Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-09-2020, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I haven’t looked at it since the last election, but I see that Sheriff Bolanos has updated his campaign website for running again in 2022.

https://www.bolanosforsheriff.com/

I didn't notice any mention of CCWs on his "Priorities" webpage:
https://www.bolanosforsheriff.com/copy-of-contact

With the CV19 panic driving people to buy guns even before the George Floyd and BLM protests/riots, now is the time to contact his campaign and say you want him to liberalize CCW issuance, just like in Sac, Orange and SD counties.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-27-2020 at 7:35 AM..
Old 08-27-2020, 7:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear58 View Post
Bumping - Thinking about starting an application (have never applied) for a genuine but perhaps unique good cause. Didn't really have a desire for a CCW until recently, so learning all I can at the moment before applying.
Did you apply? If so, what do you estimate the ďcolorĒ of your Good Cause to be? What is the status of your app?
Old 09-11-2020, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For those thinking about applying, below is the latest revision of my breakdown of the meaning of the Dark Red, Light Red and Yellow categories. If you do apply, be sure to let us know, via a post, or at least me, via a PM, how it went and any insights you can share.

Quote:
The below GC categories are listed from, roughly, weakest to strongest. Note well there's a range within each category. For example, someone who's work equipment is worth $10,000 (might pass Light Red) is assumed to be more at risk than someone who's equipment is worth only $1,000 (might pass Yellow). Plus, remember that equipment that cost you $1,000 isn't equivalent to someone making $500 cash deposits. Your equipment is not only used (let's say it would fetch $600), but also it's stolen (might then drop that to $300). Similarly, someone who walks with a slight limp (might pass Dark Green), is not as vulnerable as someone who requires a cane (might pass Light Green) and they're not as vulnerable as someone who requires a wheelchair (might pass Yellow). Evaluation of GC isn't black and white, but often shades of gray, a judgment call. That's one of the reasons why we say the map may be off by 1 color in either direction. So, if you have a GC that is listed under Light Green below it might pass in a Yellow county. Apply if you really want a CCW and can afford to waste the time, money and effort in applying since you're most likely to be denied. (Going through the process might be good practice.) Remember: we should win a robust 2nd A RBA from SCOTUS by 2021 July 01.

<snip>

All the below will likely pass in a Yellow county Some of us can get issued here.

(8) Lives in a remote area with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times. (Provide proof of residence location, photos of your acreage, of you farming/ranching, etc) N.B. While this may work with SLO Co SOs, it will not work with Alameda Co SO; not sure re. Napa and Yolo Co SOs.

(9) Employees required to work in remote locales at all hours with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., wilderness photographer, surveyors, construction workers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, value of equipment) restricted to on-the-job only N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(10) Employees at heightened risk due visiting isolated locations required by their employment (e.g., female RE agents showing houses to strangers at all hours while alone). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(11) Employees (e.g., business managers, property managers) who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their employment (e.g., Au/Ag, jewelry, pharmaceuticals, firearms, ammo or gunpowder ("inherently dangerous property"), cash sales or rental deposits). Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(12) The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population (e.g., private investigators, process servers, plain clothes security guards, bodyguards, taxi drivers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, photos of you on the job, etc.) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

All the below will likely pass in a Light Red county. Few of us can get issued here.

(13) Business owners required to work at all hours in remote locales with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., professional farmer or rancher, wilderness photographer, surveyor, contractor). (copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job at remote locations, value of equipment, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(14) Business owners who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their profession or business activities (e.g., Au/Ag dealers, jewelry dealers, MD/pharmacists/pharma sales rep, business owner or landlord making cash sales or rental deposits, maybe NRA Instructor, RSO and FFL dealers due to regularly transporting "inherently dangerous property"). (written description of your business activities, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

The below Good Cause will likely pass in a Dark Red county. This is Virtual No Issue because virtually none of us can get issued here. There are 3 levels in Dark Red (from most restrictive to least): actual No Issue. SF and Santa Clara, for awhile, were once this. Next, corrupt issue. LA is like this per the CSA's report: 25 out of 25 audited files did not follow their own CCW policy re. residency and 24 out of 25 did not follow their own policy on GC. Last is Virtual No Issue: this is where they issue for category #15 below and only for that.

(15) They are at heightened risk due to a documented "clear & present danger to life, or great bodily harm" against them or an immediate family member (e.g., crazy ex- or disgruntled fired employee, stalker, anonymous nut case/evildoer, etc.). These GC policies are usually based upon CA State AG John Van de Kamp's early 1980s Opinion letter and require a number of additional conditions be present. (Proof includes police reports (if BG unknown), permanent restraining order (if BG known), evidence of current threats (e.g., audio recordings, video/pictures, written threats, etc).)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Going by the examples immediately above, has anyone been issued a San Mateo SO CCW for Yellow Good Causes (8, 9, 10, 11 or 12)?
Old 11-13-2020, 7:52 PM

I applied a few weeks ago, did the livescan and my interview via FaceTime. The deputy was nice and let me know that he writes up a report from the interview and it goes up the chain and Iíll hear back in a few weeks.

Pretty quick responses as I submitted my app on 10/30 and had my interview 11/10.

Figured wouldnít hurt to try to get it. Had a CCW down in Orange County 15 years ago and move up to sf and tried transferring my address but SF obviously said donít even try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byun View Post
I applied a few weeks ago, did the livescan and my interview via FaceTime. ...
First off, welcome newbie!

I hope you read over the posts above yours and my CCW Advice thread prior to applying and the interview. Be sure to take notes of the process to share after you have “card in hand” or are denied. We'll be especially interested in a rough idea of your Good Cause since that is the main hurdle for most of us. (But not so much detail as to ID yourself.)

Wish you the best!

Last edited by Paladin; 11-15-2020 at 3:41 AM..
Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
First off, welcome newbie!

I hope you read over the posts above yours and my CCW Advice thread prior to applying and the interview. Be sure to take notes of the process to share after you have ďcard in handĒ or are denied. We'll be especially interested in a rough idea of your Good Cause since that is the main hurdle for most of us. (But not do much detail as to ID yourself.)

Wish you the best!

Thanks, will update as I hear more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2020, 1:48 PM

Chance is zero
Old 12-04-2020, 2:16 PM

Default San Mateo -- APPLY to Get a Spot in Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
Chance is zero

Baloney. Due to COVID, the 8 hour class required after a permit is approved but before it is issued is booked 3 months ahead due to demand. I won't have a permit for a month because I didn't call in early enough for my requal class.

So no, the chance is not 0 or even close to it.

NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist

Last edited by ronlglock; 12-05-2020 at 9:50 AM..
Old 12-04-2020, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Baloney. Due to COVID, the 8 hour class required after a permit is approved but before it is issued is booked 3 months ahead. I won't have a permit for a month because I didn't call in early enough for my requal class.
For some reason many CGNers think that just because they were denied a CCW everyone gets denied.
Old 02-03-2021, 7:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Angry SMCSO uses Light Red GC standard

I spoke with the LEO who oversees the San Mateo Co SO CCW Unit, Sgt. David Weidner (650-599-1662). Long story short they will issue for Dark Red (personal threats) and Light Red (professional or business ownership risks) Good Causes with sufficient proof, but not for the same risks when faced by an employee (Yellow). (Reasoning was if you don’t like the risks get a different job. Why not tell small business owners making large cash deposits if you don’t like the risks start a different business? I don’t know and didn’t push since Sheriff Balanos, not the sergeant, is the one who sets the GC policy. Besides I’d rather they issue to business owners than not.) Same with you having to go to a bad area for your work. Don’t like it? Get a different job. That’s a general risk of the area not a risk specific to you. (I’d guess they say the same thing about living in a rough area. Don’t feel safe? Move to a different area.)

When the sergeant called me back I was out in public so I was distracted by traffic and pedestrians and didn’t have my notes or notepad. I forgot to ask re. female RE agents who show houses to strangers. They’ve become a popular target of robbers and/or rapists over the past decade. While they’re akin to an employee of a RE broker (Yellow) if they’ve been attacked or felt threatened previously and told their broker and/or reported it, some Light Red counties will issue to them with their broker’s approval.

Another issue I’ve tried to emphasize over the past few years and he emphasized is without evidence sufficient to prove your GC actually exists, that GC is useless. They require evidence sufficient to use in court to justify/defend them having issued you a CCW if they ever get sued about it.

No GC on its own is an automatic approval. Proof is vital, as is GMC and proof of GMC, the interview and all the rest of the process.

Cops deal with liars all day long. Don’t give them a reason to distrust you!

The sergeant mention he’s been flooded with CCW applications this past year. (I assume because of Covid-19 panic, BLM and other protests.) The vast majority get rejected. The sergeant doesn’t set CCW policy, Sheriff Balanos does. If you want change, pressure the sheriff, contact Balanos’ campaign. He’s up for re-election in 2022 June. IIRC contenders must file within about 1 year from now.

Bottom line: the CA CCW GC map showing SM Co Light Red has been verified as correct.

ETA: No, I don’t live in San Mateo Co.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-20-2021 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-14-2021, 10:24 AM

No it is not. They don’t issue even for that. It is as dark red as it gets, they just pay a little lip service so as to reduce risk of getting sued. I know that directly, and not as a random caller.

Last edited by Offwidth; 02-14-2021 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-14-2021, 11:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
No it is not. They donít issue even for that. It is as dark red as it gets, they just pay a little lip service so as to reduce risk of getting sued. I know that directly, and not as a random caller.
Like the map says it can be off by one color one direction or the other.
Old 04-01-2021, 1:47 PM

Default 2021 CCW in San Mateo County

Currently in the review process. Applied once back in 2018 - but denied.

Reapplied in 2/2021, using new online system - 2018 was still hard copies. Had the initial interview with deputy sheriff via facetime. It was a thorough interview - pulled up my data from previous application. Asked lots of pertinent and not so pertinent questions. My reasoning (per color codes discussed above) were "darker red and red".

I was prepared, kept calm, and answered questions without hesitation. The deputy was very respectful, but also prepared.

Two weeks later, I was asked to livescan. Can only complete the livescan at the Pack and Mail Express in Redwood City. Completed that the next day after request.

Fast forward to this week, 3 weeks later - live scan results are still not back yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byun View Post
Thanks, will update as I hear more.
Any news? Care to share a rough idea of what your Good Cause was like, but not so much detail as ID yourself? (See post #700 above.)

Last edited by Paladin; 04-03-2021 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-03-2021, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau View Post
Currently in the review process. Applied once back in 2018 - but denied.

Reapplied in 2/2021, using new online system - 2018 was still hard copies. Had the initial interview with deputy sheriff via facetime. It was a thorough interview - pulled up my data from previous application. Asked lots of pertinent and not so pertinent questions. My reasoning (per color codes discussed above) were "darker red and red".

I was prepared, kept calm, and answered questions without hesitation. The deputy was very respectful, but also prepared.

Two weeks later, I was asked to livescan. Can only complete the livescan at the Pack and Mail Express in Redwood City. Completed that the next day after request.

Fast forward to this week, 3 weeks later - live scan results are still not back yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-03-2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Baloney. Due to COVID, the 8 hour class required after a permit is approved but before it is issued is booked 3 months ahead due to demand. I won't have a permit for a month because I didn't call in early enough for my requal class.

So no, the chance is not 0 or even close to it.

FYI, my expired November permit was renewed in late January. And the class had 6 no-shows ó blocking others who probably were in the same boat as I was. If you arenít gonna show up for a qual, please release the slot to someone who can.

NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist
Old 04-03-2021, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
FYI, my expired November permit was renewed in late January. And the class had 6 no-shows — blocking others who probably were in the same boat as I was. If you aren’t gonna show up for a qual, please release the slot to someone who can.

Congrats!!!

Old 04-03-2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
FYI, my expired November permit was renewed in late January. And the class had 6 no-shows ó blocking others who probably were in the same boat as I was. If you arenít gonna show up for a qual, please release the slot to someone who can.

Congrats, lucky you having abd and renewing a permit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-03-2021, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
FYI, my expired November permit was renewed in late January.
Going by post #700 above, what was your Good Cause like? (But not so much detail as to ID yourself)
Old 04-30-2021, 5:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
For any who donít know SCOTUS has taken a major gun rights case. It should be heard in the fall and decision released sometime before 2022 July 01. The case has to do with our Right to Bear Arms. More at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1676407
Old 05-04-2021, 9:18 AM

After a 10week wait, my application was approved this morning. On to the CA CCW class and range qualification - waiting to hear back from San Mateo Sheriff on process.
Old 05-04-2021, 9:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau View Post
After a 10week wait, my application was approved this morning. On to the CA CCW class and range qualification - waiting to hear back from San Mateo Sheriff on process.
Congrats!!!

Care to share what your Good Cause was like, going by either the numbers or colors in post 31 of: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924

Please PM me or post.