Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 05-01-2019, 8:34 PM

Default Inside The Home Storage

I've got a question for all the Cal-Gunners. My primary gun safe is in the garage. It serves its purpose. I'd like to have something smaller in my bedroom. It should be sturdy (at least strong enough to keep kids from accessing it) yet I should be able to access it fairly quickly if need be.

Any ideas? I was thinking about the Gun Vault.... There's lots of options out there. Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 05-01-2019, 9:19 PM

how 'ready' do you want the firearms to be? There are in-wall lockers that fit between wall studs, for both handguns and long guns. There are rack-style that are mounted on the wall and wrap around the action of a long gun with the gun mostly exposed. There are small lockboxes with simplex or electronic pushbutton locks.
Gunvault makes a noce pistol lockbox that's vertically oriented and opens to present the handgun for the draw. Bolt it to a bed frame / headboard or nightstand. 4 button combination lock.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 PM

Old 05-02-2019, 6:50 AM

Stay mechanical for speed, reliability, and durability that will last you probably a life time. This category of electronics are not the best quality and when they fail it is usually without warning.

You will spend more initially since the Simplex lock cost as much as some complete electronic safes do. You will also get thicker steel for the most part with the mechanical ones.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 05-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Calguns Addict

What are you trying to secure? One pistol? One rifle? Multiple guns? If you're looking for quick access I would try to stick to a mechanical simplex lock. Anything with electronics/batteries is just one more thing that can fail...at possibly the worst possible time.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I looked into the V-Line in-wall units.

https://www.vlineind.com/shop/closet...-safe/#reviews

They are a little pricey. Have thought about one but prices for something that is 14 gauge? Not so sure about that.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Love the Fort Knox PB4 with the simplex lock.
I have two. One for bolting down next to the bed. I put the other one in a backpack (travel/hunting trips) and can just zip open the top of the backpack to access the gun in seconds.
Have used them for years and still love the function and fast access.
Its 1/4 thick steel and DOJ approved container.

On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 20. Love it!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 11:16 AM

I've had a gunvault multivault since my first gun purchase, which has 2 shelves for 2 handguns and room for spare mags. I've not bolted it to the floor or anything, so it is not ideal at all. It was the first safety device I bought for firearms. It's decent. There are videos around youtube on how to defeat multiple gunvault's electric locks.

If I was to pick anything now, for having something that is easily accessible, close to the bed, and safe from kids, yet reliable and sturdy and not dependent on batteries/electricity--I'd go FAS1. (See the ad post above hehe)
Old 05-06-2019, 1:40 PM

I'd stay away from any electronic lock - especially Gun Vault, which is JUNK.

I have 2 Gun Vaults. The electronic locks quit (with new batteries) & the manufacturer said, "Just use the key." You won't get to choose the time when the electronic lock quits. If it quits during an emergency, the only one who will be happy is the intruder.

The 5-push button locks (Fort Knox, Amsec, Stealth) will always work.
Old 05-07-2019, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
Nope...requires visible abs to deploy weapon.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 AM

As stated above go the Ft Knox or the 'AmSec'. I've not seen the FAS1 above?

Avoid the electronic locks, at, all, costs.

Buy a tool, not a toy.
Old 05-08-2019, 8:35 PM

V-line has some cool stuff for this on their website.
Old 05-09-2019, 9:02 AM

I have a small locking case in the bedroom and one in the garage with pistols to be immediately available. The one in the house was to keep my kid's hands off it when I was not around - when I'm home it's empty. The one in the garage is the same thing. It's only locked in when I'm not around.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Vline brute or fas1 for handgun. Depends on mounting preference, both are legit. I've got 8 fas1 and two brutes.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 05-16-2019, 6:43 AM

I have been using a vline for 10+ years. It gets opened every morning when I get my gun out and every evening to put my gun away.

https://www.vlineind.com/products/
Old 05-16-2019, 7:38 AM

Been looking for the same. Found this article: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers...mall-gun-safe/
Old 05-16-2019, 9:52 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

I have a Titan Vault now but it really does not fit my HK Expert 45, I can get it in there but its really tight, it is however CADOJ approved.

I want to go with something a little bigger and found one I really like, but its not CADOJ approved.

I know there are some bills going through "discussions" now and they will all become law, how important is CADOJ approval for the storage device ? I am primarily thinking my truck AND my camping trailer which is my "home" while camping, those bills will require CADOJ approved devices for the home, or will just a good strong lock box work ?