Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-13-2020, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
might want to proceed with caution on these newly released revolvers

Hickok45 noting an issue he encountered with cycling the one he was reviewing and uploaded the content today - @ 30:30 in the video he encounters the cylinder issue

i'm more than willing to wait and see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U
I'm sure Colt will get these ironed out eventually but here's another (different) failure where the firing pin isn't striking the cartridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNrm9vOQBo

I'll wait to pick one of these up down the road.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:08 PM

^^^^^^^^

I viewed the kid's other original video and he is also having Hickok45's issue of the cylinder not turning.

The guys on Colt Forum are having issues with marred muzzles/crowns on the their new Pythons as well. Not a great launch for this firearm.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 01-13-2020, 12:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I handled one this weekend at River City Gun Exchange. "In person" it looks and feels in hand more like the old model Python than may be apparent in photos. The DA trigger is much better than the old model. SA thumb cocking is very smooth but not as soft. I'd say that's due in part to the different lock work but also because the thumbpiece isn't as elongated. I'll wait to buy one, but definitely will. On its own it, seems like a well thought out and made gun.

Last edited by dfletcher; 01-13-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 6:10 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

I'm surprised how nice the Ruger GP's look up close these days. Was hard to pass up when Turners had then on sale over the holidays.
Old 01-13-2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I handled one this weekend at River City Gun Exchange. "In person" it looks and feels in hand more like the old model Python than may be apparent in photos. The DA trigger is much better than the old model. SA thumb cocking is very smooth but not as soft. I'd say that's due in part to the different lock work but also because the thumbpiece isn't as elongated. I'll wait to buy one, but definitely will. On its own it, seems like a well thought out and made gun.

I think we handled the same one I ended up buying the last king cobra 4Ē model they had and I put down a deposit on the python in 6Ē but I am reconsidering it. Not only because of the potential issues they are having but also because of the SA only. I canít find any diagram or instructions showing the new pythons internals, and I donít really want to have to deal with it. Iíd just wait for it to be released on the roster and buy it in the future.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:15 PM

Best practical comparison and contrast video I've watched so far. He puts a Lyman trigger pull gauge on both guns in single action and gets 4lb 1oz on the 2020 Python and 3lbs 1oz on his 1982 python.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
I think we handled the same one I ended up buying the last king cobra 4Ē model they had and I put down a deposit on the python in 6Ē but I am reconsidering it. Not only because of the potential issues they are having but also because of the SA only. I canít find any diagram or instructions showing the new pythons internals, and I donít really want to have to deal with it. Iíd just wait for it to be released on the roster and buy it in the future.
Can't you just buy it, DROS it then have them fix the broken trigger after you pick it up? But I doubt you'll have to wait long for the roster. I only saved maybe a month when I SAE'd my .357 LCRx.
Old 01-14-2020, 4:08 PM

Never buy a brand new released gun. Always issues with first batch and prices are normally jacked up too
Old 01-14-2020, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Check post #7 for a shot of the internals.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/pyt...re-thread.html

The DA sear will drop out easy - pin will push out with finger pressure. Should be simple. Of all the SA conversions I've done or revolvers I've worked with these look to be about the easiest to do.
Old 01-14-2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Check post #7 for a shot of the internals.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/pyt...re-thread.html

The DA sear will drop out easy - pin will push out with finger pressure. Should be simple. Of all the SA conversions I've done or revolvers I've worked with these look to be about the easiest to do.

Thanks for the links. I ended up putting the deposit in though at Turners, so it will probably be around in the spring. I think I’ll wait to see about these issues before I buy. Also, the % markup where is saw it at will make it over $2100. They sold the one they had for $2100 and the next ones will probably be more until the market settles. Turners was $1449.
Old 01-14-2020, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I ended up putting the deposit in though at Turners, so it will probably be around in the spring. I think Iíll wait to see about these issues before I buy. Also, the % markup where is saw it at will make it over $2100. They sold the one they had for $2100 and the next ones will probably be more until the market settles. Turners was $1449.
A fool and his money will soon be parted.

This is referencing to those who are paying over MSRP for the new Python.
Old 01-20-2020, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I paid $660.00 for my brand new 6" Python in Royal Blue in 1989.
I still have it. It's nice, but not that nice.
I can understand paying 2-2.5k for an original because they were supposedly discontinued for good.
But to pay that kind of money for a new version, even if it was working flawlessly, I just don't get it.

It's just not worth it. Old version/new version, $1.5k is just too much for an in production revolver IMO.
Old 01-20-2020, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
I can understand paying 2-2.5k for an original because they were supposedly discontinued for good.
But to pay that kind of money for a new version, even if it was working flawlessly, I just don't get it.

It's just not worth it. Old version/new version, $1.5k is just too much for an in production revolver IMO.
Well, your $660 in 1989 would be $1,360 today (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/). Thatís pretty close to $1,500.

Old 01-20-2020, 7:15 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Well, your $660 in 1989 would be $1,360 today (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/). Thatís pretty close to $1,500.
My goal is to wait for the rush to die down and pic one up for between $1299-$1399.

Thank you for the inflation adjustment. I feel the price is worth it for the new one, considering I was in elementary school in 89' and did not have $660 bucks.
Old 01-20-2020, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's one way to justify the purchase. If someone can't live without one, by all means take the plunge.

Personally, I'd buy a S&W 7 shot for half the price.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, your $660 in 1989 would be $1,360 today (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/). That’s pretty close to $1,500.
If I had a nickel for every time someone has said "WULL I BAWGHT MINE IN 1965 FOR $300 AND AN ONION, WHY DOES IT COST $1500 NOW" while discussing this Python re-release, then I could buy a new Colt Python. Personal finance should be a mandatory class in high school.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
IN 1965 FOR $300 AND AN ONION
Hahaha. You made me snort-laugh.

Though, that would suck an awful lot to spend so much on something with issues like this right out of the gate.

On wrestling with ego and sin- ĒNot only am I not above it, Iím swinging haymakers in the pigsty sometimesĒ

-Big Bear

Last edited by Grouchy Bear; 01-20-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Who are you kidding? If you had a nickel for every time someone said "WULL I BAWGHT MINE IN 1965 FOR $300 AND AN ONION " you would have ZERO nickel's.

Step up and buy one Mr. Personal Finance. I'd rather spend my money on something worth $1500 bucks.
Old 01-21-2020, 6:51 AM

Default Bingo...malfunctions right out of the gate

BIG Black eye for Colt......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
might want to proceed with caution on these newly released revolvers

Hickok45 noting an issue he encountered with cycling the one he was reviewing and uploaded the content today - @ 30:30 in the video he encounters the cylinder issue

i'm more than willing to wait and see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson
Old 01-21-2020, 7:49 AM

Quote:

If I want a top notch new production revolver, it will be a Korth-Nighthawk.
Old 01-21-2020, 8:09 AM

The vast majority of folks on other forums who have received the 2020 Python are pleased with the product, and the issues that have been noted are sure to be resolved.

I think it's great Colt released this revolver and even better that it will likely get on the roster. I'll be watching, assuming the kinks get worked out, and when it gets on the roster and the prices settle at MSRP or less then I'll probably buy the 6" and 4.25" version.

All is good, for some the 2020 Python isn't worth it for others it is, folks should do what they want with their money, and the market will decide. Personally, I hope Colt does well with this one because they are the most historically significant and iconic American firearms company; additionally, even if it's a little pricier, I'd like to see a blued version of the new Python.
Old 01-21-2020, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Only $5549.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/revo...ose-silver-357
Old 01-21-2020, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
Mine is the 4" Mongoose, with optional 9mm cylinder. A fantastically smooth action if there ever was. I'll take it over any python, old or new, any day. Some day I'll have a nice wooden case made for it.
Old 01-21-2020, 8:56 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
The thing/issue is just that. I like many others do not care for nor own a single revolver.

We want a Colt Python, because....well...it's a Colt Python.

You may be seeing a whole group of new revolver owners who start buying more revolvers just because of the Colt Python.
Old 01-21-2020, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Who are you kidding? If you had a nickel for every time someone said "WULL I BAWGHT MINE IN 1965 FOR $300 AND AN ONION " you would have ZERO nickel's.
Are you telling me that I haven't read all of the threads on this and other forums about the Colt Python?

Can you please cite your source proving that I haven't read threads on this and other forums about the Colt Python?

By the way, apostrophes don't denote plurality. You're allowed to just concatenate an "s" onto the end of the word that you want to pluralize. Nickel becomes nickels.

Quote:
Step up and buy one Mr. Personal Finance. I'd rather spend my money on something worth $1500 bucks.
Nah, I spent my gun budget for this year on suppressors, another AR, and a couple pistols that weren't available in CA. I'm not spending $1500 on any gun right now, let alone a 6-shot Boomer's Delight pea-shooter.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Are you telling me that I haven't read all of the threads on this and other forums about the Colt Python?

Can you please cite your source proving that I haven't read threads on this and other forums about the Colt Python?

By the way, apostrophes don't denote plurality. You're allowed to just concatenate an "s" onto the end of the word that you want to pluralize. Nickel becomes nickels.

Nah, I spent my gun budget for this year on suppressors, another AR, and a couple pistols that weren't available in CA. I'm not spending $1500 on any gun right now, let alone a 6-shot Boomer's Delight pea-shooter.
A-What I'm saying is you never heard anyone say "WULL I BAWGHT MINE IN 1965 FOR $300 AND AN ONION, WHY DOES IT COST $1500 NOW" .

B- It's not necessary. See A^

C-As far as your grammar lesson goes, who gives a "F". You got the message.

I'm done here.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
My goal is to wait for the rush to die down and pic one up for between $1299-$1399.
$1299 might be a stretch. I talked with a shop owner I know the other day and he said the dealer price on the new Python was $1275. He's a high volume dealer and even he says there's not much profit in the gun at retail.