Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-18-2013, 1:36 PM

Default Another optic dilemma

So I got a new build that is almost done. Noveske 14.5 upper which I am mating with a newly acquired Gen 2 lower and am quickly nearing the same dilemma that I reach every time. What optic to go with? I know that intended use, shooting distance, etc...has much to do with the choice but it always seems like I am searching for the end all optic that will out perform anything else at any distance. Guessing you guys reach the same dilemma too at some point? Here is my typical choices:

Aimpoint - T1 or COMP M3 or 4
fixed power scope - ACOG TA31
Variable 1-4 or 6 scope - Considering a Vortex, NIghtforce, SWFA, USO, etc...

The rifle is a very light set up so I could add some glass on top and it would still be average weight then. I am thinking a variable scope might be the way to try now. I have not used a 1-4X before but most seem to have good CQB at 1X and then it is nice to be able to dial up to 4X for longer shots with bad eyes.

What is the current consensus now on set ups? The range I primarily use only has 200 yard targets but I could drive a little farther to other places and shoot 300-600 also if needed.
Old 09-18-2013, 1:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

You 3gun or carbine class, bro? If yes, illuminated 1-4x. For bench shooting, I like 3-9x scopes.
Old 09-18-2013, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I just switched from a red dot to a 1-4 with illumination and I couldn't be happier with the setup. At 1x its basically a red dot. Then you can zoom to 4x for longer shots.
Old 09-18-2013, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Out of all those options the 1-4x / 1-6x variables will probably be the heaviest... but also the most versatile.

I have a Vortex PST 1-4x, SWFA 1-6x, TA31F, and a RDS... and out of all those optics the SWFA 1-6x gets the most use but it’s not exactly super light at 1.33 lbs.

Vortex PST 1-4x is about 1lb
ACOG TA31F is about .7 lb

Old 09-18-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
You 3gun or carbine class, bro? If yes, illuminated 1-4x. For bench shooting, I like 3-9x scopes.

No 3g but have taken carbine classes before using Aimpoint. Mainly bench shooting right now unless I am up at my AZ house and then I can set up some different types of practical shoot training in the open desert area.
Old 09-18-2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prc329 View Post
I just switched from a red dot to a 1-4 with illumination and I couldn't be happier with the setup. At 1x its basically a red dot. Then you can zoom to 4x for longer shots.

Thanks, kind of what I am thinking of going also
Old 09-18-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Out of all those options the 1-4x / 1-6x variables will probably be the heaviest... but also the most versatile.

I have a Vortex PST 1-4x, SWFA 1-6x, TA31F, and a RDS... and out of all those optics the SWFA 1-6x gets the most use but it’s not exactly super light at 1.33 lbs.

Vortex PST 1-4x is about 1lb
ACOG TA31F is about .7 lb

Thanks for the detailed info. I was also looking at Nightforce 1-4 NSX which is around 17oz and/or Leupold. I have a connection to get some pretty good pricing on these products. Vortex would probably be slightly less still though.
Old 09-23-2013, 1:45 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hi,
Right now the popular setup is a 1-6X with a First Focal Plane Reticle. How that works with your short barrel depends on what you want to accomplish. A 1-6X scope can give you tremendous flexibility. A good one can function in CQB and for mid-range. That's why a lot of people are going that direction.

1-4X scopes have had more time to mature, and there are some excellent ones on the market. The 1-6X are still developing, but there are a few that are recognized as superior. The Swarovski Z6i a favorite of the well healed 3 Gun guys. But the Vortex Razor 1-6X is a great scope by most accounts, some like the Leupold Mk6 1-6X, and a few like the Leupold VX-6 1-6X.

I've not had any experience with these scopes, but this is what I've read over and over. I use 1-4X or a RDS for my shooting with the 5.56 round, not 3Gun, and I like my Trijicon TR24R, and the SWFA 1-4X in magnified scopes. Each for different reasons. I worry a little bit about build quality of the SWFA I have, but the new ones are better I've heard.

I would stay away from the NightForce 1-4X as it does not provide a particularly good reticle for 1X shooting and has weak daytime illumination. I own a NF 2.5-10X, but it is used for a midrange shooting.

I really depends also on what you want to spend. And what you want to do.

My favorite RDS is the Trijicon SRS and the Aimpoint T-1. But my next scope will be a 1-6X maybe a Trijicon VCOG for a new SCAR 17s.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 09-23-2013 at 1:48 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Good info, thanks. I have heard similar about NF 1-4 and I also have the 2.5x10 and am aware of what the limitations I may incurr. I am also waiting to see the new US Optics 1-4 that is being tested but I heard it may be in the $1800 range which is ridiculously expensive for a 1-4 scope in my opinion. Don't know if that price will be accurate or not yet. I have also been looking at various 1-6 models as you suggested. I don't want to much weight though and some of those 1-6 models are pretty heavy.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Bushnell 1-6.5X24 SFP with BTR-2 reticle would be a good pick. The BTR-2 reticle would allow for precise holdovers at max mag using the mil spaced hash marks. I like the SFP design for scope with a wide magnification range like this. You need a very cleverly designed reticle to have it expand to 6 times it's size (Or contract to 1/6 it's size) and still be functional. Very few reticle designs out there do this very well.

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...ated-btr-1-sfp
Old 09-24-2013, 2:49 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Good info, thanks. I have heard similar about NF 1-4 and I also have the 2.5x10 and am aware of what the limitations I may incurr. I am also waiting to see the new US Optics 1-4 that is being tested but I heard it may be in the $1800 range which is ridiculously expensive for a 1-4 scope in my opinion. Don't know if that price will be accurate or not yet. I have also been looking at various 1-6 models as you suggested. I don't want to much weight though and some of those 1-6 models are pretty heavy.
Yup, that's one of the trade offs. Weight is an issue. US Optics has had a 1-4X for a long time is this a new model? US Optics scopes are pretty heavy too.

Part of the reason for the weight of some of these scopes is that they are being made to handle military use. I read that the military is looking at 1-6X and 1-8X for deployment. That is what the Leupold Mk6 is. For contrast look at the VX-6 which is lighter.

I'm a big Trijicon fan because they are pretty rugged, even the hunting Accupoint scopes hold up well. So I'm interested in the new VCOG. The VCOG also uses a full sized AA battery instead of those dinky coin sized cells we all use. I also happen to like the fact that you do not need rings to mount it.

I would never pay more than maybe $1200 for a 1-4X. Especially since the Vortex Razor 1-6X is such a fine scope for around $1400. The Vortex is very heavy, but I'd buy it if I liked the reticle a tiny bit better. It is built for 3Gun and has a ranging reticle based on 10" steel targets. I'd prefer a ranging reticle based on head size and shoulder width, which I can relate to better.

Good luck on your search. But I think you'll have to have to deal with the weight if you want to be able to pound tent stakes with it in Astan.
Old 09-24-2013, 7:00 PM

It is a new scope from USO that they are field testing. A guy I know on another site sent me a few pics of it from a carbine class he took put on by Kyle Lamb and the USO scope was on HK 416 with a 10.5 barrel. There were like 3 rifles that had the new USO scope for testing purposes. I agree though the price may be to much for the ordinary shooter. I am keeping options open at this point and just researching all the various models mentioned and the pros and cons. I know I don't want it to be to heavy though so that may limit choices.
Old 09-25-2013, 8:12 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
It is a new scope from USO that they are field testing. A guy I know on another site sent me a few pics of it from a carbine class he took put on by Kyle Lamb and the USO scope was on HK 416 with a 10.5 barrel. There were like 3 rifles that had the new USO scope for testing purposes. I agree though the price may be to much for the ordinary shooter. I am keeping options open at this point and just researching all the various models mentioned and the pros and cons. I know I don't want it to be to heavy though so that may limit choices.
Take a look at the Trijicon VCOG 1-6X. The MSRP is ridiculous, but I think the price will come down fairly quickly. Some people really like the ELCAN, but I'm not yet convinced.

The other option is to buy a good quality scope that is a little cheaper mid-price, then sell it when something comes along that you really like. Some scopes hold their value pretty well. Or you could buy a cheaper scope and just put it on a beater rifle when you find THE right scope.

Things are changing so fast in the optics arena.