Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-15-2021, 1:49 PM

Default Ammo shortage easing?

I walked into my local Big 5 today and bought Aguila HV .22LR for $4.99 a box. Not cheap but a lot lower than what online sellers have been asking. The store seemed to have a fairly ample supply of the Aguila and some other brands.
Old 06-15-2021, 2:02 PM
Banned

How many boxes were you allowed to buy?
Old 06-15-2021, 2:12 PM

I show up at Bass Pro on my days off when they open and have had no problem getting 9mm or 22l in the last month I have bought over 3,000 rounds of each
Old 06-15-2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
I show up at Bass Pro on my days off when they open and have had no problem getting 9mm or 22l in the last month I have bought over 3,000 rounds of each
How are their prices? Which location?
Old 06-15-2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
How many boxes were you allowed to buy?
No limit. I bought 1K rounds. Not wanting to take it all, since I’m fairly well fixed on .22 already and wanted to give others a crack. I actually went into store to buy something else and just asked whether there was any .22 available.
Old 06-15-2021, 3:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGunner View Post
No limit. I bought 1K rounds. Not wanting to take it all, since I’m fairly well fixed on .22 already and wanted to give others a crack. I actually went into store to buy something else and just asked whether there was any .22 available.
Oh they got rid of limits at Big 5?
Old 06-15-2021, 4:31 PM

Seems the drug Cartels in Mexico stole a US bound truck full of around 7 Million rounds of Aquila 22 heading for the US..Probably will not hurt supply alot..It is foreign made ammo which I do not buy anyway..Never even see Aguila in my area anyway..

Yes it is coming back..People told me a few months ago on forums that my prediction of ample supplies coming around July was crazy talk..May be slightly longer than predicted..But will be plentiful sooner rather than later..

I have loads of 22 LR, always do..I am short on .22 WMR..
Old 06-15-2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheellock View Post
How are their prices? Which location?
Rocklin CA

Basically was paying .35 a round for either the 50 round boxes or the few bulk packs I got
Old 06-15-2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
I walked into my local Big 5 today and bought Aguila HV .22LR for $4.99 a box. Not cheap but a lot lower than what online sellers have been asking. The store seemed to have a fairly ample supply of the Aguila and some other brands.
Keep buying and those prices will never go down.
Old 06-15-2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Oh they got rid of limits at Big 5?
It probably just depends. Both times I've gone in on a Thursday/Friday (Delivery Day +1/2 Days) they had 20-30ish boxes of the Aguila HV .22LR both times, so the guy let me buy 10 without an issue. That's been my experience the last two weeks in the Bay Area at least.
Old 06-15-2021, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread.
Anybody see pistol large&small primer back on the shelf yet ????
Old 06-16-2021, 4:03 AM

I could use some Large Rifle Primers..Getting low..But have not seen any yet.Those may be a lot slower to come back.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:11 AM

There's no shortage (other than maybe center x or mk226). You can buy as much as you want as long as you're willing to pay current rates.

Real question is are ammo rates normalizing? Answer is yes, they seem to be dropping. In the last few weeks, I picked up a brick of SK rifle match for $0.28/round and 2 bricks of FGM Target for $0.20/round.

Factory brass 9mm is hovering around $0.40/round and M193 is $0.60/round. Not 1Q20 prices, but a lot better than what they were just a few months ago.
Old 06-16-2021, 5:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Three weeks ago, Target Sports was selling 9mm for ~$0.60/pr.

Today, they pushed the same ammo for ~$0.50 pr.

Everything sells out, but it's starting to move.

.40 S&W is almost non-existent, probably due to Fed contracts, but it will return.

Primers/powder will follow after demand for manufactured ammo is met.
Old 06-17-2021, 4:37 AM

Stopped at the largest Gun Store here in nebraska in Lincoln yesterday...They had all the ammo you could want in Centerfire, Rimfire, and 1000s of Rifles and Handguns..But they have not seen any primers for well over a year..

All the ammo you can want was there..Just at ripoff prices..Someone said quit paying the crazy prices, and it will drop like a rock..I have been telling people that for a year.. There really never was a shortage at all..Just a shortage of attractively priced ammo.

.All you could want is listed on GB everyday..Has always been there..Just was being intercepted before reaching the retail level, and sold for big bucks to those who really needed it I guess..

Now prices are starting to drop on GB and the retailers locally are getting more in and screwing you..Only way you can win this ammo game is stop purchasing it till you absolutely need it....Need, not want to have it.
Old 06-17-2021, 8:38 AM

Quote:
yep, my local B5 had 22, 9 and 556. and more than a few boxes.
They have them ready by Friday AM, so typically a line forms before opening.
but recently they had far more on the shelves. Bass Pro is still by appt only.
Old 06-18-2021, 4:15 PM

it would be really nice to know what area. After reading this post, I went to 3 local B5 and the shelves were bare. I'm in Orange County
Old 06-18-2021, 4:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Find out when B5 gets stocked and wait in line. Here it is fri van nuys wed I picked up 1500 rounds 22 lr couple weeks ago I was last in line. 20 buck per 250 rounds
Old 06-18-2021, 4:50 PM

You have $3.99 .22lr boxes at your B5?
Old 06-18-2021, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

My email is starting to be flooded with more online ammo sales every day. I have taken screenshots of a lot of them, and have noticed a downward trend in pricing, but still a long ways away from before the election and plandemic.
Be patient; I think ease of supply will arrive in the near future.
Old 06-18-2021, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

22lr is somewhat available near me. 9mm, 45ACP, 223 have all been in stock.
Old 06-20-2021, 3:53 PM

Even if ammo shortage eased, it does nothing in bringing prices down. Due to hoarders flucuating the market, your still looking at paying pandemic price.
Old 06-20-2021, 4:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ammo prices are the inverse of stock prices. Ammo prices go up quickly and crawl down slowly. The prices have been inching down the last month or 2, but still has a quite a way to go.

All that said, prices will go down more the rest of the year as availability improves, but don't expect to see 2019 any time soon if ever. The $$ has lost value and will continue to do so for the next number of years.
Old 06-20-2021, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaco View Post
Even if ammo shortage eased, it does nothing in bringing prices down. Due to hoarders flucuating the market, your still looking at paying pandemic price.
Market supply will increase, driving prices down. When consumers realize that supply has increased, expectations will carry some into hoarding for a short while, then demand will drop, further increasing supply and reducing cost.
Old 06-20-2021, 8:56 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I started tracking the raw number of sites with hundgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo available for Remington, Federal, and Winchester ammo on AmmoSeek.com. I have also been tracking the lowest cost per round. Ill
Old 06-21-2021, 4:42 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
I started tracking the raw number of sites with hundgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo available for Remington, Federal, and Winchester ammo on AmmoSeek.com. I have also been tracking the lowest cost per round. Ill
All numbers below are for ammoseek.com searches for only Remington, Federal, and Winchester as the manufacturer. I'm combining those 3 to give a total.

Searches done on 4/26/2021:

Handgun: 351 sites, $0.65/round lowest price
Rifle: 653 sites, $0.76/round lowest price
Shotgun: 279 sites, $0.47/round lowest price

Searches done on 6/19/2021:

Handgun: 749 sites, $0.36/round lowest price
Rifle: 1,054 sites, $0.56/round lowest price
Shotgun: 670 sites, $0.36/round lowest price

Sites offering handgun ammo rose 398 sites while the price per round dropped 29 cents/round

Sites offering rifle ammo rose 401 sites while the price per round dropped 20 cents/round

Sites offering shotgun ammo rose 391 sites while the price per round dropped 11 cents/round

So, availability roughly doubled while price per round dropped significantly in less than 2 months. One has to think, as there are increasing numbers of vendors offering ammo for sale online, the prices will surely continue dropping.

Old 06-21-2021, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread.
Anybody see pistol large&small primer back on the shelf yet ????
Reloading supplies always take a few months to come back after ammo hits the shelves.
It seems to me that supplies hadn't fully recovered from the last panic buy when this one hit.
Old 06-21-2021, 6:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Incredible....I appreciate the work on this Sir...👍👍

Many thanks....

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-21-2021, 7:01 AM

Nice. I also did a little check of people waiting outside the Big 5 on the day they restock ammo. There have been people waiting 3 hours or more before they open. Last week, 30 mins before opening, there was no one there.
Old 06-21-2021, 9:56 AM

I monitor Calguns ammo prices every day, particularly 9mm and .22LR and have seen downward drift in asking prices for past week or two. 9mm was up to about $400 per 500 rounds and now generally $300 or below. Prior to pandemic bulk commercial prices under $200 per 1K so they still have a way to go.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheellock View Post
Nice. I also did a little check of people waiting outside the Big 5 on the day they restock ammo. There have been people waiting 3 hours or more before they open. Last week, 30 mins before opening, there was no one there.
Some people gave up, others got what they need and the weekend BBQ season is here so a lot of people now have different priorities.

No one is wiping their butts any more than they used to but there are no lines for toilet paper either.

There is at least a couple more years to go before any possibility of a major change in the Senate and House so there is plenty of time for the next crisis.

During the pandemic a lot of people were at home and spent their days watching and listening to the news over and over. Now they can get out and enjoy the sun, do things and despite what it seems like if you spend a lot of time on forums, for most people guns aren't their life but rather part of it.

Its often hard for those who's lives revolve around guns to understand that most people see guns as a part of their concerns and activities and not the activity or concern around which everything else revolves. It can be tough to accept/understand but its the reality.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 06-21-2021, 3:04 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

I've been buying 9mm, .223, and 22lr at Big-5 in Sonora. I go early on shipment day (Friday).

Earlier this year I would see 15-20 people in line at opening time. This past Friday, I got there at 0730 (they open at 0930) and was 1st in line. When they opened there was 7 folks waiting. I was the only one there until 0830. (I actually helped the store folks haul trash to the dumpster in my pick up while I waited)

Prices were a bit better on 9mm, and .22LR. They even had CCI 22 WMR at a good price that I have had a devil of a time finding locally at any price.

Their selection of calibers varies, but it seems to be slowly getting better. Whether or not that trend continues, remains to be seen.
-P
Old 06-21-2021, 5:29 PM

It will be interesting to see how it goes from here. I have been reloading 9 mm for the past year, but it's not my favourite thing to do, so if it gets back down to $250 per 1,000 I will start restocking. I suspect many people will do the same, so prices may stay a little elevated for a while. I would hope that things go back to about 10% over pre-panic prices (since raw materials have gone up).
Old 06-21-2021, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Cartel ammo thieves selling to Big 5 distributors at a BIG discount...
Old 06-21-2021, 5:48 PM

I found a 100 round box of Winchester Super X .22 at the local Garage Sale the other day..Despite not needing anymore .22 and it being Winchester crap..I bought it anyway for 7 bucks..
Old 06-21-2021, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

+1.. Keep buying, & prices will never go down
Old 06-21-2021, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

What I hear from my "local" shops is that the ammo (and the guns) come in waves. There will be moments where they seem to be flush in guns/ammo and other moments where it will appear as though the manufacturers have gone out of business. For awhile, they were 'blaming' the distributors for "allotting" a certain amount to each retailer.

In the end, I agree with what a number above have stated, my suspicion is that the 'manufacturers' are 'catching up,' but the distributors and the retailers are still worried. Some of that has to do with how the 'market' has changed in the last decade or so; i.e., the online retailers are soaking up a good deal of the available product, particularly in relation to ammo, and the brick & mortars, as with many products, can't compete when it comes to price. Given that, in California in particular, we are (by and large) legally 'hostage' to the brick & mortars, there are all kinds of 'games' being played.

$300+ stripped lower receivers which list for $90 - $125 on the manufacturer's site. $50 for 5 boxes of Aguila .22 LR that was selling for $2.49 a box pre-pandemic. $200+ for 1,000 9mm bullets (not cartridges), but no powder or primers in stock. Plenty of stock, but limited to two boxes, period, any combination of caliber and the price is noticeably higher than before? Well... We're just making sure 'everyone' has a chance. Don't like it? Where else you gonna get it? Want a 'break' on the ammo price, buy a gun in that caliber.

Don't want to pay such prices and want to order online? Okay. $75 - $100 transfer fee on the guns/receivers we refuse to stock; i.e., buy what we stock or pay the price. Ammo? Well... You can consult the various threads with regard to the hurdles often put in place.

Cultivating a good relationship with an FFL prior to this can help; but, unfortunately, there are limits to even that. Have money and figure it's just "supply and demand?" You can pretty much get what you need if money isn't the 'pain tolerance' test it is for a lot of people. Willing and able to expand your buying opportunities in terms of the available outlets? It will help 'ease' things, but not necessarily provide a panacea.

In short, "easing up" is still an amorphous, temporal, and regional concept.
Old 06-21-2021, 6:08 PM

There isn't going to be but a short term lowering of prices.

Its simple:

If you were in the supply chain and saw that people would pay very high prices for ammo would you out of the kindness of your heart lower prices? Supply and demand went out the window some time ago. If you say that people will eventually stop buying as they have been there is something not being considered: supply can be lowered to keep prices higher, it happens with all kinds of things.

Anyone see Apple selling iPhones for $99?

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 06-21-2021, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Guns are less short here. If ammo's on the shelf at ridiculous prices.... It sits.
Old 06-21-2021, 6:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Guns are less short here. If ammo's on the shelf at ridiculous prices.... It sits.
Or gets bought by new gunowners who has 0 rounds, desperate gunowners, or rich gunowners.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk