Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2019, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

DC is now shall issue. If that case had been appealed to the SCOTUS we might have shall issue here too. It was not for that reasoning, losing one city is better than losing the entire country.

8 states remain "may issue" or even less. That is assured to remain as defacto law as the SCOTUS has checked out.
Old 07-26-2019, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If you go to that linked article (https://www.10news.com/news/team-10/...eapon-licenses) and watch the video at the top to ~3:18 in, you'll hear the reporter say there's a GC by a father seeking a CCW "solely for personal protection and protection of my children." Presumably these are all GCs that passed. If so, that last one sure sounds like SD/PP = GC

If you'd like to help by going through those 100 GC statements to track that one down (and any others that sound like SD/PP = GC w/o any reasons why they're at higher than average risk of attack, the link is embedded in the last image in that article), we'd be much obliged!
By comparing the image shown on the news report of that "solely for personal protection and protection of my children" GC statement with the .pdf, I quickly found it at p. 94 That applicant gave a 1 1/3rd page GC statement reviewing many instances of when he and/or his family are at higher risk than average when out in public. IOW, while the news report made it seem like he was claiming SD/PP = GC, that does not reflect his actual GC statement. By the news report's standard, everyone was issued a CCW for SD -- after all if you're not going to carry for self-defense, why are carrying??? to go hunting? for target practice?

No change to San Diego's color anticipated at this time.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 07-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
By comparing the image shown on the news report of that "solely for personal protection and protection of my children" GC statement with the .pdf, I quickly found it at p. 94 That applicant gave a 1 1/3rd page GC statement reviewing many instances of when he and/or his family are at higher risk than average when out in public. IOW, while the news report made it seem like he was claiming SD/PP = GC, that does not reflect his actual GC statement. By the news report's standard, everyone was issued a CCW for SD -- after all if you're not going to carry for self-defense, why are carrying??? to go hunting? for target practice?

No change to San Diego's color anticipated at this time.
Right. Since the sheriff makes you go above and beyond in your proof of good cause, all applicants must spell out in detail why you would need to defend yourself. Hence you cannot just put “for lawful self defense” in the GC section and expect an approval like other shall-issue counties. “For self defense against violent criminals that I counsel as a substance abuse educator” is no longer plain SD as you have named a specific threat/circumstance/persons who may endanger you as opposed to an everyday citizen.

Rob
Old 07-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Paladin, could you post the link here? I’ve tried to click on all the images on the article and can’t get to the 100 good causes. Thanks in advance!

Rob
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
Paladin, could you post the link here? I’ve tried to click on all the images on the article and can’t get to the 100 good causes. Thanks in advance!

Rob
Click on the top right of the last image, just after the last paragraph ("There isn't any evidence that I could find that is the opposite that says we're safer on the streets because of concealed carry," he said.) That will make it pop out, but I think you have to sign into Google/YouTube to download or open the entire document.

This link might work.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LIV...nDhk4Mey2/view

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 07-26-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 12:44 PM

That worked! Thanks Paladin!

Rob
Old 07-26-2019, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Honestly, it still feels far from shall issue here. The sheriff does force a lot of legwork to back up good cause. I would say that until self defense is a valid and accepted good cause by itself, San Diego cannot truly be dark green. My two cents.

Rob
That's because it is not "Shall Issue." And I don't think anyone who is informed on this topic, is under the illusion that it is. San Diego is clearly "May Issue" at this point and the sheriff wants to see some type of example/proof that you have a higher need of protection than the average citizen.

Nobody thinks this is ideal and there is still much work left to be done to truly get to a point of "Shall Issue." But it is, most certainly, a vast improvement over the past. For all intents and purposes, San Diego was "No Issue" for decades. I'm not sure what the exact number was a couple years ago before the change but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of about 1000-1500 active permits (give or take). In a county of about 3.5 Million people, and over multiple decades, that is close enough to zero in my opinion to call the county "No Issue." As it stands now, just about anyone who wants a permit and is willing to put in the effort, can get a permit. That is a huge improvement and kudos to SDCGO for the work they've done on this.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-13-2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
The SDCGO seminars are a great guide on how to write your good cause, but if you want feedback on your GC I would email Michael Schwartz himself. The video on the website is pretty detailed but he’s they guy who met with the Sheriff in the beginning. He doesn’t charge but I would get the $10 a month membership to support the organization. He’s a busy guy as word has gotten out about SDCGO’s role in changing the Sheriff’s mind on CCW issuance. Check your PMs. Best of luck!

Rob
Thanks for the PM's. I've emailed him twice and no response. My packet is well-prepared and about a 1/2" thick at this point, though.

I feel pretty confident about my GC based on the SDCGO website and other anecdotal info. My background info actually includes SDSO/District Attorney office documents about legit past crimes against my family that I'd like mitigate/help avoid in the future through CCW, soo...I'm hopeful about getting approved.

Last edited by MissiontoMars; 08-13-2019 at 9:36 PM..
Old 08-14-2019, 7:55 AM

The vast majority of people over think it. Pretty much if you can document tour good cause it will be approved. Mine was 2 or 3 paragraphs, documentation was 1 page.