this week on rack grades. One guy had a bulged barrel, another with the bore so worn that he dropped an entire cartridge down the barrel from the muzzle, and a third with literally roofing nails instead of screws. Not sure those odds are worth playing, especially since I’m not looking for a project.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:32 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Expert is the way to go if you want one you can be sure of being able to shoot. They're still probably below market value in price.
Old 09-22-2022, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Expert is the way to go if you want one you can be sure of being able to shoot. They're still probably below market value in price.
Way below. Around here, Service Grade level rifles are selling (not asking, selling) in the $1,800 range.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Sent the order in on 9/21, order was acknowledged on 9/26. Serial numbers 269891 and 667985 headed my way on 9/27 for delivery tomorrow. Looks like I'm getting a pair of WWII era Springfield's, July 1941 and June 1942, respectively.

I asked for minimal pitting and decent bores. We''l see what shows up.

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-28-2022 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-28-2022, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

The OP has the M1 Garand Fever for sure.
Old 09-29-2022, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
The OP has the M1 Garand Fever for sure.
LOL. I got my first Garand way back when the DCM was selling them. One per lifetime was all folks were allowed, and it took 18 months to get it. When was that - something like 30 years ago?

Since then, I've bought and sold several, and right now have collected the set - Springfield, HRA, IHC, and Winchester. I even have a CMP issued M1-D (but no "C"). Anymore, I just like to tinker with them, and then there's the gambler's thrill now with the rack grades. I did well once, so I just had to press my bet.

The house and cars are paid for, the kid is grown and through college (debt-free), the hooker scene ain't what it used to be, and there's no blow around here to do. What else am I gonna go with my money?

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-29-2022 at 7:03 AM..