Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 03-31-2023, 9:15 PM

Default QD sling swivels

Hello All,

Well, finally getting around to accessorizing my Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifle. It has two QD cups on the side of the stock already for sling swivels. In looking at the various ones on the market, it hit me that most MAY have one fault in common. The release button. It's a single push button in the middle.

On some of them the button is quite pronounced. On a brand or two the button seems to be recessed into the body of the swivel. Then I came across the HD Magpul swivel (pics attached).

The Magpul MAG543 has it's release mechanism on the side like a pair of fingernail clippers instead of the center push button. I would think this is a better mechanism and less prone to an accidental release. Have any of you actually used the MAG543 and how did you like them? Thanks, B.
Old 04-01-2023, 2:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’ve used the qd button attachments for years and everyone I shoot with does. Through many days of training classes I’ve never seen one come undone on accident. I have seen people drop their rifle right when they’re slinging their gun up but that’s because they didn’t snap it in all the way when they put it on. I would just buy decent brands and not some junk off eBay or Amazon. I’m sure someone will chime in that has had them fail 14 times but not my experience.
Old 04-01-2023, 7:56 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenBruce View Post
Hello All,

Well, finally getting around to accessorizing my Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifle. It has two QD cups on the side of the stock already for sling swivels. In looking at the various ones on the market, it hit me that most MAY have one fault in common. The release button. It's a single push button in the middle.

On some of them the button is quite pronounced. On a brand or two the button seems to be recessed into the body of the swivel. Then I came across the HD Magpul swivel (pics attached).

The Magpul MAG543 has it's release mechanism on the side like a pair of fingernail clippers instead of the center push button. I would think this is a better mechanism and less prone to an accidental release. Have any of you actually used the MAG543 and how did you like them? Thanks, B.
I have the traditional one button Magpuls on everything and the MAG543 on one rifle. After living with them both, I prefer the traditional, it's more intuitive as far as muscle memory. I have to slightly think about how to undo the 543, while I don't have to think about the traditional ones. I won't be putting the 543s on anything else. They work fine, like all Magpul stuff, but traditional is traditional for a reason, it's an industry standard. I've NEVER had a traditional QD sling release release accidentally. Ever.

Old 04-02-2023, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I found out the hard way that 1.25" leather 1907 sling does not fit through the Magpul 1.25" QD sling swivel.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:07 AM

Ok thanks David and Capy.

MyOdessa, what went wrong? Which swivel were you using? B.