Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-08-2022, 1:46 PM

Hey out of curiosity whats the fastest time you guys have seen someone get their CCW’s for COCO county? From start to finish. Cause i’m going through concord PD and they’re moving cocaine fast. If you guys wanna see my progress and timeline so far check out the CITY OF CONCORD discussion that i started.
Old 12-08-2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_FEMALE_MAN View Post
Hey out of curiosity whats the fastest time you guys have seen someone get their CCW’s for COCO county? From start to finish. Cause i’m going through concord PD and they’re moving cocaine fast. If you guys wanna see my progress and timeline so far check out the CITY OF CONCORD discussion that i started.
I don't know anyone active on the forums who has gotten their license since Bruen. I think approvals from different issuing agencies are going to mirror the race to finish Human Genome project.
In the sense that people who waited and applied with cities or other IA's month's after Bruen are going to get approved at the same time as the people who applied to the county immediately after Bruen.
Old 12-08-2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
That's who I used.

They are VERY picky about the holster that you use for your "practice" gun. Make sure it's a kydex holster. No leather or nylon. They don't care so much about the holster that you use for qualification, but no iwb holsters.

Also, make sure you have electronic hearing protection.
I spoke to Denise today. Apparently you don't need a holster for the single day training as they don't do live fire from holster draw in the 8hr course. Only the two day, 16hr course has it. So I can at least avoid buying holsters I wouldn't use more than once.
Old 12-08-2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmew1 View Post
I spoke to Denise today. Apparently you don't need a holster for the single day training as they don't do live fire from holster draw in the 8hr course. Only the two day, 16hr course has it. So I can at least avoid buying holsters I wouldn't use more than once.
I took the 16 hour course (Not 8 hour) from another trainer (Expert Firearms - Roy Bryson). The course was well presented and covered a great deal. The qual section was thorough and I passed. Wondering now, would the 16 hour course also satisfy the required 8 hour course for CoCo? I assumed it would, as it does end in a CCW certificate for other counties. Does anyone know the answer to this? Sure hope I haven't forced myself to take a third (incl. CoCo) qualification test.

Note: Expert Firearms did complete the CoCo Attestation for me.
Old 12-08-2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackharper View Post
I took the 16 hour course (Not 8 hour) from another trainer (Expert Firearms - Roy Bryson). The course was well presented and covered a great deal. The qual section was thorough and I passed. Wondering now, would the 16 hour course also satisfy the required 8 hour course for CoCo? I assumed it would, as it does end in a CCW certificate for other counties. Does anyone know the answer to this? Sure hope I haven't forced myself to take a third (incl. CoCo) qualification test.

Yes, it does. I'm in process with both Concord and CoCoSO. I sent the 16 hour course paperwork to Pete and they accepted it.
Old 12-08-2022, 7:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Good news. Know that anyone that's had a handgun for couple years always has a box of holsters they've bought and not quite discarded.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. I'm in process with both Concord and CoCoSO. I sent the 16 hour course paperwork to Pete and they accepted it.
Thanks, Ron. Good luck on Saturday
Old 12-08-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I would think that worst case scenario you could go back to Expert Firearms with your course completition certificate from them and ask them to sign the CoCo County paperwork. I'm sure they would be willing to sign that paperwork too. Unless it's super far to drive.

Although Ron mentioned they accepted his paperwork.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
I would think that worst case scenario you could go back to Expert Firearms with your course completition certificate from them and ask them to sign the CoCo County paperwork. I'm sure they would be willing to sign that paperwork too. Unless it's super far to drive.

Although Ron mentioned they accepted his paperwork.
Yeah, thanks. They did sign the paperwork (Attestation) but marked it as a 16 hour course, not an 8 hour. I have since checked and have learned that this satisfies CoCo requirements.
Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:39 PM

Sorry for the endless stream of questions, but it's better to know than to hope. I read that we will need to reload after each string of fire (5, 7, 10 yards). First question I have is; can a reload be as simple as changing to a full magazine, or do we have to physically reload one mag? Second question is, can we begin a string of fire with one in the chamber, or do we have to cock/load during , for example, the 5 seconds?
Old 12-09-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the endless stream of questions, but it's better to know than to hope. I read that we will need to reload after each string of fire (5, 7, 10 yards). First question I have is; can a reload be as simple as changing to a full magazine, or do we have to physically reload one mag? Second question is, can we begin a string of fire with one in the chamber, or do we have to cock/load during , for example, the 5 seconds?
Pretty sure you start with a round in the chamber. when you finish a string of fire, you load a new magazine, rack the slide and re-holster. Then on to the next round. Bring three magazines with 6 rounds in each. Guys that did the actual qualification with the CCSO can validate though.
Old 12-09-2022, 8:18 PM

Thanks. Any folks taking the qual this weekend might be able to confirm.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:32 PM

Hi Guys - I'm a little confused on the section 7 (Interviewer's notes). On the web page prior to opening the form it says

https://www.cocosheriff.org/how-do-i...r-a-ccw-permit

"Complete Section 7 (Investigator’s Interview Notes, pp. 9-10).......An investigator will not contact you to complete Section 7. Please complete this section yourself. "

But on the actual form when you open it and start working through it, it says "Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
3. Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless
specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency"

So I"m totally confused on what sections I'm supposed to fill out. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2022, 7:20 AM

Just follow the Sheriff's actual instructions.
Old 12-10-2022, 8:12 AM

san mateo county CCW article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVf...BC7NewsBayArea
Old 12-10-2022, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo9mm View Post
Wow. just wow. Imagine that, a corrupt Sheriff.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:20 AM

Too bad they didn have any info on CCC Sheriff's numbers and The Posse.
Old 12-10-2022, 1:50 PM

Good luck to all those doing their qualification shoot this weekend!

Old 12-10-2022, 3:48 PM

Default qualification passed

Happy to share I met with our friend Ron Jeremy this morning at the sheriff's range for the qualification, and not only did both of us PASSED but I also had the pleasure of sharing lunch and enjoying a great conversation with him.

I expect Ron to write up later today with some tips about the qualification test, and I may add some colors later too.

For now, I'd say we may have gotten a little lucky as it was pouring rain during the test, so the range officer cut us a lil break by allowing drawing with the hand ready on the gun before the timer started. Other than that, I'd highly recommend folks bring three mags and load each with six rounds only. While not strictly necessary, it'd probably suck having to go back to the table to load mag after a string of fire.

The whole qualification for my two pistols took no longer than 20 minutes, I'd guess.

Let's wait for Ron's testimonial, as with his wisdom, I expect his write up to be much more insightful than this one. Thanks my new friend, for all the guidance in this public forum! I wouldn't be at the qualification today without your help in many opportunities.

Also wanted to thank Rachel for her work and diligence on this matter. A healthy democracy only exists when people like you step up. Congrats once again, and have my respect!
Old 12-10-2022, 4:05 PM

today was a really good day! And it's not over yet.

I met fellow CoCo Calgunner Lambo9mm at the Sheriff's range on Marsh Creek. We did the qualification and then had lunch in Clayton.

I arrived first. Pete's email instructed me to be at range #3 at 11AM. I pulled into the parking lot at 10:30. At about 10:40 I saw guys with range bags walking that way, so I grabbed mine and joined them.
It was awkward. 4 guys, and then a woman, standing under a gazebo with our range bags on a table, but nobody was talking. I tried some small talk, but got short, businesslike replies. They had all done this before, and they were not there to socialize. The rangemaster (Kevin) arrived and announced the procedure. Again, no friendly chit-chat, just business. It was pouring rain. The table was under a gazebo, but we'd be shooting in the rain.
We hung our targets and started on the 5 yard line. 6 rounds in 5 seconds. We were all wearing jackets, and he let us start with our hands on our guns. Shot that round, dropped mags, reloaded, and reholstered. Stepped back to the 7 yard line and shot those 6 in 10 seconds. Then to the 10 yard line for 6 more in 15 seconds.
It wasn't my best marksmanship, but I'd never shot in rain before. Still, I passed easily.
Then I did it with my second gun.
We had started a few minutes early. Lambo arrived right at 11, so he missed the first round. He had a second gun to qualify with, so Kevin gave me paperwork to do while he qualified Lambo on his second gun.

We wrapped up business with Kevin and drove into Clayton for lunch at Ed's. Lambo treated me to lunch. Thank you!

We debriefed and both had the following observations and tips:

Kevin, like Pete and Ron, was friendly and helpful. He also intimated that he's not happy about the change in the CCW law. He didn't say it, but Lambo and I agreed later that his body language told us a lot when I started asking him questions. I was tempted to ask him some of the things that we all want to know: exactly how many people have qualified for a CCW in the last 6 months for the first time? How many are not retired LEO? I still need my paperwork with his signature to get to Pete's desk. It would be a shame if it got lost in the mail. I'll leave the investigative reporter stuff to Rachel.

Here's our advice to the next Calgunner going out there:
1) take three magazines. Pete told me in an email that he recommended three, but that if I only had two for one gun, that was okay. Don't be "that guy" with 2. You are shooting in a group of people. You empty a mag, drop it, and go to the next stage. Kevin, the rangemaster was friendly and helpful. He's also not going to like "that guy" who has to go back to the gazebo to load a magazine.
2) Lambo and I didn't talk about this, so hopefully he'll chime in. Arrive at the facility with your holster on your hip (empty), and put your empty gun in it in the parking lot. When I walked up to the table, my guns were in my range bag. Everyone else had them on their hips. Kevin didn't want me handling it at the common table. He had me go to the next range to unbox my guns and put them in the holsters.

Let me know if you have more specific questions. Pete should have our paperwork by the middle of next week. Lambo and I are hoping that we get our cards soon after.
Old 12-10-2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
2) Lambo and I didn't talk about this, so hopefully he'll chime in. Arrive at the facility with your holster on your hip (empty), and put your empty gun in it in the parking lot. When I walked up to the table, my guns were in my range bag. Everyone else had them on their hips. Kevin didn't want me handling it at the common table. He had me go to the next range to unbox my guns and put them in the holsters.
This sounds like I'm going to be forced to buy OWB holsters for both my Guns, which is bull****. I've already spent a lot of money finding AIWB holsters that are comfortable with my unusual proportions.
CA Background: 8/18/22
FBI Background: 8/18/22
Firearms Background: 8/19/22
Old 12-10-2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTyrant View Post
This sounds like I'm going to be forced to buy OWB holsters for both my Guns, which is bull****. I've already spent a lot of money finding AIWB holsters that are comfortable with my unusual proportions.
If one of your guns is a S&W Shield, I'll loan you a holster.

That offer extends to any CoCo Calgunner.
Old 12-10-2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:

Congratulations on passing the qual and thank you for sharing the info.

What is the process for changing from your first gun/holster to the second gun/holster?

I'm assuming you're not wearing both guns on your belt at once.
Old 12-10-2022, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Quote:
If one of your guns is a S&W Shield, I'll loan you a holster.

That offer extends to any CoCo Calgunner.

I’ve got holsters for an XD and a 1911. Let me know via PM and we can meet up.

Also, check out KTMech holsters. Relatively inexpensive and quick turnaround. You can opt for a quicker turnaround (albeit at additional cost).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 12-10-2022, 8:28 PM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithinReason View Post
6/27: I submitted my application in person to the Sheriff Dept.
8/7: My Livescan was processed.
9/12: I requested a status update and received a reply that I am #113 in the queue.
In late November I received a call from the Sheriff Department to schedule my interview.

My interview was held in the first week of December. It was positive, upbeat, and professional. The questions were the same ones covered earlier in this thread. I was told I should be notified within 30 days whether my application was approved.
Old 12-10-2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder View Post
Congratulations on passing the qual and thank you for sharing the info.

What is the process for changing from your first gun/holster to the second gun/holster?

I'm assuming you're not wearing both guns on your belt at once.
No. One at a time.

After we shot the final 6 we were told to hold the guns pointed down range with the actions open. The range master checked that each gun was empty. We went back to the table and put them in the range bags.
The range master told me to go to the next range to switch holsters and put the 2nd gun in empty
Old 12-11-2022, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Everyone who has owned a handgun for more than 15 minutes has a box of no less than 4-5 discarded holsters. Put up your make/model weapon and see who offers up one.
Old 12-11-2022, 7:03 AM

Quote:

Here's our advice to the next Calgunner going out there:
1) take three magazines. Pete told me in an email that he recommended three, but that if I only had two for one gun, that was okay. Don't be "that guy" with 2. You are shooting in a group of people. You empty a mag, drop it, and go to the next stage. Kevin, the rangemaster was friendly and helpful. He's also not going to like "that guy" who has to go back to the gazebo to load a magazine.

Let me know if you have more specific questions. Pete should have our paperwork by the middle of next week. Lambo and I are hoping that we get our cards soon after.
Hey, Ron! Thanks for the information. Here are 2 questions:

1. Did you wear 2 belts? (Your gun belt over your pants belt.)

2. Did you wear magazine carriers on your gun belt along with your holster?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-11-2022, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithinReason View Post
Hey, Ron! Thanks for the information. Here are 2 questions:

1. Did you wear 2 belts? (Your gun belt over your pants belt.)

2. Did you wear magazine carriers on your gun belt along with your holster?

Thanks again for your help.
I didn't wear a gun belt over my regular belt. I'm not sure anyone else did, either.
I intend to get some magazine carriers, but it's not necessary. I just kept the magazines in my pockets.

Another thing to discuss is dropping the mags on the ground when you reload. I was taught to do that in my CCW class. If you are in a gunfight, your priority is to reload quickly. But we were outside in the rain. I didn't want to drop my mags in the mud. I noticed that the LEOs that we were qualifying with dropped theirs in the mud. I suggest that you drop yours on the ground too, even if it's in the mud. You can clean them later. You will impress the rangemaster as someone who has been properly trained.
Old 12-11-2022, 5:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Just give them a call and ask. Let us know what they say.

Antioch PD does issue. https://www.antiochca.gov/police/con...-carry-weapon/

Brentwood PD has applications and will take it but send it to sheriff.

Clayton PD does not issue.

Concord PD does not issue.

Danville PD does not issue.

Lafayette PD is run by Sheriff.

Orinda PD is run by Sheriff.

Pleasant Hill PD does not issue.

Richmond PD does issue. From #10 on their FAQs page:

Walnut Creek PD does not issue.
Giving this 2022 June 27 post of mine a bump. If someone has some spare time they could expand and update it. (Concord now issues. WC is rumored to issue. Richmond may have stopped.)
Old 12-11-2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't wear a gun belt over my regular belt. I'm not sure anyone else did, either.
I intend to get some magazine carriers, but it's not necessary. I just kept the magazines in my pockets.

Another thing to discuss is dropping the mags on the ground when you reload. I was taught to do that in my CCW class. If you are in a gunfight, your priority is to reload quickly. But we were outside in the rain. I didn't want to drop my mags in the mud. I noticed that the LEOs that we were qualifying with dropped theirs in the mud. I suggest that you drop yours on the ground too, even if it's in the mud. You can clean them later. You will impress the rangemaster as someone who has been properly trained.
There were no issues with having IWB holsters right? Even though you guys did not fire from a holster draw

Last edited by bdmew1; 12-11-2022 at 6:49 PM..
Old 12-11-2022, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Wait, was your qual combined with the LEO qual?

Quote:
I noticed that the LEOs that we were qualifying with dropped theirs in the mud.
Old 12-11-2022, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, unless something changed this would only apply if you're there only to qual (did the classroom/training somewhere else). If you are having to sit through the classroom portion first then they'll want the gun bagged to start.

Quote:
2) Lambo and I didn't talk about this, so hopefully he'll chime in. Arrive at the facility with your holster on your hip (empty), and put your empty gun in it in the parking lot.
Old 12-11-2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Wait, was your qual combined with the LEO qual?
No. I probably should not have used that term. I assume that the other 4 people there are retired LEO based on their demeanor. They were there to renew their CCWs.
Old 12-11-2022, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Just to clarify, unless something changed this would only apply if you're there only to qual (did the classroom/training somewhere else). If you are having to sit through the classroom portion first then they'll want the gun bagged to start.
According to the Range Master, this will be the case moving forward. He said that this weekend's CCW class would be the last. Moving forward, the Sheriff is outsourcing CCW training.

Just to be clear, I arrived at the table with my guns bagged. It turns out that I (and possibly Lambo) was the only one. The "veterans" had their empty guns in holsters. The range master was polite, but gave me this look like "how do you not know the drill"?

I sent Pete an email suggesting that he make the protocol crystal clear. I got the impression that the range master is not used to dealing with non-LEOs, and isn't looking forward to the new reality.

Last edited by Ron Jeremey; 12-11-2022 at 8:20 PM..
Old 12-11-2022, 11:02 PM

I noticed on the website that no lights, lasers, or red dots are accepted. Do you guys know if this only means you cannot use any of those items for the qualification, or is it illegal to carry a gun with a light or red dot on it?

"Firearms with attached laser sights, flashlights, red dots, and sighting systems are not acceptable. Glow in the dark or luminescent sights are acceptable."

"Firearms which have been modified, including modifications to triggers, slides, safety mechanisms, and magazine releases are not approved."
Old 12-12-2022, 6:08 AM

Quote:
There were no issues with having IWB holsters right? Even though you guys did not fire from a holster draw
We did fire from holster draw.

Here's the exact email that I received from Pete, regarding what to expect:

You are scheduled to a a range qualification which is part of the permitting process. The qualification will allow you to demonstrate safe and competent handling and firing of your firearm(s).

Your firearms will also be inspected for compliance with Office of the Sheriff standards for firearms listed on concealed carry weapon permits.

Office of the Sheriff staff will conduct the firearms inspection and range qualification course.

After your successful completion of the qualification, Office of the Sheriff staff will contact you to obtain permit fee payment and finalize issuance of the permit.

Note: Despite successful completion of the qualification, a CCW applicant is not authorized to lawfully carry a concealed firearm until the permit card is actually in the permittee’s possession. Completion of the qualification is only a step in the issuance of a permit.

Date: Saturday, December 10, 2022 Time: 11 a.m.

Location: Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff Law Enforcement Training Center (LETC) Range

12000 Marsh Creek Road

Clayton, CA 94517

925-673-8404

You can meet the instructor on Range # 3. You should not have to enter a classroom or building but if you do so, please abide by the following safety rules:

ONLY UNLOADED FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED INSIDE A CLASSROOM.
MAGAZINES ARE NOT ALLOWED INSIDE A CLASSROOM.
AMMUNITION IS NOT ALLOWED INSIDE A CLASSROOM.

What to bring with you:

• Pen (You will note your firearm’s make, model, caliber, and serial number on a form. The handguns on a permit are reported to the Department of Justice.)

• Photo Identification

• The handgun(s) you will be authorized to carry under your permit. The Office of the Sheriff does not normally authorize more than two handguns for a permit.

• Note: “Single Action Only” handguns are not approved for CCW permits. For example, the Colt Model 1911 semi auto pistol is not an approved firearm. Any manufacturer’s variant of a 1911 pistol is not

an approved firearm for a CCW permit.

Striker fire handguns, e.g., Glocks, are acceptable firearms for a permit.
• Firearms with attached laser sights, reflex sights, red dots and flashlights are not approved for a CCW permit.

Modified firearms, including slide modifications, trigger modifications, magazine release modifications, and safety modifications are not approved for permits.
• For semi-automatic pistols, it’s preferred that you have three magazines.

• For revolvers, it’s preferred that you have two speed loaders. This will allow for a timely completion of the range qualification.

• Holster(s) & belt: Holsters must properly fit each handgun and fit on the hip.

• Shoulder, cross draw, small of the back and ankle holsters are not permitted on the range for qualification.

• Ear & eye protection.

AMMUNITION:

• 18 rounds of factory loaded or commercially manufactured ammunition for each handgun to qualify.

QUALIFICATION DISTANCES AND TIMES:

5 yards, 6 rounds in 5 seconds
7 yards, 6 rounds in 10 seconds
10 yards, 6 rounds in 15 seconds

*6 rounds are fired at each distance, unless the pistol only holds 5.

ATTIRE:

The LETC range is an outdoor facility. Please consider the weather when choosing attire. Please note that red hats and shirts, worn by range class attendees, are discouraged as red is the color worn by facility instructors. Open toed shoes and flip flops are not permitted. Pants, as opposed to shorts, are preferred.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 925-655-0063 or by e-mail at ccwpermits@so.cccounty.us

Pete Enea, Specialist

Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff

1850 Muir Road

Martinez, CA 94553

(925) 655-0063
Old 12-12-2022, 6:20 AM

Note that he says that firearms will be inspected for compliance with policy.
No red dots or lasers are allowed per policy, so I assume that no, you can't qualify with them.
The email says that holsters have to fit on the hip. Other emails I've received from him specifically say OWB holsters.
Nobody else on the range had an IWB holster (that I could see). As I think Lambo will attest, the range master had an attitude of a man who is used to dealing with people who know the drill and abide by the norms of the range. I would definitely not want to be "that guy" who pushes his seemingly good nature. I would consider an OWB holster a small price to pay to not push my luck with him.
Old 12-12-2022, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Giving this 2022 June 27 post of mine a bump. If someone has some spare time they could expand and update it. (Concord now issues. WC is rumored to issue. Richmond may have stopped.)
Pete Enea is related to Rich Enea, who has worked for Clayton PD for a long time. My guess is that Clayton residents will be referred to the Sheriff, but might get bumped in line.
Old 12-12-2022, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Note that he says that firearms will be inspected for compliance with policy.
No red dots or lasers are allowed per policy, so I assume that no, you can't qualify with them.
The email says that holsters have to fit on the hip. Other emails I've received from him specifically say OWB holsters.
Nobody else on the range had an IWB holster (that I could see). As I think Lambo will attest, the range master had an attitude of a man who is used to dealing with people who know the drill and abide by the norms of the range. I would definitely not want to be "that guy" who pushes his seemingly good nature. I would consider an OWB holster a small price to pay to not push my luck with him.
I know we can't qualify with red dot or light attached. But do you, or anyone else, know the law of actually carrying a gun with red dot or light? Is it illegal to carry a non-standard handgun with the attachments? If so, that's pretty weak. Why would they remove red dot if someone shoots more accurately with them?