Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:10 AM

Default Shooting Glasses

I'm in the market for a set of better shooting glasses. I shoot primarily red dot but also red fiber optics.

When searching the Interwebs, searching for "best shooting glasses," many options pop up. What's not popping up is Hunters HD Gold or Ruby glasses. They are highly regarded by some shooters, but seem to be in a universe of their own. On the East Coast, I'd be able to find they at major matches to try out, but here in California I would have to order them blindly, not knowing if they even fit my head.

I'm not sure if Hunters isn't just a great marketing scheme for glasses costing $349 list. Again, if I search for "best shooting glasses" they don't even make the list -- any list.

What's your take on this?
Old 07-31-2022, 10:27 AM
Banned

I use Randolph Ranges, and like them. They have interchangeable lens.

There's some guy on the shotgun forum that's always spewing about shooting glasses. He owns a lens factory or something.

Maybe try asking there.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
I'm in the market for a set of better shooting glasses. I shoot primarily red dot but also red fiber optics.

When searching the Interwebs, searching for "best shooting glasses," many options pop up. What's not popping up is Hunters HD Gold or Ruby glasses. They are highly regarded by some shooters, but seem to be in a universe of their own. On the East Coast, I'd be able to find they at major matches to try out, but here in California I would have to order them blindly, not knowing if they even fit my head.

I'm not sure if Hunters isn't just a great marketing scheme for glasses costing $349 list. Again, if I search for "best shooting glasses" they don't even make the list -- any list.

What do you mean by better? What problems/limitations, etc. are you having from your current set of shooting glasses?

My clear lens ballistic-rated ESS is just $50... Have no issues with either fiber optic iron sights and/or red dots in competition shooting.

Personally, there are other areas to spend the $$$ rather than overpriced shooting glasses unless
  • You just have money to burn
  • You need a custom fit
  • You need Rx/prescriptions
  • You just need cool "gear"

BTW, Hunters Gold will send you sample frames for FREE to check your fit before they make the lenses.

_
Old 07-31-2022, 4:06 PM

I have $16.88 Howard Light ones from Amazon, bought in 2018, and they are pretty scratched up now. I was thinking that a yellow lens might make it easier to see the red dot.
Old 07-31-2022, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have and still use a very vintage pair of Bosch & Lomb yellow shooting glasses. The lens clarity and quality I have not been able to find as good in others I've looked at but I'm sure they're out there.
Old 07-31-2022, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have $16.88 Howard Light ones from Amazon, bought in 2018, and they are pretty scratched up now. I was thinking that a yellow lens might make it easier to see the red dot.
Just get another one, or find an alternative cheaper one... As I mentioned above, I primarily use a clear lens - it is a hassle to keep switching lens color depending on conditions. For one, I am not hunting - keeping it simple. I use a baseball cap to avoid glare, if required (additionally, the brim does serve as another "safety measure" for any fragment that may pass through the top of the glasses).

PS: Depending on the background of your targets, that yellow lens with a red dot may become an issue... I chalk that to my own experience...

You do know that lots of stuff gets banged up/scratched in the shooting world, don't you? Would you want your Ruby Project and/or Hunters Gold be scratched up and it would be a couple hundred $$$ to replace? (Although Hunters has a "one-time" free replacement, if I would recall).

Good thing with the "cheaper" ones is that you can buy a few, others to have as a backup (I have an extra in my range bag).

_

Last edited by rodralig; 07-31-2022 at 5:21 PM.. Reason: comment on using yellow lenses
Old 08-01-2022, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
What do you mean by better? What problems/limitations, etc. are you having from your current set of shooting glasses?

Personally, there are other areas to spend the $$$ rather than overpriced shooting glasses unless
  • You need Rx/prescriptions
That's where a good set of prescription glasses can make a difference. Most people trying to use their progressive glasses notice an improvement when switching to a dedicated single vision set of glasses. The issue is figuring out the proper distance to set the script. For rifles with iron sights, whether NRA Highpower or Olympic smallbore the formula is pretty well known. However, I'm still haven't nailed down what works well for pistol iron sights.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 08-01-2022 at 7:11 AM..
Old 08-01-2022, 9:30 AM

ESS Crossbow Suppressor here. I went with the kit so it has both flat temples for over the ear protection and some thicker standard ones. They fit my big head and have high quality lenses that are removable/swappable. I like the copper ones the best, great for red dots, fiber fronts and even orange clays.
Old 08-05-2022, 1:11 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

All the cool kids have been using Hunter's HD Gold since they made themselves known in the competitor space a few years ago.

Last edited by RoundEye; 08-21-2022 at 8:44 AM..
Old 08-12-2022, 1:53 PM

I currently use Rudy Project Rydon shooting glasses. Prescription provided by my Eye Doc.

Here is a link to a 35% discount on their Facebook page--> https://www.facebook.com/rudyprojectshooting

My master eye is set to focus on my front sight. While my non-dominant eye is set for target distance.
Old 08-19-2022, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They are highly regarded by some shooters, but seem to be in a universe of their own.

... but here in California I would have to order them blindly, not knowing if they even fit my head.
I first ran across their booth at the IDPA Nationals in CO, right next to the Mark 7 display, and they also had a display up in Sacto during our Regional Championship (The Western). You'll also find them at major USPSA matches.

I think I first heard about them at a Kitta Busse class. I've seen a lot of top shooters, on the West Coast, wearing them at matches. They also sponsor matches

They are a family owned company. The president is who you'll meet at matches. He has a full selection of frames for you to try and he'll mark them for you while you wait.

Quote:
I'm not sure if Hunters isn't just a great marketing scheme for glasses costing $349 list.

No money up front. You get to try the glasses out for a month and they'll make changes if they don't work for you.

I got them because of how clear they were and the coverage they offered. A prescription pair was only $378...one eye set for my front sight and the other set for distance.

Took a bit to get used to them as I wasn't used to seeing both the front sight and the target that sharply in focus at the same time