Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-22-2020, 2:19 PM

Default Hunting License Sales Data

I saw this posted on DFW's website. Big drop in license sales last year. I'm guessing due to ammo law changes but that's just a guess. Overall revenue wasn't too badly impacted -- on-par with the early part of the decade. But still not a good trend if license sales are dropping off. That means that existing hunters are spending more to offset the decline in sales -- again, just speculating.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Statistics
Old 01-22-2020, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Consider those of us who are fed up with Cal Fish and Wildlife and hunt out of state these days, myself included, it cost more with usually better results.

Psalm 1
Old 01-22-2020, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Sure, the revenue remains relatively unchanged while licenses numbers go down. That's accomplished by raising fees. At some point there will be, if not already, a case of diminishing returns. You can only raise prices so much before you'll see a plunge in revenue. I'll give them credit, the antis and the liberals are slowly accomplishing their goal of eliminating hunting in CA. they continue to slowly chip away at our hunting rights, gun ownership and access to ammo. Discourage the youth from hunting, raise fees, place more hunting and firearm restrictions on the few of us that are left and eventually you will accomplish the goal of eliminating hunting. It's unbelievable that we've reached a crisis point with our rights as hunters and gun owners.

Last edited by Bull Elk; 01-22-2020 at 3:13 PM..
Old 01-22-2020, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Well hunting in CA was super difficult, especially if the game isn't in your backyard.

I had given up. Then I moved to WY and am laughing at how accessible hunting is to the average dude.
Being able to shoot does, for one...that's a huge plus. Especially if you are poor and cheap meat is important to you. As much as the libs seem to hate trophy hunting, the practical ban on doe tags means a typical meat hunt turns into an expensive, time consuming odyssey.
Old 01-22-2020, 4:51 PM
Banned

Patriots,

Placing my bets in Wyoming, cow elk tag in, going to put in for a Buck pronghorn. Got my doe pronghorn last October, if nothing comes of it Texas. Want to get my first whitetail if the others don't work out. Screw this state, A2
Old 01-22-2020, 5:01 PM

Let’s do some commie math. D6 had 1839 tags sold out of 10,000 available and it is a premium draw hunt?? WTF!!! I’m hunting my property in Idaho this year unless my uncle wants to go again I’m done paying the commies. He did express interest at church on Sunday. Let’s see how fast he gets out his checkbook this year.
Old 01-22-2020, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

So we are discussing how much revenue generated by hunting licenses went into the general fund?

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.
Old 01-22-2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
So we are discussing how much revenue generated by hunting licenses went into the general fund?
No we are discussing how many kids get attacked by lions. While we get to scare them off with a single shot without our backpack. Look at the link under the blue hunting link. It shows tags versus applications.

Last edited by racinjason233; 01-22-2020 at 8:56 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Only 52,570 duck validations sold in 2019, over 11,000 less than in 2018, a 19.6% decrease...

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher

Last edited by MeatyMac; 01-24-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Old 01-24-2020, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

# 5 poster USMCM16A2 mind if I ask where in WYO for antelope you are drawing for ? Thanks

Psalm 1
Old 01-24-2020, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I saw this posted on DFW's website. Big drop in license sales last year. I'm guessing due to ammo law changes but that's just a guess. Overall revenue wasn't too badly impacted -- on-par with the early part of the decade. But still not a good trend if license sales are dropping off. That means that existing hunters are spending more to offset the decline in sales -- again, just speculating.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Statistics

I’ll have to look through some archives and stuff, but this is exactly what they predicted when they first dreamed up their 4 year phase in approach to a lead ban. Years ago a presentation about the projected impact of their full state lead ban was online.

They projected they would lose some hunters but their overall revenue would remain about the same.

As such, I’m going to guess they don’t care about the loss of hunters.

My wife and I took a new hunter out for ducks last weekend and we’re taking her out again this weekend; seems she’s hooked. Maybe not all is lost. The latest breed of hunters seem to be pretty well off, willing to spend money on guides professional services, and able to take enough time off to get together with a guide service, but maybe not so much to scout on their own.

If things continue in this trend I could see this state eventually limiting individual hunting rights in lieu of managed and guided hunts with a pro. It’s all the same to them so long as they get their money.
Old 01-30-2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
Let’s do some commie math. D6 had 1839 tags sold out of 10,000 available and it is a premium draw hunt?? WTF!!! I’m hunting my property in Idaho this year unless my uncle wants to go again I’m done paying the commies. He did express interest at church on Sunday. Let’s see how fast he gets out his checkbook this year.
D6 sells out early every year, that’s why it’s “premium.” Those 1839 are probably the sad sacks who put it as their first choice and actually spent points to hunt it. The link you followed was drawing results, not overall tag sales.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
D6 sells out early every year, that’s why it’s “premium.” Those 1839 are probably the sad sacks who put it as their first choice and actually spent points to hunt it. The link you followed was drawing results, not overall tag sales.
I might be mistaken but I seem to recall that D6 was over the counter until the fires. After the fires, they drastically cut the number of tags, which caused them to be sold out. Under the rules, OTC tags, if sold out, go to lottery the following year. It has been stuck there ever since. I don't know how a zone goes back to OTC again or if it's even possible.
Old 02-01-2020, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I might be mistaken but I seem to recall that D6 was over the counter until the fires. After the fires, they drastically cut the number of tags, which caused them to be sold out. Under the rules, OTC tags, if sold out, go to lottery the following year. It has been stuck there ever since. I don't know how a zone goes back to OTC again or if it's even possible.
After the Rim Fire they cut tags to 6k for one year. Everyone wanted to hunt it after it had been closed and it sold out early. There is a date whereby if all tags are sold before then, the next year it is considered a premium zone. They’ve since restored it to 10k tags but it still sells out every year before the date so it remains a premium zone. If you put it as your second choice you’ll be able to “draw” it every year without spending points. If the remainder of the tags don’t sell out before the cutoff date in a given year, the next year it would be back to a general zone.