Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Reloading Sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Reloading Sales Private Sale or Trade of reloading supplies and equipment.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 PM

Default Progressive shotgun reloader

Thinking about loading shotgun for SASS and need a progressive press. Any info on pros and cons of what to get would be appreciated
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM

I love my MEC 9000 - got it used from a supply store that refurbishes them, and got a big discount from new retail. They are very well built and should last years, if not a lifetime.

One of the big questions/decision points is whether you are loading single or multiple gauges? For me, I’m only doing 12 gauge and stick with 1 1/8 loads for trap/skeet/clays, so it works out well.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
COVID survivor - ain?t gonna get pricked!
Old 01-20-2019, 1:02 PM

Tunaman---I don't know much about MEC's. I am planning on loading 12 gauge for SASS but I do have other calibers so want something that I can change calibers. MEC has a lot of machines on their site but trying to figure out which ones are convertible
Old 01-20-2019, 1:15 PM

Having multiple calibers, you may want to look at the Dillon press then as it uses the same toolhead concept as their centerfire presses? I use a Dillon 550B for my pistol and rifle cartridges, and the interchangeability of the toolheads is a great feature.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
COVID survivor - ain?t gonna get pricked!
Old 01-21-2019, 6:16 AM
Veteran Member

Buy your self a Ponsness Warren and never look back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QddGaJRObY8
Old 01-23-2019, 5:15 AM

My vote goes to the Dillon SL900. The design is awesome and it proves it to me everytime I load on mine. Its so efficient and has features that no other shotshell press has. It is convertible, and the only drawback I have with this press is that it can not do 410. I use a Ponsness 800 plus for that. I chose it because of design and this is the most substantial, efficient press that provides the most hull support. If you've loaded 410 on a shell plate press then you know the wobbliness as the hull goes around. The hull is supported entirely from the base up to the crimp. The way this press works isn't like the other presses making it unique and very interesting to load on. The biggest thing here is efficiency. No wasted movement. It is convertible as well, if you want convertible look for the "plus" model.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you get!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 6:56 AM

My .02 would be a Hornady 366 Auto Progressive Shotshell Press. I've been a satisfied Hornady owner for years (as well as other manufacturers) and they are a company that makes great products and completely stands behind their products (as do other vendors mentioned in this thread). Just throwing out another option to consider. Just like with any manufacturer, you're going to have lower end products (e.g., Mec - and absolutely nothing wrong with them) and on the other end of the spectrum more feature rich and expensive offerings (e.g., Hornady, Dillon, etc.).
Old 01-24-2019, 5:19 AM

MEC's are not gauge convertible, but, they are cheap enough that you can buy one of each.
Hoping you just wish to have the ABILITY to reload or make up special loads?
You are not going to save money loading 12 or 20 gauge compared to what Wal Mart charges for a box of shells. 28 and .410 is a different story though.
Old 01-30-2019, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

+1 for a Ponsness press. Simply awesome.

The problem with the 366 is with the sizing station. It is separate from the loading function. Quite annoying.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 01-30-2019, 5:34 PM

OK, the best, the Spolar

Machine is $2000, come with one gauge
Each gauge conversion is about $400 --> 4 gauges make it about $3200, similar to MEC.
Add a hydraulic is about $1500
Old 01-30-2019, 7:02 PM

I always did find it funny that people scoff at the price of the Spolar but then will drop the same money buying 4 MEC 9000's. The Spolar is awesome. They're a little over an hour away from LA too. One thing to get used to with the pw and the spolar is they don't have hull sensing dropsand you have to toggle the shot & powder when starting out. When I first used my PW I was dropping shot and powder all over the place haaha. The Dillon is smart and wont drop components without a hull. But its weakness is priming. Sometimes I dont get a primer and then the powder just trickles everywhere.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk