Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 3:35 PM

Default Selling your old duty pistol that is no longer use

Hi, I’m asking for a friend.

He’s currently in homeland and they changed their official duty pistol from Glock to Sig last year. He previously purchased the Glock through the agency and he wants to transfer it to his brother. There was no paperwork and was told the Glock is owned by him and it’s not registered. His impression was he must register it before he can transfer it? If so, which registration form.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2021, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycache View Post
Hi, I’m asking for a friend.

He’s currently in homeland and they changed their official duty pistol from Glock to Sig last year. He previously purchased the Glock through the agency and he wants to transfer it to his brother. There was no paperwork and was told the Glock is owned by him and it’s not registered. His impression was he must register it before he can transfer it? If so, which registration form.

Thanks in advance.
^^^^ find this hard to believe

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 05-06-2021, 4:29 PM

Nothing in that OP sounds right. Is he on the tv show “Homeland”? Why doesn’t he ask the executive producer?
Old 05-06-2021, 4:46 PM

This sounds so wrong on so many fronts. The guns is owned by Homeland?

There is no paperwork? Everything comes with paperwork. No agency can purchase a firearm without paperwork. If the gun was issued or given to him for use there is paperwork. It’s not his to sell.

There is more to the story which is sounding like a fable..

Old 05-06-2021, 4:55 PM

I assume “Homeland” is a really awkward reference to Department of Homeland Security.
Old 05-06-2021, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Somewhere there is a fed bean counter having a stroke over missing Glocks.
Old 05-06-2021, 6:23 PM

I’m guessing OP’s friend likes to attract the attention of ICE-OPR and/or DHS-OIG. This will not end well for your friend.
Old 05-06-2021, 6:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Ah yes, the old "I'm asking for a friend".

There's always paperwork with the federal government.

burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns
Old 05-06-2021, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

O/P, love your Calguns handle. I'd brush up on singing "The Folsom Prison Blues".
Old 05-06-2021, 7:08 PM

Wow. Such mockery, I guess just trying to help a friend he really doesn’t know. But sounds like I shouldn’t be involved is the message I’m getting. I’ll let him handle it on his own.

Old 05-06-2021, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

The reason you're getting ripped is because there's ALWAYS some paperwork from a firearm being transferred from a government agency to another entity. "No paperwork" is a good indication the equipment is likely stolen government property.

Your "friend" should know this on how they exactly obtained this surplus government firearm.

If your friend privately purchased the firearm for duty use, this is a different story. Then, no issue. If it was government property, then there are questions to be answered.

I can tell you exactly how my former City owned duty firearm was legally transferred to me.

Last edited by FLIGHT762; 05-06-2021 at 7:27 PM..
Old 05-06-2021, 7:24 PM

Ok. I’ll be blunt. Your friend isn’t telling you the whole story. Federal law prohibits the resale of excess or surplus weapons from Federal LE agencies. In the words of the General Services Administration, who handles excess/surplus property, "They may be sold only for scrap after total destruction”.

A firearm that is personally owned by a federal LEO (i.e. purchased with the agent’s funds) is one thing. Several agencies will even help facilitate the purchase of a sidearm or rifle for duty use so you don’t have to stand in a long line at an FFL. The key is that the agent paid for the weapon from the start. In the case of when a federal agency transitions to a new or different weapon or just plain don’t want them anymore, the old ones, which are agency owned, can be transferred via GSA to another agency, but NOT to an individual.

Getting involved in any sale or should I say theft of federally owned property, especially firearms, as a federal LEO, will land your friend in prison.

Last edited by BayAreaGuy2021; 05-06-2021 at 8:00 PM..
Old 05-06-2021, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaGuy2021 View Post
Ok. I’ll be blunt. Your friend isn’t telling you the whole story. Federal law prohibits the resale of excess or surplus weapons from Federal LE agencies. In the words of the General Services Administration, who handles excess/surplus property, "They may be sold only for scrap after total destruction”..
^^^^ Yup. Hell the DoD can't even sell surplus ammunition. It has to be taken apart and scrapped, even down to shredding empty .50 BMG cases

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 06-16-2021, 12:00 PM

For you non Fed Leos,

Under certain dhs agencies you can purchase direct from certain websites that sell directly to FLEOS. in the dhs homepage for your 3 letter agencies website there is a link of approved personal owned weapons. you get a letter from your supervisor, send it to them, they take your order and two to three happy days later you have a box waiting on your desk. all the paperwork you have is said memo from your boss and a shipping invoice that may or may not include sale price. also when you first purchase you agree that you are not purchasing for commercial purposes.
Old 06-16-2021, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchief View Post
For you non Fed Leos,

Under certain dhs agencies you can purchase direct from certain websites that sell directly to FLEOS. in the dhs homepage for your 3 letter agencies website there is a link of approved personal owned weapons. you get a letter from your supervisor, send it to them, they take your order and two to three happy days later you have a box waiting on your desk. all the paperwork you have is said memo from your boss and a shipping invoice that may or may not include sale price. also when you first purchase you agree that you are not purchasing for commercial purposes.
How do you get around the federally required 4473?
Old 06-16-2021, 4:26 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
How do you get around the federally required 4473?
Lots of exemptions to that requirement, some listed here.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ne...ume-2/download

(Yes, this is old, but most if not all of the exemptions talked about in it still exist in some form, as do California versions of them as well)
Old 06-18-2021, 9:57 PM

When my agency changed the service pistol, they let me buy my old issued one. The department had me fill out the form for the gun, and they registered it with the DOJ. So, if you run the serial number, it is registered to me. I doubt any agency will let the officer keep/buy the department gun without any record.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
When my agency changed the service pistol, they let me buy my old issued one. The department had me fill out the form for the gun, and they registered it with the DOJ. So, if you run the serial number, it is registered to me. I doubt any agency will let the officer keep/buy the department gun without any record.
^ This if the department has CA DOJ access to transfer the firearm.

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
Old 06-22-2021, 4:59 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Since the OP's last post was on May 6, I doubt if he will be responding and there really is no need for him to do so. Plenty of good info has been presented for anyone to read. Since that's the case, I'm closing this thread.
Closed Thread