Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Default Weatherby Magnum, any thoughts.

Folks,

Any thoughts on the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum? What a rocket ship, 3600fps with 127gr Barnes LRX. About 3500ft/lbs impact energy, what say you? A2
Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 PM

I say WHY? If you need 3500 ft lbs of energy, you should probably be using a larger, heavier bullet. I say there is no way to ethically use the range the cartridge offers, so once you admit that you should not be shooting deer at 900 yards, what is the point?

IMO, this cartridge does nothing that a 7mm Rem mag or 280ai won’t do for 99.9% of people, and those cartridges will do it with way less noise, recoil and expense.

Hats off to the Barnes LRX though. The 95gr 6mm and 145gr 7mm are two of the most accurate bullets I’ve ever tested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2020, 10:36 PM

Significantly over-bore. I prefer something that's enjoyable to shoot, and has barrel life measured in 3 digits or more.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I have one and like it. The recoil is not bad. Accuracy is excellent. Will I shoot 5000 rounds out of it at paper targets? No but it will last a very long time for some paper shooting and more game shooting. BESIDES all these snowflakes make a big deal out of the cost of a new barrel. It is not that bad. I have had 4 rifles rebarreled and the cost was about 380 each for excellent SS barrels. Hell I shot out a 223 varmint barrel on a Rem700, my daughter shot out a 257R barrel(and that is hard to do). I had a well used 7mmREm mag barreled to a 264win mag that I like even more and a friend had a 30-06 M70 redone.
I have taken game with mine in Texas and Utah with excellent results. The 257W is over-bored also but I like mine and have taken a lot of animals with it. IF I shoot the barrel out of either of my Weatherby rifles(or any other non-Weatherby) I will just put a new and probably better barrel on them.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:05 AM

I love Weatherby’s flattest, fastest Magnum’s for hunting. More energy down range is always better. With the all copper in CA for hunting, that extra speed translates into better expansion of the bullet down range.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

For hunting?
Old 01-13-2020, 2:31 AM

I love my .300wby
Old 01-13-2020, 7:48 AM

I'm sure it would make a excellent 1,000 yard cartridge if your into long range shooting or if your into shooting at animals that far away. I'm not so for me I don't need one, Anything beyond 500 yards is pretty much "off limits" to myself. Not that I can't shoot that far and hit what I want but I don't want to. I would rather pass on the shot or work to get closer. Call around to the pawn shops and look for a good one I have see at least two of the Weatherby's sold and pawned right after hunting season 2019 and cheap to, both went for around 300-350 and if I remember right they were both Vangards and in very nice shape. I'm thinking of getting a Tika in 7mm Rem Mag and it's another good caliber I probably don't need.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, I bet used .300 Weatherbys in great shape are easy to find. The thief bastid that stole mine only shot 3 rounds out of it (cops recovered my ammo) before he'd had enough.

7mm Rem is probably a good choice. It would be fairly easy to convert to 6.5 PRC or a SAUM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:22 AM

I have a .257 Wthby Vanguard that I like very much. I put a MacMillan Edge stock on it to lighten it up a bit. I don't plan on shooting anything over 400 yards away, but I appreciate the flat trajectory.

I also had a .300 Wthby Model 700 that I took most of my elk with. A .300 Win would have worked as well, or even a .30-06 since none of them were shot that far off. I now use a .300 Win Tikka T3 or .30-06 '03 Springfield for the most part.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 01-13-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 AM

It becomes more and more important when driving a bullet faster and faster to be sure to use a well constructed bullet designed for those velocity's. Some people simply don't think of that fact and trundle out into the hills giving it no thought.
Old 01-13-2020, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you will see after a couple years of the all lead ban in California that hunters will have two decisions to make.
They can switch to faster chamberings to retain there current lead bullet ballistics or they will need to replace there existing barrels to take advantage of the high BC solids.
The difference between a 0.450 BC bullet and a 0.600 BC bullet is about 300 FPS with exceptions as always.
A 123 Warner Flatline at 3500 has a point blank range at 430 yards which is extremely flat.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 01-13-2020 at 1:05 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just have to handload to afford the ammo.
Old 01-13-2020, 3:20 PM

Sounds like a .264 Winchester Magnum to me. Go for it.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 01-13-2020, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a 264win mag and the 6.5X300W and there is a difference. The 6.5X300W is quite a bit faster.
I also have a 6.5X55 and the comparison of the 264 to the 6.5X300 is much like comparing the 6.5X55 to the 264
Old 01-13-2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I think you will see after a couple years of the all lead ban in California that hunters will have two decisions to make.
They can switch to faster chamberings to retain there current lead bullet ballistics or they will need to replace there existing barrels to take advantage of the high BC solids.
The difference between a 0.450 BC bullet and a 0.600 BC bullet is about 300 FPS with exceptions as always.
A 123 Warner Flatline at 3500 has a point blank range at 430 yards which is extremely flat.
The only decisions that I see the vast majority of California hunters making are 1) which brand of lead-free ammo am I going to get, and 2) how much do I need to adjust my scope/sight system to make it hit "minute of deer".
They will then fire half a box (maybe), and call it good. The End.
Old 01-13-2020, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As I'm pretty certain your average deer/pig/everything else hunter in CA won't give two hoots about ballistic coefficient (unless it's printed on the box as a point of advertising) and doesn't shoot game far enough away that a slight advantage in BC is going to make a huge difference. As such, I imagine faster chamberings will become more popular.

If anyone is of the opinion that impact velocities of 2600fps or greater are more likely to create DRT kills with expanding monometal bullets (after this year I am) this 6.5-300 gives you a 'DRT range' of 425 yards with that LRX vs. the 6.5x55 with it's 'DRT range' of about 50 yards.

Of course if you don't care or believe in the 2600 fps barrier then the Swede still carries 2000 fps out to about 400 yards, which is further than I care to shoot at game anyway.

My only misgivings are that I've seen Barnes bullets lose one or more petals when impacting above 3000 fps; which for the 6.5-300 would be inside of 200 yards.
Old 01-13-2020, 6:54 PM

I got mine 3 years ago and love it, took an elk first time out with it.
Shot it 40 rounds to break it in without any recoil problems.
Redding dies and 140 grn bullets made it shoot like a SOB
Old 01-13-2020, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I should added any California hunter considering a 6.5/300 Weatherby to my original post.

The average California deer hunter kills 1 deer every 20 years and that hunter could care less about ballistics or where to toss his/her cigarette butt or beer can and isn't going to pay for factory Weatherby ammunition at $3 a round.
They also don't reload or know how fast the ammo they are currently using is flying out the end of there barrel.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 01-13-2020 at 7:10 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 7:28 PM

I shoot 3 1/2 in 12 mag turkey loads at 74 lbs recoil. It gives you white light like you've been punched in the head by Tyson. That said, even 20 some lbs recoil is not fun shooting repeatedly. I'm looking to step down from .300 win mag to 6.5 x 284 or so.
Old 01-13-2020, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The average California ... isn't going to pay for factory Weatherby ammunition at $3 a round.
They also don't reload or know how fast the ammo they are currently using is flying out the end of there barrel.
You are of course entirely correct. The average California hunter who would pay $3.00/round for factory Weatherby ammunition is likely above average in wealth and not likely to flick their cigarette butts and beer cans anywhere they please. They probably still don't reload or know their muzzle velocity. While they probably have a general idea of what ballistic coefficient is they likely just pick the most expensive box of factory ammo and shoot that.
Old 01-13-2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Folks,

Any thoughts on the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum? What a rocket ship, 3600fps with 127gr Barnes LRX. About 3500ft/lbs impact energy, what say you? A2
Well since you asked...

If it's something a fella (or a gal) has to have, it's not my place to talk him (or her) out of it. If you have to have one because you have to have one, it's your money.

However...

Apparently the ammunition is expensive and it's not commonly available. For me that's a big negative because I'm going to be thinking about the cost ever time I pull the trigger and if I take it hunting, I'm going to be thinking about whether I can bring enough with me in case I manage to run out (it happens) and if I have to reload for it, well I just don't have the time for another caliber.

Some hunters may like the greater point blank range it offers. If at all possible I want to be able to stick the muzzle of my rifle in the critter's ribs and then pull the trigger. I don't need a cartridge that leaves the muzzle at 3500 FPS for that.

For me anyway, the money saved by not buying another rifle can be put to good use on practice ammo for the rifles I have.
Old 01-13-2020, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Id rather have a 7mm bee if <300. I did have a 510 wells which is like a 460 bee on steroids. It was.... hard to shoot
Old 01-13-2020, 9:15 PM

I bought 2 boxs of factory ammo for the break in and one unprimed brass.
I three years still using the factory brass,
Almost never shoot more than three rounds a year on the actual hunt.
Usually only one or two.
Old 01-14-2020, 4:12 AM
Calguns Addict

For the break in on a factory barrel speaks volumes.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 01-14-2020, 4:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
You are of course entirely correct. The average California hunter who would pay $3.00/round for factory Weatherby ammunition is likely above average in wealth and not likely to flick their cigarette butts and beer cans anywhere they please. They probably still don't reload or know their muzzle velocity. While they probably have a general idea of what ballistic coefficient is they likely just pick the most expensive box of factory ammo and shoot that.

Which is exactly my point that this round is for the more advanced hunter and a few wealthy guys using guides that won't shoot last 100 yards from the Escalade before the guide guts and skins the deer for them
And in California you pick the box of ammo that says no lead on the label.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Which is exactly my point that this round is for the more advanced hunter and a few wealthy guys using guides that won't shoot last 100 yards from the Escalade before the guide guts and skins the deer for them
And in California you pick the box of ammo that says no lead on the label.
Not everyone (including the 'advanced hunters') drives a bench and 14 lbs rifle out to their favorite spot with the intention of shooting deer at 1000+ yards such that the difference in trajectory made between a not-approved-for-CA non-expanding high ballistic coefficient bullet (like say a 123 grain 6.5 Warner Flatline) and one approved for hunting (like say a 127 grain Barnes LRX) would be such a big deal.
Old 01-14-2020, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Not everyone (including the 'advanced hunters') drives a bench and 14 lbs rifle out to their favorite spot with the intention of shooting deer at 1000+ yards such that the difference in trajectory made between a not-approved-for-CA non-expanding high ballistic coefficient bullet (like say a 123 grain 6.5 Warner Flatline) and one approved for hunting (like say a 127 grain Barnes LRX) would be such a big deal.
And the guy using a 308 with a 180 grain solid in his 16 inch barrel doesn't even know what a 6.5/300 Weatherby even is nor will he ever buy one.
It's a specialty round for those who can appreciate it for the performance it gives and despite what you think that is the guy with the bench and the 14 pound rifle more often than it is the guy using the 308 with a 16 inch barrel who doesn't reload.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 01-14-2020 at 1:18 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 1:41 PM
Calguns Addict

LynnJr--I agree and I consider myself one of the advanced hunters who appreciate the round and usually do not shoot at 600 yards but...………….
I do not need a 257W or 6.5X300W because I already have 257R and 25-06 as well as 6.5X55 and 264Win mag that will usually do whatever I need. Need is not the question. Want was the question and answer and that is all that is important to me. I could have probably hunted everything I have with my 1st 30-06 rifle. But were is the fun in that.
I recently goy a 338Fed especially for Calif. The 160gr Barnes TTSX I think will work well in it. I could use one of my other cartridges like a 308W or 30-06 but the larger diameter bullet is a plus I think. I could have used my trusty 338win mag and even downloaded it if looking at less recoil. BUT this rifle is shorter and lighter and especially a new cartridge for me to get blooded. Different strokes for different folks.

I say to each his own and do not put them down unless it is something illegal, not ethical or using a marginal cartridge for what you are hunting. Well maybe something that is just plain stupid would also qualify
Old 01-14-2020, 1:44 PM

I’m not a big fan of a lot of recoil. The amount of powder to drive a WBY bullet is a bit of a waste. The expense of loaded WBY ammo is almost comical. They do make very fine firearms, I’ve owned a couple of vanguards. Maybe I’ll eventually get bored of the .270/280/.30-06 but they’ll never not work, even with copper ammo. I shot two deer this year with Barnes copper 130 from a 270 and it worked well, no blood trails though. The deer went 30-40 yards and just died. I’ve shot a couple of deer with fed prem trophy copper in recent years and they seem to expand better and leave blood trails. I wish they would sell them as components. Barnes are very, very accurate though. I have started loading the higher bc 145 LRX for the .280 too so we’ll see how that goes....
Old 01-14-2020, 2:51 PM

Got my Wyoming deer this year with 6.5-284. That was a nice shooter, very accurate, an mild recoil.

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6...ion-cartridge/
Old 01-14-2020, 3:04 PM

The amount of powder to drive a WBY bullet is a bit of a waste.

My .300 doesn't like to be downloaded either. Which is dumb,because it's a West German with the 22". I shoot 200 grain TSX's loaded to factory spec (which is 2900,but I'm probably a couple hundred under that with the short pipe,never bothered to chrono the load) out of it. Seriously tempted to make it a .35 Whelan.
Old 01-14-2020, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

FishNFrank---Fed has started selling those bullets as components.

DrewN---If I want a downloaded Weatherby cartridge I will just use a different one. Like a 30-06 or 308win and not the 300Weatherby. Since I have 257R and 25-06 I can use one of them and not my 257W. I have 6.5X55 and 264win mag that I can use and not my 6.5X300W.
As far as wasting powder just do not be cheap or get a cheaper to load cartridge. No big deal. Do not overthink it

Last edited by Divernhunter; 01-14-2020 at 4:44 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
FishNFrank---Fed has started selling those bullets as components.

DrewN---If I want a downloaded Weatherby cartridge I will just use a different one. Like a 30-06 or 308win and not the 300Weatherby. Since I have 257R and 25-06 I can use one of them and not my 257W. I have 6.5X55 and 264win mag that I can use and not my 6.5X300W.
As far as wasting powder just do not be cheap or get a cheaper to load cartridge. No big deal. Do not overthink it
I just think pretty much any magnum with a shorter barrel is a little dumb. But I wasn't going to pass up a cherry LH MKV just because the barrel was 22". I have plenty of various other magnums (not all left hand though and all 26"),but I like the way this carries with the short tube,thus my thinking of rebarreling to a short barrel friendly cartridge. The elk won't know the difference.
Old 01-14-2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Folks,

Ever think of changing your name to firestarter
Old 01-14-2020, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Firestarter now That was funny.
In all seriousness you have guys hunting varmints and predators with a 22 Hornet or 223 while others use a 22-250 or 220 Swift.
Different strokes for different folks.
Weatherby has always been on the high velocity side of things so the 6.5/300 is right up there with there reputation.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 01-14-2020, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Fat,

I enjoy hearing the replies. For some reason, I devour any info about Weatherby firearms. It’s such a great story, of when California was California. Weatherby, Armalite, Sierra, Buck knives, to mention a few. A2

Last edited by USMCM16A2; 01-14-2020 at 9:52 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How will OP use the rifle?

Where will you find Ammo?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-15-2020, 6:49 AM

If your going to use a short barrel (under 24 inches) with a magnum cartridge don't bother, you lose to much velocity. Just use a standard cartridge and save yourself the money. Both of my .300 Win. Mags have a 26 inch barrel on them.