Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Default New Timney Glock trigger

So I know it has been mentioned but it deserves a dedicated thread. The new Timney Glock drop-in trigger is revolutionary for Glocks. It transforms the Glock into a fully cocked striker system, where the trigger only serves to trip the sear. It will be the closest thing possible to a 1911 trigger in a Glock.

Timney claims a 3lb break out of the box. Johnny Glock has gotten one down to ~3oz pull, while demonstrating safe drop test reliability - ridiculous! He has seen some trigger return stickiness in the out of the box configuration so that is something to keep an eye on for sure, but I think it can remedied on a case by case basis if need be.

I will do a bit of polishing but I am sticking with stock striker spring and the standard torsion trigger return spring that is included, to start.

Anyhow this is the dawn of a new Glock trigger era, and I can't wait to try it. I have one arriving in a couple of days and I am trying to decide if I try it in the G34G4 or G35G4 first??

https://timneytriggers.com/alpha-com...glock-gen-3-4/

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-31-2021 at 11:13 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 1:12 AM

A couple of my buddies got one and said its truly different and "epic". I'm a fan of Timney triggers, I even use the Timney Bow release! So I have faith this will be truly unique and awesome. So I ordered one on Friday and it'll be here tomorrow.

I've tried A LOT of Glock triggers and none have actually been good. They're just minor improvements because they all tried to improve the existing trigger mechanism. The difference is that the Timney IS a different mechanism. I'm excited about the Timney. This is going to be awesome!

Last edited by Dooder; 02-01-2021 at 1:15 AM..
Old 02-01-2021, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
A couple of my buddies got one and said its truly different and "epic". I'm a fan of Timney triggers, I even use the Timney Bow release! So I have faith this will be truly unique and awesome. So I ordered one on Friday and it'll be here tomorrow.

I've tried A LOT of Glock triggers and none have actually been good. They're just minor improvements because they all tried to improve the existing trigger mechanism. The difference is that the Timney IS a different mechanism. I'm excited about the Timney. This is going to be awesome!
Same experience, every aftermarket trigger was just a waste of money.

I’m looking forward to your review of this one!
Old 02-01-2021, 8:38 AM

To bad they don't have G20/G21
Old 02-01-2021, 8:39 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

My G17 is stock right now, except for sights, so I find this Timney trigger to be interesting, albeit a tad on the pricey side.

I too am looking forward to reviews.
-P
Old 02-01-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Timney claims a 3lb break out of the box. Johnny Glock has gotten one down to ~3oz pull, while demonstrating safe drop test reliability - ridiculous! He has seen some trigger return stickiness in the out of the box configuration so that is something to keep an eye on for sure, but I think it can remedied on a case by case basis if need be.
Truly something different that has caught my eyes. When first announced, all the chairborne people were proclaiming how it does what it does by disengaging most of the safeties, but I'm seeing that the trigger, firing pin, and drop safety all are present and not compromised. I've dabbled with several other brands, and never was happy with any of them (all seem to do the same thing, with a different logo or look to it). This might need a chance taken by me.

As for the stickiness, I saw on Glocktalk that it's from how much the connector is pushed out from the housing, and just needs a fine tune-in. Too little, mushy, too much, stuck.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab21 View Post
I feel the same way. There's more on the way. The Gen 5 is already in the works, it can be preordered at Brownells right now. So hopefully therr will be a large frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
My G17 is stock right now, except for sights, so I find this Timney trigger to be interesting, albeit a tad on the pricey side.

I too am looking forward to reviews.
-P
It's actually priced quite well compared to the others. It has a aluminum housing, bar and trigger. The Overwatch\TAC trigger is $135 and thats just a trigger shoe with a polished bar. Agency is the same way for $145. Fulcrum is complete and $180, Salient $170, Pyramid $250, Skimmer $160...yea I've wasted a lot of money on hyped triggers. Those are just another Glock trigger as they use the same parts with a fancy shoe. The Timney is a different Glock trigger with different parts and actually functions a different way. I'm looking forward to this as well.

But the proof is in the pudding. I'll know tomorrow how it feels and hopefully a range trip on Wednesday. Then I'll be able to run it and see if there's any difference in performance.

Last edited by Dooder; 02-01-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Old 02-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It's actually priced quite well compared to the others. It has a aluminum housing, bar and trigger. The Overwatch\TAC trigger is $135 and thats just a trigger shoe with a polished bar. Agency is the same way for $145. Fulcrum is complete and $180, Salient $170, Pyramid $250, Skimmer $160...yea I've wasted a lot of money on hyped triggers. Those are just another Glock trigger as they use the same parts with a fancy shoe.
Dooder, thanks for the price comparison. I have not researched any aftermarket Glock triggers. In that vein, the Timney is pretty reasonable.

I will be eyeing this thread for user notes.
-P
Old 02-01-2021, 3:30 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab21 View Post
You are right, but I bet one will be coming soon.

Quote:
I agree most of the aftermarket stuff was not worth it. There was no getting around the fact that the trigger was also cocking the striker, and I was never a fan of running reduced power striker springs.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-01-2021 at 3:37 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 5:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been wanting to get one, but every time I put one in my cart, they're gone by the time I check out.

Edit: Just bought one at MidwayUSA.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 02-01-2021 at 5:12 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 5:48 PM

Woo!! Fed Ex delivered it a day early! It's pretty easy to install. The feel is significantly better. I like that the trigger resets even though the striker isn't. Picture after you dry fire the trigger resets and you can practice your trigger work without racking the slide. At this point it's like a video game trigger or one of them laser trainers, you don't get the actual break but you get trigger and spring tension.

I like it a lot so far. I'm going to put the fine tooth comb to it tonight. Visually I've found one thing that needs to be addressed on the trigger bar, but it's not wrong or out of the ordinary. It does transfer to feel so I'm going to go ahead and slick that part out. The trigger bar and connector relationship is what makes the Glock trigger work. So some tweaking or polishing is naturally part of the trigger work.

The bar and the metal surfaces aren't polished, they're blasted. With that being said it does feel very smooth, maybe it needs a bit of tooth for it to operate correctly.

The G34 that I installed it in has had a Fulcrum in it for the past decade. The connector is set up for that trigger and needs just a tiny tweak for the Timney. Again a normal thing, connectors do need fitting to each trigger bar. The Ghost connectors even need to be trimmed to fit.

As someone mentioned before sticky reset is due to connector tension.

But in summary, thumbs up. I would and will buy again.
Old 02-01-2021, 5:57 PM

crappy reset seems like a big red flag to me. It doesn't take much to get a stock gen 3 trigger down into the 3 pound range, and depending on what connector you use, you can get a nice fast short audible reset - and you don't have to disable any of the internal safety features.
Old 02-01-2021, 6:17 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I like that the trigger resets even though the striker isn't. Picture after you dry fire the trigger resets and you can practice your trigger work without racking the slide.
So some tweaking or polishing is naturally part of the trigger work.

The bar and the metal surfaces aren't polished, they're blasted.
I was re-thinking my polish idea. I think the parts are teflon (NP3) coated so I will not be polishing them at first.

I am curious how the trigger could be dry fired with the same effect without racking the slide. There is no way the striker is being cocked and reset back on the sear without racking the slide a bit. So whatever you are feeling on subsequent trigger pulls, it does not involve the sear tripping off the cocked striker and I doubt it is the same feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockoutwithyerglockout View Post
crappy reset seems like a big red flag to me. It doesn't take much to get a stock gen 3 trigger down into the 3 pound range, and depending on what connector you use, you can get a nice fast short audible reset - and you don't have to disable any of the internal safety features.
Sure you can get a stock trigger down to 3lbs if you are willing to compromise primer ignition reliability by installing a lighter striker spring. Timney does it with a stock spring. And no matter what, you are never getting rid of the sponge feeling with the stock trigger.

Johhny Glock has made his living doing work on stock triggers for 10+ years and he has his own line of drop in triggers based on the stock system. And he has worked on and with every aftermarket Glock trigger under the sun. I'm not saying he is the know-all of Glock triggers, but I do know that he is a business man and makes his living at it, and he is giving serious props to a competitor. He seems pretty dang impressed with the Timney, he even seems giddy about it. Maybe you will be someday too.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-01-2021 at 6:26 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I was re-thinking my polish idea. I think the parts are teflon (NP3) coated so I will not be polishing them at first.

I am curious how the trigger could be dry fired with the same effect without racking the slide. There is no way the striker is being cocked and reset back on the sear without racking the slide a bit. So whatever you are feeling on subsequent trigger pulls, it does not involve the sear tripping off the cocked striker and I doubt it is the same feel
It is kind of confusing. But yes you are correct there is trigger reset without the striker being cocked. So trigger reset but no action reset. Imagine that no striker, engagementless feeling of the Ghost but all the time, even with the slide off. Yes with no slide the trigger still works. So you get full trigger movement without sear engagement...like a video game gun trigger.

The Timney trigger return is independent from the rest of the system. The trigger no longer cocks the striker, all it does it release it...like a normal trigger. This is why its a pretty cool system. Its making the striker action into a more traditional action...aside from the trigger resetting.

Picture this, with the slide off of the gun there is still full trigger movement and tension. Its really neat.

Oh and for the polishing, I forgot about the np3 coating. So it is what it is. I'm going to fiddle with it and if I can't remedy then I'll need to contact Timney to see what to do.

Last edited by Dooder; 02-01-2021 at 7:03 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like somebody finally came up with an idea to fix Glock's retarded trigger system.
Most other ones I have seen simply provide various degrees of lube and hand jobs to a glock trigger.

Can some one who has tried this please comment if it gets rid of that sick mushy trigger feel of a glock?
Old 02-01-2021, 9:09 PM

Johnny’s vid:
https://youtu.be/BbQ4ERRKRQE

Pretty good explanation of the Timney system.
Old 02-01-2021, 9:28 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Here is Johnny's first pass at a modified Timney trigger

I don't think he has had a grin on his face like this since LSD was discovered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j2MyobLfec

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-01-2021 at 9:32 PM..
Old 02-02-2021, 5:18 PM

Looks to be a very promising design. Would love to try it on my competition 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2021, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
Looks to be a very promising design. Would love to try it on my competition 17.

I'm totally in too. It will probably be my next modification on my Open Division build.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...It's actually priced quite well compared to the others......The Timney is a different Glock trigger with different parts and actually functions a different way.....
I totally agree, and the youtube video by Johnny Glock pushed me to just put in my order now before they run out of this batch, and decide they under priced it.

If it works as advertised it should easily be a $250 trigger.

They probably decided on this price point as market penetration strategy and early adopters to come in enough numbers they get enough field experience with the product.

If you work on your triggers, and you told someone that you have a Glock with a 3lb pull on your trigger, but used a heavy duty 6lb striker spring so you never get slight strikes they would just laugh at you as an idiot or liar.

This seems that statement could be true now.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

For anyone that already has the trigger - did you get to experience the reset issue that Johnny Glock showed in his video, ie., after several racks, the trigger won't reset out to safety?

_
Old 02-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Ordered 2/2. Shipped 2/3. Looks like an arrival of Friday.

They are fast.

Old 02-03-2021, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
For anyone that already has the trigger - did you get to experience the reset issue that Johnny Glock showed in his video, ie., after several racks, the trigger won't reset out to safety?
This trigger....ohhhhhh man this trigger....woooah man this thing is sweeeeet. First I'm going to say that in it's stock form, it does have the nicest feel, to me, of all the replacement triggers I've tried. How good you want it depends on what you have available to you. So it was "great" at first and I knew that it could be better with different connectors. So yes I still went through the connector song and dance and once the feel was right I got into connector tension tuning and improved it more. HOWEVER, when I crossed the second date rule and started to explore its nether regions, it got effing awesome, and I mean effing with a capital F. I have to post more later.

I've spent the past couple nights fondling the goodies of this trigger and the outcome - I have achieved the Johnny Glock LSD trigger, that's for you @skyhawk haaaha. And to be clear, there's no way to get that set up out of the box. Also I still don't understand his deal about 3oz that he says in his video. He's shows the trigger shoe at 12oz but then is jacking that trigger for it to read 3oz...so the shoe is 4x as heavy as the break? Yeeeeea no. If someone can explain that please do. My limited gun has a 1Lb 10oz trigger and the feel of that is pretty dismal already.

With that being said, yes I've stuck the reset. Since the trigger uses an existing connector, in my eyes, it needs to be tuned. But it may coincidentally drop in. I don't believe in drop in so I tweaked all sorts of things.

I will have to do another post later tonight. I ran into more discoveries about parts life during this journey as well and I think that would be a good thing to point out. In order to get this where I wanted it to go I had to use a new G34 as my primary G34 match gun is...worn out. Ok it still works it's not that worn out. But it was worn in certain points that I could not get the Timney to set up optimally with that frame. Also the out of sight out of mind parts such as the safety plunger and striker where trashed - again haaha. Which also brings up that there's a misconception about connector and trigger feel, mush and stuff. But again, that's a later post.

It's too good and as @snoopy47 mentioned on picking one up, I ordered another one today. I have a feeling that Timney is going to refine the product in their next batch but I figure if I wait they're going to be gone like everything else in this market right now.

Last edited by Dooder; 02-03-2021 at 1:53 PM..
Old 02-03-2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
I totally agree, and the youtube video by Johnny Glock pushed me to just put in my order now before they run out of this batch, and decide they under priced it.

If it works as advertised it should easily be a $250 trigger.

They probably decided on this price point as market penetration strategy and early adopters to come in enough numbers they get enough field experience with the product.

If you work on your triggers, and you told someone that you have a Glock with a 3lb pull on your trigger, but used a heavy duty 6lb striker spring so you never get slight strikes they would just laugh at you as an idiot or liar.

This seems that statement could be true now.
When I bought my first one I had 2 in the cart but decided on one. After reading your post and realizing that I'm not going to return to the Fulcrum trigger I ordered another one this morning haaha.

And you couldn't be more right man. The whole thing with this trigger is an entirely different mechanism that allows you to run heavy striker tension and a light trigger. It's so clever, it's an awesome trigger!
Old 02-03-2021, 1:34 PM

Tagged
Old 02-03-2021, 1:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Geez.....as soon as I decide to cut my spending on Gun accessories................. You guys Pull Me Back In..‼️😎

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 02-03-2021, 1:48 PM

So, I guess this modification favors competition use, as Johnny Glock demostrates, the firing pin gets captured by a sear becoming a single action trigger.
So by becoming single action, the Glock looses one of it's trademark safeties, as the glock defender Big Pimping says, Glock as Gaston designed it is "Perfection".
I like the Modification but when Johnny Glock tested the pull after his magic was done, it went all over the place, not very consistent, maybe they will correct this in the future.
Time will tell.
Old 02-03-2021, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Dooder and Skyhawk and their recommendations did it for me.

Midway still had them 15 minutes ago. On its way.

$150 is cheap for this Trigger. (Don’t tell my wife)

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

Last edited by Oceanbob; 02-03-2021 at 2:15 PM.. Reason: Stellhhg
Old 02-03-2021, 2:49 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternoplacer View Post
So, I guess this modification favors competition use, as Johnny Glock demostrates, the firing pin gets captured by a sear becoming a single action trigger.
So by becoming single action, the Glock looses one of it's trademark safeties, as the glock defender Big Pimping says, Glock as Gaston designed it is "Perfection".
I like the Modification but when Johnny Glock tested the pull after his magic was done, it went all over the place, not very consistent, maybe they will correct this in the future.
Time will tell.
What trademark safety did it lose?
- Trigger tab safety still there
- Firing pin block safety still there
- Drop safety still there

All three safeties are still there - nothing is lost.

And it is hard to measure a 1 to 3 ounce pull, especially when the trigger tab safety itself is 12 ounces. And the best trigger on a $10,000 race gun would do good do only have a 3 ounce variance between pulls, so even if it was 1 oz then 3oz, that is still rather amazing... remember we are talking OUNCES here, in the range of 1/16 to 1/6th of a pound

But the problem wasn't so much that the pull was all over the place, the problem was the method used for test was all over the place - which he clearly says is unconventional because of the tab safety being heavier than that required for the break, and you can see it for yourself as he yanks the scale briskly and not very consistently.

What he should have done was remove the trigger tab safety to perform the test on a trigger so light.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-03-2021 at 2:57 PM..
Old 02-03-2021, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternoplacer View Post
Time will tell.
Yes,
I watched the video. That was the goofiest most unscientific way to test a trigger pull. Hence his results jumping all over the scale from ounces up to what ever!
Old 02-03-2021, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What trademark safety did it lose?
- Trigger tab safety still there
- Firing pin block safety still there
- Drop safety still there

All three safeties are still there - nothing is lost.
Agree. I have a trigger scale as well, and the use of it is a bit of an art. I place the gun firmly on a table, and pull ever so slightly backward, and only count my most consistent pulls. It's easy to pull too hard, get a quick snap back and get a false heavy reading.

The best scale I suppose would be to mount the pistol in a position a bucket can be slung around the trigger, and then slowly fill the bucket with water and then weigh it the moment it breaks. That's what effectively happens at my larger Bulls Eye matches with 4lb trigger requirements. They have a 4lb weight and the gun has to pick it up by the trigger without dropping the hammer.

I can't wait to get this trigger. I've got a lot of money dumped in an otherwise straight up Open Class G34 with welded compensator, frame mounded C-More, all the extras, and had to go back to an OEM trigger for the sake of primer ignition, and it's even more important now with hard to get primers. I don't think I will see more Federal primers in my lifetime.

So if a $150 trigger can reduce the pre travel in half, and take a stock 7lb trigger and get it down to 3lb, and then reports of even further refinement for those willing to put in the time and all that without compromise if the striker ignition

Well, what more can you want out of $150.
Old 02-03-2021, 7:37 PM

See it says “Gen 3-4”. Is there any talk of a Gen 5 Alpha trigger being released?

Proletarian Glocks are great but some of us enjoy the more refined Glock experience.

Old 02-03-2021, 7:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
See it says “Gen 3-4”. Is there any talk of a Gen 5 Alpha trigger being released?

Proletarian Glocks are great but some of us enjoy the more refined Glock experience.
Soon....

https://www.primaryarms.com/timney-a...its-glock-gen5

Old 02-03-2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
NIIIIIIIIIICE

The Hawk comes through AGAIN.

Pretty odd Timney doesn’t have it on their own website. Edit: Just saw the “soon”.
Old 02-04-2021, 3:05 AM

I used the YouTube button and the player isn't working. I tried using the YouTube button and then applying the stuff after the = sign and it doesn't want to play. Anyways here's the link to my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLyktFd7Evs

Last edited by Dooder; 02-04-2021 at 1:48 PM..
Old 02-04-2021, 8:33 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I used the YouTube button and the player isn't working. I tried using the YouTube button and then applying the stuff after the = sign and it doesn't want to play. Anyways here's the link to my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLyktFd7Evs
You need to turn on 'allow embedding' for the video. Simple fix, you can still make the change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oznm-sZbi2Q

Old 02-04-2021, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For those who purchased this trigger- how do you use your glock?

3 Gun
Range only
IDPA

Home Defense?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
For those who purchased this trigger- how do you use your glock?

3 Gun
Range only
IDPA

Home Defense?
USPSA pistol and 3-Gun.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-04-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
_
No.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:42 PM

Well, there goes another $169 after tax, shipping, and NRA Roundup.

Says it'll be here 02/22