Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-16-2015, 5:30 PM

retiredAFcop, I recommend that you should eat a Snikers Bar and mellow out...
Old 10-16-2015, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsghost View Post
It would also be nice to see some sense of urgency regarding getting the RP range back up. It's been over six weeks, and there isn't even a plan.
USI did act quickly to get the experts to come in - it takes a few weeks to get an appointment with these guys - and nobody can make any real plans until the reports come in, so USI will have a better idea of what they can/should do.

Last edited by retiredAFcop; 10-16-2015 at 5:45 PM..
Old 10-16-2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsghost View Post
Of course, none of that matters, since it does not impact the shotgun shooters, who, as retiredAFcop has pointed out, are firmly in control of all things USI.
Actually, some of the shotgun guys are very concerned about this - because without the "cash cow" of the public R&P range, the shotgun fields will have to make more money to keep USI afloat.

Since shoot fees just went up, it seems like the range would want to look at other ways to increase that revenue and/or cut expenses.
Old 10-16-2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykev View Post
The comment above about being "in the red" $9,000 a month is "cherry picking". That particular line item was due to some maintenance issues, purchasing of supplies/merchandise for resale, and other normal expenses. So "lost" is not accurate, that month we had "expenses" over what was taken in by sales. Perhaps the fact poster can "get up to speed" by reviewing .
Perhaps you can get up to speed by reviewing the information put out by the USI treasurer, that has beeen disseminated to members, and that you have even repeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykev View Post
Point: I do agree with Bart (Diablo). USI is "projecting" the $9K loss IF the range remains closed, based upon numbers from the CFO.
Point: You are saying the same thing that I said - that there is a projected $9k a month loss while the R&P ranges are closed, but you chose to attack me for saying it, and claim that I was "not accurate" when I referred to the same projection.

And people wonder why a club member might say that he was "tired of being lied to".

Last edited by retiredAFcop; 10-16-2015 at 6:40 PM..
Old 10-16-2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN View Post
retiredAFcop, I recommend that you should eat a Snikers Bar and mellow out...
Maybe you should mellow out.

I'd suggest a healthier snack than a candy bar for you, but sock puppets don't have to worry about sugar, fat, or carbs.
Old 10-16-2015, 6:42 PM

retiredAFcop...Funny guy...please proceed with alienating yourself further from the clubs that makeup USI...
Old 10-16-2015, 7:31 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This thread is coming very close to being closed.
Old 10-16-2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
This thread is coming very close to being closed.
I understand why, but please don't.

Just stop the turd slinging, guys.
Old 10-16-2015, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

I agree. I'd rather see their thread stay open, but if it the tone keeps up, better close it down. This is getting ridiculous.

Sent by a Monkey in Outer Space
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-17-2015, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN View Post
retiredAFcop...Funny guy...please proceed with alienating yourself further from the clubs that makeup USI...
I don't mind alienating myself from the self-serving clique that "runs" USI - a clique which is very different than the regular members of the clubs themselves. And that is a problem.

Last edited by retiredAFcop; 10-18-2015 at 7:47 AM..
Old 10-17-2015, 8:48 AM

A small bit of good news...I can report that one of the two "expert range designers" was at USI on Friday morning. I do not have any details about the review and meeting. I am sure details will be forth coming upon the completion of the review of the second "expert range designer". I confirmed that the second "expert range designer" is scheduled to be at USI on this coming Monday...
Old 10-17-2015, 9:35 AM

This is good news. And on topic. Thx.
Old 10-18-2015, 7:14 AM

Well this thread has gone off the rails.

Regardless I'm pretty bummed about USI being shut down, it's the only place I like spending my $. Guns fishing and stuff can go to hell, the ranger masters at Chabot are over zealous, its gets annoying hearing them always yell at people for nothing. SPORTSMENS was the best bay area range I've been to.
Old 10-18-2015, 7:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic4444 View Post
Well this thread has gone off the rails.

Regardless I'm pretty bummed about USI being shut down, it's the only place I like spending my $. Guns fishing and stuff can go to hell, the ranger masters at Chabot are over zealous, its gets annoying hearing them always yell at people for nothing. SPORTSMENS was the best bay area range I've been to.
Come down and give Livermore a try.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 10-18-2015, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post

I second this!!!

Livermore is still my favorite spot.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-18-2015, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They won't let you shoot offhand to 50 or 100 yards. Other than that it is a good range.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 10-18-2015, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
They won't let you shoot offhand to 50 or 100 yards. Other than that it is a good range.
There is no problem shooting 50 and 100 yards offhand if it works for you. The problem is the no blue sky geometry of the shooting bays can be problematic for some and not for others. Taller folks will have problems.

Old 10-18-2015, 6:02 PM

Quote:
There is no problem shooting 50 and 100 yards offhand if it works for you. The problem is the no blue sky geometry of the shooting bays can be problematic for some and not for others. Taller folks will have problems.
Livermore was my "go to" range, even b4 USI closed because it's easier for me to get to and I shoot there often.

I'm only 5'8" tall (what they called "average" back in the day; short now) and there's NO way that I can shoot anything -- pistol/rifle or shotgun -- at 50/100 yards there off hand/standing because of the restrictive ceiling/overhang which is purposefully designed to prevent rounds from being projected into the sky. Maybe if I was kneeling, but definitely not standing.
Old 10-18-2015, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Livermore was my "go to" range, even b4 USI closed because it's easier for me to get to and I shoot there often.

I'm only 5'8" tall (what they called "average" back in the day; short now) and there's NO way that I can shoot anything -- pistol/rifle or shotgun -- at 50/100 yards there off hand/standing because of the restrictive ceiling/overhang which is purposefully designed to prevent rounds from being projected into the sky. Maybe if I was kneeling, but definitely not standing.
I have seen some shorter folks shoot without problem. Others may take extremely wide stances to lower themselves or bend their knees. Some will shoot sitting without using the bench.

Last edited by AAShooter; 10-18-2015 at 6:09 PM..
Old 10-18-2015, 9:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I'm a Livermore member. I'm 6' and I can only shoot pistol standing. The overhang is to prevent high shots that may bounce over the hill as was claimed by residents on the other side when the 200 yd. range was open.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 10-19-2015, 3:01 AM

Quote:
L
The folks at USI may have to get used to this too, since the redesign may incorporate some no blue sky features like Livermore.
Old 10-19-2015, 6:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
The folks at USI may have to get used to this too, since the redesign may incorporate some no blue sky features like Livermore.
A no blue sky design is set up based on a shooting position. A range could be put together to accommodate a variety of shooting positions. Not just bench work.

Sadly Livermore is considering no center-fire rifles into the 25 yard berm. If they go that route, it would essentially force center-fire rifle shooters into bench work only.

Old 10-19-2015, 9:15 AM

Quote:
A no blue sky design is set up based on a shooting position. A range could be put together to accommodate a variety of shooting positions. Not just bench work.

Sadly Livermore is considering no center-fire rifles into the 25 yard berm. If they go that route, it would essentially force center-fire rifle shooters into bench work only.
Not to side track the thread, but that is because the berms are getting torn up and the target bases at 100 yards are getting hit from larger center fire calibers penetrating the 25 yard berm.
Old 10-21-2015, 8:09 PM

A message from the Diablo Board... Sure wish they'd get off their butts and do something

Hi Members,

The range developers USI hired were here last Friday and Monday this week, USI is still waiting on their final recommendations, though everything was discussed verbally already and everyone knows the salient points of areas that need to be fixed.

USI needs to meet and review the results of those recommendations and come to a consensus of the improvements to implement. Then begins the process of hiring of a contractor to start work. Saturday I called for a meeting to happen tonight, but there was no support….so no meeting.

USI is not closed, and should have no problems resuming operations on the ranges once the lead recovery/recycling is completed (that work started this week as well), and improvements to range based on the developers recommendations are completed.

Currently the county has an 8 week backlog for the permitting and review process alone, so I do not foresee the R&P ranges being usable for a few months.

Please be aware that Both the Chabot and Livermore ranges are providing discounts when you show your Diablo membership card so you can continue shooting and get good value from your membership.

Also there is a conversational thread on CalGuns, though it contains a lot of arguing and finger pointing. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1114348

The regularly scheduled USI meetings are the second Monday of the month at 6pm in the Clubhouse.

Bart McGlothin
Diablo Rod and Gun Club President

kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 10-21-2015, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update!!!

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-22-2015, 3:10 AM

Is the multipurpose range being opened then? or it is still a shotgun only range?

NRA Instructor all advanced disciplines and CRSO. USAS Olympic Appointed Coach. NEXT instructor. CA Certified Firearm Instructor.
2014 Walther LG400-E Blue Edition Air Rifle
2014 Steyr LP10E Air Pistol
Old 10-22-2015, 4:59 AM

Yes anyone know if Multipurpose range is open? USI is my go to range, sucks to see it closed for this long.
Old 10-22-2015, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradin View Post
Is the multipurpose range being opened then? or it is still a shotgun only range?
No. The MPR is open to only airguns currently.

The sooner the clubs want to meet and get things discussed the sooner the range can get opened back up.

kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 10-22-2015, 8:06 AM

Come on ppl lets get it poping..my kids miss the muskiteers and i miss emptying my clips

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2015, 8:08 AM

I think its political jargon coming from the occult group that shares the hill with us

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 AM

Could be lost of things - including AP. Yes, lots of control over where the bullets go BEFORE striking steel targets. little control over where they go after that.

And yes - there are plenty of shooters on the regular pistol and rifle ranges (especially rifle range) that hit the steel (pistol - although those SHOULD get caught by the overhangs). and especially bad shooters on the rifle range that hit way low in the dirt and could easily be skipping bullet off the ground and up over the hill.

Could also be silhouette and others on the members range doing the same - either skipping off the ground or off of steel.

Or they could easily be planted, and not just by anti's.

Concord is storming hard at getting the weapons station property developed, and I have said for years now that the range is in danger from that as the city will not ant that anywhere near its bright shiny new development. (Developing all the way to Willow Pass road area along the 4)...

It would be great if there was a report available showing the actual bullets to see where they might have come from, and if they are pistol or rifle bullets.

Right now there is just way too little information.

Just

NRA Life, CRPA Life, SASS Life, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, FSC Instructor
Old 10-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Should be able to shoot your rifle at ranges over 25 yards with out a bench - pretty standard practice for hunters to practice various non-bench position out to longer ranges.

Had been meaning to use the standing only 50/100 section at USI next trip...

Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Hi, I didn't read through all seven pages, so pardon me if this has been answered:

I would like to know if the action pistol range is also closed? I check several sites and couldn't get an answer.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
I would like to know if the action pistol range is also closed? I check several sites and couldn't get an answer.
All Rifle and Pistol shooting has been suspended at all ranges other than Air Guns which float around from Multipurpose and AP depending on the airgun event.

AP is closed to all shooting other than air guns... Even shotguns arent allowed down there.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSkinner View Post

Concord is storming hard at getting the weapons station property developed, and I have said for years now that the range is in danger from that as the city will not ant that anywhere near its bright shiny new development. (Developing all the way to Willow Pass road area along the 4)...
Finally someone mentioned the $6 billions land reuse project of the Concord Naval Weapons Station.

It is a 5,000 acres huge scale project that will create a mixed use of 12,000 residential units, 6 millions sqft retail & business space, walkable regional parks, infrastructure improvements, etc., etc.

Looking up the development map, the border of the reuse land is just right across Hwy 4 from USI. Very close.

Consider the scale and money of the project, it already has lots of controversial developments... Earlier this month the Concord City Attorney (who was writing an investigation report on improper lobbying of one of the competing developers) just 'jumped himself out' of a parking garage and died. Hence, delayed the city progress of choosing the final developer for this multi-billions dollars gold mine. Hmm.

In addition to a rifle/pistol/shotgun shooting range is in danger being so near by this shiny new development.... Consider the USI is located on a land right across Hwy 4 from this project, one would wonder the future increase value of the land and zoning, and developers might already think about master-plans on the land (developers think years/decades ahead.)

Wink!

http://www.contracostatimes.com/brea...tation-project

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...us-lennar.html

http://www.contracostatimes.com/barn...-naval-weapons

Old 10-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post

Looking up the development map, the border of the reuse land is just right across Hwy 4 from USI. Very close.
Not that your points arent valid but the CPA Range is a whole lot closer than USI. Im thinking theyll be the canary in the coal mine before USI is.

From the redevelopment website...

Quote:
The property is still owned by the Navy with the first parcels of land expected to transfer in spring of 2016. After the Phase 1 parcels are transferred, it will take another year or more for the necessary specific planning/design work to be completed and infrastructure to be built, including water, power and main roadways.

After the site is improved, the master developer will seek various specialty developers for the housing, retail, office, commercial and sports venues planned for the property. The process of building out the project will take several decades.

Old 10-22-2015, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Should be able to shoot your rifle at ranges over 25 yards with out a bench - pretty standard practice for hunters to practice various non-bench position out to longer ranges.

Had been meaning to use the standing only 50/100 section at USI next trip...
I agree. Lots of folks want to practice off-hand shooting even if at restricted distances. Further, the every popular AR is often used for home defense purposes and people want to practice from 7 yards on out.

Old 10-23-2015, 8:44 AM

Any word of when SO's investigation will be done?

Have to say i think simply tilling the soil on the rifle and MP range could probably eliminate the most likely culprit of low shots ricocheting off hard pack, especially FMJs. Not dogging FMJs, and don't want to see a ban (shot plenty there myself, but I kept them on the target at least), so simple actions that would keep the range open and keep allowing all types of rounds would be great.

Hopefully finding isn't all 5.56/7.62 FMJs in 55 and 62 and 147 and 123 grain bullets and just add fuel to the insanity over "military" ammo and esp. The nonarmor piercing "armor piercing" green tip and 7.62 rounds.

Old 10-23-2015, 9:10 AM

There is no investigation from the SO... It was a service call and a report was created from that call.

Quote:
Any word of when SO's investigation will be done?

Old 10-23-2015, 9:26 AM

Reclamation activities are well underway at USI's MPR, AP, and R&P ranges