Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2281  
Old 12-05-2022, 8:11 AM
JDHCA JDHCA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 104
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casoobaru View Post
Thank you very much
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2282  
Old 12-05-2022, 9:24 AM
NorCalBusa NorCalBusa is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,065
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

We're torturing the language by calling something "approved, pending xyz"- that ain't approved at all.

We ought focus on "In my hand"!

(Issued and need to go get is nonsense, we'd all be down there before the phone stopped rattling in the cradle* from hanging up.

*ask an old guy if you don't follow the reference)
Reply With Quote
  #2283  
Old 12-05-2022, 1:19 PM
jigendaisuke jigendaisuke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 36
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just wrote an email to CRPA. Called them and asked them for any info they might have regarding any potential legal action and Katy forwarded me to this page: https://crpa.org/programs/litigation-program/

Says nothing about CoCo County. So here's what I replied with.

Quote:

Hi Katy,

Thanks for the link. However it doesn’t say anything regarding taking any potential legal action against Contra Costa County. Is the CRPA not planning to take any legal action against Contra Costa County for their inability to abide by the Bruen ruling (June 23rd, 2022)?

Many of us here are on month 6+ of waiting to be contacted for an interview. as I’m sure you’ve heard, which is in direct violation of the 90 day/30 day notice as required by California Penal Code 26205. Some people that are applying haven't even heard anything at all regarding their application.

CRPA's "FINAL WARNING" was released on September 20th, 2022. I'm obviously not trying to seem like beggars can't be choosers here, but there is clear documented abuse taking place here and no matter what David Livingston's PR team will put out, it is clear that this sort of negligent behavior was premeditated and is being done on purpose. Page 30 of the Bruen ruling states

"That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry."

For at LEAST the past 40 years, CoCo County's Citizens are being, and have been being denied, their right to carry. It's not a secret. Now that they are not allowed to deny us the way that they used to, instead of being in compliance with the law, they are attempting to drag this out as long as possible, putting arbitrary wait times that are in complete defiance of both California Penal Code 26205, as well as the Supreme Court itself. Is this not what CRPA was warning against in its "Final Warning"?

For the average citizen, such as myself, who just wants to be able to carry a firearm for lawful, self-defense purposes, what are we expected to do (or believe?) when CRPA, who has been advertising "Join Club 58!" (https://twitter.com/CRPAnews/status/...C40Yq7p60sAAAA) ever since the Bruen Ruling, refuses to follow up on its "Final Warning"? Is it a case of all bark and no bite? Or is there something that is going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of?

We here in Contra Costa County are desperate for some sort of clarity. We are working with a reporter for the East Bay News Group regarding this exact story, and the only reason that David Livingston even released a PR statement regarding the CCW situation was to get ahead of this story. Otherwise, it would have continued to be radio silence and the same, tired "we are overwhelmed with applicants" excuses that they've been making since the day of the Bruen ruling.

Please let me know of any information that you can divulge regarding Contra Costa County.

Thank you.
I know it's a little messy but I wrote it in about 5 minutes and it gets a majority of the points across.
Reply With Quote
  #2284  
Old 12-05-2022, 4:22 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
IIRC, if CoCoCo was true Shall Issue it would settle between 30,000 and 40,000 CCWers (3-5% of adult population). That’s based on liberal SI states (ie, not Texas).

Never thought I’d live to see the day Marin would issue more than a handful per year.

Sanchez replaces Ahern January 3rd. If you find out her position on CCWs, please post in the Alameda County thread in this forum.

Keep up the good work!
I think the demand is about 8,500. We are similar in demographics to Sacramento County, which has 10,000 outstanding CCWs. Their population is 1.4 million, ours is 1.1mm
Reply With Quote
  #2285  
Old 12-05-2022, 5:21 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 12,276
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
I think the demand is about 8,500. We are similar in demographics to Sacramento County, which has 10,000 outstanding CCWs. Their population is 1.4 million, ours is 1.1mm
Prior to NYSRPA even Sac required GG. I know when they first liberally issued to settle a CGF lawsuit (~2009), they accepted SD = GC. But then after a few years they took that off of their CCW webpage and required more. That was after McGuiness left.

I was comparing it to true SI: no discretionary GC or GMC.
Reply With Quote
  #2286  
Old 12-05-2022, 5:33 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Prior to NYSRPA even Sac required GG. I know when they first liberally issued to settle a CGF lawsuit (~2009), they accepted SD = GC. But then after a few years they took that off of their CCW webpage and required more. That was after McGuiness left.

I was comparing it to true SI: no discretionary GC or GMC.
I know two guys who got them in the past few years (under the Doug Jones administration) who wrote simple statements about wanting them for personal protection. One guy mentioned hiking on remote trails, and another mentioned working in sketchy neighborhoods.

Do you know of people who were denied?
Reply With Quote
  #2287  
Old 12-05-2022, 5:46 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Another vendor option for training. Note that Concord requires 16 hours, so you have to take CCW1 and CCW2

https://www.paladin-tactical-us.com/upcomingccw
Reply With Quote
  #2288  
Old 12-05-2022, 7:07 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 12,276
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
I know two guys who got them in the past few years (under the Doug Jones administration) who wrote simple statements about wanting them for personal protection. One guy mentioned hiking on remote trails, and another mentioned working in sketchy neighborhoods.

Do you know of people who were denied?
No, I stopped closely following Sac and OC years ago when they both stopped accepting SD = GC and required at least Recreational Activities risks (still Dark Green even if short of SD = GC).

We’re in a no man’s land of no GC required but discretionary GMC. Hopefully GMC will get shot down soon by the federal courts. THANK HEAVEN TRUMP BEAT HILLARY and left no AC or SCOTUS vacancy unfilled.
Reply With Quote
  #2289  
Old 12-05-2022, 8:06 PM
Gator15 Gator15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 72
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Another option if you don't mind going to Davis.

https://countyccw.com/california-con...on-ccw-classes

Save you $70 from lowest fee at Bay Area courses.
Reply With Quote
  #2290  
Old 12-05-2022, 9:17 PM
lambo9mm lambo9mm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
Another vendor option for training. Note that Concord requires 16 hours, so you have to take CCW1 and CCW2

https://www.paladin-tactical-us.com/upcomingccw
Tks for sharing! I'll be there tomorrow during the practice training.

qq: Is this company somehow related to the forum wizard Paladin here ?
Reply With Quote
  #2291  
Old 12-06-2022, 6:25 AM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo9mm View Post
Tks for sharing! I'll be there tomorrow during the practice training.

qq: Is this company somehow related to the forum wizard Paladin here ?
idk, but if you meet an RSO named Barry, he is also one of the instructors.
Reply With Quote
  #2292  
Old 12-06-2022, 8:02 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 12,276
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo9mm View Post
Tks for sharing! I'll be there tomorrow during the practice training.

qq: Is this company somehow related to the forum wizard Paladin here ?
No.
Reply With Quote
  #2293  
Old 12-06-2022, 11:56 AM
dynastyss dynastyss is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 77
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Interview done. Now we wait.
Reply With Quote
  #2294  
Old 12-06-2022, 12:24 PM
TheNinja TheNinja is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 175
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_EBT View Post
Hi guys! So since my article came out I have received a few emails from people telling me they have been told that they are now approved pending the completion of training. I am interested in keeping track of this/comparing applications to each-other , so please message me or email me if you are one of those people! rmercader@bayareanewsgroup.com. Also if you were denied, I'd love to hear from you too.

CC Sheriff's office has still NOT told me how many permits have been issued before or prior Bruen ruling... They have also told us they need a few more weeks to respond to our records requests.

In case anyone is interested, Marin County told me in 2022 they got 133 requests issued 32, denied 2,
Thank you for bringing media attention to this matter! It is very much appreciated. Sometimes it seems likes us "regular people" are powerless when the government plays by their own rules. The hardest part is the silence from them or when it seems like nobody cares about our rights.

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote
  #2295  
Old 12-06-2022, 1:07 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
Thank you for bringing media attention to this matter! It is very much appreciated. Sometimes it seems likes us "regular people" are powerless when the government plays by their own rules. The hardest part is the silence from them or when it seems like nobody cares about our rights.

Thank you again!
I’d like to echo this sentiment!
Reply With Quote
  #2296  
Old 12-06-2022, 4:09 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Good news to report: I got the invite to qualify at the Sheriff’s range this Saturday!

The irony is that after all this, I’m going to break a major commitment to make it.
Decisions, decisions.

But make no mistake, this is a moral victory.
Reply With Quote
  #2297  
Old 12-06-2022, 4:12 PM
NorCalBusa NorCalBusa is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,065
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
Good news to report: I got the invite to qualify at the Sheriff’s range this Saturday!

The irony is that after all this, I’m going to break a major commitment to make it.
Decisions, decisions.

But make no mistake, this is a moral victory.
You gotta go, with all these trials and action- get that permit in your hand asap.
Reply With Quote
  #2298  
Old 12-06-2022, 4:43 PM
Gator15 Gator15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 72
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Can't help but think there is a trick in here with the second qualification being required.
Reply With Quote
  #2299  
Old 12-06-2022, 5:20 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator15 View Post
Can't help but think there is a trick in here with the second qualification being required.
I don't know what the "trick" might be. They've made the course of fire public. I've been practicing it. I'm confident that I can pass it.

I don't object to it in principle. I'm sure that many of you will disagree with me here, and that's fine, but I think that proving that you can shoot straight in a stressful situation is a damn good thing. If you think having a Sheriff's rangemaster standing over your shoulder while you are shooting at a paper target is stressful, imagine having a bad guy coming at you.

I object because I think this is just Livingston being obstinate. He's proven himself to be a petty, tyrannical little man. He won't sit for an interview with a reporter from a reputable newspaper. As Rachel works this story, I think that the story has evolved from one about CCW and the 2nd amendment, to one about government transparency and good governance. Regardless of someone's opinion about guns and CCW, every Contra Costa resident should be outraged at how this man has squandered his resources. His department is understaffed, yet he's literally burying the internal affairs lieutenant in paperwork, when, as they say "there's an app for that". And he's jerked the Supervisors around with a request for funding to pay two people to do a job that Permetium could do. And he has the gall to put out a press release trying to get in front of the story. I'll give it to him, it seems to have worked so far, as most of the media bought that bull excrement and published it. But he wasn't counting on Rachel and her editors. I'm confident that her expose will be embarrassing to him.
Reply With Quote
  #2300  
Old 12-06-2022, 5:26 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyss View Post
Interview done. Now we wait.
With Ron Hoekwater? What did he say about timing?
Reply With Quote
  #2301  
Old 12-06-2022, 6:27 PM
serper3 serper3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 306
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Can we get some kind of a system to track everyone's timeline? I would like to get an idea if they are skipping around between applicants, and potentially we can maybe get a better idea when we can expect to be contacted for an interview, timing of further steps, etc.? Any other counties have a Google drive or something like that that people can update on their own, and everyone can reference or access easily?

Anybody been contacted recently for an interview? What is your timeline?

I cleared all DOJ livescan on 08/11/22, still no contact for an interview. almost four months later.
Reply With Quote
  #2302  
Old 12-06-2022, 6:34 PM
lambo9mm lambo9mm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
Good news to report: I got the invite to qualify at the Sheriff’s range this Saturday!

The irony is that after all this, I’m going to break a major commitment to make it.
Decisions, decisions.

But make no mistake, this is a moral victory.
If you are coming ~11am, we may bump into each other! I got the same email today. Good luck to us!

I also met with Barry (Paladin Tactical CCW Course) at USI. He was extremely helpful for some live fire training simulating the three strings qualification test. Helped me become aware of some things I can improve on my drawing and trigger work.

Last but not least, very convenient to have all CCW training available now at Concord USI. Before I knew it, I drove to Stockton for my 8hr class. When the time for renewal or modification comes, I will not think twice about scheduling with them.
Reply With Quote
  #2303  
Old 12-06-2022, 7:37 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo9mm View Post
If you are coming ~11am, we may bump into each other! I got the same email today. Good luck to us!

I also met with Barry (Paladin Tactical CCW Course) at USI. He was extremely helpful for some live fire training simulating the three strings qualification test. Helped me become aware of some things I can improve on my drawing and trigger work.

Last but not least, very convenient to have all CCW training available now at Concord USI. Before I knew it, I drove to Stockton for my 8hr class. When the time for renewal or modification comes, I will not think twice about scheduling with them.
I just talked it over with my wife. I have to cancel on a previous commitment, but yeah. I'll be there on Saturday.
Reply With Quote
  #2304  
Old 12-06-2022, 8:00 PM
Gator15 Gator15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 72
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
I don't know what the "trick" might be. They've made the course of fire public. I've been practicing it. I'm confident that I can pass it.

I don't object to it in principle. I'm sure that many of you will disagree with me here, and that's fine, but I think that proving that you can shoot straight in a stressful situation is a damn good thing. If you think having a Sheriff's rangemaster standing over your shoulder while you are shooting at a paper target is stressful, imagine having a bad guy coming at you.

I object because I think this is just Livingston being obstinate. He's proven himself to be a petty, tyrannical little man. He won't sit for an interview with a reporter from a reputable newspaper. As Rachel works this story, I think that the story has evolved from one about CCW and the 2nd amendment, to one about government transparency and good governance. Regardless of someone's opinion about guns and CCW, every Contra Costa resident should be outraged at how this man has squandered his resources. His department is understaffed, yet he's literally burying the internal affairs lieutenant in paperwork, when, as they say "there's an app for that". And he's jerked the Supervisors around with a request for funding to pay two people to do a job that Permetium could do. And he has the gall to put out a press release trying to get in front of the story. I'll give it to him, it seems to have worked so far, as most of the media bought that bull excrement and published it. But he wasn't counting on Rachel and her editors. I'm confident that her expose will be embarrassing to him.
I think I can pass it as well but problem is most ranges won't let you practice from a holster draw. I also don't think you relinquish your right to self defense because you aren't a good shot, esp since civilian self defense will 99/100 (more like every time but you get the point) be at 5 yds or less. We aren't police engaging suspects, we are only using it to protect our life. I would also like to know why the County charges $100 and a permit fee. TBH this is all unconstitutional but will have to be challenged after we pay the fee.

On a positive note, I have found Pete Enea to be very responsive and professional throughout. His latest email says that they are looking to get as many people through the qualification in the least amount of time.

Last edited by Gator15; 12-06-2022 at 8:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2305  
Old 12-06-2022, 8:09 PM
jigendaisuke jigendaisuke is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 36
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator15 View Post
On a positive note, I have found Pete Enea to be very responsive and professional throughout. His latest email says that they are looking to get as many people through the qualification in the least amount of time.

Ironic. His last email to me was “You will be contacted in the future.”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2306  
Old 12-06-2022, 8:14 PM
Gator15 Gator15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 72
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigendaisuke View Post
Ironic. His last email to me was “You will be contacted in the future.”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite a bit of that but he must be inundated. He is more responsive to inquiries that don't ask about status. My guess is he really doesn't know what to say.
Reply With Quote
  #2307  
Old 12-06-2022, 8:20 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

[QUOTE=Gator15;27480733.........problem is most ranges won't let you practice from a holster draw.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's a problem. There are a few options.

1) Get involved with the Action Pistol scene at USI or Richmond. I intend to do that. It seems like a lot more fun than the regular range.
2) Find a private place to shoot. I know, easier said than done.
3) Go out of state. I was in Las Vegas last weekend. I snuck away from the primary reason for my trip to go to a range called ProGun Vegas. I practiced the Sheriff's qualification there.
4) Practice drawing and dry firing at home.
Reply With Quote
  #2308  
Old 12-06-2022, 9:13 PM
bdmew1 bdmew1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I received my CCW approval notification from Contra Costa Country Sheriff's office today.

Current timeline:
Mailed application arrived: June 29, 2022
Livescan conducted: July 14, 2022
LIvescan results
CA Completed - 07/14/2022
FBI Completed - 07/14/2022
Firearms Completed - 08/06/2022
CCW Interview on Sept 28, 2022
CCW approval email on Dec 6, 2022

I need to start researching and looking for approved training but anyone already got recommendations for classes?
Reply With Quote
  #2309  
Old 12-06-2022, 9:28 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmew1 View Post
I received my CCW approval notification from Contra Costa Country Sheriff's office today.

Current timeline:
Mailed application arrived: June 29, 2022
Livescan conducted: July 14, 2022
LIvescan results
CA Completed - 07/14/2022
FBI Completed - 07/14/2022
Firearms Completed - 08/06/2022
CCW Interview on Sept 28, 2022
CCW approval email on Dec 6, 2022

I need to start researching and looking for approved training but anyone already got recommendations for classes?
You'll find some in the last couple of pages of this thread. Here are two:
https://www.paladin-tactical-us.com/
https://www.daccw.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2310  
Old 12-06-2022, 9:52 PM
bdmew1 bdmew1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
You'll find some in the last couple of pages of this thread. Here are two:
https://www.paladin-tactical-us.com/
https://www.daccw.com/
Looks like I'm going with Defensive Accuracy since Dublin is close and they have a class on the 19th. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2311  
Old 12-06-2022, 10:10 PM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmew1 View Post
Looks like I'm going with Defensive Accuracy since Dublin is close and they have a class on the 19th. Thanks
That's who I used.

They are VERY picky about the holster that you use for your "practice" gun. Make sure it's a kydex holster. No leather or nylon. They don't care so much about the holster that you use for qualification, but no iwb holsters.

Also, make sure you have electronic hearing protection.
Reply With Quote
  #2312  
Old 12-06-2022, 10:16 PM
bdmew1 bdmew1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
That's who I used.

They are VERY picky about the holster that you use for your "practice" gun. Make sure it's a kydex holster. No leather or nylon. They don't care so much about the holster that you use for qualification, but no iwb holsters.

Also, make sure you have electronic hearing protection.
Wait so I need to buy strong side OWB holsters to train with?
Does the Sheriff also require OWB holsters for qualification?
Reply With Quote
  #2313  
Old 12-06-2022, 10:26 PM
vandal vandal is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 2,595
iTrader: 187 / 100%
Default

For the Sheriff qualification you can use strong side IWB or OWB. No AIWB.

I took the DACCW "good guy" class awhile back and used AIWB but had to convince Denise I knew what I was doing first (what other classes have you taken where you shot AIWB?). I can understand the ban on nylon holsters, and to some extent leather because newbies often buy cheap, and cheap leather/nylon holsters collapse leading to safety issues when reholstering.

For the Sheriff qual I use a Raven Perun OWB -- simple, inexpensive, available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmew1 View Post
Wait so I need to buy strong side OWB holsters to train with?
Does the Sheriff also require OWB holsters for qualification?
Reply With Quote
  #2314  
Old 12-06-2022, 10:41 PM
bdmew1 bdmew1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
For the Sheriff qualification you can use strong side IWB or OWB. No AIWB.

I took the DACCW "good guy" class awhile back and used AIWB but had to convince Denise I knew what I was doing first (what other classes have you taken where you shot AIWB?). I can understand the ban on nylon holsters, and to some extent leather because newbies often buy cheap, and cheap leather/nylon holsters collapse leading to safety issues when reholstering.

For the Sheriff qual I use a Raven Perun OWB -- simple, inexpensive, available.
I understand there exists the concerns over re-holstering and the lack of knowledge among most shooters and new gun owners. I just figured the intent of training to include the method of carry to be larger consideration. Unless that many instructors are still against appendix carry for some reason.
I've never taken a pistol course because I'm still in military so I get hundreds of rounds and good instruction on government dime. Most of my civilian shooting has been at Tumey Hills. The times I go to Livermore Rod&Gun are mostly for zeroing.
Reply With Quote
  #2315  
Old 12-07-2022, 7:24 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 635
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmew1 View Post
I understand there exists the concerns over re-holstering and the lack of knowledge among most shooters and new gun owners. I just figured the intent of training to include the method of carry to be larger consideration. Unless that many instructors are still against appendix carry for some reason.
Your first sentence answers your last. We teach both OWB and appendix using different holster types in our CCW class to give students both training on each and exposure to different brands/models to help inform their holster purchase.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #2316  
Old 12-07-2022, 9:17 AM
Gator15 Gator15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 72
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremey View Post
yeah, that's a problem. There are a few options.

1) Get involved with the Action Pistol scene at USI or Richmond. I intend to do that. It seems like a lot more fun than the regular range.
2) Find a private place to shoot. I know, easier said than done.
3) Go out of state. I was in Las Vegas last weekend. I snuck away from the primary reason for my trip to go to a range called ProGun Vegas. I practiced the Sheriff's qualification there.
4) Practice drawing and dry firing at home.
Agreed, I mostly do 3 and 4. My comment is more for the masses. What does a guy or gal do if they can't afford 1-4, the class fee charge/background/county fee (WTF??) and permit fee totaling $500+. I am happy we are at least getting somewhere but the state and most sheriffs (shocked face sarcastically) are not our friends on this.
Reply With Quote
  #2317  
Old 12-07-2022, 9:18 AM
Gator15 Gator15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 72
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmew1 View Post
I received my CCW approval notification from Contra Costa Country Sheriff's office today.

Current timeline:
Mailed application arrived: June 29, 2022
Livescan conducted: July 14, 2022
LIvescan results
CA Completed - 07/14/2022
FBI Completed - 07/14/2022
Firearms Completed - 08/06/2022
CCW Interview on Sept 28, 2022
CCW approval email on Dec 6, 2022

I need to start researching and looking for approved training but anyone already got recommendations for classes?
My timeline is almost identical give or take a week here and there.
Reply With Quote
  #2318  
Old 12-07-2022, 10:06 AM
Ron Jeremey Ron Jeremey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 283
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator15 View Post
My timeline is almost identical give or take a week here and there.
Me too. Except I submitted my application in January. I saw this *****$how coming, as I followed the case through the courts and I saw the change at SCOTUS.
So I applied in January to stake my position in the que. I waited for the decision to do the Livescan
Reply With Quote
  #2319  
Old 12-07-2022, 10:11 AM
Richmonder Richmonder is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 85
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Can we get some kind of a system to track everyone's timeline? I would like to get an idea if they are skipping around between applicants, and potentially we can maybe get a better idea when we can expect to be contacted for an interview, timing of further steps, etc.? Any other counties have a Google drive or something like that that people can update on their own, and everyone can reference or access easily?

Anybody been contacted recently for an interview? What is your timeline?

I cleared all DOJ livescan on 08/11/22, still no contact for an interview. almost four months later.
Similar timeline.
-Application delivered 6/28
-Emailed on 8/9 to check on status and received a response stating that I
could do the livescan.
-Livescan completed 8/13. I emailed to ask re next steps
- Received the response: "you will be contacted in the future" email on 9/01

Nothing since....
Reply With Quote
  #2320  
Old 12-07-2022, 12:17 PM
LateForDinner's Avatar
LateForDinner LateForDinner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NorCal
Posts: 119
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Thanks from me also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
Thank you for bringing media attention to this matter! It is very much appreciated. Sometimes it seems likes us "regular people" are powerless when the government plays by their own rules. The hardest part is the silence from them or when it seems like nobody cares about our rights.

Thank you again!
__________________
NRA Member, CRPA Member, NRA Members' Council, Virginia Citizens Defense League Member
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy